123 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. The final 23 ⊳
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Lucas County, Ohio
Adjacent to Lucas County, Ohio
▶ Fulton County (19) ▶ Henry County (42) ▶ Ottawa County (37) ▶ Wood County (53) ▶ Lenawee County, Michigan (46) ▶ Monroe County, Michigan (65)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
| Side A
According to fellow World War II veteran and US Senator Bob Dole,
Roger T. Durbin was “the public persona- the beacon- of the drive to
build a National World War II Memorial in out nations . . . — — Map (db m80534) HM|
|The earliest improved public road west from Lake Erie to the Indiana border, the Territorial-Indiana Road was built by the U.S. Government in 1834-1835 through the Cottonwood Swamp, then a major obstacle to travel. It ran parallel to the Harris . . . — — Map (db m27756) HM|
Birthplace of Alexander Drabik
Alexander Albert Drabik was born here, in a log cabin, on December 28, 1910 to John Drabik and Frances Lewandowski, Polish immigrants from Szymborze, Germany, now Poland. Alex, . . . — — Map (db m94771) HM|
|Platted by Robert Clark in 1863 as Hardy renamed Holland in 1867 — — Map (db m159667) HM|
Ice Age glaciers formed the distinct landscape of the Oak Openings Region, which is dominated by rolling sand dunes and wet prairies interrupted by clusters of oak trees. Although the sandy soil did not support agriculture well, the early . . . — — Map (db m94713) HM|
|[Front Side of Marker]: 41st Regiment of Foot - War of 1812
Near this site, in the War of 1812, stood the British encampment during the First Siege of Fort Meigs from May 1-9, 1813. This marker honors members of the 41st Regiment of . . . — — Map (db m65056) HM WM|
|As peace negotiations continued without success, General Wayne's slow and strenuous march through Ohio moved massive amounts of supplies, horses and artillery to support his 2,000 soldiers.
Along the way, Wayne's army built supply depots and . . . — — Map (db m90902) HM|
|The British constructed Fort Miamis at the foot of the Maumee River rapids to challenge U.S. General Anthony Wayne and his Legionnaires marching through the Ohio country in 1794.
Besides preventing a U.S. advance on British-controlled Detroit, . . . — — Map (db m76970) HM|
|Once assured the Western Confederacy was not returning, Wayne marched his troops within cannon range of Fort Miamis.
To assert American presence, Wayne encamped there and sent a series of letters to British Major William Campbell. After three . . . — — Map (db m90969) HM|
|The Western Confederacy united three prominent Nations: the Miami, Shawnee, and Delaware, with additional members from other Nations. Chief Little Turtle of the Miami, Blue Jacket of the Shawnee and Buckongahelas of the Delaware were the primary . . . — — Map (db m93110) HM|
|There were multiple noteworthy Americans at the Battle of Fallen Timbers and the Treaty of Greenville. Perhaps you've heard of a few?
William Henry Harrison
Served under General Anthony Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. . . . — — Map (db m91021) HM|
|In memory of all the American Indians who gave their lives at this place, including members of the following tribes. Chippewa Ottawa Delaware Potawatami Miami Shawnee Mingo Wyandot Dedicated August 20, 1994 . . . — — Map (db m85707) HM|
|In 1995, after years of research, Dr. G. Michael Pratt led an archeological survey on a field west of the floodplain previously believed to be the site of the battle.
A successful dig turned up artifacts such as buckshot, rifle fragments and . . . — — Map (db m93178) HM|
|[Front Side Text of Marker] : "Battle of Fallen Timbers"
The Battle of Fallen Timbers, fought on August 20, 1794, is one of the most significant events relating to post-Revolutionary War America. Major General "Mad" Anthony Wayne led . . . — — Map (db m54542) HM|
| This monument and nine-acre site commemorates the Battle of Fallen Timbers, fought August 20, 1794, between a confederation of Indian tribes and General Anthony Waynes Legion of the United States. Treaty of Greenville 1795General Anthony . . . — — Map (db m89200) HM|
|After U.S. victory at the Battle of Fallen Timbers on August 20, 1794, the retreating American Indians fled to Fort Miamis. But the British troops - betraying earlier assurances - denied their Indian allies access to the fort.
U.S. troops . . . — — Map (db m76877) HM|
|To prepare for battle, warriors from the Western Confederacy followed a fasting ritual. An unexpected two-day wait, caused by General Wayne's construction of Camp Deposit, left the warriors famished and dehydrated.
On the morning of the battle, . . . — — Map (db m90903) HM|
|The natural land features and geography of the land played a major role in determining the battle strategy for both forces.
This, combined with the thick forests and downed timber, caused by a tornado, was a landscape that favored the Western . . . — — Map (db m90927) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m18774) HM|
|Feeling confident after defeating the British in the Revolutionary War, the U.S. stood little chance of success against the better ordered Western Confederacy forces. As a result the well-organized natives led by Little Turtle and Blue Jacket . . . — — Map (db m90318) HM|
|Resentment by the Indians against white encroachment reached a peck in the 1790s. Encouraged by the British, they began to raid settlements. Two poorly organized American military campaigns, led by General Josiah Harmar in 1790 and Governor Arthur . . . — — Map (db m19568) HM|
|On the Battlefield of Fallen Timbers, in unmarked graves, rest the brave soldiers of General Anthony Wayne's Legion of the United States and the Kentucky Volunteers, who were killed on August 20, 1794, in the victorious conflict with the Indians and . . . — — Map (db m20004) HM|
The Greenville Treaty
To General Anthony Wayne who organized the “Legion of the United States” by order of President Washington and defeated Chief Little Turtles warriors here at Fallen Timbers August 20, 1794. . . . — — Map (db m8175) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m76985) HM|
|This park commemorates battles and treaties with the British and American Indians that led to the westward expansion of the United States and statehood for Ohio.
In the 1790s, residents of the newly formed United States were starting to . . . — — Map (db m65093) HM|
|Following the disastrous defeats of U.S. Generals Harmar and St. Clair by the Western Confederacy, President George Washington recalled Anthony Wayne from retirement to lead a new U.S. fighting force.
Over the course of two years, General Wayne . . . — — Map (db m90901) HM|
|This congregation was organized January 9, 1820 by 11 charter members. In 1837 the structure was completed on land reserved for religious purposes on the first Maumee plat. A British gun battery stood on the site in the War of 1812. Additions to the . . . — — Map (db m18772) HM|
|On this site in 1794, the British built Fort Miamis to block Gen. Anthony Wayne's expected march on Detroit. Its strategic location commanded both the land and water routes in the Maumee Valley. The post, constructed after the manner of the noted . . . — — Map (db m18738) HM|
|British Troops constructed Fort Miamis on the banks of the Maumee River between April and August of 1794 with the help of local American Indians. Fort Miamis featured four bastions, a river battery, barracks, officers' quarters, supply buildings and . . . — — Map (db m76876) HM|
|As allies, the British government supported the Western Confederacy with supplies but did not authorize soldiers to assist in battle.
For the British, the garrison at Fort Miamis was strictly a defensive barrier to Wayne's march northward. The . . . — — Map (db m93177) HM|
|In the spring of 1813, British troops returned to the site of Fort Miamis to again ally with a determined American Indian Confederacy struggling to expel American settlers from their homeland. The British successfully landed troops and artillery at . . . — — Map (db m76878) HM|
|Theodore Dreiser wrote in 1900 his famous novel, Sister Carrie, in this house. It was built in 1835 and altered to Greek Revival Style in 1844. Dreiser acquired it in 1899. The house possesses most of the features typical of the American . . . — — Map (db m25878) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m26401) HM|
For nearly a century, this 98-acre site was occupied by an orphanage that, over the years, cared for several thousand destitute children. Founded in nearby Toledo in 1867 as the Protestant Orphan's Home, the orphanage became the Lucas County . . . — — Map (db m94699) HM|
|The Maumee River Rapids, made of exposed limestone bedrock, is an alvar, a habitat found only in Europe and here in the Great Lakes region. Alvars are rocky ledges with cycles of flooding and seasonal low water. Plants and animals live on the . . . — — Map (db m68357)|
|On March 5, 1817, Lieutenant Almon Gibbs, formerly of Army Lodge No. 24 at Fort Meigs, Perrysburg, formed Northern Light Lodge No. 40 "at Waynesfield" (now Maumee). Gibbs served as Worshipful Master, William Griffith as Senior Warden, and Charles . . . — — Map (db m67523) HM|
|The Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic site exists for the benefit and education of the public thanks to the dedication of preservationists across the country. Metroparks of the Toledo Area owns and protects Fort Miamis and . . . — — Map (db m93181) HM|
|The Legion of 2,000 combatants was organized into four sub-legions, each containing companies of infantry, light infantry, riflemen and dragoons. Split into three columns the legion's left flank held the 2nd and 4th sub-legions, while the right . . . — — Map (db m90938) HM|
|Desperate to break the British and American Indian siege of Fort Meigs, General William Henry Harrison ordered 800 Kentucky Militia under Colonel William Dudley to cross the Maumee River and destroy the British batteries.
After seizing the . . . — — Map (db m76969) HM|
|The Side Cut section of the Miami and Erie Canal was completed in 1842 to provide a water connection from the canal down to the river at Maumee. It was two miles long with six limestone locks.
Canal locks acted like elevators to raise and lower . . . — — Map (db m28568) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m76958) HM|
|Wayne's advance units of scouts and militia collided with the Native Confederacy's position in the dense forest. In a fierce fight, the U.S. forces were driven back to the main columns of the Legion.
Under the cover provided by the advance . . . — — Map (db m90935) HM|
|The Western Alliance faced a more formidable foe at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Although losses were equal on both sides, rumors of eight slain chiefs discouraged the Western Confederacy. They retreated to where Swan Creek meets the Maumee River. . . . — — Map (db m90967) HM|
Marks the Path
Made previous to the
French and Indian War
By the Indians
Who called it
THE GREAT TRAIL
It extended from Detroit to
Pittsburg and was used by the
French and British and by
General Harrison in 1812. . . . — — Map (db m21882) HM|
|When American Pioneers attempted to settle the area north and west of the Ohio River, following the Ordinance of 1787, the Indians aided by the British in Canada, fought valiantly and fiercely for their homes in the Ohio Country. It required the . . . — — Map (db m18821) HM|
|Levi Beebe built in 1836 this structure then known as the Commercial Building housing stores, bank, and post office. During the canal era, the building was a stagecoach stop and social center for Maumee, the Lucas County seat until 1853. Later the . . . — — Map (db m27013) HM|
Text on North Side :
1812 Marches 1813
- - - - -
Text on South Side : . . . — — Map (db m93522) HM|
|In the summer of 1795, General Wayne and representatives of the Western Confederacy gathered at Fort Greenville in Ohio to negotiate a peace treaty.
After a long winter with few supplies, deep distrust of the British and minimal shelter, the . . . — — Map (db m90998) HM|
|Lower marker On this rock according to tradition, Chief Turkey Foot of the Ottawa Indians rallied his warriors during the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Here he was killed and for many years tribesmen made offerings of tobacco on the rock to . . . — — Map (db m19572) HM|
|After the American Revolution, the arrival of more settlers to the Ohio Country threatened the fragile peace between Native Nations, the British and the United States.
Land boundaries were set between the British and the U.S. at the Treaty of . . . — — Map (db m90303) HM|
|The Maumee River Valley nurtured a hunter-gatherer life and later farming communities for thousands of Native Americans. The valley also attracted the French, British and American settlers because of navigable waterways and the fur trade. . . . — — Map (db m90299) HM|
|This federal style house was built in 1827 by James A. Wolcott who migrated to Ohio in 1818 from Connecticut. Of distinguished parentage, Wolcott was a leading merchant, shipbuilder, judge and politician. Here he and his wife, Mary Wells, daughter . . . — — Map (db m27023) HM|
|Pearson Metropark is one of the last remaining pieces of the Great Black Swamp, which once blanketed much of the region.The Johlin Cabin is a log home built in the swamp in 1867. Originally located about 1.5 miles from here on Corduroy Road . . . — — Map (db m49495) HM|
|The Wabash & Erie Canal opened between Toledo and Lafayette, Indiana, May 8, 1843. The Miami Extension Canal was completed to Junction, Ohio, on July 4, 1845, linking the Wabash & Erie Canal with Cincinnati and resulting in changing the canals name . . . — — Map (db m19574) HM|
|Fr. Amadeus Rappe, Pastor of St. Francis
de Sales, Toledo, and Mission Pastor
of all Northwest Ohio, supervised the
building of this church in 1845.
Peter Manor donated the land, 40,000
bricks, and 5,000 ft. of black walnut
lumber for . . . — — Map (db m132063) HM|
|The 150th Anniversary of the
In memory of those who
Perished and those who
fled starvation, death and
foreign oppression in
Ireland to seek justice,
freedom and a new way
of life in America.
(three . . . — — Map (db m132064) HM|
Ohio's Last Ottawas
Here in the Oak Openings Region of northwest Ohio, some of the last Ottawa villages in Ohio lined the banks of Swan Creek during the 1830s. These Native Americans were led by Chief Ottokee . . . — — Map (db m94769) HM|
|Home of A.D. Baker inventor & builder of Baker Steam Engines — — Map (db m159660) HM|
This is a replica of a barn built in 1850 on Sylvania-Metamora Road. In 2000, the original barn was dismantled and the timber beams were transported to the Historical Village where they were used in the reconstruction of the barn. The original . . . — — Map (db m103703) HM|
The showpiece of the Historical Village is the original railroad depot building that served Sylvania residents for 98 years, from 1858 to 1956. It is the oldest train depot in existance in the State of Ohio.
Built in 1858 and originally . . . — — Map (db m103676) HM|
Centennial Terrace and Quarry
In 1931, the France Stone Company ceased operations. Robert Burge leased 19 acres of the site for recreational swimming and opened Centennial Quarry in 1934. Five years later, . . . — — Map (db m94772) HM|
|This rail line was the original route of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad, the first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains. The train made its initial run on October 3, 1836 from Toledo to Adrian, a total of approximately thirty miles. . . . — — Map (db m27749) HM|
Hindu Temple and Heritage Hall
The Hindu Temple of Toledo was established in 1981 for the growing Hindu and Jain communities in northwest Ohio. Religious functions were initially held in a house located on a . . . — — Map (db m94783) HM|
This 1 1/2 story home was built in the 1840's. It was purchased in 1997 and moved to the Sylvania Historical Village from near Westin, Ohio, about 3 1/2 miles Southeast of Grand Rapids. The home was covered in asphalt shingles and had been . . . — — Map (db m104987) HM|
This building is a reproduction of the center bays of the original Sylvania interurban car barn. It was located on South Main Street at Ten Mile Creek (near Sautter's Foodcenter). It houses two important pieces of Sylvania's rail history.
. . . — — Map (db m103650) HM|
Enjoy this beautiful and peaceful setting on the grounds of the Sylvania Historical Village. It celebrates the alliance of Sylvania with its sister city of Woodstock, Ontario in Canada. This alliance was formed between the two cities in 1992.
. . . — — Map (db m103611) HM|
This school is a half-scale replica of the two story school that was built on this site in 1844. It was named "Stone Academy" because it was built out of local cut quarry stone. In 1869, a brick building replaced it called "Sylvania High School". . . . — — Map (db m105029) HM|
This circa 1902 house was the home and office of Dr. Uriah A. Cooke. His physician's office is still intact. Adjacent to the office is a replica of an early 1900's apothecary. The three-story house features the original hardwood flooring, window . . . — — Map (db m103578) HM|
The David and Clarissa Harroun family migrated to Sylvania in 1835 and built their home, and in 1858 the barn, on this site. Four generations of this Harroun family called this property home, from 1835-1938. While here, David, Clarissa, and their . . . — — Map (db m94722) HM|
Toledo and Western Railway Company
Sylvania was once the headquarters for the Toledo and Western Railway, an electric interurban line that provided service between Toledo and Pioneer with a branch line to . . . — — Map (db m94720) HM|
|A Prehistoric Fort consisting of earthen walls accompanied by moats, formerly occupied this site. The walls, three to four feet high, probably were surmounted by palisades which together with the steep river banks, rendered the fort fairly secure . . . — — Map (db m25860) HM|
|Art Tatum was born in Toledo on October 13, 1909, the son of Arthur Tatum, Sr. and Mildred Hoskins Tatum. Despite being blind in one eye and only partially sighted in the other, he became one of the greatest jazz pianists of his era. To deal with . . . — — Map (db m94866) HM|
The original northernmost lock in a canal system which linked Lake Erie with the Ohio River was located near the foot of LaSalle Street. Indianas Wabash & Erie Canal (1843 – 1874) . . . — — Map (db m19439) HM|
Edward Drummond Libbey High School - “the castle on the hill” - opened in 1923 to serve the growing number of students in Toledo Public Schools. The school offered a curriculum of manual and academic training, reflecting a . . . — — Map (db m136522) HM|
| (Engine House Number One – marker side 1)
Toledo's first fire station was built in November 1837 one city block due north of this site at the southwest corner of Cherry Street and Eagle Lane at 519 Cherry on what is now the . . . — — Map (db m121491) HM|
|[East side of Marker]:"Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad"
The first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains was Toledo's colorful "Erie and Kalamazoo." Begun in 1832, the line was completed by 1836. Its rails were made of oak . . . — — Map (db m27718) HM|
|Juliette Gordon Low (1860-1927) had a dream that young women could be independent, help others in need, and be responsible leaders in their communities. Low founded Girl Scouts of the United States of America with 18 girls on March 12, 1912 in her . . . — — Map (db m94889) HM|
First Congregational Church
Founded in 1833, this is the oldest congregation organized within Toledo's original boundaries. From 1844 to 1913 the church occupied a succession of three meeting houses on St. . . . — — Map (db m94890) HM|
|[Text on Front Side of Marker]
F. C. L.
[Text on Right Side of Marker]
George Duncan Forsyth
Lt. Co. B. 100th O. V. I.
Captured at Limestone Station
Sept. 8, 1863.
Shot and Killed
in Libby Prison.
Apr. 12, 1864, . . . — — Map (db m44765) HM|
|Founded in 1876 by a group of Toledo businessmen, Woodlawn Cemetery was designed in the tradition of the country's "rural cemetery" movement, which was first popularized in Europe in the 1830s. This movement reflects the change in American burial . . . — — Map (db m27214) HM|
|[Front/South Side of Monument]
James B. Steedman,
[Right/East Side of Monument]
[Back/North Side of Monument] . . . — — Map (db m44820) HM|
|[Front Side/West Side of Marker]:"Lucas County"
Lucas County was named for Governor Robert Lucas who championed Ohio's cause in the "Toledo War," a boundary dispute arising when both Ohio and the Michigan Territory claimed this area. . . . — — Map (db m27221) HM|
|Son of the Pioneers, born 1781. Recruited twenty Ohioans for duty in case of war with Spain over Louisiana Purchase. Brigadier General, 2nd. Brigade, 2nd. Division, Ohio Militia in War of 1812. Governor of Ohio 1832-36; enacted first laws . . . — — Map (db m121994) HM|
April 12, 1861 to June 22, 1865
Abbott, James Abbott, Lucing Aikens, A. S. Aldrich, Miles Allen, Edward Ammon, John Anderson, William Anteau, Stephen Anthony, Julius Applegate, Aaron Armstrong, John . . . — — Map (db m160384) WM|
| Iraq March 20, 2003 to December 15, 2011
Benford, · Eckert, Gary — — Map (db m160374) WM|
| Korea June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953
Archambo, Walter G. ·
Beale, Robert ·
Beard, Robert D. ·
Beer, George Edward ·
Bradshaw, Billie Frank ·
Bolander, William H. ·
Black, Stephen ·
Brydon, Walter James ·
Burns, Donald Paul · . . . — — Map (db m160378) WM|
| Civil War
Brown, Wilson, W. Co. F, 21st Ohio Infantry, Private, Army. Born; December 25, 1837 in Logan County, Ohio. Entered service in Wood County, Ohio. Died; December 25th, 1916, in Toledo, Ohio. Buried at New Belleville Ridge Cemetery, . . . — — Map (db m160385) WM|
| Spanish American April 25, 1898 to August 12, 1898
Espen, Michael S. — — Map (db m160382) WM|
| Vietnam May 30, 1962 to April 30, 1975
Anteau, Karl Thomas ·
Ball, Robert ·
Bezeau, Rick William ·
Black, Dewayne Rodney ·
Bly, Robert Tildon ·
Bobo, William Charles ·
Boggess, Ralph M., III ·
Boyer, Charles Thomas · . . . — — Map (db m160375) WM|
| WWI July 28, 1914 to November 11, 1918
Abele, William H. ·
Allen, Irving H. ·
Amos, John Patrick ·
Anderson, Mauda ·
Andrzejczak, Joseph A. ·
Archer, Glen B. ·
Aukerman, Roy A. ·
Austin, Henry ·
Avery, Archie C. ·
Baily, . . . — — Map (db m160381) WM|
| WWII September 1, 1939 to August 15, 1945
Abrams, Albert ·
Acker, George G. ·
Adams, Donald E. ·
Adamski, Joseph S. ·
Adamski, Theodore L. ·
Ahlmann, Richard A. ·
Algrisse, Frank G. ·
Aldrich, Frank E. ·
Aldridge, Eugene F. . . . — — Map (db m160380) WM|
|State interest in medical education for northwest Ohio became a reality when the Medical College of Ohio at Toledo was established in December, 1964. Located initially at South Detroit and Arlington on Lucas County property, MCO moved to the present . . . — — Map (db m94749) HM|
Text on North Side :
1812 Marches 1813
- - - - -
Text on South Side : . . . — — Map (db m93602) HM|
|Moses Fleetwood Walker was born on October 7, 1856 in Ohio to Moses M. Walker, a physician, and Caroline, a midwife. He attended and played baseball at Oberlin College and the University of Michigan. In 1883, Walker joined the newly formed Toledo . . . — — Map (db m94868) HM|
|Erected by Citizens of Toledo, East Side Commercial Club, and Ford Post, GAR Peter and Robert Navarre U.S. Scouts War of 1812 East Toledo Historical Society, 1989 — — Map (db m19556) HM|
|Famous Scout Whose loyalty, courage, and resourcefulness aided the United States in retaining this territory during the War of 1812 – 1815. His grave is 400 feet south of this spot. This memorial erected October 6, 1923. by The Peter Navarre . . . — — Map (db m19552) HM|
(Front):Peter Navarre 1790-1874
Considered the first citizen of the East Side, Peter Navarre, along with his brother Robert, first settled the land east of the Maumee River in 1807. A fur trader by profession, Navarre . . . — — Map (db m19555) HM|
|[East Side of Marker]:"Port Lawrence"
This pioneer village, which was united with its downriver rival, Vistula, to be incorporated as Toledo in 1837, was platted by Cincinnati businessmen in 1817. The "Panic" of 1819 caused the . . . — — Map (db m25999) HM|
|Private Mark Wood, Company C, 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Died July 11, 1866 Congressional Medal of Honor winner
Pvt. Wood, a union soldier during the Civil War, was a member of the famed Andrews Raiders, who took possession of the Confederate . . . — — Map (db m19087) HM|
|This monument erected by Spanish War veterans, patriotic organizations and citizens of the city of Toledo to commemorate the valour and patriotism of the men who served in the War with Spain, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition . . . — — Map (db m121997) WM|
123 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. The final 23 ⊳