Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Logan County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Belle Center Jail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 30, 2015
Belle Center Jail Marker
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — Belle Center Jail — Small Town Artifact in a Village Park
This structure is a former jail erected in Belle Center in 1880. It is thought to have been last used May 25, 1933 then retired by the City Fathers. It was restored by the Richland Township Trustees in March 2005 and relocated to . . . — Map (db m83029) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — Belle Center Spanish American War Memorial — Little Known Monument in Fairview Cemetery — One of Many Cast from the Battleship “Maine”
In Memoriam USS Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 this tablet is cast from metal recovered from the USS Maine — Map (db m82793) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — Belle Center War Memorial — One of Two Memorials in a Rural Cemetery — Connected to Several Monuments in the Community
Stone #1 In Memory of All Veterans (American Legion logo) Stone #2 (flag logo) Belle Center and Richland Township Killed in Action World War I Ray Schafer • Willard E. Stout World War II Emery . . . — Map (db m82928) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — LCPL Lewis E. Hughes II — Viet Nam Casualty — Memorialized in a Small Village Park
In memory of Lewis Eugene Hughes II LCPL H+S Co 5th Marine 1st Marine Division killed in action Republic of Viet Nam June 13, 1970 — Map (db m83089) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — Village Marshall Murray Griffin — Murray Griffin Memorial Park
In tribute to: Village Marshall Murray Griffin whose life was taken during the late evening hours of July 5, 1986, while performing his sworn duty of protecting those in his community. presented by: the Law Enforcement Officers of . . . — Map (db m83064) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Bellefontaine Airport Pylon — Copy of the Wright Brothers National Monument — Moved Multiple Times
(plaque #1) In recognition of Lawrence E. Rausenberger pioneer designer and builder of aircraft engines first flight off this field Aug. 1, 1912 (plaque #2) Pylon dedicated by Bellefontaine Air Squadron No. 2 August 1, 1948 on . . . — Map (db m76555) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Bellefontaine Vietnam Memorial — Honoring the Names of those from Logan County, Ohio
. . . — Map (db m79732) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Bellefontaine War Memorial — Honoring All Veterans in Bellefontaine and Logan County, Ohio
Dedicated in Honor to those who served by the veterans of Logan County May 31, 1993 — Map (db m79734) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Bellefontaine World War I Memorial — 1917 - 1919
To honor those of Bellefontaine, Ohio, who answered their country's call and gave their service for the great cause of liberty — Map (db m22052) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Blair Casey Park
In memory of Dr. Wilbert Blair Casey 1921 - 1966 for dedicated service to our community — Map (db m81431)
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — C364 — Blue Jacket Town — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m19800) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — 6-46 — Campbell Hill — The Highest Point in Ohio
Campbell Hill is named for Charles D. Campbell of Bellefontaine, who owned this land from 1896 to 1937. A marble stone marker atop the hill, set in 1900 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, marks it as the highest point in Ohio at an elevation of . . . — Map (db m61994) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Clarence L Knowlton Library — Replacement for the Old Carnegie Building — A Memorial to a Local Builder
Clarence L. Knowlton and Vertura Mae Knowlton came to Bellefontaine in 1917 when Clarence L. Knowlton had contracted to build the first phase of the Mary Rutan Hospital. During this time Clarence and Vertura Knowlton liked the people of . . . — Map (db m82407) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients — State of Ohio, Logan County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio Logan County Civil War Brown, Wilson W. 2nd Lt Georgia 1862 Seaman, Elisha B. Private Virginia 1863 Smith, Otis W. Corporal Tennessee 1864 Indian . . . — Map (db m22068) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — First Portland Cement Concrete Street
. . . — Map (db m22047) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — 9-46 — Free Servicemen's Canteen, 1942-1946
Representative of the patriotic spirit of the homefront during World War II, the Big Four Route Veterans Association Women's Auxiliary No. 3 operated a free canteen service for troops in a small white building on the platform of the New York Central . . . — Map (db m43906) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — 13-46 — General Robert Patterson Kennedy
Distinguished citizen, legislator, public servant, and historian born in Bellefontaine, January 23, 1840. A Civil War hero, he was promoted to brigadier general at only 25 years of age. Admitted to the bar in 1866, he practiced in Bellefontaine . . . — Map (db m75545) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — George Washington Memorial Tree — Same Rock, Same Location, Different Tree
This tree planted in memory of George Washington by the Bellefontaine Chapter D.A.R. (DAR logo) 1931 — Map (db m80607) HM WM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Gunn's Tavern / Trading Post — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
North Side of Marker:Gunn's Tavern »— 500 yards west —› About 1797, John Gunn, a land agent from Canada, came to the head of McKee's Creek to start a town. His two story log house, licensed as a tavern in 1805, . . . — Map (db m34935) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Harmon Field — Neighborhood Playground from National Philanthropist — One of Many, Throughout the Nation
Harmon Field this playfield was made ours through the assistance of the Harmon Foundation 1923 dedicated forever to the plays of children, the development of youth, and the recreation of all “The gift of land is the gift . . . — Map (db m80989) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Hull's Army
Hull's Army passed through these grounds in 1812Map (db m58646) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Hull's Army in 1812
Hull's Army In 1812 encamped on this land owned by Col. James McPherson a Revolutionary Soldier who lies buried in the adjoining cemetery — Map (db m58638) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Lewis R. Ratleff Park
The Lewis R. Ratleff Memorial Park — Map (db m81099)
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Logan County Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m22050) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Manary Blockhouse
Site of Manary Blockhouse Delaware Village Bukongehelas Erected by Logan Co. Historical Soc. — Map (db m58762) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Manary House — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
. . . — Map (db m34212) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — McKee's Town — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
[North Side of Marker] <— 500 Yards East —« A British-Indian Outpost was established in 1778 by the Tory, Alexander McKee, for trade with the Shawnees. It was destroyed by Logan's Army in 1786, re-built, and used as a . . . — Map (db m35018) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Myeerah Trail / Historic Logan County — The Second Marker at the other end of the trail
Myeerah Trail A former Indian trail connected Blue Jacket's Town (site of Bellefontaine) and Zanestown (now Zanesfield). The highway was named by the County Commissioners in honor of Princess Myreerah, daughter of Chief Tarhe and wife of Isaac . . . — Map (db m74503) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Ohio Hi Point Career Center — Gate Post Plaque
Ohio Hi Point Career Center Developing our most valuable resource- people- through quality career technical & academic education. administration superintendent- Kimberly Wilson treasurer- Eric Adelsberger Project Facilitator- Robert . . . — Map (db m81889)
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Ohio State Eagles Recreation Park — Old Coffee Pot Restaurant — now, Eagles Camp Ground
Restored by Hi- Point Aerie & Auxiliary 2166 Bellefontaine, Ohio — Map (db m76153) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Pigeon Town / Shawnee Village Site
Pigeon Town This town was established after the destruction of the Mackachack towns in Dunmore’s War in 1774. It was named for a wild pigeon roost near by. Col. Logan’s army destroyed it in 1786.

Shawnee Village Site The . . . — Map (db m83765) HM

Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground — Major John Tullis and William Powell — the Founders of Bellefontaine
. . . — Map (db m75801) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Quaker Meeting Place / Site of First Church and School in Rushcreek Township
Side A Quaker Meeting Place This cemetery marks the location of a Quaker Meet ing house built before 1820. Wm. Reames, a Revolutionary soldier, and Thomas Stanfield were promoters and mem bers of the society.

Side B . . . — Map (db m83220) HM

Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Remembrance 1951- 1969 — 664th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron — Ohio Hi- Point Career Center
Remembrance 1951- 1969 Bellefontaine, Ohio was home of the 664th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron of the United States Air Force. Young men from all over America served here as part of our nation’s Air Defense Forces. To honor . . . — Map (db m81887) HM WM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The Bellefontaine Examiner — Birthplace of the “Abe Martin” cartoon
The Bellefontaine Examiner established in 1891 by E. O. and H.K. Hubbard the Weekly Examiner 1871- 1944 — Map (db m80022) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The First Concrete Street in America
This pavement is a replica of the original test strip placed in 1891 by George W. Bartholomew — Map (db m105441) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The Harley Long Building
The Harley Long Building This building is named in honor of a faithful and trusted employee of the Park Department for twenty- nine years. March 1, 1982 — Map (db m82289) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The Home of Blue Jacket
This Marks the Site of The Home of Blue Jacket Celebrated Chief of the Shawonoe Indians — Map (db m44314) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — 10-46 — The Honorable William Lawrence — (1819 - 1899)
Born in Mt. Pleasant, Ohio, William Lawrence moved to Bellefontaine shortly after graduating from Cincinnati Law School in 1840. Lawrence was prosecuting attorney for Logan County (1845); a member of the Ohio Legislature (1846, 1847, 1849-51, . . . — Map (db m22049) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — 5-46 — The Mills Brothers
Born in Piqua, Ohio, the Mills Brothers grew up and attended school in Bellefontaine. The brothers -- John, Jr., Herbert, Harry, and Donald Mills -- were the first African-American vocal group to perform on a national radio broadcast and achieve . . . — Map (db m22069) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The Original Burial Place of General Simon Kenton — A Place of Legend
The Original Burial Place of General Simon Kenton born in Virginia 1753 -- died Apr. 29, 1836 — Map (db m80633) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — S 12-46 — The Railroad in Logan County — Railroad YMCA
Side A- The Railroad in Logan County Bellefontaine was a railroad town from the 1890’s to the 1950’s. The city was the site of one of the largest roundhouses and repair centers on the Big Four/ New York Central Lines and trains . . . — Map (db m77396) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — War Savings Quota
. . . — Map (db m22051) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — 4-46 — William H. West — 1824 - 1911
Judge William H. West of Bellefontaine led a distinguished career in law, public service, and politics. In 1854 West helped found the Republican party in Ohio and six years later he participated in Abraham Lincoln's nomination for the presidency. . . . — Map (db m22067) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellfontaine — George Bartholomew
The paving of concrete streets in Bellefontaine, Ohio during the 1890's resulted principally from one man's efforts, George Bartholomew. This statue was presented to the citizens of Logan County by the Concrete industries of Ohio and the United . . . — Map (db m22045) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellfontaine — 1-46 — Oldest Concrete Street in America
America's first concrete streets were those which surrounded this court house. Concrete was first used in 1891 to provide an 8-foot strip along Main Street where horses were hitched. Two years later Court Avenue was paved with concrete made from . . . — Map (db m22048) HM
Ohio (Logan County), DeGraff — DeGraff, Ohio Veterans Memorial — Small Town Monument on a Busy Highway
In honor of all veterans — Map (db m83223) WM
Ohio (Logan County), DeGraff — Old Town Shawnee Village — Site of 1806 War Council
Oldtown Shawnee Village quarter mile north meeting place of Simon Kenton and Tecumseh 1806 — Map (db m98322) HM
Ohio (Logan County), East Liberty — Christopher Crary — Garwood Cemetery DAR marker
In memory of Christopher Crary 1759 – 1848 and David Culver 1764 – 1847 Revolutionary soldiers who are buried in the adjoining cemetery (DAR logo) — Map (db m81580) HM
Ohio (Logan County), East Liberty — East Liberty School — Perry Township Park
side A- East Liberty School (artwork) 1906- 1962 This memorial of the East Liberty School is presented in memory of first settler Job Sharp and his wife Dr. Phebe Sharp, the first woman doctor in the early 1800’s. she passed away in . . . — Map (db m81862) HM
Ohio (Logan County), East Liberty — Home of John Garwood / Garwoods Mill Site — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
[South Side of Marker]: Home of John Garwood In 1805 the John Garwood family of thirteen children located their home near this spot. Their activities here were responsible for the town of East Liberty. The village laid out 1834. Post . . . — Map (db m35071) HM
Ohio (Logan County), East Liberty — Middleburg United Methodist Church Bellringers
dedicated to all the former bellringers of the Middleburg United Methodist Church — Map (db m81852) HM
Ohio (Logan County), East Liberty — Phebe Haines Sharp — Wife of the First White Settler — First Doctor in Logan County
First White Settler and Dctor in Logan Co Phebe Haines Sharp 1759- 1833 — Map (db m81858) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Huntsville — Cherokee
(Front Side of Marker) Location of the County's most thriving early village. Surveyed 1832, on lands of Robt. Edminson, Dr. S.A. Morton & Alex. Thompson. Following the building of the N.Y.C. Ry. & founding of Huntsville . . . — Map (db m58756) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Huntsville — Huntsville, Ohio Veterans Memorial
In Memory of the Unknown Dead ——— Soldiers Sailors Marines ——— U.S.A. — Map (db m85345) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Huntsville — Solomon Town — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
[North Side of Marker] Named for a Wyandot Chief. Once home of Chief Tarhee. During American Revolution was headquarters of renegade Simon Girty who brought Simon Kenton here after saving his life in 1778. Hull camped here in 1812. . . . — Map (db m34246) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Lakeview — Lakeview Amvets Memorial #1 — First of Three Memorials in Lakeview, Ohio
dedicated to all veterans past, present, future (logo- Amvets) Doyle R. Miller Amvets Post 39 Lakeview, Ohio — Map (db m86499) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Lakeview — Lakeview Amvets Memorial #2 — Second of Three Memorials in Lakeview, Ohio — Avenue of Flags
We remember all Veterans past- present- future honor roll of donors (list of 38 names, organizations, businesses) — Map (db m86500) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Lakeview — Lakeview War Memorial #3 — Third of Three Memorials in Lakeview, Ohio
Dedicated with honor to all Veterans who have, and continue to guarantee our freedom, peace, justice, and equality. Presented May 30, 1987 by Doyle R. Miller Amvets Post 39 Kenneth Hull American Legion Post 752 — Map (db m86501) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Lewistown — Council House — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
[South Side of Marker] The Maumee Rapids Treaty of Sept. 29, 1817 granted the Shawnee and Seneca Indians a reservation of 40,300 acres surrounding this point. Here they lived until removed to the West in 1832. [North Side of . . . — Map (db m85921) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Lewistown — Greenville Treaty Line / Nancy Stewart Section
Greenville Treaty Line North of this line 640 acres of land was given to Nancy Stewart, daughter of Chief Blue Jacket, by Shawnee Chiefs in Council at Wapakoneta, May 22, 1813. Approved in treaty of 1817 by U.S. Government. Nancy Stewart . . . — Map (db m12198) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Lewistown — Seneca Council House / Indian Reservation — the Seneca half of the Shawnee Reservation at Lewistown
Seneca Council House Near this spot on the east bank of Muchinnippi Creek, stood a council house of the Seneca, 20 x 40 feet, without windows, floor or chimney. Later it became the Reservation Council House. Indian Reservation . . . — Map (db m74647) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Logansville — Vance Blockhouse — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
[East Side of Marker] Built during the War of 1812 about a mile north by an independent rifle company commanded by Joseph Vance. The two 20-foot buildings were connected with a common second story and were well provided with portholes. . . . — Map (db m34999) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Middleburg — Darby Creek — First Settlement, Church and Cemetery in Logan County, Ohio
Side A First Meeting House and Graveyard in the county. Promoted by Jobe Sharp, first settler, and Thomas Antrim, preacher. Quakers and Methodists alternated meetings until 1813 when first Methodist church was built three miles South.

. . . — Map (db m74492) HM

Ohio (Logan County), Northwood — Geneva College — The Original Location — A Busy Station on the Underground Railroad
Geneva College established here in 1848 by Dr. J.B. Johnston moved to Beaver Falls Pa. in 1879 erected by Logan Co. Historical Society Second plaque Committee H, C. Marmon, pres. Hist. Soc. J. R. Templeton, chair O. . . . — Map (db m74869) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Quincy — Curry Blockhouse / Shawnee Village “Oldtown”
Curry Blockhouse Built by Hiriam Curry for protection of the border settlers, following surrender of Gen. Hull in War of 1812. It stood on the north bank of Stony Creek, opposite the Indian village “Oldtown”.

Shawnee . . . — Map (db m99540) HM

Ohio (Logan County), Quincy — Old Quincy School — the Bell
in appreciation of the Quincy Alumni Keith Davis R H McCain Chris Gunder Dick Smith Millard Shaffer Riverside P.T.O. — Map (db m77621) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Quincy — Quincy Ohio Veterans Memorial — Way Back in Fairview Cemetery — With a “History Mystery”
In honor of all veterans — Map (db m81818) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — 1913 Flood — A History of Indian Lake
History has recorded many major floods and the devastation they created. One of the greatest floods ever in Ohio occurred in March of 1913. Rivers in the region, including the Great Miami River, overflowed their banks destroying many towns and . . . — Map (db m104195) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Bickham Bridge - 1877
Miami Valley Pike Span-98' Smith Bridge Co., Toledo, OH Type-Howe Truss. Cost - $2,335.00 Rehab-2002 the Righter Co., Columbus, OH Cost-$475,334.57 — Map (db m34180) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Boats of Indian Lake
The first motorized boat appeared on Indian Lake in the early 1900’s. By 1930, reports indicated there were a total of 13 pleasure boats and 17 speed boats operating out of Russells Point Harbor, and many more from other points around the lake. For . . . — Map (db m104102) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Interurban Transportation
In the early 1900’s, advertising could be found in major newspapers proclaiming “Hourly service to Indian Lake, Russells Point and Lakeview.” Interurban Railway Cars were designed by the Ohio electric Company to save gas and transport . . . — Map (db m104124) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Islands and Beaches — A History of Indian Lake
The original Lewistown Reservoir was created by manually excavating and building approximately 3 miles of earthen dam in several areas and joining seven natural lakes and large ponds.The largest stretch of this structure is the area along the lake . . . — Map (db m104190) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Miami- Erie Canal / Lewistown Reservoir
As a result of the success of the Erie Canal in New York, the Ohio General Assembly decided to build two canals to promote business and travel between the Ohio River and Lake Erie. The Miami & Erie Canal, built in three stages, united Cincinnati . . . — Map (db m104126) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Native Americans — The History of Indian Lake
The Indian Lake Region was inhabited by Native American Indian cultures long before white settlers. The Shawnee, Cherokee and Wyandot Tribes were the primary inhabitants, The Algonquin, Delaware and Ottawa tribes also had settlements nearby. Many of . . . — Map (db m104209) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Orchard Island Post Office
(Circa July 29, 1912 to November 15, 1926) Postmistress Ruby Tarr This building was the first to serve the southern Indian Lake Postal Region. With the will and determination of Mrs. Isabelle Wicker Pusey and the Indian Lake Historical Society, . . . — Map (db m104297) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Our Lady of Fatima — A Unique Feature of Indian Lake
In 1957, George B. Quatman purchased the west side of the Sandy Beach Amusement Park and the remainder on the east side in 1962. No alcohol or rock and roll music was permitted in the renovated Stardust Ballroom, Old Vienna Gardens and Plaza Hotel, . . . — Map (db m104208) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — 3-46 — Sandy Beach Amusement Park
Nicknamed “Ohio's Million Dollar Playground” or “Atlantic City of the Midwest,” Sandy Beach Amusement Park opened here on May 29, 1924. The park at Indian Lake featured a 2,000-foot long roller coaster and other popular . . . — Map (db m22070) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Sandy Beach and the Big Band Era
At the turn of the century, the area around Russells Point harbor was owned by the Ohio Department of Conservation, was leased as several separate tracts and operated as picnic grounds. Samuel “Pappy” Wilgus held the leases for ground on . . . — Map (db m104123) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Sandy Beach Bridge
The footbridge crossing the Russells Point Harbor was constructed in 1924 by Samuel “Pappy” and French Wilgus at a cost of $15,000 . It connected the east side of the Sandy Beach Amusement Park to eateries and other attractions on the . . . — Map (db m104101) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Sandy Beach Park — The Original Marker
Sandy Beach Park formerly on this site built in 1924 by founders French L. Wilgus 1886- 1950 and his father Samuel L. Wilgus 1854- 1951. There existed “A Million Dollar Playground” Amusement Park, Old Vienna Gardens Night Club, . . . — Map (db m106783) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — St. Mary of the Woods Veterans Memorial — Another Great Eagle Scout Project
Side A (flag logo) Honoring all veterans of St Mary of the Woods “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:13….

Side B donated in part by: Knights of . . . — Map (db m85407) WM

Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — The Villages
Russells Point In 1847, John Russell, for whom Russells Point is named, was born near the shores of the original spring-fed Indian Lake. His parents farmed near the areas we know today as Lake Ridge and O’Connors Point on the east side of . . . — Map (db m104178) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — When the Music Died — The History of the Indian Lake Amusement Park
George B. Quatman acquired the west side of the Sandy Beach Park in 1957, and the east side in 1962. At that time the park was renamed the “San Juan Amusement Park” and became alcohol free. However, all along the harbor were bars and . . . — Map (db m104170) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russell's Point — Indian Lake Veterans Memorial — American Legion Marker
In honor of all veterans living or dead of all wars past and future dedicated to Indian Lake Post No. 413 May 28, 1984 presented by Indian Lake Unit No. 413 American Legion Auxillary (2 logos) — Map (db m85398) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Russell's Point — Our Lady of Fatima Statue Park — St. Mary’s Point- Indian Lake Ohio
Our Lady of Fatima Statue Park and Meditation Garden was built by the late George B. Quatman in 1964 as part of his “San Juan Amusement Park” entertainment site.

During it’s twenty years of operation, the San Juan Amusement Park, . . . — Map (db m86057) HM

Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Highland Gardens Veterans Monument — “Flag Flying in Memory of; All Veterans”
“Flag Flying in Memory of; All Veterans” artwork (4) Armed Services logos — Map (db m80303) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Hull's Trace — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
A trail over which General Hull's army marched to Detroit in 1812. At this point a company of scouts recruited by Capt. Wm. McColloch of Zanetown joined Hull's army. — Map (db m19795) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Mackachack Town — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
Nearby stood the Shawnee village of Mackachack or Mac-A-Cheek. This village was the first of the Shawnee towns to be attacked by Gen. Benjamin Logan's mounted Kentucky militia in the fall of 1786. In all the American forces destroyed eight Shawnee . . . — Map (db m19811) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Michael Lane Partin — Tribute to a Long Time Worker
Michael Lane Partin for his devoted services to Adriel School and the Adriel Auxiliary 1981- 1990 — Map (db m81830)
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Moluntha — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
Chief Moluntha, Grand Sachem of the Shawnees, lived near this place. His wife, the Grenadier Squaw, was a sister of Chief Cornstalk. In 1786 Col. Logan destroyed the town, and Moluntha was murdered by one of the soldiers. — Map (db m20115) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Monroe Township School — Memories in Rural Logan County, Ohio
(artwork- etching of building) Monroe Township School 1918- 1952 site donated by Ernest and Ethel Horsley — Map (db m79335) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Onion Ditch Bridge — First Plastic Bridge in Ohio
Bridge 174-0.56 Ohio’s first recycled thermoplastic composite bridge built in 2012 construction cost $325,661 built by Logan County Engineer’s Office Bridge Crew materials manufactured by Axion, New Providence, NJ designed by Parsons . . . — Map (db m76832)
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Pickrelltown Community Club — A Monument to a By-Gone Era
dedicated in memory of deceased members of The " Pickeraltown " Community Club — Map (db m80423) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Pickrelltown Monument Honor Roll
(South face) In Memory Of all Monroe Township Men in service World War 1917-1918 Willis R. Yoder February 16, 1945 (West face) H.F. Bushawn Died in France October 28, 1918 Jacob I. Piatt July 21, 1944 . . . — Map (db m80448) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — 11-46 — Shawnee Nation in Logan County / Shawnee Villages in Logan County
[North Side of Marker]:"Shawnee Nation in Logan County" From the 1770s until 1832, the Logan County area was the homeland to much of the Shawnee Nation. Ten villages known as the Upper Mad River towns included the homes of . . . — Map (db m34083) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Sherman M. Ricketts — 1898 - 1962
In tribute to Chief of Police: 1958- 1962 Sherman M. Ricketts Who gave his life in the line of duty in the early morning hours of June 29th, 1962. while investigating a suspicious person complaint, he was struck down without warning by . . . — Map (db m87710) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Squaw Rock — Benjamin Logan Battle Site — Mack-A-Cheek Village
Squaw Rock Of Indian Legend Site Shawnee Village Mac-A-Cheek and home Chief Moluntha Destroyed 1786 by Col. Logan Simon Kenton Gauntlet 1778 — Map (db m76156) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — The First Permanent — Sunday School
The first permanent Sunday School in the "Old" Mennonite Church, founded by the authority of the church, was organized in the Logan County Amish Mennonite Church, now the South Union Church, one and seven-tenths miles, northwest of this location, . . . — Map (db m38250) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — The Ludlow Road / The Ludlow Line — Logan County — On Top of Ohio
The Ludlow Road (side A): You are entering Logan County over a road built after a strip of timber 40 ft. wide had been cut to establish a line between the headwaters of the Little Miami and the source of the Scioto River. The Ludlow Line . . . — Map (db m13766) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Underground Railroad Station — The Pickrell Mansion — The Quakers of Monroe Twp., Logan County, Ohio
(Side A) Underground Railroad A name given to a manner of piloting negro slaves to freedom. Pilots of this area were largely Quakers, the most active of whom were the Pickerells, Paxtons, and Williams. (Side B) Underground . . . — Map (db m76372) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — 3-46 — West Liberty / Glover Hall
[Front Side of Marker]: "West Liberty" The West Liberty area, in the Mad River Valley, was the location of at least seven Shawnee Indian villages. This elevated site was the location of one of those villages. Several septs or . . . — Map (db m43901) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — West Liberty Lion's Club Park — Multiple Markers — Site of the Annual Labor Day Festival
These five acres of land are given by Dr. H. L. Mikesell, his wife Helena, and daughters, Lydia Jo and Jane (Younkman). Dr. Mikesell, a physician in the United States Army and in West Liberty, believed that experiencing the great out-of-doors was . . . — Map (db m76740)
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — West Liberty Veterans Memorial
Lest we forget those who served our country dedicated by Post 426 2007 in God we trust (American Legion logo) (eagle) — Map (db m81548) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — West Liberty Water Works — Water Softening Plant — a WPA project
Water Softening Plant Erected 1941 West Liberty Ohio - - - - Milton W. Stout - Mayor Donald McAlexander - Clerk Board of Trustees of - Public Affairs Wm. Scarbourogh - President Joseph W. Craig Clyde L. Lynn . . . . . . . — Map (db m76861) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — West Liberty World War I Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the men from West Liberty and community who have served our nation in it’s conflicts The aristocracy of today is not one of birth or wealth but of those who do things for the welfare of . . . — Map (db m127349) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Mansfield — 7-46 — Flatwood Schoolhouse
Descendants of slaves, who may have reached Ohio through the Underground Railroad, and other African Americans, formed the community of Flatwoods in the southwest part of Bokescreek Township. This one-room schoolhouse was built circa 1868 for . . . — Map (db m38248) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — China Flats
China Flats. On this corner was a hotel built in 1840. In 1885 the hotel housed Chinese railroad workers and was known locally as China flats. The hotel burned and was replaced by the present structure in the late 1940's. — Map (db m98744) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — 2-46 — Earl S. Sloan (1848-1923) — Entrepreneur and Philanthropist
Earl Sloan's accumulation of a fortune from the formulation and sale of "Sloan's Liniment" resulted in the creation of a living legacy. To "honor the place of his nativity" Dr. Earl Sloan donated funds to build the Sloan Library for the people of . . . — Map (db m82605) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — 14- 46 — Ebenezer Zane Cabin — Reconstructed, With Original Material
The house of Ebenezer Zane was built here in 1805. The structure was the meeting place for the First Methodist Quarterly Confurence in 1819 with over 300 settlers in the area and about sixty members of the Wyandot tribes came together. Although . . . — Map (db m80768) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Gen. Simon Kenton — In Memory of
In Memory of Gen. Simon Kenton Born in Culpepper County, VA. in 1755 and died in 1836 Age 81 years Left his native country in early youth, for a frontier life in the great northwest. Captured by Indians in 1778, and brought to . . . — Map (db m20072) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Gen. Simon Kenton / Historical Home Site — Logan County, on top of Ohio
Gen. Simon Kenton A soldier, a scout, a Guide. History places him among the strong and the brave. Pathfinder for the midwestern civilization. Fate used him as an instrument to open the door of an empire state. Historical . . . — Map (db m23593) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Goshen Quaker Cemetery
This cemetery was established in the early 1800's as a final resting place for early Quaker pioneer families such as the Martin, Robert and Samuel Marmon and their sister, Kesiah Marmon-Outland families who migrated to Ohio from Northampton, North . . . — Map (db m82604) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Helen Wonders Blue Memorial Park — United Methodist Church Historic Site #358 — Two Smaller Plaques at the Ebenezer Zane Cabin Site
first plaque- Helen Wonders Blue Memorial Park donated by Robert M. Blue J.D. 1990 second plaque- United Methodist Historic Site No.358 — Map (db m80770) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Hicksite Quaker Church
The church was built in 1828 by a group of Friends (Quakers), followers of Elias Hicks, who in 1827 split from the Goshen Friends Church and formed their own monthly meetings. Sometime around 1913, the two congregations went back together again. it . . . — Map (db m98842) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Historic Logan County
Highest point in Ohio. Site of: Ten Indian towns: Wapatomica, Blue Jacket, Mackachack, Moluntha, Lewis, Old, Zane, Solomon, McKee and Buckongehelas. Zane-Kenton Monument: Squaw Rock; Ft. Wapatomica; Kenton's Grave. Here first organized . . . — Map (db m22589) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — In Memory of Isaac Zane — The White Eagle of the Wyandots
In Memory of Isaac Zane The White Eagle of the Wyandots Born in Berkley County, VA. in 1753 Died at Zanesfield, in 1816, age 63 years Captured by the Wyandot Indians in 1762, and carried to the Valley of the Mad River. He grew to . . . — Map (db m20021) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Isaac Zane & Princess Myeerah
This monument erected in memory of Isaac Zane, White Eagle of the Wyandots, and his Indian wife, Princess Myeerah, who devoted their lives to bring peace and good will between the white and red races Near this spot established a home, raising a . . . — Map (db m35106) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Jefferson Township Veterans Memorial
in honor of All Veterans (logo seal- Department of Defense) of Jefferson Township — Map (db m88036) WM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Myeerah Trail — Logan County, On Top of Ohio
A former Indian trail connected Blue Jacket's Town (site of Bellefontaine) and Zanestown (now Zanesfield). The highway was named by the County Commissioners in honor of Princess Myreerah, daughter of Chief Tarhe and wife of Isaac Zane, White Eagle . . . — Map (db m20071) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Second Church/ First School — Goshen Friends Church — Mad River Meeting
Side A Second Church in the county, a double log house built about 1808 by Quakers from North Carolina. Named “Mad River” until 1819, then changed to Goshen Friends. Side B Logan County’s first school house a small . . . — Map (db m80638) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Site of Fort Wapatomica
During the Revolution the Wyandot Village here became a British War base called Wapatomica. Invasions against Bryant Station, Ky. and Fort Henry (Wheeling, W. Va.) were planned and started from here. Fort erected 1782, was destroyed 1786 by Col. . . . — Map (db m98732) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — C — Wapatomica — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m19807) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Wapatomica
Historically a political center and site of several intertribal councils, Wapatomica is considered the most significant site of Shawnee history in Ohio. As such, the Eastern Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma donated the funds for this monument.

Eastern . . . — Map (db m103017) HM

Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — C362 — Zanesfield — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
[South side of marker]: Zanesfield »»«« Once a Wyandot village and home of Chief Tarhe, whose daughter, Myeerah, Isaac Zane married here about 1776, and thus established the home of the first white man . . . — Map (db m19801) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Zanesfield Veterans Memorial
In commemoration of our patriots who, for God and Country, lifted high the torch of freedom, equality and justice, in all times of peril. Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, lest we forget- lest we forget. - Kipling . . . — Map (db m87604) WM

126 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.