Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Livingston Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Albany, Louisiana Marker image, Touch for more information
August 20, 2015
Albany, Louisiana Marker
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Albany — Albany, Louisiana
Town incorporated in 1953; first mayor was Grady Stewart. Railroad (B.R.H.& E.) established Albany in 1907-08. Crossed by old north-south Turnpike Road from Springfield to Natchez, MS. On portion of Spanish Headright granted to Nancy Setton in 1801. — Map (db m87573) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Albany — Hungarian Settlement
Known as Arpadhon, area is site of largest rural Hungarian settlement in U.S. Settlers attracted here in 1896 by Charles Brakenridge lumber mill. People bought cut-over timber land to farm and raise strawberries. — Map (db m87550) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Denham Springs — Denham Springs
Mineral spring area near here owned by William Denham 1829-1855. Hotel near the springs built prior to the Civil War. Hill’s Springs post office renamed Denham Springs in 1898. The village was incorporated in 1903. — Map (db m86398) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Denham Springs — Hebron Baptist Church
Oldest in Livingston Parish. Organized in April 1837. First church was log cabin about 3 miles south of here. Frame church built at this site in 1859 on 4 acres of land. 1918 and 1955 larger churches built. Thomas M. Bond first pastor. — Map (db m85155) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), French Settlement — French Settlement
"La Cote Francaise." Settled in 1800 via Amite River by French, German, and Italian "emigres." Jovial Creole culture was unique. Cypress sawmills, trapping, shingle making, farms and steamboat service once thrived here. — Map (db m87501) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Holden — Macedonia Baptist Church
Organized in 1856. Existing building constructed in 1898. Oldest Baptist church building in Livingston Parish. Drinking water furnished by ground water spring. Surrounding area settled by Anglo-Saxon Protestants in 1800's. — Map (db m88223) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Livingston — Centerville, Louisiana
Locally known by the above name, although the post office was named Springville. Served as parish seat, 1881 to 1941. Site of first electrocution in the state in 1941. Van Buren, the first parish seat, 1832-35, was on the east bank. — Map (db m87787) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Livingston — Livingston Parish
Created by legislature 1832. Named for Edward Livingston. Courthouse sites include: Van Buren 1832-1835 Springfield 1835-1872 Port Vincent 1872-1881 Centerville 1881-1941 Livingston 1941-Present — Map (db m86506) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Maurepas — Maurepas Island
Surrounded by Lake Maurepas, the Amite River, Bayou Pierre, the Petite Amite, and Blind River. Lake named by Iberville in 1699 for Comte de Maurepas. Area settled by French, Spanish, and German immigrants. — Map (db m87502) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Port Vincent — Port Vincent
Originally a Spanish settlement and early port on Amite River route from Mississippi River via Bayou Manchac. First called Scivicque's Ferry for Vincent Scivicque, native of Italy. Parish seat 1872-1881. — Map (db m86003) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Port Vincent — Port Vincent
Originally a Spanish settlement and early port on Amite River route from Mississippi River via Bayou Manchac. First called Scivicque's Ferry for Vincent Scivicque, native of Italy. Parish seat 1872-1881 — Map (db m96055) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Springfield — Carter Plantation
A Spanish land grant acquired by James Rheims in 1804. Thomas Freeman, fmc, built "Sycamore" 1817-1820. Colonel William Breed, first sheriff of Livingston Parish, purchased estate in 1838. George Richardson acquired the property in 1856, . . . — Map (db m86010) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Springfield — Haynes Settlement
. . . — Map (db m86502) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Springfield — Springfield
Oldest town in Livingston Parish. Incorporated in 1838. Named for abundant ground water springs. Connected to old Natchez Trace. Site of a Spanish fort about 1800. Parish seat from 1835-1872. Old courthouse still stands. — Map (db m87537) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Springfield — Springfield Cemetery Cannon
In memory of Sallie Martinez Martin, for the dedication of this cannon on December 16, 2006, in honor of her great-grandfather, Johann Dreystadt, and the preservation of the history of Springfield, LA. Johann was born December 23, 1831 in . . . — Map (db m86019) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Springfield — Springfield's Role in West Florida Revolution
Situated on El Camino Real (King's Highway), now LA Hwy 22, during Spanish reign (1783-1810). Site of stockade or small fort. In 1810 revolt against Spain, residents led by William Cooper remained loyal to Spanish authority. However, rebels led by . . . — Map (db m86020) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Walker — Salem Baptist Church
Organized September 11, 1854, by elders J.L. Simpson and George H. Washington. Oldest church in the old 8th Ward. Church was a public school in early 1900's. Destroyed by storms in 1908-1909. Served by Old Fields P.O. 1856-1935. — Map (db m85061) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Walker — Walker, Louisiana
Originally named Milton Old Field for Michael Milton who claimed land in 1853. Walker post office established in 1856. Named for Wm. E. Walker, MD, state legislator and organizer of Co. D 16th LA Inf., CSA. Town incorporated in 1909. — Map (db m88243) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Watson — Indians Along Amite River
The Amite River Phase (4000-1500 B.C.) of the Archaic Period was a local variation of a pre-ceramic Indian culture in the area. Gravel lured Indians to the Amite River, which today remains important for this resource. — Map (db m86004) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Watson — Watson
First official post office established near this site, February 20, 1894. Named after first postmaster, George W. Watson, whose family owned land that is now the center of Watson. — Map (db m108981) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.