Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lowndes County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Mary Turner and the Lynching Rampage of 1918 Marker image, Touch for more information
Mary Turner and the Lynching Rampage of 1918 Marker
Georgia (Lowndes County), Hahira — 92-2 — Mary Turner and the Lynching Rampage of 1918
Near this site on May 19, 1918, twenty-one year old Mary Turner, eight months pregnant, was burned, mutilated, and shot to death by a local mob after publicly denouncing her husband’s lynching the previous day. In the days immediately following the . . . — Map (db m114978) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Hahira — 092-3 — Site: Franklinville
When Lowndes County was created December 23, 1825, Lawrence Folsom, Sion Hall, William Blair, John J. Underwood and Daniel McCauly were appointed Commissioners to select the capital of Lowndes County. The site which they chose, named Franklinville, . . . — Map (db m12171) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Christian Science Church
The Valdosta Episcopal Congregation, organized ca. 1871, held services in the courthouse until this building, originally a frame structure, was constructed in 1885. (Stucco was added in 1910.) The first service was held here on February 21, 1886, . . . — Map (db m27568) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — 92-1 — Drexel Park
In 1916 five prominent Valdosta businessmen and civic leaders -- William S. West, Lowndes W. Shaw, Leonard F. Shaw, Daniel C. Ashley, and Owen K. Jones -- donated 11 acres to the city to create a public park. The deed stipulated that the property . . . — Map (db m27131) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — First Presbyterian Church
Organized by settlers from Liberty County on Dec 3, 1864. The first minister, Rev. Eli Graves, came from Brooks County once a month to hold services in the courthouse before the first church was dedicated in 1867. Early elders were S.M. Varnedoe, R. . . . — Map (db m27524) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — 092-1 — Lowndes County
Lowndes County was created by an act of the Georgia Legislature December 23, 1825, from lands previously in Irwin County. It was named for William J. Lowndes, a South Carolina statesman. The first count officers commissioned May 29, 1826, were Henry . . . — Map (db m40166) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Nationsbank
A privately owned bank was founded in 1874 in Valdosta by Remer Y. Lane as the R. Y. Lane Banking Co. In 1888 Lane, with others, formed the Merchants Bank which evolved into the Citizens and Southern National Bank in 1926, becoming the largest . . . — Map (db m40183) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Old Carnegie Library
Inspired by a grant of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie, citizens constructed this building as a Carnegie Library in 1913, for $40,000. This was the first public building designed by local Architect Lloyd B. Greer and was formally opened June 1914. The . . . — Map (db m23441) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Old City Hall
Site of Old City Hall at Ashley St. and Hill Ave. The City Hall, a brick and granite two-story structure built in 1895, was “the ornament of the town” with its 70-ft. clock tower. For 63 years it served as a City Hall, as the City . . . — Map (db m40184) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Primitive Baptist Church
Built in 1869 by the Valdosta Baptist Church, this is the oldest extant Church building in Valdosta. The building was purchased by the Valdosta Primitive Baptist Church when it was constituted on January 28, 1899. — Map (db m27588) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Site of Cotton Exchange
This corner, Wall Street and West Hill Ave., was the site of the largest inland Sea Island cotton market in the world in 1910. Because of this cotton market, Valdosta was named the center of cotton production in South Georgia and was also rated the . . . — Map (db m28006) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Troop Encampment Site
Company “G” One Hundred Third, Regiment of U.S. Colored Infantry, camped on this corner in January and February of 1866. — Map (db m27728) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Valdosta Institute
S. M. Varnedoe was administrator of a ten-grade private school, the Valdosta Institute, 1865 - 70. Famous among its students was J. H. “Doc” Holiday. The Masons and several churches also used the institute as a meeting place. After the . . . — Map (db m21875) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Valdosta Street Railroad Company Waiting Station, 1917
The waiting station erected for the ladies at South Ga. State Normal College (in 1950, Valdosta State College), is all that remains of the streetcar system. The electric railroad was begun in 1899 to accommodate the 1900 State Fair at Pine Park . . . — Map (db m109800) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.