Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Maricopa County Arizona Historical Markers

 
Anthem Veterans Memorial Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, February 17, 2015
Anthem Veterans Memorial Marker
Arizona (Maricopa County), Anthem — Anthem Veterans Memorial — Dedicated November 11, 2011
Every year on Veterans Day, the five pillars of the Memorial will align perfectly to cast one, long shadow across the circle of pavers at precisely 11:11 a.m. At the exact same time, the sunlight projecting through the elliptical openings in the . . . — Map (db m81043) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — Alchesay
Alchesay led his people in war and peace Alchesay Canyon, to your right, was named for a great leader. Chief Alchesay, born around 1853, was a leader among the White Mountain Apache. Other Apaches looked up to him not only because he . . . — Map (db m34073) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — Apache Lake
Apache Lake is the deepest on the entire chain of reservoir lakes on the Salt River. It was created by the construction of Horse Mesa Dam in 1927. Apache Lake Marina will help you enjoy the Lake. Food, lodging and marina services are available. . . . — Map (db m34063) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — Roosevelt Dam — 1989 – 1996
After nearly nine years of work, $430 million in construction cost, 450,000 cubic yards of concrete, and 849 miles of reinforcing steel, another vivid chapter in Arizona history has been rewritten. Modifications to Roosevelt Dam were required . . . — Map (db m34107) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — The People Who Made It Happen — The Building of a Dam
The construction of Roosevelt Dam involved several thousand people over the course of the project. Hiring was straightforward; a foreman would simply size up a man and decide if he could do the work. Jobs requiring diverse skills were plentiful. . . . — Map (db m34108) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — Welcome to the Apache Trail Historic Road
"The Apache Trail combines the grandeur of the Alps, the Glory of the Rockies, the magnificence of the Grand Canyon and then adds an indefinable something that none of the others have. To me, it is the most awe-inspiring and most sublimely . . . — Map (db m34066) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Arlington — Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge
Main Marker - Side A: The Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge spans the Gila River on Old US 80 Highway, between the communities of Arlington and Gila Bend. Built in 1927 as a Federal Aid Project, the bridge is a unique and elegant reminder of . . . — Map (db m54936) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Arlington — Original 1927 Bridge Roller Bearing — Gillespie Dam Bridge Rehabilitation — 2012 Arizona Centennial Legacy Project
In December 2011, as the Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge approached its 85th year of service, the Maricopa County Department of Transportation began a major bridge rehabilitation and repair effort to save one of Arizona's earliest and most significant . . . — Map (db m69445) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Carefree — The Old Verde River Sheep Bridge
Marker 1 - (Main Marker): The original Verde River Sheep Bridge, also known as the Red Point Sheep Bridge, was constructed at this location in 1943 by Flagstaff Sheep Company, which had been grazing sheep in the area under a Forest . . . — Map (db m53966) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Anderson Building — 72 San Marcos Place
Anderson Building, 1914 Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places Built by local Chandler rancher and early business investor John Anderson, this structure was home to Curry and Frye's Pool Hall, . . . — Map (db m72037) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Arizona Cotton Land
The land surrounding this cemetery represents the beginning of commercial cotton growing in Arizona. In January 1917, during World War I, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company founded the Southwest Cotton Company to begin producing long-staple . . . — Map (db m34554) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Arthur E. Price — 1889 – 1971 — “Patriarch of Chandler”
Chandler’s First City Attorney Filed Incorporation Papers Drafted the City Constitution and By-Laws Farmer – Land Developer — Map (db m70997) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Bank of Chandler — 8 South San Marcos Place
Bank of Chandler, 1912Dr. A. J. Chandler built the original structure on this site to serve as the main office for his Chandler Improvement Company. The Bank of Chandler shared this building until 1925. Bogle Farms and other offices operated . . . — Map (db m71000) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Dougherty Building — 58 South San Marcos Place
Dougherty Building, 1914 Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places This building, constructed by Michael F. Dougherty, has been home to a number of businesses, including the Charles Karp Clothing . . . — Map (db m71008) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Dr. A. J. Chandler — 1859 – 1950
He knew no yesterdays His living was for tomorrow Founder of the town of Chandler Built the San Marcos Hotel Arizona’s first veterinarian Father of modern irrigation system Pioneer rancher and developer of the southside area of the . . . — Map (db m70990) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — First National Bank, 1918 — Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places
John Dobson and John Anderson built the First National Bank in the Neo Classical Style. In 1925 the Bank of Chandler moved into this building, complete with its marble faced columns. In the late 1930’s, the prominent Valley National Bank took over . . . — Map (db m100867) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Goodyear – Ocotillo Cemetery
This small plot of land was designated a cemetery by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio. Goodyear owned and farmed the surrounding acreage from 1916 until 1943. Goodyear workers and their families are buried here. Local oral history . . . — Map (db m34555) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Historic A. J. Chandler Park / The Chandler District Honor Roll
Side A: Historic A.J. Chandler Park The centerpiece of Dr. A.J. Chandler’s town design in 1912 was a large, rectangular central park. In the early years, this park was covered in Bermuda grass, trees, and included footbridges over . . . — Map (db m70980) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Hotel Chandler — 98 South San Marcos Place
Hotel Chandler, 1914 Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places The second story of this building was the Hotel Chandler, an affordable alternative to the luxurious San Marcos Hotel. Starting in 1917, . . . — Map (db m72133) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Monroe Building — 16 South San Marcos Place
Monroe Building, 1912 Chandler Historic Business District on the National Register of Historic Places Built by the Chandler Improvement Company, this building is named for merchant M. E. Monroe, who opened the Monroe Hardware Store in the . . . — Map (db m71001) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Morrison Grocery — 40 South San Marcos Place
Morrison Grocery, 1912 Chandler Historic Business District on the National Register of Historic Places Ernest and Leroy Morrison opened the Chandler’s first grocery here in 1912. The building has been host to a series of grocery stores, the . . . — Map (db m71003) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Price Building — 80 South Marcos Place
Price Building, 1914 Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places Chandler's first elected Mayor, David Jacobson, built this structure. It is named for Arthur E. Price, Chandler's first attorney and . . . — Map (db m72051) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Suhwaro Hotel — 58 West Buffalo
Suhwaro Hotel, 1916 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places This Spanish Mission Revival building had many uses, including a hotel, school and bowling alley. The San Marcos Hotel purchased the Suhwaro Hotel in 1924 for staff . . . — Map (db m49867) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — The McCormick Building
Designated Historical as part of Downtown Chandler Built in 1928 as the original IOOF Hall and Armory Remodeled in the 60’s into a medical and apartment complex Restored back to it’s original design in 2001 by the . . . — Map (db m100876) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Fort McDowell — Camp Reno
From 1866 to 1868 this outpost of Ft. McDowell served as a departure point for military expeditions against the Tonto and Pinal Apache Indians. — Map (db m27679) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Fort McDowell — Canyon Lake
Canyon Lake was formed following the construction of Mormon Flat Dam from 1923-25 by USDI, Bureau of Reclamation. Salt River Project manages the dam for water storage and power generation. Water stored in this reservoir is collected from the 13,000 . . . — Map (db m34062) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Fort McDowell — Fort McDowell
This important military post protected central Arizona settlements from the Tonto Apaches during the Indian wars 1865-1886. Its function as a military post ended in 1890 and it became a reservation by executive order, September 15, 1909 as home of . . . — Map (db m27681) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Fort McDowell — Grave of Dr. Carlos Montezuma — (Wassaja) — 1855-1923
Greatest of the educated Apaches, this Mohave-Apache Indian was taken captive at the age of six by Pima Indians. He was sold to a white man who educated him as a physician. Dr. Montezuma had a splendid practice in Chicago and became a champion of . . . — Map (db m27680) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Clement's Garage — Heritage District
The longest continuous running business in Gilbert is still owned and operated by the sons of Tom Clement. Tom came to Gilbert to run the garage and service station in 1934. He raised his family here and later served as the Mayor of Gilbert from . . . — Map (db m88083) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Creed Building — Heritage District
This building was originally the Creed Store. The 1923 picture below is of Raymond R. Creed who served as the Mayor of Gilbert in 1925. Ethel Hoffman Lacy, shown in the center of the photo, was the postmaster at this time. Winnie Johnson, wife of . . . — Map (db m88070) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Dance Pavilion — Heritage District
For many years this site was a vacant lot. In the late 1930s Mr. Templeton converted the lot into a dance pavilion. He constructed a wood floor, added lights and surrounded it with a fence. Couples who came to dance on Saturday nights paid ten cents . . . — Map (db m88081) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Gilbert Elementary School — Heritage District
This is the third elementary school in Gilbert and was built in 1913. The first two schools were part of the Mesa School District. Everett Wilbur, who later became Gilbert’s first mayor in 1920, donated the land where this school was built. The east . . . — Map (db m94589) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Gilbert Town Hall — Heritage District
The Gilbert town hall was built in 1938 to serve the area's 1400 residents. This building consisted of a fire station with a jail behind it. The courthouse and council chambers were also in the building. On January 2, 1938, Congress approved the . . . — Map (db m88082) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Liberty Market — Heritage District
Eddie and Edith Dong built Liberty Market in 1936. It was a very modern store at that time. Ben Ong, a native of China, came to the United States in 1929 and began working at Liberty Market in 1936. Ben married Mae in a typical Chinese family . . . — Map (db m88065) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Pump House — Heritage District
In 1925 the well for Gilbert’s domestic water was drilled to the depth of 475 feet where a large flow of pure water was found. A six-inch pipe was sunk to bring the water to the surface. The tower and pumping station were constructed during the . . . — Map (db m90238) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — The Bank of Gilbert — Heritage District
The Bank of Gilbert was built in 1917. One of the men instrumental in the creation of the bank was Abe Cosby (pictured below on right) who came to Gilbert to invest in land and open a real estate office. Bill Andersen, (shown of left) one of the . . . — Map (db m88069) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Tone Building — Heritage District
In 1918 Timmons garage was located on this site. Mr. Timmons sold the garage to Albert Tone, an accountant and Gilbert's first mail carrier, who went into business with Charles M. Blakely repairing Model T Ford automobiles. In 1924 Blakely took the . . . — Map (db m88067) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — 59th Avenue Residential Historic District
This district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed September 6, 2006 This District is part of Block 9 and 16 of the Hadsell's Addition. The District is . . . — Map (db m30498) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Adobe House — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
This house, which is the oldest building at Sahuaro Ranch, is believed to have been built in 1887, one year after William Bartlett started the ranch. It was constructed of adobe bricks made here at the ranch, possibly using dirt that was excavated . . . — Map (db m40639) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Blacksmith and Machine Shop — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Farm and ranch work have always been hard on machinery, making frequent repairs necessary. Throughout Sahuaro Ranch's history, most of these repairs were made here by the ranch's own employees. This building, which is believed to have been . . . — Map (db m40676) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — C. H. Tinker House — Built 1913
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed January 11, 2006 Cullin H. Tinker, prominent banker, and mayor from 1916 to 1922 built the house in 1913, . . . — Map (db m30480) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — C. L. Gillett Block/Glendale State Bank Building — 5825 West Glendale Avenue — Built 1909
C. L. Gillett, businessman and member of the first Glendale City Council, built this two-story brick building. The first floor was used for businesses, and the second floor was used as a meeting hall. E. J. Fiock bought the building in 1910, for his . . . — Map (db m30438) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Catlin Court Historic District — National Register of Historic Places — Listed June 9, 1992
United States Department of the Interior. Catlin Court was one of Glendale's earliest and most desirable neighborhoods. In 1914 Otto and Marie R. Hansen platted an eighty-acre tract of land and called it after Marie's maiden name. Bounded . . . — Map (db m30476) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — City of Glendale Veterans Memorial
USS Arizona (BB-39) Launched June 19, 1915 Commissioned October 17, 1916 This memorial honors the human sacrifice and courage of every military veteran who defends the freedom of all Americans, regardless of the battlefront. This is . . . — Map (db m40586) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Corrals and Tack House — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
The corrals here are the remnants of the sprawling complex of corrals and pastures needed to raise the livestock that was always important to the operations of Sahuaro Ranch. In early years, horses and mules were the primary source of power for . . . — Map (db m40686) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Coury Building — 6835 N. 58th Drive — Built 1940
On November 14, 1940, Tom Coury signed an agreement with building contractor, H. D. McNeely, and the Glendale Lumber Company to construct a 42' x 65' brick building at a cost of $3,911. Upon completion of the building, Smart and Final Wholesale . . . — Map (db m30439) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Dairy Barn — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Although some cows were probably always kept on the ranch to supply fresh milk and butter, it was not until after Richard W. Smith bought Sahuaro Ranch in 1927 that dairy cows were raised here commercially. At first the Smith family sold only . . . — Map (db m40662) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — First National Bank of Glendale Building
This structure was built in 1909 as the north half of the Hotchkiss building. It was a pool hall prior to 1918, when C. H. Tinker (Mayor 1918-20) purchased and remodeled it for his Security State Bank which he renamed The First National Bank of . . . — Map (db m30442) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Floralcroft Historic District — Platted 1928
This district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed April 6, 2006 Flora Mae Statler, the daughter of Glendale pioneer Elder Charles E. Gillett, was born in . . . — Map (db m30496) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Foreman's House — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Built sometime around the turn of the 20th century, this house was the last residence to be constructed at Sahuaro Ranch. Little is known about who lived in the house, but it appears to have been built as a residence for the employees of William . . . — Map (db m40688) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Fruit Packing Shed — at Sahuaro Ranch...
This packing shed, constructed in 1891, is one of the oldest farm buildings on the ranch. It was designed by James M. Creighton, a prominent architect in territoral Arizona. Exactly how the shed was used is not known, but presumably it was here . . . — Map (db m40702) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale Business District — Developed 1896 – 1921
Settled in 1892, Glendale developed its own "downtown" where residents obtained the goods and services they needed. It was also where local farmers shipped the fruits, vegetables, and livestock they raised to national markets. Glendale blossomed . . . — Map (db m30474) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale High School Auditorium
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Glendale High School Auditorium 1939 — Map (db m30481) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale Townsite — Catlin Court Historic District
National Register of Historic Places Listed June 9, 1992 United States Department of the Interior. Catlin Court was one of Glendale's early fashionable neighborhoods where mayors, merchants, doctors, ministers, builders and . . . — Map (db m30477) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale Woman's Club Clubhouse — Built 1913
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed July 7, 1989 In 1901, a small group of pioneer women organized the Self Culture Club of Glendale with the . . . — Map (db m30478) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale's Towering Flagstaff
In 1916, during World War I, patriotism was running high in our country and in the little town of Glendale. The citizens of Glendale were looking for a way to express their patriotism. Under the guidance of Mayor A. W. Bennett and town engineer, . . . — Map (db m30473) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Hine Building — 5757 West Glendale Avenue — Built 1913 – Addition 1919
Mrs. Alice S. Hine, an agent for the Phoenix Title and Trust Company, hired a contractor by the name of Home Builders Company to build the two-story masonry structure in 1913. In 1919, Mrs. Hine added a substantial addition to the building along . . . — Map (db m30435) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Humphrey and Davidson Building — 5819 West Glendale Avenue — Built 1895
Brethren businessmen S. Humphrey and A. Davidson, the largest agricultural shipping agents in the area, built this single-story brick commercial building to house their dry goods business. This building shifted Glendale's commercial focus from the . . . — Map (db m30437) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Irrigation — at Sahuaro Ranch...
The water for Sahuaro Ranch came by gravity flow from the Arizona Canal, located about two miles to the north. It was carried from the canal by a ditch on 59th Avenue known as Lateral 18 and then flowed onto the ranch through smaller ditches such . . . — Map (db m40706) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Main House and Guest House — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
The large house to the right, now known as the Main House, was the home of the superintendent who managed Sahuaro Ranch for its owner, William Bartlett. The oldest section, on the right, was built in 1891 as an office. In 1895 it was expanded and . . . — Map (db m40622) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Manistee Ranch
National Register of Historic Places Listed April 9, 1998 United Stated Department of the Interior Manistee Ranch a treasured Glendale landmark and was the long-time home of Louis M. Sands, a pioneer of modern Arizona cattle . . . — Map (db m30500) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Methodist Episcopal Church of Glendale Sanctuary — Built 1920 -1928 — Dedicated February 3, 1929
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed January 11, 2006 The First United Methodist Church of Glendale was originally chartered as the Methodist . . . — Map (db m30475) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Morcomb's Service Station and House — Built 1930 and 1936
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed April 6, 2006 Ed and Bessie Morcomb and their son Den acquired this property in 1935, as an 18-hole . . . — Map (db m30495) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Murphy Park — Established 1909
Originally known as "The Park" or "City Park," Murphy Park has always been the center of downtown Glendale. The park's namesake, W. J. Murphy, established Glendale in 1892 and donated the park to the town in 1909. Residents protected the park as a . . . — Map (db m30432) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Orchards — at Sahuaro Ranch
The most important crops in the early years of Sahuaro Ranch were fruits and nuts. These commanded high prices, which meant they could profitably be raised here and sold to buyers across the country despite the high cost of shipping from such a . . . — Map (db m40705) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Robert W. Cole Building — 7003 North 58th Avenue — Built 1919
Robert W. Cole bought three lots on the east side of the park in 1919. He hired J. C. Howell, a local architect to design the two-story building, and Robert Fultz was the builder. Construction started in June of 1919, and finished in September of . . . — Map (db m30434) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Sahuaro Ranch
National Register of Historic Places Listed March 7, 1980 United States Department of the Interior Sahuaro Ranch was one of the first farms in the Glendale area and a reminder of Glendale’s agricultural beginnings. Started by wealthy . . . — Map (db m28088) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Sahuaro Ranch Residence
"The residence on the Ranch is not a characteristic Arizona farm houses, as it contains thirteen bedrooms, eight of which are equipped with baths. The house rambles over considerable territory and, in the summer, the lawn is a wonder of . . . — Map (db m40636) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Sine Brothers Hardware Building — 6329 North 58th Drive — Built 1912
Floyd Holmes Sine came to Arizona in 1897. Sine is considered to be the father of Glendale's city water system. When he bought this site in 1910, it was the only public well and water system. He added a storage tank and supply lines to the . . . — Map (db m30440) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Sine Building — 5747 West Glendale Avenue — Built 1926
Floyd Homes Sine, builder of the Sine Brothers Hardware Building on 58th Drive, built this distinctive two-story masonry structure in 1926. The Glendale Furniture Company was the ground floor business, and the second floor was used as meeting space. . . . — Map (db m30436) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Stable / Granary — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Little is known about the history of this building, which started out as a horse stable, but it almost certainly was one of the earliest work buildings to be erected at Sahuaro Ranch. The eastern half, with the vertical wood siding, was built . . . — Map (db m40685) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — The Barnyard — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
The barnyard was the center of activity as Sahuaro Ranch. Horses and mules were stabled, trained, and shoed here. Cattle were brought to the corrals for branding, treatment and shipment. Farm implements and wagons were stored and repaired here. . . . — Map (db m40674) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Water & Power — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
When Sahuaro Ranch was built, and for some years afterward, water and electricity had to be provided by the owners themselves, often at great expense. Drinking water was obtained from a groundwater well located in the back yard of the Main . . . — Map (db m40638) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Welcome to Sahuaro Ranch — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Sahuaro Ranch was established in 1886, when William H. Bartlett filed a claim to 640 acres of public land at this site. Using irrigation water delivered by the Arizona Canal, which reached the Glendale area in early 1885, Barlett and his ranch . . . — Map (db m40656) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Well House — SRP Well House Re-creation — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
This building, which houses a groundwater well pump, is a re-creation of a Salt River Project (SRP) pump house from the 1920s. In the original pump houses, a wooden derrick was erected first and used to drill the well. Once the well was working, an . . . — Map (db m40660) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — William J. Murphy — Founder of Glendale
Born August 23, 1839 – New Harford, New York Died April 17, 1923 – Phoenix, Arizona Buried Greenwood Cemetery W. J. Murphy Murphy came to Arizona from Illinois in 1880, to build a section of the Atlantic and Pacific (Santa Fe) . . . — Map (db m30433) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 1st Lieutenant Ralph Ambrose O’Neill
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes 1st Lieutenant Ralph Ambrose O’Neill 1896 — 1980 Hailing from Nogales AZ, Ralph O’Neill served in the U.S. Army Air Service with the 147th Aero . . . — Map (db m102904) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 3-Inch Mark 33 Deck Gun
The 3-Inch Mark 33 is a twin dual-purpose drive mount on a carriage base ring structure used with selective remote or local control. The Gun is primarily designed for defense against enemy aircraft and was installed on combat ships. Each gun is . . . — Map (db m102917) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — A Tribute to the B-29 Super Fortress "FIFI"
This propeller, one of four, was installed on a B-29 Super Fortress. The B-29 was the largest and deadliest American heavy bomber of WWII. It is the aircraft that effectively ended WWII by delivering atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August . . . — Map (db m49868) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Tuskegee Airmen
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Tuskegee Airmen 1940 — 1949 “Red Tails” The Tuskegee Airmen set the precedent African-Americans could excel in military . . . — Map (db m102913) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP 1942 — 1944 “We live in the wind and sand … and our eyes are on the stars!” The . . . — Map (db m102898) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 532 — Arizona's Honeymoon Trail
For nearly forty years, couples from Arizona settlements left their homes each fall after harvest and traveled 400 miles to St. George, Utah. Winding slowly through desert and steep canyons, crossing barren plateaus, and passing rivers and pools of . . . — Map (db m27552) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Barrett Tillman
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Barrett Tillman Barrett Tillman (born 1948) is an award-winning author who has made significant contributions to aviation history. As a teenaged private . . . — Map (db m102907) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — BGen. Joseph J. Foss
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes BGen. Joseph J. Foss 1915 — 2003 Medal of Honor Brigadier General Joseph J. Foss was awarded the Medal of Honor while flying with Marine Fighting . . . — Map (db m102912) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Captain Ted Elvans Lines (AAF)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Captain Ted Elvans Lines (AAF) 1921 — 2005 Born and raised in Arizona, Ted Lines joined the U.S. Army Air Forces after his graduation from Mesa Union . . . — Map (db m102908) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Colonel Bruce Perry Crandall U.S. Army (Ret.)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Colonel Bruce Perry Crandall U.S. Army (Ret.) 1933 — Colonel Bruce Crandall served two tours in Vietnam as a Army helicopter pilot, leading over 900 . . . — Map (db m102901) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Dr. S. Harry Robertson III
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Dr. S. Harry Robertson III 1934 — Father of Crashworthy Fuel Systems Dr. S. Harry Robertson, a life-long Arizonan, has made unique contributions to . . . — Map (db m102902) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Falcon Field — Mesa, Arizona
This commemorative area was dedicated on May 30, 1991 by her Honor the Mayor of Mesa, Peggy Rubach, in memory of these airmen who gave their lives in the cause of freedom while training at this airfield during World War II. . . . — Map (db m49870) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — General Seth Jefferson McKee, USAF (Ret.)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes General Seth Jefferson McKee, USAF (Ret.) 1916 — During World War II, General Seth McKee commanded the 370th Fighter Group in Europe and achieved . . . — Map (db m102909) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Landmark Restaurant / Mesa Community College
[Upper Marker]: Mormon Church 2nd Alma Chapel meeting house, 1911. Sold, 1954 to Producers Insurance Company. First Campus Mesa Community College, 1963. Converted to a restaurant in 1973. [Lower Marker]: This is the site of . . . — Map (db m49906) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Lt. Frank Luke, Jr.
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. 1897 — 1918 The Arizona Ballon Buster Lieutenant Frank Luke, Jr. became “The Arizona Balloon Buster” of WWI. Flying . . . — Map (db m102899) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Major Frederick E. Ferguson
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Major Frederick E. Ferguson 1939 — Medal of Honor Frederick E. Ferguson gradated from the US Army Warrant Officer flight program in 1957 and was . . . — Map (db m102900) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Major Gen Carl G. Schneider, USAF (Ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Major Gen Carl G. Schneider, USAF (Ret) Carl Schneider enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force in 1946. He graduated from Williams AFB flying the P-51 Mustang. . . . — Map (db m102905) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 169 — Mesa
Early in 1878 a hardy band of Mormon pioneers arrived on this mesa. With a straight edge and a spirit level they proved the feasibility of using the ancient Montezuma Canal to bring life-giving irrigation water from the Salt River to the desert . . . — Map (db m27551) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Mesa Grande
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m49878) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Mesa Pioneer Monument
This monument is dedicated to the founding men, women and children of Mesa whose efforts, with others of all races, religions and cultures, changed a harsh desert land into this vibrant city of today. When the first settlers came in 1877-78, . . . — Map (db m27550) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Mesa Woman's Club House
On March 9, 1917, fifty-three women, inspired by Margaret Wheeler Ross, past president, 1914-1916, of the General Federation of Women's Clubs of Arizona, chartered the "Woman's Club of Mesa". Since 1901, Federated Women's Clubs, an international . . . — Map (db m27554) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — MGen Barry Morris Goldwater, USAFR
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes MGen Barry Morris Goldwater, USAFR 1909 — 1993 Barry Goldwater served in World War II with the U.S. Army Air Force as an instructor and Ferry Command . . . — Map (db m102903) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Per Ardua Ad Astra — No. 4 British Flying Training School
On June 12th, 1982, this plaque was unveiled to commemorate the years 1941 to 1945 when Falcon Field was established as No. 4 British Flying Training School. To this airfield came many air cadets of the British Royal Air Force, British . . . — Map (db m49869) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Prehistoric Irrigation in the Salt River Valley
Approximately 300 B.C. Prehistoric Indians entered the Salt River Valley. They developed an extensive canal system and raised corn, beans, squash, agave and cotton. Over 500 miles of Hohokam canal have been recorded in the Salt River Valley. . . . — Map (db m49877) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Rear Admiral Hugh Dennis Wisely (USN, ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Rear Admiral Hugh Dennis Wisely (USN, ret) Admiral Wisely entered the Naval Aviation Cadet Program in 1961. He flew 350 combat missions with VF-114 over . . . — Map (db m102906) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Rear Admiral Walter Lewis Chatham, USN (Ret)
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Rear Admiral Walter Lewis Chatham, USN (Ret) 1934 — Naval Aviator Rear Admiral “Lew” Chatham, USN (Retired) has approximately 5,000 . . . — Map (db m102910) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Sergei I. Sikorsky
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Sergei I. Sikorsky 1925 — Rotorcraft Pioneer Mr. Sergei Sikorsky learned aviation from the ground up working with his father, Igor. He began . . . — Map (db m102911) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Sirrine House
Joel Sirrine arrived here in 1878 with the 'Mesa Company' of Pioneers. He constructed this house, which is Mesa's best example of Victorian architecture. — Map (db m49905) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Site of Old Fort Utah
An adobe-walled refuge against Apaches Built by the Lehi Pioneers of March 6, 1877 First Mormon colonists in central or southern Ariz. [Left Column]: Daniel W. Jones • Harriet E. Jones • Daniel P. • Wiley C. • Edwin . . . — Map (db m49930) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — The Alhambra Hotel
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m49879) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Peoria — First Presbyterian Church of Peoria — 1899
Pioneers from Peoria, Illinois, settled here in 1886. Others followed, and on April 10, 1892 the Peoria First Presbyterian congregation was chartered. In 1899 parishioners erected this red-brick Gothic Revival church, with arched stained geometric . . . — Map (db m30400) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Peoria — GFWC Peoria Woman's Club
In 1919, this building was constructed as a meeting place for the General Federation of Women's Clubs – Peoria Woman's Club. Originally located at the northwest corner of 83rd Avenue and Washington Street, the Clubhouse was restored and . . . — Map (db m30401) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Peoria — Peoria Central School
An early example of Mission Revival-Style architecture, this two-room masonry school was built in 1906 to accommodate the growing population of Peoria. The main architectural feature is the curvilinear parapet. After the city purchased the building . . . — Map (db m30398) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — 1897 Smurthwaite House
The 1897 Smurthwaite House is an excellent example of Shingle Style Architecture. It is one of fewer than one hundred 19th century buildings of this age left in Phoenix. It was donated to the City of Phoenix Park, Recreation and Library Department . . . — Map (db m39414) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona Confederate Veterans — 1861 1865
Arizona Confederate Veterans 1861 1865 — Map (db m72465) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona Copper Company's Locomotive #2
The Arizona Copper Company of Morenci, Arizona purchased five of these locomotives between 1882 and 1886 to haul ore on the Coronado railroad. The H. K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania manufactured them in 1882. Locomotive #2 . . . — Map (db m93835) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona World War II Memorial — Guns to Salute the Fallen
World War II began for the United States with a surprise attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and ended in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945. The two most striking reminders of these events are the sinking of the USS Arizona and . . . — Map (db m72463) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona’s Liberty Bell Monument
Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Arizona by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational . . . — Map (db m27632) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — 344 — Arizona's Pioneer Women
Before 1875 hundreds of heroic women came to Arizona from the East and South. From this group came Arizona's first schoolteachers and the publisher of the first newspaper. In 1876 a group of pioneer women and their families came from the north, . . . — Map (db m27385) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant Men — Who Gave Their Lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona — During the Attack on Pearl Harbor
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dedicated December 7, 1976 The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona The contributions . . . — Map (db m26425) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's War Heroes
John Henry Pruitt, Congressional Medal of Honor Silvestre S. Herrera, Congressional Medal of Honor Ira Hayes, Hero of Iwo Jima; Navajo Code Talkers — Map (db m92589) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Boras Headframe
The Boras Headframe was the last of the wooden headframes built in the Warren Mining District near Bisbee, Arizona. Erected in 1917, it hoisted over 50,000 tons of copper ores by 1926 when the mine was closed during the Depression. Production . . . — Map (db m93843) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Chambers Transfer & Storage Company Building
The Chambers Transfer & Storage Company is significant in the history of commerce in Phoenix. As the railroads developed, support warehouses were constructed on each side of the railroad tracks. Phoenix is the only location in Arizona where the . . . — Map (db m73076) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Duppa Homestead
Darrell Duppa explored Arizona four years before coming here with Jack Swilling's party, pioneers whose irrigation canal first opened the Salt River Valley to farming in 1868. A well-traveled Englishman and a scholar of the classics, "Lord" Duppa is . . . — Map (db m113927) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Eastlake Park
Peace Eastlake Park has served the inhabitants of Phoenix since the late 1880's. Originally known as Patton's Park, it was developed by the Phoenix Railway Company to serve as a recreational area for patrons of the city's trolley system. The . . . — Map (db m55058) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Eusebio Francisco Kino
(English version) To maintain alive the memory of the pioneer civilizer of the Pimeria and to strengthen the ties of friendship and comprehension between the peoples of both states. Sonora presented this statue to Arizona in August of 1967 being . . . — Map (db m92588) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — F.Q. Story Addition
Land that was to become the Story Neighborhood (bounded by McDowell Road, Roosevelt Street, 7th Avenue, and Grand Avenue) was purchased in 1887 and 1906 by Francis Q. Story, a horticulturist known as the "father of the Sunkist Orange." Serious . . . — Map (db m39413) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Father Albert Braun O.F.M. — Born September 5, 1889 Died March 6, 1983
Father Albert was a young missionary and teacher to the Mescalero Apaches in New Mexico and other tribes in Arizona. Father Braun was an Army chaplain in World War I and World War II receiving the Purple Heart and two Silver Stars for his heroic . . . — Map (db m26830) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Father Edouard Gerard — Founder First Catholic Church in Phoenix, 1881
The first priest ordained in Arizona, Father Edouard Gerard, attended the Catholic people of Phoenix from Florence, Arizona, where he was the pastor of the Church of the Assumption from 1877 to 1885. For many years, Father Gerard was Vicar General . . . — Map (db m27626) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix
The first meetinghouse in Phoenix for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) was built on this site by the three-hundred-member congregation of the Phoenix Ward. At the time, J. Robert Price was bishop. Since their beginning . . . — Map (db m27613) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Hotel San Carlos — 1928
Hotel San Carlos 1928 Has been placed on the Phoenix Historic Property Register and the National Register of Historic Places. [An additional marker is mounted indoors between the elevators:] San Carlos Hotel The . . . — Map (db m27614) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Hunt Bass Hatchery
* USA * Work Program WPA Hunt Bass Hatchery Erected A.D. 1936 Sponsored By Arizona State Game Department O.P. No. 65-2-544 — Map (db m34557) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — In Memory of the Students of this School who Enlisted in the Army and Navy during the World War
Killed in Action Lee Rainbow * Wallace Antone Honor Roll: Charles Laws • Isaac Jese • Oliver Sneed • Wm. T. Moore • Joe McCarthy • Peter Moore • Charles Gougn • Seth Oldman • Harvier Adams • George Bell • Roy Left Hand • . . . — Map (db m27252) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — J. W. Walker/Central Arizona Light & Power Building
The J. W. Walker/Central Arizona Light & Power Building was built in the spring and summer of 1920 by Phoenix businessman and real estate developer J. W. Walker. Designed by prominent early Phoenix architect L. M. Fitzhugh, the Neo-Classical Revival . . . — Map (db m27628) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Jacob Waltz
Jacob Waltz was born in the kingdom of Wurttemberg Germany circa 1810. He immigrated to the USA in 1839 and became a naturalized citizen in 1864. Waltz was prospecting in Arizona and is reputed to have found a gold deposit near the superstition . . . — Map (db m74397) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Jewish War Veterans Memorial
In honor of the Arizonans of the Jewish faith who gave their lives in the service of our country in World War II In Memoriam Sgt. Leno Off April, 1943 • Sgt. Eli Gold - Dec. 29, 1943 • Sgt. Elmer I. Rosner - July 8, 1944 • Lt. Harry . . . — Map (db m27677) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. — 1898 – 1918
[Front of Monument]: The State of Arizona Erects this monument as its tribute to his valor, extraordinary bravery and distinguished service in the World War and gratitude to all her sons who served. 1930 Memorial committee . . . — Map (db m27631) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Maricopa County Courthouse
The Maricopa County Courthouse was originally built in 1928-1929 by both Maricopa County and the City of Phoenix. The County Courthouse portion of the building was designed by a Louisiana architect. Edward F. Neild. The City chose the Phoenix firm . . . — Map (db m73077) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Memorial to Arizona Confederate Troops
Memorial to Arizona Confederate Troops 1861 - 1865 United Daughters of the Confederacy 1961 "A Nation That Forgets its Past has no Future" — Map (db m27400) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Dedicated to The Memory of All The Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country’s Call To Service George W. Bush President of The United States Anthony J. Principi Secretary U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Roger R. Rapp . . . — Map (db m102949) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Navajo Code Talkers — United States Marine Corps - World War II
"Were it not for the Navajos, the Marines would never have taken Iwo Jima" Major Howard Connor, USMC 5th Marine Division Signal Officer In recognition of the Navajo Code Talkers who distinguished themselves in developing a Navajo . . . — Map (db m26823) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Orpheum Theatre — 1929
Has been placed on the Phoenix Property Register and the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m72462) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Papago Park Prisoner Of War Camp
From January, 1944, to March 1946, some 2500 POWs (mostly German Naval personnel) were confined in an isolated complex of barracks and barbed-wire compounds situated north of here along both sides of 64th Street. Twenty-five POWs fled December 23rd . . . — Map (db m87966) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Papago Park's Military History
The military use of Papago Park began in 1909 when the northwest corner of the Park was withdrawn from the public domain for military purposes. This area was used by the 158th Infantry Regiment of the First Arizona Volunteer Infantry (National . . . — Map (db m87962) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Phoenix Newspapers, Inc.
The Arizona Republic is directly descended from the Valley’s first newspaper, the Salt River Herald, first published January 26, 1878. The weekly newspaper became a semi-weekly, then in 1879, a daily titled the Phoenix Herald. Merging . . . — Map (db m126695) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Rehabilitation of the Carnegie Library
Department of Library, Archives and Public Records Board Members: Frank Kelly, Chairman, Speaker of the House • Stan Turley, President of the Senate • John Hays, State Senator • Polly Rosenbaum, State Representative • Sharon Turgeon, . . . — Map (db m27629) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Rosson House
Built in 1895 by Dr. Roland T. Rosson, Army doctor at Fort McDowell, Phoenix physician (1879-1897) and Mayor, this mansion is one of the few surviving examples of late Victorian architecture in Phoenix. It was acquired by the city through the . . . — Map (db m27609) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — S. (Frenchy) Sawyer
At this site in the Spring of 1868 S. (Frenchy) Sawyer Built the first farm dwelling and harvested the first cultivated crop (barley) in the Anglo-American occupation of the Salt River Valley. These same fertile acres had been irrigated . . . — Map (db m30402) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Saint Mary's Basilica
Phoenix's First Catholic Church City of Phoenix Monument Arizona Historical Site National Landmark Mother Church of Phoenix — Map (db m64854) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Santa Fe Freight Depot
The Santa Fe Freight Depot was constructed in 1929 by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad Company.The depot is a unique example of a reinforced concrete structure. Like other buildings on Jackson Street, the freight depot reflects the . . . — Map (db m73075) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — St. Paul's M.E. Church
Enter, Rest and Pray 1879 St. Paul's M.E. Church Globe, Arizona Territory Reconstructed 1968 By Mr. & Mrs. Andrew P. Tell and The Tell Foundation — Map (db m39863) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial
The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial is dedicated to those Arizona men and women who served during the Korean War June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 *** Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial Commissioners MG Donald L. Owens, AZ ANG . . . — Map (db m27350) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Capitol
Completed in 1900 at the cost of approximately $136,000, was designed by James Riley Gordon of San Antonio, Texas, and served as the First Arizona owned seat of government during the late territorial days and its transition to statehood in 1912. The . . . — Map (db m27671) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Carriage House — Circa 1881
Donated by Forest Burgess To the city of Phoenix November, 1976 This carriage house, originally located at 130 East Taylor, was owned by Forest Burgess and is all that remains of the Francis Marion Mognett Ranch which was established in . . . — Map (db m27612) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Evans House
Constructed in 1893 by pioneer physician John M. Evans and his wife, Jennie, this house was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1976 as a notable example of Queen Anne – Style architecture. Acquired in 1981 by the State of . . . — Map (db m27630) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Original Site of the Desert Mission — Beginnings of John C. Lincoln Hospital
Born of the selfless and compassionate services of those individuals who gave medical, spiritual and other assistance to the sick and needy in the Sunnyslope area. After the turn of the century, the Desert Mission grew to be the center of these . . . — Map (db m111478) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Tribute to Navajo Code Talkers
This tribute represents the spirit of the Navajo Code Talkers, a group of more than 400 U.S. Marines who bravely served their country during World War II. Their mission: to utilize the Navajo language in the creation of an unbreakable secret . . . — Map (db m50932) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — U.S.S. Arizona Signal Mast — In Memory of the Crew of the U.S.S. Arizona (BB39)
The upper 26 feet of the mast before you is the top portion of the main mast of the U.S.S. Arizona and is known as the signal mast or "pig-stick". The battleship U.S.S. Arizona (BB 39) was sunk at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The . . . — Map (db m26610) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Unidentified Veterans
. . . — Map (db m102948) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — United States Indian Vocational Training School
Established 1891 This fountain and building erected 1922 Charles H. Burke Commissioner of Indian Affairs. "The Indian will become an asset or a liability as we cultivate or fail to cultivate his body, mind and soul with a view . . . — Map (db m62608) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Veterans Memorial Carillon — National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Amvets National Service Foundation In Partnership With The Unified Arizona Veterans And The Arizona Department Of Veterans Services Dedicate This Carillon As A Living Memorial To American Veterans Who Served Their Country Honorably For . . . — Map (db m102950) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Vietnam Veterans Memorial
In Memory Of The men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces who gallantly fought and sacrificed to defend the freedom of the people of the Republic of Vietnam. — Map (db m92587) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — 1912 Parker Carousel
This carousel was purchased from Wally Scott, Elk River, Minnesota. He had it set up in the loft of his old barn. It was disassembled and moved to Schnepf Farms in 1999. It took three months to refurbish. This carousel is listed on the National . . . — Map (db m94477) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — Engine 1673
The railroad made significant contribution to the support and development of the Queen Creek community. Engine 1673 travelled over 1,000,000 miles of track in Arizona from 1900-1955. The Southern Pacific Mesa to South San Tan spur was established in . . . — Map (db m49866) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — Rittenhouse Elementary School
In 1924 construction of a new schoolhouse began. Classes were being held in an old cook shack that had once been used by muleskinners to clear the land. The school, named after Charles Rittenhouse, would be a three-room, u-shaped building made of . . . — Map (db m32393) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — Water Tower
This historic water tower for Producers Cotton Gin was first erected in 1952 on the corner of Ellsworth and Cloud Roads in Queen Creek. The landmark in Queen Creek was getting ready to be torn down but was quickly moved to Schnepf Farms in 1999 to . . . — Map (db m94479) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Charles Miller — 1862 - 1923
An early Civic Leader of Scottsdale, Charles Miller purchased this property and the 120 acres to the North and West from Scottsdale founder Winfield Scott. He with two others Founded the Scottsdale Light and Power Company, which brought . . . — Map (db m40594) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Chief Washakie — Dave McGary
Chief Washakie was chief of the Shoshones for more than 60 years. He was revered for statesmanship and respected in battle, and he united his people into a significant political and military force. A skilled orator and charismatic figure, who spoke . . . — Map (db m118859) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Frank Lloyd Wright and Arizona
Wright visited Arizona in 1927 when he was asked to consult on the designs for the Arizona Biltmore. In the years following that visit, Wright and draughtsmen spent time at temporary sites in Arizona including a desert camp they constructed near . . . — Map (db m40613) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Merci Train Boxcar — A Gift of Friendship
This boxcar is one of 49 that comprised the French Gratitude Train. Once filled with 50 tons of gifts, the Gratitude Train was a way for the people of France to say “Thank You” to the American people for their help during and after World . . . — Map (db m126700) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Passing the Legacy
The western spirit of adventure is captured in a moment of connection between two Pony Express riders. A legendary American tradition established in 1860 was revived in 1958 by Arizona's Hashknife Pony Express-who have continued to deliver the U.S. . . . — Map (db m49937) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Peoria Train Depot
The Peoria train depot was constructed in 1895 at a cost of $1,455 by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway Company. The wood-frame structure served the agricultural and ranching interests in Peoria and areas west of Phoenix until 1972. The . . . — Map (db m126698) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Permanent Home of the "Beavers" — Historical Landmark
Original site of Scottsdale High School 1923 - 1983 — Map (db m44994) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Scottsdale Grammar School / The Little Red Schoolhouse — 1909
State Plaque: Scottsdale Grammar School Dedicated February 26, 1910 on the 73rd birthday of Scottsdale's founder Chaplain Winfield Scott This building served the people of Scottsdale as School Community Center . . . — Map (db m34173) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — The Spire
This Frank Lloyd Wright designed Spire was originally part of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Arizona State Capitol project from 1957. The Spire is 125 feet in height and was formally illuminated on 28 April 2004. Taliesin Architects. Arnold . . . — Map (db m40619) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Winfield Scott Memorial
Scottsdale's founder, a minister, Civil War hero, member of the Territorial House of Representatives and Chancellor of the University of Arizona who promoted the dusty desert east of Phoenix is honored here by the citizens of Scottsdale for his many . . . — Map (db m49936) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Sentinel — Oatman Massacre Site
Site of Oatman Massacre Feb. 18, 1851 — Map (db m72167) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Sentinel — The Oatman Family
In memory of The Oatman Family Six members of this pioneer family massacred by Indians in March 1851 — Map (db m72168) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — "The Old Church"
Built in 1903 with stone from Tempe Butte and dedicated to Mary, the Mother of Jesus, this church is the oldest in the valley. For decades it was the only Catholic Church in the area and former Pastors include Bishop James Davis of Santa Fe and . . . — Map (db m49909) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Double Butte Cemetery
Tempe's first cemetery, named for the Buttes in the background, was established before 1900. It was located on 80 acres of high ground because lower areas were waterlogged. Members of Tempe's best-known families lie here, along with victims of . . . — Map (db m34556) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Farmer - Goodwin Mansion
Begun in 1885, this adobe house was completed in February 1886 by Hiram Bradford Farmer. Professor Farmer was the first principal and sole instructor of the newly founded Territorial Normal School, now Arizona State University. Unofficially the . . . — Map (db m27560) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — George W. P. Hunt / Arizona's First Governor — Born 1859 Died 1934
[Main Marker]Entombment of George W. P. Hunt Born 1859 Died 1934 Colorful Arizona pioneer and statesman. Member of various territorial legislatures. President, Arizona Constitutional Convention 1910. Elected Arizona's 1st, 2nd, . . . — Map (db m30405) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Hayden House — Constructed 1874
Tempe founder Charles Trumbull Hayden built a house of willow poles on this site in 1871 and erected an adobe home, store, and blacksmith shop during the next two years. He married Sallie Davis in Visalia, California, and brought her here in 1876. . . . — Map (db m27585) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Site of Hayden's Ferry — 1200 Feet Northeast of This Marker
Established in 1871, when the Salt River was a flowing stream and a barrier to travel the ferry was held on course by a wire cable taut across the river. It was an important link in settling the southwest. Built and operated by Charles . . . — Map (db m27584) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Tempe Bakery/Hackett House — Constructed 1888
The construction of these two buildings is associated with the first significant phase of commercial development in Tempe. The bakery complex was owned by William Hilge, a German immigrant, who produced bread in ovens and delivered it in Tempe and . . . — Map (db m34558) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Tempe Hardware Building
Known as the Odd Fellows Hall when it was built in 1898, this building is the oldest surviving three story brick commercial building in Maricopa County. Its 2-story high ballroom, located on the second floor, has hosted several fraternal . . . — Map (db m49913) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — The Niels Petersen House
Niels Petersen, a Danish immigrant, homesteaded 160 acres in Tempe in 1872. He was involved in almost every aspect of area development and was an organizer of the Tempe Methodist Episcopal Church in 1888. This Queen Anne style farm house was . . . — Map (db m27559) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tortilla Flats — The Dutchman’s Inn
Panel 1 Here, Jacob Waltz (The Old Dutchman) Arizona’s most celebrated scoundrel, laid the cornerstone for this here eatery. Waltz was a notorious liar, drunkard and general miscreant who avoided gainful employment with singular dedication. . . . — Map (db m93150) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Everett Bowman — All-Around Champion Cowboy of the World — Years 1935 & 1937
b. July 12, 1899 Hope, NM d. October 25, 1971 Wickenburg, AZ -Known as the cowboy's cowboy -Admired and revered by townsfolk Father and organizer of Turtle Association 1936 which became the Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association -1937 . . . — Map (db m29473) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Garcia School — Built 1905
Has been entered in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Little remains of the old one room schoolhouses built of log, adobe, frame or brick which proliferated across Arizona in . . . — Map (db m29476) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Henry Wickenburg — 1819-1905
Founder of the Vulture Mine and town of Wickenburg Sculptor Clyde Ross Morgan Commission by the Wickenburg Rotary Club — Map (db m29474) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — The Jail Tree
From 1863 to 1890 Outlaws were chained to this tree for lack of a Hoosegow- - Escapes were unknown — Map (db m29475) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — The Old Brick Post Office
The Old Brick Post Office Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m29471) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Vulture Gold Mine
In 1863 Austrian Henry Wickenburg discovered gold, legend has it, while retrieving a vulture he had shot. The vulture mine went on to become one of Arizona's richest gold mines and sparked the development of Arizona and the city of Phoenix. In the . . . — Map (db m40319) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Vulture Mine
Discovered in 1863 by Henry Wickenburg and his Burro To supply the needs of the mines and protecting military camps, the Salt River Valley irrigated agricultural industry was developed. The Vulture Mine produced 10 millions in gold and was the . . . — Map (db m29477) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Wickenburg Massacre
. . . — Map (db m29478) HM

192 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.