Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lincoln County New Mexico Historical Markers

 
<i>Back of</i> Capitán Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 24, 2011
Back of Capitán Marker
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — CapitánPopulation 1400 -- Elevation 6350 Ft.
Many incidents in the Lincoln County War, 1876-1879, occurred in the area around Capitan. The promoters Charles B. and John A. Eddy platted the townsite in 1900, after building a spur of the El Paso & Northeastern Railroad from Carrizozo in order to . . . — Map (db m45949) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — CapitánPopulation 1400 -- Elevation 6350 Ft.
[This is a two-sided marker] Side A: Many incidents in the Lincoln County War, 1876-1879, occurred in the area around Capitán. The promoters Charles B. and John A. Eddy platted the townsite in 1900, after building a spur of the . . . — Map (db m45950) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — CapitánPopulation 1400 -- Elevation 6350 Ft.
Many incidents in the Lincoln County War, 1876-1879, occurred in the area around Capitán. The promoters Charles B. and John A. Eddy platted the townsite in 1900, after building a spur of the El Paso & Northeastern Railroad from Carrizozo in order to . . . — Map (db m45951) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — Eve Ball (1890-1984)Author and Preservationist
Side A: A pioneer in the preservation of the history of people in Southeastern New Mexico, Eve wrote over 150 articles and numerous books chronicling Mescalero and Chiricahua Apaches, Anglo and Hispanic settlers. Her honesty, patience . . . — Map (db m45957) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — Fort Stanton1855-1896
Fort Stanton, named for Captain Henry Stanton, was established to control the Mescalero Apaches. It was burned and evacuated by Union troops in 1861, held briefly by the Confederates, and then reoccupied by Colonel Kit Carson for the Union in 1862. . . . — Map (db m45954) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — Fort Stanton
Established Apr., 1855 by Brig. Gnl. Garland. Named for Capt. Stanton, killed near here in fighting Apaches. One of several forts controlling Indians and aiding westward migration. Partly destroyed, 1861, before a Confederate approach, reoccupied . . . — Map (db m45955) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — Smokey Bear
This is the resting place of the first living Smokey Bear. In 1950 when Smokey was a tiny cub, wildfire burned his forest home in the nearby Capitan Mountains of the Lincoln National Forest. Firefighters found the badly burned cub clinging to a . . . — Map (db m25111) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Capitan — 480 — Smokey Bear Historical Park
This park commemorates Smokey Bear and describes the history and development of this national symbol of forest fire protection. The original Smokey is buried here within sight of the mountain where he was found orphaned by a fire raging in the . . . — Map (db m119757) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Carrizozo — CarrizozoPopulation 1,222 – Elevation 5,438
Carrizozo, county seat of Lincoln County, was established in 1899, a new town on the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad. The ghost town of White Oaks, once a booming mining camp, is nearby. Billy the Kid, Sheriff Pat Garrett, Governor Lew Wallace, . . . — Map (db m45909) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Carrizozo — CarrizozoPopulation 1,222 - Elevation 5,438 Ft
Carrizozo, county seat of Lincoln County, was established in 1899, a new town on the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad. The ghost town of White Oaks, once a booming mining camp, is nearby. Billy the Kid, Sheriff Pat Garrett, Governor Lew Wallace, . . . — Map (db m45910) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Carrizozo — CarrizozoPopulation 1,222 - Elevation 5,438 Ft
Carrizozo, county seat of Lincoln County, was established in 1899, a new town on the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad. The ghost town of White Oaks, once a booming mining camp, is nearby. Billy the Kid, Sheriff Pat Garrett, Governor Lew Wallace, . . . — Map (db m45912) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Carrizozo — CarrizozoPopulation 1,222 – Elevation 5,438
Carrizozo, county seat of Lincoln County, was established in 1899, a new town on the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad. The ghost town of White Oaks, once a booming mining camp, is nearby. Billy the Kid, Sheriff Pat Garrett, Governor Lew Wallace, . . . — Map (db m45914) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Carrizozo — MalpaisValley of Fires
Spanish explorers called this extensive lava flow malpais, or badlands. The river of lava that flowed down this "Valley of Fires" erupted from a volcano some 7 miles north of here about 1000 years ago. Extending through the valley for 44 miles, the . . . — Map (db m45911) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Corona — Corona, New MexicoPopulation: 210 (1990 Census) Elevation: 6666 feet Founded in 1903 Incorporated in 1947
The earliest settlers in the area were the Spanish ranchers who raised sheep and cattle on the open rangelands surrounding Corona. In the 1850's, a stage line was established from Las Vegas to White Oaks and Fort Stanton, transporting passengers, . . . — Map (db m45907) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Corona — Greathouse Station and Tavern
In late November, 1880, William “Billy the Kid” Bonney, David Rudabaugh and William Wilson were hiding out near here at a store and tavern operated by James Greathouse and a partner named Kuch. The night of November 27, they were . . . — Map (db m45908) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — American Merchant Marine Monuments
In Memory Of The Men And Women Of The American Merchant Marine ----------------------- American Merchant Marine Veterans This ancient anchor is a tribute to Merchant Mariners the world over. Donated by Betty Wattam in memory of Joseph . . . — Map (db m102809) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Barracks / Dining HallBuilding 6
Photo etching caption: Soldiers of the 10th Infantry Co. E in front of the barracks in 1892 This building, like most, has been modified numerous times to suit the needs of the entities that managed it. Originally built in 1855 as a . . . — Map (db m86182) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Buildings 17 - 20
Originally built by the Army in 1876 as four separate buildings, these adobe structures replaced older laundress quarters attached to the barracks. In 1928, they were joined together to create seven apartments for hospital staff. ‘Four women . . . — Map (db m85351) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — CCC Camp/German Internment Camp
As part of the ‘New Deal’ envisioned by President Roosevelt, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was built in 1934 across the Rio Bravo from the fort. The Fort Stanton CCC employed civilians in soil conservation, forestry and women’s programs . . . — Map (db m85347) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Chapel
The Catholic chapel was originally built in 1913 on a wing of building 11 across the parade ground. In 1938, buildings 10, 11 and 12 were demolished, but the chapel was left free standing. A new stone façade was added to the old chapel consisting . . . — Map (db m85868) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Commanding Officer's QuartersBuilding 1
During the Army era, the fort’s commander and his family lived in this beautiful stone structure. During the Hospital’s tenure, it was the residence of the Medical Officer in Charge. Over the years, it is the only building that has remained . . . — Map (db m86089) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Commissary WarehouseBuilding 12
Photo etchings caption: Building 12, torn down in 1930, was actually attached to Building 13. When it was taken down, a chunk of the roof fell into a lady’s bedroom. Originally built in 1855 of adobe, the building that occupied this . . . — Map (db m86189) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Community House
This beautiful building was constructed in 1931 for use by civilian employees of the hospital (and their families) for social activities. Patients utilized the ‘Seaman’s Social Club’ located just to the west of this building. In most aspects of life . . . — Map (db m85772) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Administration BuildingBuilding 9
This building, like most others on the parade ground, was first constructed in 1855 as a single story, stone structure. It included an Adjutant’s office, library, and guard house. Later remodels added a second floor and arched porch. It was known as . . . — Map (db m85802) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton
Named for Captain Henry W. Stanton, Fort Stanton was established May 4, 1855 as a military fort to protect settlers from Apache attacks. Operated as a military fortification until 1896, it played a part in the Civil War, was the first Tuberculosis . . . — Map (db m119454) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton Cave
Fort Stanton Cave Has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark The site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man's environment . . . — Map (db m108359)
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton Medical Center
Established in Eighteen Hundred Fifty Five as a fort and cavalry post to control Geronimo’s Mescalero Apaches. Named after Captain Henry W. Stanton, First United States Dragoons, who was killed in action with the Indians. By a Presidential . . . — Map (db m121962) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — GuardhouseBuilding 8
James Dolan, Emil Fritz, W.W. Martin and Lawrence Murphy established a business that would become the focus of the Lincoln County War. Fritz and Murphy (and possibly Dolan) served at Fort Stanton as soldiers. Originally built of adobe in 1879, . . . — Map (db m85804) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Hospital AdministrationBuilding 7
T.B. Patients in front of the hospital administration building. This building was constructed of local stone by troops of the 1st Dragoons and 8th Infantry as a barracks in 1855. It was utilized in that capacity until the fort was closed by the . . . — Map (db m85808) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Japanese Segregation Camp No. 1
During 1945, 17 men of Japanese ancestry were imprisoned here in what was officially known as Japanese Segregation Camp No. 1.

Shortly after Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor, the federal government confined more than 120,000 Japanese American . . . — Map (db m121880) HM

New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — L.G. Murphy Sutler Store
On the site located 100 yards west of this sign resided the L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (the post trader). Begun in 1866 by Lawrence G. Murphy and Emil Fritz (both former Dragoons stationed at Fort Stanton), it was a large, rambling, adobe structure of . . . — Map (db m123794) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — New Hospital(Site of Building 5)
This new hospital building replaced the old tubercular hospital (buildings 10 and 11) in 1936. It was state of the art when constructed and boasted a bed capacity of 85 patients and the first elevator in the state of New Mexico. Doctors that . . . — Map (db m85869) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Nurse's QuartersSite of Building 11
This building was constructed in 1940 on the site of building 11 (formerly barracks and then the original tubercular hospital). While it does not match the style or construction of most of the original fort buildings, it does reflect the Territorial . . . — Map (db m85923) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer’s QuartersBuilding 4
Constructed in 1855, this building was originally a single story complex of four quarters for officers and their families. It has evolved over time to be more spacious and comfortable with a second story, bay windows and covered porches. Seen in the . . . — Map (db m86307) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer's QuartersBuilding 3
This building was constructed in 1883 of adobe. It was designed to house two officers and their families. During the hospital years, it was used as doctor’s housing, boasting two finely appointed apartments. What a privilege it was to be . . . — Map (db m85928) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer's QuartersBuilding 13
Built in 1855, as a single story, gabled roof structure of simple design and construction, this building housed officers and their families. It was here that 2nd Lieutenant John J. Pershing was quartered in 1887 and where he met his future wife. On . . . — Map (db m86734) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Stables and Corrals
Corrals have stood on this site since 1855. The current rock corrals were built in 1877 to replace older ones that burned. These structures housed horses and mules necessary for Cavalry and freighting operations. When the hospital took over Fort . . . — Map (db m85775) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — TB Tent Cottages
On these terraces were located 40 – 70 tent cottages that housed ambulatory tuberculosis patients between 1900 and 1963. These two man cottages had roll up canvas sides that were kept open for the fresh air regarded as essential to curing . . . — Map (db m85768) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Glencoe — John H. TunstallMurder Site
In one of the Lincoln County War’s earliest violent encounters, John H. Tunstall was shot and killed at a nearby site on February 18, 1878. Tunstall’s death set off a series of violent reprisals between his friends, among whom was William . . . — Map (db m46009) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Glencoe — John H. Tunstall Murder Site (Actual)
John H Tunstall Age 24 Killed Here February 18, 1878 Triggering Lincoln County War Erected By L. C. Hist. Society Feb. 18, 1978 — Map (db m87061) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Hondo — Historic Lincoln, New Mexico
Just 10 miles west on US Highway 380 you will discover one of New Mexico’s hidden treasures, the town of Lincoln. Tucked away in the beautiful Bonito River Valley, Lincoln has barely changed since the Lincoln County War (1878-1881). Lincoln is . . . — Map (db m79141) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Hondo — San Patricio
This farming and ranching community was the scene of many events associated with the Lincoln County War. In July 1878, a posse ransacked the village while looking for William "Billy the Kid" Bonney and others of the faction known as the "Regulators" . . . — Map (db m46005) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Col. Dudley's Camping Place
Encamped a few yards away on July 19, 1878 were U.S. troops from Fort Stanton. Allegedly brought to protect lives and property, their presence quickened Murphy party into firing McSween's residence and pillaging the Tunstall store. — Map (db m45989) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Earliest Courthouse
Three room adobe, seat of law and justice when Lincoln County was established, 1869. Routine issuing of warrants and records, trials for crimes large and small, all issued from it. Now called Priest's House, belongs with neighboring church. — Map (db m45971) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Lincoln
Side A: Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850's, after the U. S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Rio Bonito, the name of the community was changed to Lincoln when . . . — Map (db m46007) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — 421 — Lincoln
This is a two-sided marker Side A: Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850s, after the U.S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Río Bonito, the name of the community . . . — Map (db m119774) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Lincoln Historic DistrictNational Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m120329) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Montano Store
Owned by Montano family, one of first in Lincoln. Operated as a general store by Jose Montano, neutral in Lincoln County War. Its 25 man garrison of McSween men, led by Martin Chaves, were driven out by Col. Dudley and troops in July fight. — Map (db m45972) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Murphy-Dolan Store
Built in 1874, as place of business and residence of L.G. Murphy & Co., a dominant factor in area in 1870's, and headquarters of the Murphy faction during Lincoln County War. Firm failed, and store became county gov't and judicial center for 33 . . . — Map (db m119775) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Old Dolan Home
Built in 1888 by J.J. Dolan, who took part in the L.C. War on the Murphy side, and afterwards was conspicuous in county affairs. In later times the building served as a hotel, the most familiar name being Bonito Inn. — Map (db m45961) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — 12 — San Juan Church
La Iglesia de San Juan Bautista was dedicated in 1887 and was restored by the New Mexico State Monuments in 1984. — Map (db m45970) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Site of Old Wortley Hotel
In this frontier hostelry lodged judges during court terms, court's retainers. Here Robt. M. Ollinger, at table, noon, April 28, 1881, heard shooting from Courthouse, rushed to his death at hands of William H. Bonney. — Map (db m45960) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Site of Squire Wilson's Home
South some 75 yds. was the lone adobe house of J.B. Wilson, noted J.P. in Lincoln Co. War. At night, Mar 17, 1879 he helped Gov. Lew Wallace meet with Bill Bonney, leader of remaining McSween men, and arranged a surrender under promise of protection. — Map (db m45969) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Site of the McSween Home
Opening a law office in Lincoln, 1875, Alex A. McSween rebuilt an old adobe into a ten room house. On July 19, 1878, Peppin's posse fired it to oust inmates. Leading victim of this strategm was McSween himself. The burned-down house was never . . . — Map (db m45992) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Torreon
One of Lincoln's earliest structures. Built in the 1850's, its thick walls protected Spanish-Americans against the Apaches. In Lincoln Co. War Murphy's sharpshooters were here stationed. In 1937 Chaves County Historical Society undertook restoration . . . — Map (db m45990) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Tunstall-McSween Store
J.H. Tunstall and A. A. McSween erected-1877. A focal point in Lincoln County War in which both partners were slain. Despite looting by Seven Rivers group, building continued as a store under pioneer merchants, notably John M. Penfield. — Map (db m45991) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Ruidoso — Old Dowlin Mill
Part original structure. Famous landmark for 100 years. Originally grist and sawmill. Used as rendezvous by William H. Bonney (Billy, the Kid), Pat Garrett, Johnny Riley, J.J. Pershing (then Lt. at Ft. Stanton) and other historic figures. — Map (db m46014) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Ruidoso Downs — Old Dowlin Mill
Famous New Mexico landmark for over 100 years. Original building still stands and water turns massive water wheel during the summer. Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett and General Pershing visited here. Turn on NM 48, 2.7 miles to west, then proceed 1.4 . . . — Map (db m46011) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), White Oaks — Susan McSween Barber “Cattle Queen of New Mexico” 1845-1931
Her second husband was George Barber. Under the Desert Land Act, they patented 400 acres in 1883. The act required irrigating the land and in 1881 Susan built a dam across Three Rivers stream and a half-mile ditch to convey water to her property. By . . . — Map (db m103652) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), White Oaks — White Oaks
White Oaks grew rapidly after the discovery of gold in 1869. From tent city to bustling mining town, it was the largest town in Lincoln County with cultural events and an occasional bandit. Gold depletion and failure to grant railroad right-of-way . . . — Map (db m105813) HM

60 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.