Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Madison County Illinois Historical Markers

 
A Changing Waterfront Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, April 24, 2019
A Changing Waterfront Marker
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — A Changing Waterfront
The view from the Alton waterfront has changed dramatically through the years. In the past, the view was dominated by Locks and Dam No. 26, a railroad bridge, and the old Clark Bridge. Today, all three of these structures have been removed, while . . . — Map (db m133282) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — 4 — Alton & Sangamon Railroad
"Drive the Locomotive through our land, and you will have business, activity, prosperity, and mettle." -Benjamin Godfrey In 1834, a group of visionaries in Springfield, Illinois, led by Abraham Lincoln, proposed laying railroad tracks . . . — Map (db m144836) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Alton and the Flood of '93
In the summer of 1993, very heavy and extensive rains began falling in the upper Midwest. This historic event pushed the Mississippi and Missouri rivers to record flood levels, and caused one of the most dramatic and damaging natural disasters in . . . — Map (db m133279) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Alton National Cemetery
Civil War Alton In spring, 1861, pro-Confederate militia in St. Louis, Missouri, threatened to capture the U.S. arsenal there. Union forces in Illinois commandeered the steamboat City of Alton, sailed south, and and at midnight on . . . — Map (db m133299) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — College Avenue Presbyterian Church — 1837
College Avenue Presbyterian Church, established 1837, formerly Upper Alton Presbyterian Church, heralds Elijah Parish Lovejoy, editor and martyr to freedom, as its first pastor. Emerson wrote, "The brave Lovejoy gave his breast to the bullets . . . — Map (db m142158) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — College Avenue Presbyterian Church and the Old Rock House — The Anti-Slavery Society Is Born
This is the third church to be built here since 1836. The first church was made of stone and was built late in 1836 on the present site. The land and church's bell were donated by Enoch Long. Elijah Parish Lovejoy was the first pastor . . . — Map (db m144833) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Discover History All Around Alton
Rich in heritage and haunted by history, many threads of our nation's past can be discovered here in Alton. Located at the confluence of the Mississippi, Illinois, and Missouri rivers, Alton is one of America's great river towns. It was the . . . — Map (db m133286) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Elijah Parish Lovejoy
Elijah Parish Lovejoy (Nov. 9, 1802 - Nov. 7, 1837) was a newspaper editor, social reformer, and Presbyterian minister whose death at the hands of an angry mob at Alton, Illinois, made him an enduring symbol of the fight for human liberty and . . . — Map (db m133297) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Elijah Parish Lovejoy
[South side] Editor Alton Observer Albion, Me., Nov. 8. 1802. Alton, Ill., Nov. 7, 1837. A Martyr to Liberty "I have sworn eternal opposition to slavery, and by the blessing of God I will never turn back." . . . — Map (db m133298) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Elijah Parish Lovejoy
Elijah Parish Lovejoy was the first pastor of Upper Alton Presbyterian Church, now College Avenue Presbyterian Church. A minister, teacher, newspaper editor, and martyr to free speech and the abolition of slavery, he was fatally shot on Nov. 7, . . . — Map (db m142159) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — First Soybeans Planted in Illinois, 1851
Bitten by gold rush fever in 1849, Dr. Benjamin F. Edwards, brother to former Illinois governor Ninian Edwards and the Honorable Cyrus Edwards, left Alton and traveled to San Francisco to try to capitalize on the economic opportunity. Days before he . . . — Map (db m140668) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Freedom's Martyr — Elijah P. Lovejoy
Considered by many to be the first casualty of the Civil War, abolitionist editor and Presbyterian minister Rev. Elijah P. Lovejoy was killed defending the freedom of the press. Editor of the St. Louis Observer, Lovejoy wrote . . . — Map (db m133295) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — 1 — Godfrey, Gilman & Co. Warehouse
"Lovejoy's tragic death for freedom in every sense marked his sad ending as the most important single event that ever happened in the new world." - Abraham Lincoln in a letter to his friend Rev. James Lemen, March 2, 1857 In 1832, . . . — Map (db m144832) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Great River Floods
Throughout history, Mississippi River floods have been a part of the natural cycle of life [unreadable]. During each flood, residents have worked to lessen damage, and have slowly rebuilt their towns, their farms, and their lives. Today, a modern . . . — Map (db m133280) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Haskell Playhouse
This unique Queen Anne style playhouse was built in 1885 for five year old Lucy J. Haskell, daughter of Dr. William A. and Florence Hayner Haskell. It is believed Lucy's grandfather, John E. Hayner, commissioned prominent local architect, Lucas J. . . . — Map (db m133293) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — In Remembrance - Wood River Massacre - July 10, 1814
In remembrance of the pioneer days of this area and to the memory of the victims of the Wood River Massacre who were killed by Indians near this site on July 10, 1814 - Rachel Reagan, Elizabeth 7, Timothy 3 wife and children of Reason Reagan - . . . — Map (db m47661) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — John Mason Peck
On this site in 1831, John Mason Peck (1789-1858), pioneer Baptist preacher, author, and educator, established the school which became Shurtleff College. In 1817, Peck had left his home in New England with a vision "to bring the lamp of learning and . . . — Map (db m139658) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Lincoln-Douglas Debates! — Lincoln's Rise to Prominence
The two life-like statues represent a monumental event in our nation's history—the Lincoln-Douglas debates. For a decade, the Illinois U.S. Senate seat was held by Stephen A. Douglas, one of the most famous politicians of his time. . . . — Map (db m133288) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Lyman Trumbull House — New Birth of Freedom
The stately house down the block once housed the co-author of the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery in the United States. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free—honorable alike in what we give and what we . . . — Map (db m133291) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Miles Davis — May 26, 1926 - September 28, 1991 — Alton, Illinois - Birthplace of the Cool —
Miles Dewey Davis III is noted as one of the most influential jazz musicians of the 20th century. The son of a successful dental surgeon and music teacher, he was born in Alton, Illinois prior to the family relocating to East St. Louis, Illinois in . . . — Map (db m144775) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — 5 — Plank Road
"Godfrey [Illinois] was in the forefront of the early-day road paving enterprise of a century ago…that was the day of the celebrated plank toll roads." - Alton Evening Telegraph, July 17, 1952 In 1836, during construction of Monticello . . . — Map (db m144919) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Robert Pershing Wadlow
Robert Pershing Wadlow, Alton's gentleman giant, was born February 22, 1918. He lived most of his life in Alton, where he attended Alton High School and Shurtleff College, now the campus of S.I.U.E. Dental School. At age five, Robert was 5'6" tall . . . — Map (db m140133) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Ruins of First State Prison in Illinois
Ruins of first state prison in Illinois. Built in 1830-31. Unsanitary conditions aroused persistent criticism from Dorothea Dix, pioneer in prison reform. All inmates were transferred to Joliet prior to 1860. During the Civil War many Confederate . . . — Map (db m144762) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Ryder Building — Lincoln Practiced Here — Life Before Presidency —
Lincoln made frequent legal and political trips to Alton putting him in the heart of Alton history. For nearly twenty-five years before becoming president, Lincoln was a general practice attorney, representing clients in a variety of civil . . . — Map (db m133290) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Scott Bibb and the Alton School Desegregation Case — (1897-1908)
Scott Bibb (1855-1909) was the plaintiff in the Alton School Case, a series of lawsuits that sought to retain Alton's desegregated schools, which had existed in Alton from 1872 to 1897, a short-lived outcome of the Reconstruction era. When Alton . . . — Map (db m133294) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Smallpox Island — The Deadly Epidemic
A now-submerged island directly across from you is a mass gravesite for hundreds of Confederate solders. "In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all and to the young it comes with bittersweet agony, because it takes them . . . — Map (db m133283) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — 2 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
"He had been in Alton scarcely a year when he began the building with his own funds, of a neat stone church on the corner of Third and Market Street and offered the building for use of all organized religious bodies in the town. From that time . . . — Map (db m144835) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — The Cost of Freedom
More people died during the Civil War than during any other war in U.S. history. An estimated 200 Union soldiers are buried at the Alton Cemetery. More than three million fought in the Civil War. Two percent of the population—more . . . — Map (db m133300) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — The Duel That Never Happened
An island in the Mississippi River across from Alton was the site of one of Abraham Lincoln's less celebrated adventures. "I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday." — Abraham . . . — Map (db m133285) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — The Legend of the Piasa
In 1673 Jacques Marquette reported that he and fellow French explorer Louis Jolliet discovered a Painting of what was probably two "Water Monsters" on the bluffs of the Mississippi River near present day Alton. By 1700 those pictographic creatures . . . — Map (db m89339) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Veterans Memorial
Plaque 1. This memorial is erected to commemorate the patriotism and devotion of our citizens who answered our country's call and served in the World War. Plaque 2. Let us have faith in that right makes might, and in that . . . — Map (db m55500) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Bethalto — Culp Lane Park — History of the Park
The following is a description of Culp Lane Park that the Village of Bethalto has undertaken. As you can see the village of Bethalto teamed with the state of Illinois with Illinois First Funds as well as Madison County, Illinois Community . . . — Map (db m141361) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — Cahokia — City of the Sun
Cahokia was the largest prehistoric Indian community in America north of Mexico. It covered an area of six square-miles, including at least 120 mounds of different size and function. Initial occupation during Late Woodland times (AD 700-800) . . . — Map (db m74881) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — Collinsville — Main Street of America
Imagine Main Street in the early 1900s. Horses pull supply wagons stocked with fruits, vegetables, and dry goods to shops facing the thoroughfare. Trolleys bounce and clang as they trundle down rails at the street's center. Bicyclists weave between . . . — Map (db m144068) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — Monks Mound — The largest prehistoric earthwork in the Americas
Monks Mound is the largest prehistoric earthwork in the Americas. Its base covers over 14 acres, and it rises to a height of 100 feet. It contains an estimated 22 million cubic feet of earth, all hand-carried in baskets from the many borrow pits . . . — Map (db m62175) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — Pan
Carl Christian Mose (1903-1973), instructor of modeling at the School of Fine Arts at Washington University was commissioned to design and construct the center piece for the Dorris Fountain in March of 1938. A youthful terra cotta figure of . . . — Map (db m148774) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — Stockade — A Walled City
The central ceremonial precinct of Cahokia was enclosed by a defensive wall, the Stockade (or Palisade). It was built of upright logs placed in 4-5 foot deep trenches and probably stood 10-15 feet high above the ground. It would take an estimated . . . — Map (db m74887) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The 1937 Main Building
In October 15, 1915 the President of the Collinsville Study Club (now the Woman's Club) appointed a library project committee. The library opened its doors on August 26, 1916 with a single bookcase of some three or four shelves. The City Council . . . — Map (db m148710) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The 1960's Additions to the Library Building
History of the 1962-63 wing The East wing of the Collinsville Memorial Library was built in 1962-63. The addition was designed by Albert R. Goedde, assistant to J.W. Kennedy on the original design. The wing was built at a cost of $43,000 . . . — Map (db m148776) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The 1986 Additions to the Library Building
History of the 1985-86 wing In 1985-86 the four story 16,800 square foot south wing including a 3,479 square foot meeting room was added to the Collinsville Memorial Library. Robert Field was the architect. In 1983 the City Council of . . . — Map (db m148771) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The Blum House
Pre-1997 The Blum House located at 414 West Main Street in Collinsville is a home closely connected with one of the town's most well known industries. Two of the three generations of the Blum family who operated the internationally known . . . — Map (db m142974) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The Collinsville Historical Museum
In 1975 as a bicentennial project, Irving Dilliard and Lucille Stehman founded the Friends of the Collinsville Historical Museum. This organization formed around the artifacts of the Collins family trunk which had been acquired by Mr. . . . — Map (db m148711) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The D.D. Collins House
Built circa 1845 by Daniel Dove Collins (1814-1892) for his bride Elizabeth M. Anderson (1826-1902), the Collins House is an example of Greek revival architecture. As the first president of the Collinsville village board, Collins held board meetings . . . — Map (db m144010) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The Dorris Fountain
The fountain in front of the Main Entrance of the Collinsville Memorial Public Library was dedicated on May 25, 1938 in honor to Charles H. Dorris by the teachers and students of the Collinsville Unit 10 School District in which he served as the . . . — Map (db m148773) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The Magnolia Tree
In March 1966 the 76 year old Magnolia Tree planted by the late Theodore Ambrosius was moved from its original site on Clay Street to the front lawn of the Collinsville Memorial Library. The tree was scheduled to be taken down from the . . . — Map (db m148778) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — Woodhenge — A prehistoric solar calendar
At least five large post-circle monuments were built at this location from AD 1100 to 1200, each with a different diameter and number of posts. Woodhenge III is the circle most extensively excavated and is the one reconstructed here, in the original . . . — Map (db m62174) HM
Illinois (Madison County), East Alton — Wann Railroad Disaster
The Wann Disaster of January 21, 1893, is Madison County’s most horrific railroad tragedy. It caused the greatest loss of life and cases of personal injury in a single incident. The accident occurred at the Wann Junction on the Big Four Railroad, . . . — Map (db m139657) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Benjamin Stephenson House — 1820
Stephenson House built 1820 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places for Historical & Architectural Significance — Map (db m55340) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Cleaon Etzkorn Bandstand
Dedicated on June 3, 1982 In recognition of 50 years of outstanding service to the Edwardsville Municipal Band during which he served 25 years as its director

Edwardsville Rotary Club serving the community as the major contributor to . . . — Map (db m54303) HM

Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Edwardsville — Home of Five Illinois Governors
Edward Coles 1822-1826 Ninian Edwards 1826-1830 John Reynolds 1830-1834 Thomas Ford 1842-1846 Charles S. Deneen 1905-1913 — Map (db m143186) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Edwardsville National Bank Clock
First erected in 1923 at the corner of St. Louis Street and North Main Street Through funds raised by public donations, the clock was relocated in this Clock Tower park and presented to the City of Edwardsville in gratitude for its commitment . . . — Map (db m52630) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Edwardsville, Illinois — Welcome to Route 66 Illinois
Route 66, the Mother Road, is an American icon that symbolizes romance and freedom of the open road. Born in 1926, Route 66 was one of the first numbered U.S. highways, journeying 2,500 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles. Today, you can still "get . . . — Map (db m144542) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — First Cemetery in the City of Edwardsville
This tract of ground was the first cemetery in the City of Edwardsville. Buried here are the soldiers of our early wars and the pioneer settlers of this community. — Map (db m144183) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Fort Russell
One quarter-mile to the west stood Fort Russell, a wooden stockade which served as a base of supplies and operations for the Illinois Militia during the War of 1812. From here, for months at a time, Governor Ninian Edwards administered the affairs . . . — Map (db m54759) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Goshen Road Terminus
The Goshen Road was one of the main arteries of travel in the early 1800's, when Illinois was frontier country. The road ran in a northwesterly direction from Shawneetown to Edwardsville -- a distance of more than 150 miles. Shawneetown and . . . — Map (db m138859) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Governor Coles and Slavery
Site of the courthouse where, in 1824, political enemies convicted Governor Edward Coles of illegally freeing his slaves. "To preserve to a continuous line of generations that liberty obtained by the valor of our forefathers, we must make . . . — Map (db m143182) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — In grateful memory of the early settlers
In grateful memory of the early settlers, who by courage industry and endurance transformed a wilderness into a land of order peace and plenty. — Map (db m145603) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — In Memory of Dr. Thomas R. Yates
. . . — Map (db m145604) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — LeClaire, Illinois
Social visionary N.O. Nelson founded the village of LeClaire in 1890, naming it after Edme Jean LeClaire, who inaugurated profit sharing in France. In contrast to unsanitary urban tenement districts, LeClaire was a model cooperative village offering . . . — Map (db m143190) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Ninian Edwards — 1775 - 1833
Territorial Governor 1809-1818 U.S. Senator from Illinois 1818-1824 Elected Third Governor of Illinois 1826-1831 City of Edwardsville was named in his honor in 1813 — Map (db m54296) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Site of Abraham Lincoln's Speech
. . . — Map (db m52639) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — The Madison County Centennial Monument
This monument was dedicated September 16, 1912, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Madison County and rededicated on September 15, 2012, to commemorate its 200th anniversary. Dedicated to early Madison County settlers by Governor Charles . . . — Map (db m145602) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — The Mississippi River Festival
The once world-renowned concert venue Mississippi River Festival ("MRF") began as a pioneering experiment in regional cooperation between Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and the St. Louis Symphony. The Symphony was invited to establish . . . — Map (db m144301) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Glen Carbon — Bethel Meetinghouse
Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist church in Illinois These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church . . . — Map (db m147890) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Glen Carbon — Village Hall & Firehouse
The Old Village Hall & Firehouse was built in 1910 for $5,625 on land donated by the Madison Coal Corporation. Fire equipment was housed on the first floor and the Village Government utilized the second floor. A jail was located in the basement. The . . . — Map (db m145878) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Glen Carbon — World War I Memorial
In memory of the two boys who died in France [Supplementary plaque:] Local Landmark WWI Monument Est. 1920 — Map (db m145873) WM
Illinois (Madison County), Godfrey — 8 — Benjamin Godfrey
"He was not a perfect man, but the leading aim of his long life was to do right and benefit his fellow men, and in this he was eminently successful." - Article titled "Capt. Benjamin Godfrey." The Alton Telegraph, August 29, 1862 . . . — Map (db m144941) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Godfrey — 7 — Benjamin Godfrey Memorial Chapel
"Compared to other surviving Greek Revival churches in Illinois, the building stands on its own. There is nothing like it in the state." - Illinois Department of Conservation, 1977 Completed in 1854, the Benjamin Godfrey Memorial . . . — Map (db m144922) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Godfrey — 8 — Godfrey Cemetery
The Godfrey Cemetery, originally known as Monticello Cemetery, was part of the property owned by Benjamin Godfrey that was donated to the Monticello Seminary in February 1840. Four acres of the property were to be used for interments for the . . . — Map (db m144940) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Godfrey — 9 — Godfrey Mansion
"Although there is an occasional profile which suggests the Greek Revival, it is as [though] it were designed from a hazy memory…the atmosphere of the whole indicates a southern influence." - Historic American Buildings Survey, 1934 . . . — Map (db m144942) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Godfrey — 6 — Monticello College
"My years at Monticello formed such an epoch, and it is no flattery to say that to you I owe much of the richness and beauty of the landscape over which I now exult. For your teaching gave me intellectually a broader scope and firmer footing . . . — Map (db m144920) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Granite City — Old Chain of Rocks Bridge — Welcome to Route 66 Illinois
Route 66, the Mother Road, is an American icon that symbolizes romance and freedom of the open road. Born in 1926, Route 66 was one of the first numbered U.S. highways, journeying 2,500 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles. Today, you can still "get . . . — Map (db m144521) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Granite City — Six Mile Prairie
Six Mile Prairie, located in the American Bottom six miles from St. Louis, was first settled in the 1830's by American farm families who migrated from the Upland south. With their crude farm implements, these pioneers broke through the tough prairie . . . — Map (db m138844) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Hamel — Truckin Down 66 - Cassens Transport and Hamel — Tourist Haven Resaurant
It Began with Four Cars - Cassens Transport began in 1931 when Albert and Arnold hauld four new cars from Detroit to their father George's dealership in Hamel. By 1941, Cassens had a fleet of 35 car transporters operating from its terminal . . . — Map (db m144481) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Hartford — Lewis and Clark Expedition
Near here at Camp Dubois, the Lewis and Clark Detachment spent the winter of 1803. They left on May 14, 1804, ascending the Missouri River to its source. Crossed the Great Divide reaching the Pacific on November 7, 1805. They returned to Illinois on . . . — Map (db m141833) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Hartford — The Journey Begins Here
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark of the Corps of Discovery stayed at Camp River Dubois during the winter of 1803–1804, on their journey to find an all-water-route to the Pacific Ocean. For five months, the Corps stayed near the confluence of . . . — Map (db m2400) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Hartford — The Village of Hartford — Lewis & Clark Expedition — 1803-1806 —
The exact number of participants on the expedition is uncertain. Journals of participants indicate that it may have been as few as 26 and as many as 45. The following names were mentioned in accounts of the expedition: Meriwether Lewis . . . — Map (db m142937) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Highland — Highland — Fresh Horses and New Courses
During the era of stagecoach travel, the building before you played an important role. It anchored a relay station. Coach journeys were broken into stages of about 10 miles. At the end of each stage, drivers stopped at a relay station like . . . — Map (db m144107) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Highland — Illinois Remembers POW/MIA
Capt. John Causey, Granite City SP4 Randall Dalton, Collinsville W01 James Dayton, Granite City — Map (db m133471) WM
Illinois (Madison County), Marine — Capt. Curtis Blakeman and the Marine Settlement
In memory of Capt. Curtis Blakeman and the Marine Settlement Just north of here, in 1819, a group of sea captains, Blakeman, Allen, Breath, Deselherst, and Mead from Connecticut, arrived and built log cabins, naming the . . . — Map (db m48946) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Roxana — Wanda Methodist Church
On this site religious services have been held since 1802 - Methodist Church organized 1809 - Fort Chouteau 7/8 mile south built for protection from indians 1811 - Salem Camp meetings held 1813-1861 - Wanda carried name of Salem until 1875 — Map (db m77724) HM
Illinois (Madison County), St. Jacob — St. Jacob — The St. Louis Wagon Road
In the mid 1800s, roughly a quarter-mile east of where you stand, Madison County residents carved a settlement from farm fields, prairie grass, broken forests, and the National Road. Here, the National Road was little more than a scraped-earth . . . — Map (db m144106) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Troy — Troy — Cabins, Coaches and Coal Mines
"It looks like home." That's what Frederick Mersinger might say if he could see the cabin in this park. The building was reconstructed from photos of a log home purchased by Mersinger in 1859. Generations of Mersingers grew up in the house, south of . . . — Map (db m144083) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Venice — Main Street of America ran right through Venice — 1926-1936 — The McKinley Bridge - First Route 66 path across the mighty Mississippi River —
From Chicago to Los Angeles, Route 66 was routed over the streets of cities and towns both large and small. Thus its nickname "The Main Street of America." In Illinois, the first state to have all of Route 66 paved, the infamous highway was routed . . . — Map (db m139428) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Wood River — Lewis and Clark Expedition — See Historic Illinois
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark originally planned to camp west of the Mississippi River during the winter of 1803-04. Carlos Dehault Delassus, the Spanish commandant at St. Louis, however, had not received formal notification from his government . . . — Map (db m141787) HM

85 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020