Charles L. Henry’s Union Traction Company, the first electric rail line specifically designed for interurban service, began operating through here on January 1, 1898. It ran from Alexandria to Anderson. Indiana became the traction center of the . . . — — Map (db m1185) HM
This shaded boulevard, once named Anderson Street, remains a legacy of this city's Gas Boom Era. Bound by German St. (now 7th) on the North and Washington St (now 9th) Southward, the homes of this District attest to the people and events that have . . . — — Map (db m1163) HM
The home is located on Lot 3 of the original plat presented by President Monroe in 1823 as Andersontown by William Conner, son-in-law of Chief Kikthawenund (Chief Anderson). Here Captain John Berry built a log cabin. In 1865 Alfred Makepeace erected . . . — — Map (db m233) HM
( Panel - - W. W. I - “A - Z” )
In memory of Madison County Veterans
who paid the Supreme Sacrifice in W. W. I
( Row One )
Carl Abel • Sim Anderson • Henry Auler • Clarence Austin • Forrest Baker • . . . — — Map (db m82425) WM
This Public Square was part of Chief Anderson's Delaware Indian Village. In 1827, thirty acres were donated to Madison County by John and Salley Berry to relocate the county seat from Pendleton to Anderson. The remaining acreage was sold by the . . . — — Map (db m232) HM
At this site Anderson's original street railway line extended northward to the PanHandle Railroad depot located at Main and Fifth Streets. Two mule-drawn street cars, each seating twenty persons; first operated over the 3-mile route on the evening . . . — — Map (db m40733) HM
The Bronnenbergs represent true pioneer spirit and a preservationist ethic.
Frederick Brandenburg was born in 1775 in Germany. As a youth he apprenticed as a tanner. Brandenburg immigrated to America as a young man, changing his name to . . . — — Map (db m82577) HM
German immigrant Frederick Bronnenberg arrived in this area with his wife, Barbara, and several children in 1821. While traveling to Illinois, one of the oxen in their team gave out nearby. The Bronnenbergs decided to make their home here, in . . . — — Map (db m62127) HM
—1827–1977— The pioneer Methodist Church of Anderson began meeting in homes in 1821 and was organized as a congregation in 1827. Their first primitive log church was on the southwest corner of 11th and Delaware Streets. In 1849 a . . . — — Map (db m231) HM
The outer embankment of this earthwork was constructed about 160 B.C. by the Adena people. Later, the Hopewell people added a small mound containing four human skeletons, cremations, bone awls, pottery shards, projectile points and a platform pipe . . . — — Map (db m1226) HM
Republican Presidential candidate delivered his acceptance speech at Callaway Park, August 17, 1940.
Wilkie’s Democrat opponent, Franklin D. Roosevelt, won the 1940 election and later appointed Wilkie to Britain as a liaison during World War . . . — — Map (db m1187) HM
Here in Callaway Park August 17, 1940, Willkie accepted Republican party presidential nomination after a nationwide grassroots campaign. An estimated crowd of 250,000 was in the park and along adjacent streets. Established campaign headquarters in . . . — — Map (db m1186) HM
The original log cabin of John D. Markle 1793 – 1865 was erected on this site in 1833. An early pioneer of Adams Township, Mr. Markle founded the town of Markleville in 1854, and was Postmaster until 1860. — — Map (db m106449) HM
In 1843, Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society sent speakers to New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana to hold "One Hundred Conventions" on abolition. When speakers encountered citizens with deeply held racist ideas, they were . . . — — Map (db m69254) HM
Pendleton’s first Library Association was formed in 1877. Subscribers paid $5 each for one of 200 association shares.
In 1906, 18 community residents formed the Independent Social Club. Each read a book, they brought it to a meeting. . . . — — Map (db m104357) HM
After decades as a milling center and stone quarry, the area around the falls was, by 1918, an eyesore. Pendleton hardware store owner and town board member B.F. Phipps felt the area should be more than the town dump. His vision: Clean it . . . — — Map (db m104360) HM
U.S. took American Indian lands in central Indiana by treaty in 1818. Some Indian villages and camps remained in the area as white settlers rushed to buy land. In the spring of 1824, white men murdered nine Indian men, women and children . . . — — Map (db m104355) HM
The two-story Pendleton Town Hall, fire station and police headquarters stood here. On the night of January 9, 1936, as town board members met on the second floor, some men sat talking on the first. Irvin Taylor, a 50-year-old Pendleton . . . — — Map (db m104358) HM
When first discovered, the falls were a natural wonder. In the midst of a dense forest flowed a pristine creek cascading over terraces of magnificent stone.
According to legend, Native Americans believed the area around the falls . . . — — Map (db m104359) HM