Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Marion County Indiana Historical Markers

210 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 10
 
World War I plaque image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, April 20, 2019
World War I plaque
Indiana (Marion County), Beech Grove — Beech Grove Killed In Action Memorial
Dedicated by the war mothers and V.F.W. Post No. 5626 to these men of Beech Grove who gave the last full measure of devotion that freedom did not perish from the earth John E. Anderson James Grayson Jr. John Horn Jr. . . . — Map (db m132866) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Beech Grove — 49.1960.2 — Sarah T. Bolton1814 - 1893
A pioneer poet of Indiana, author of "Paddle Your Own Canoe" and "Indiana," crusader for women's rights, lived here at "Beech Bank" from 1871 to 1893. — Map (db m67185) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 40.2017.3 — “Cannon Ball” Baker
Pioneering motorcyclist and racecar driver Erwin G. Baker (born 1882) moved to Indianapolis circa 1893. He won one of the first motorcycle races at the newly opened Speedway, 1909, and raced in 1922 Indy 500. Baker set numerous speed and distance . . . — Map (db m128028) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — “Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis Has Left the Building”
Former site of the Market Square Arena where on June 26, 1977 Elvis Aaron Presley performed his final concert. A scarf given by Elvis at that concert and words of remembrance from his fans have been encased in this marker so that a future generation . . . — Map (db m538) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 123 South Illinois Street
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132799) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2007.1 — 1907 Indiana Eugenics Law
[Marker Front]: By late 1800s, Indiana authorities believed criminality, mental problems, and pauperism were hereditary. Various laws were enacted based on this belief. In 1907, Governor J. Frank Hanly approved first state eugenics law . . . — Map (db m1829) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.5 — 28th Regiment USCT
Indiana’s only African-American Civil War regiment served as part of the 28th Regiment of U.S. Colored Troops. African-American infantry was authorized in 1863 to help fill federal quota for soldiers. The Reverend Willis Revels was recruiting . . . — Map (db m1845) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 800 North Pennsylvania Street
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132855) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Albert Einstein(March 14, 1879 - April 18, 1955)
Albert Einstein displayed his talent for mathematics as a very young child. When he could not find a teaching job after graduating college, he went to work at the Swiss patent office as a technical examiner, evaluating applications for . . . — Map (db m132849) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — American Legion MallIndiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark
American Legion Mall comprises two city blocks and is the largest of the five-city block plaza. The actual mall is located at the north end of this part of the plaza. The plaza's overall design is reflective of The National Mall in Washington, D.C. . . . — Map (db m132837) HM WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — American Legion MallIndiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark
American Legion Mall comprises two city blocks and is the largest of the five-city block plaza. The actual mall is located at the north end of this part of the plaza. The plaza's overall design is reflective of The National Mall in Washington, D.C. . . . — Map (db m132852) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — American Legion MallIndiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark
American Legion Mall comprises two city blocks and is the largest of the five-city block plaza. The actual mall is located at the north end of this part of the plaza. The plaza's overall design is reflective of The National Mall in Washington, D.C. . . . — Map (db m132857) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — American Legion MallIndiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark
American Legion Mall comprises two city blocks and is the largest of the five-city block plaza. The actual mall is located at the north end of this part of the plaza. The plaza's overall design is reflective of The National Mall in Washington, D.C. . . . — Map (db m132861) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Andrew Carnegie(November 23, 1835 - August 11, 1919)
Although Andrew Carnegie's family lacked material wealth, he grew up among an abundance of cultural and political enlightenment. Largely self-educated, Carnegie loved learning which was encouraged by his family. From modest beginnings as a factory . . . — Map (db m132847) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1960.1 — Anthony Wayne1745-1796
Wayne Township was named for Gen. Anthony Wayne. This hero of the Revolution defeated the Indians at Fallen Timbers, 1794, and opened large areas for settlement by the Treaty of Greene Ville, 1795. — Map (db m567) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1999.2 — Athenaeum
Side one: Built for German societies of Indianapolis including Socialer Turnverein: east wing 1893-1894, west wing 1897-1898. Designed in German Renaissance Revival Style by Indianapolis firm of Vonnegut and Bohn. Sculpted terra cotta and . . . — Map (db m86962) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1996.2 — Bates-Hendricks House
Combines two nineteenth-century architectural styles. Built 1850s-1860 in Italianate Style. Later additions in Second Empire Style. Owners included Hervey Bates, Sr., first Marion County sheriff, Thomas A. Hendricks, U.S. vice president, and John . . . — Map (db m1827) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Benjamin Franklin(January 17, 1706 - April 17, 1790)
Benjamin Franklin was the youngest son of seventeen children of a Boston candle and soap maker. His family could only afford to send him to school for two years so Franklin became a self-educated man. His brilliance as an inventor, writer and . . . — Map (db m132841) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Benjamin HarrisonAugust 20, 1833 March 13, 1901
Lawyer and Publicist. Col. 70th Reg. Ind. Vol. War 1861-1866. Brevetted Brigadier General 1866. U.S. Senator, 1881-1887. President 1889-1893. Statesman, yet friend to truth, of soul sincere, action faithful and in honor clear. — Map (db m93165) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2009.2 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Side One A.M.E. Church traces its origins to founding of Free African Society in Philadelphia, 1787. Circa 1836, Augustus Turner, a barber, and other black settlers organized this Indianapolis congregation to worship freely and support . . . — Map (db m95237) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Blackburn House
Cleo W. Blackburn (1909-1978) earned his degrees at the Butler University School of Religion and Fisk University. Returning to Indianapolis, he became the director of Flanner House, located at West and St. Clair Streets. Flanner House primarily . . . — Map (db m132727) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Blackford House
Isaac N. Blackford (1786-1859) was one of Indiana's first Supreme Court Justices. He moved to Salem, Indiana in 1812 and served as county clerk. Five years later he moved to Indianapolis when he was appointed to the Indiana Supreme Court. In 1824, . . . — Map (db m132722) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Boaz House
Patricia A. Boaz (1922-1993) was an Associate Professor of Chemistry who began her career at IUPUI in 1967. She also served as Associate Dean in the School of Science, Director of the Adult Education Coordinating Center, and as Associate Dean of . . . — Map (db m132718) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Booker T. Washington(April 5, 1856 - November 14, 1915)
Booker Taliaferro Washington was born into slavery and emancipated after the Civil War. He became a teacher, leader of what today is known as Tuskegee University, best-selling author and social activist. From 1890 - 1915, he stood as a dominant . . . — Map (db m132846) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Booth Tarkington
Born the son of an Indianapolis judge on July 29, 1869, novelist and playwright Booth Tarkington achieved a vast following by portraying Midwestern life from the perspective of the emerging American middle class. Although he attended Purdue and . . . — Map (db m132827) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1999.1 — Bowen-Merrill Fire / Indianapolis Fire Department
Side A:Bowen-Merrill FireOn March 17, 1890 the Bowen-Merrill Company stationery and book store at 16-18 West Washington Street caught fire. Eighty-six firemen fought the blaze. The wood framed roof and floors collapsed, dropping many . . . — Map (db m41185) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1963.1 — Brig. General Benjamin Harrison1833-1901
Entered the Union Army as 2nd Lt. of the 70th Indiana Regiment. He insisted on turning raw recruits into disciplined soldiers. He later was United States Senator from Indiana and the twenty-third President of the United States. — Map (db m565) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.1 — Brookville Road
Side one: On December 31, 1821, a 78-mile state road was authorized from the Ohio border to Indianapolis through Brookville, to be built with required citizen labor. Commissioners filed a survey report June 24, 1822 for the Brookville State . . . — Map (db m44713) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.1 — Bulgarian Orthodox Church
Original site of Saint Stephan Bulgarian Orthodox Church in 1915; relocated in 1955 to 1435 North Medford Avenue. Founded by Macedonian and Bulgarian immigrants to fulfill their religious needs and enjoyment of the traditions, customs, and . . . — Map (db m4616) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2006.1 — Calvin Fletcher
Born 1798 in Ludlow, Vermont, Fletcher and his wife Sarah came to this newly-named state capital 1821. They lived here 1839–1855 on a 269-acre farm, Wood Lawn, which encompassed most of today’s Fletcher Place Historic District. He was active . . . — Map (db m1853) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1962.1 — Camp Morton1861–65
Site selected by Lew Wallace as training camp for volunteers on old State Fairgrounds in 1861 and named for Governor Oliver P. Morton. Used as a camp for Confederate prisoners, 1862-65. Col. Richard Owen, Commandant. — Map (db m1855) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Camp Sullivan (Military Park)
Was ceded to State by Congress in 1827. First City Park and site of the first State Fair 1852. Named by Gov. Morton to honor Gen. Jeremiah Sullivan. Marshalling Center during Civil War 1861-1864. — Map (db m4619) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Central Library1917
Listed in the National Register of Hitoric Places, August 28, 1975, by the United States Department of the Interior in cooperation with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology. — Map (db m132854) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2016.3 — Central State Hospital
Side 1 People with mental illness were confined to jails and almshouses, often suffering neglect, before Dr. John Evans and local physicians advocated for their treatment; 1840s state laws established hospital here. In 1848, first patients . . . — Map (db m106448) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Chief Tecumseh
The Shawnee orator, diplomat and warrior was born near present-day Dayton, Ohio, in 1768. Tecumseh strove to bond the scattered Native American peoples into a united opposition to white encroachment upon their ancestral lands. In 1791 he joined . . . — Map (db m132830) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Circle Theatre
Circle Theatre built in 1916 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132766) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1964.1 — Civil War Arsenal 1861 - 1864
Governor Oliver P. Morton established a state arsenal to supply Indiana's troops with ammunition. First located adjacent to the State Capitol, the arsenal was later moved to the present site of Arsenal Technical High School. — Map (db m55548) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Civil War Training CampFirst State Fairgrounds to Camp Sullivan
Military Park began its existence in the 1820s as a “Military Reservation” where the state militia occasionally trained. In 1852 the first Indiana State Fair was held on the grounds, and other state fairs occurred there over the next . . . — Map (db m95385) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Clarke House
Ethel P. Clarke (1874-1970) was Superintendent of Nurses and Director of the Indiana Training School for Nurses from 1915 to 1931. Her legacy to the school and to the nursing profession included her visionary support of the 6 nursing students who . . . — Map (db m132734) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Coleman Hall
The William H. Coleman Hospital for Women built in 1927, was the first hospital in Indiana built specifically for gynecology and obstetrics. Architect Robert Frost Daggett designed the building, which was funded by William H. and Sallie E. Coleman . . . — Map (db m132707) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Confederate Mound
. . . — Map (db m82239) HM WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.1 — Crispus Attucks High School
Built 1927 to serve as the only public high school for Indianapolis’ black population. Integrated 1970 under court-ordered desegregation. Converted to junior high, 1986. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1989. Named for patriot of . . . — Map (db m1847) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1976.2 — Crown Hill
Crown Hill Cemetery, founded in 1863, is the fourth largest cemetery in America. The history of Indiana and the United States is reflected in its monuments. President Benjamin Harrison, Vice-Presidents Charles Fairbanks, Thomas Hendricks, and Thomas . . . — Map (db m81439) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — D. P. Erwin & Company Building1890
D. P. Erwin & Company, established in 1884, was one of the largest wholesale dry goods companies in Indianapolis during the 1890s. This building was built as an addition to the D. P. Erwin & Company Building (1889-90) at 206-124 S. Meridian Street. . . . — Map (db m132804) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Deschler Building
Deschler Building 1907 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132797) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Eli Lilly and Company
. . . — Map (db m132795) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Emerson Hall
Emerson Hall, originally known as the Medical School Building, was the first medical classroom building constructed on the Indiana University Medical Center campus. It replaced outdated facilities at 102 N. Senate Avenue, and integrated academic . . . — Map (db m132711) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Ernest "Ernie" Pyle
Pyle was born August 3, 1900, near Dana, Ind. After studying journalism at Indiana University. Pyle worked as a newspaper reporter with the LaPorte Herald. He later wrote a daily aviation column for the Washington Daily News. In 1935, he became a . . . — Map (db m132823) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Fallen Deputy Memorial
Since 1822, the Deputies of the Marion County Sheriff's Office have provided the highest measure of public safety to the people of this great County. The tradition continues today only because these outstanding men and women in uniform . . . — Map (db m128013) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Federal FieldBaseball Grounds for the Indianapolis Hoosiers and the Federal League Pennant 1913 and 1914
One of the best baseball parks ever erected in Indiana is the unanimous verdict. A record was made in erecting the grandstand. In just eleven days from the hour of excavating for the steel framework the grandstand was under roof and the seats . . . — Map (db m132749) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — First Home of The Children’s Museum
June 12th, 1925 "The committee on location of the Children's Museum reported that the building on the Propylaeum grounds now occupied by The Little Theater Society could be secured..." . . . — Map (db m127642) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — First Indiana State Meeting of the Christian Churches
First Indiana State Meeting of the Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ) was held in Central Christian Church. Then on the South Side of Kentucky Avenue between Capitol and Senate Avenues, June 7-11, 1839This marker dedicated at the 125th . . . — Map (db m4631) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2017.4 — First Lady Caroline HarrisonFirst President General NSDAR
Caroline Scott Harrison (1832–1892), wife of President Benjamin Harrison, advocated for the arts and worked to expand women’s influence outside the home. She was active in charity work in Indiana and Washington, D.C., including 30 years on the . . . — Map (db m127835) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1983.1 — First Presbyterian Church of Southport"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations ...." (Matthew 28:19)
In recognition of its 150th year as a worshipping congregation, this sign marks the original location of the First Presbyterian Church of Southport, established March 30, 1833. Originally known as New Providence, the founding congregation met at . . . — Map (db m67187) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1976.1 — Former U.S. Arsenal
Established by an Act of Congress in 1862, this arsenal furnished munitions for U.S. Forces until 1903. It became the home of Arsenal Technical High School in 1912. — Map (db m81441) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Fox House
Lillian Thomas Fox (1866-1917) was Indianapolis' first African-American female journalist and an outspoken member of the African-American community. She was an assistant editor for the local African-American newspaper, the Indianapolis Freeman in . . . — Map (db m132738) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Francis Marion, 1732-1795
Marion County was named for this Revolutionary General and hero, entering military service in 1775, he made an invaluable contribution to the American cause as commander of South Carolina partisans in the later years of the war. His skill and daring . . . — Map (db m132869) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Franklin & Eleanor Roosevelt(FDR: January 30, 1882 - April 12, 1945 | AER: October 11, 1884 - November 1, 1962)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) and Anna Eleanor Roosevelt (AER) were one of the first power couples in American politics. FDR's sweeping vision helped rescue the United States from the worst economic depression in its history and led the country . . . — Map (db m132850) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — From Dirt & Gravel to Granite & SteelThe Wholesale District
Street Railway Indianapolis' first street railway opened in 1864 and the system expanded with the growth of the city over the next several decades. The early streetcars were drawn by mules or horses until the system was electrified between . . . — Map (db m132829) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Garrett House
William "Bill" Garrett (1929-1974) was on the Shelbyville, IN High School basketball team when they won the 1947 state championship and was named Indiana's Mr. Basketball. He attended IUB 1947-1951; was the first African-American basketball player . . . — Map (db m132728) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — General George Rogers Clark
General George Rogers Clark Conqueror of the country Northwest of the River Ohio from the British 1778-9 — Map (db m132787) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1998.3 — German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens
(Front Side) Many of Indiana's German immigrants settled in southwestern Marion County during the mid-1800s and began greenhouses and truck gardens on Bluff Road; area grew to major boundaries of Harding, Raymond, Madison, and Banta . . . — Map (db m67188) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2017.2 — German Newspapers’ Demise
German-language newspapers thrived as Germans became Indiana’s largest immigrant population by 1850. The Täglicher Telegraph und Tribüne, located near here, was among over 175 German-language newspapers published in Indiana, . . . — Map (db m128027) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Glencoe Building
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132858) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2003.2 — Greek Orthodox Church
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church of Indianapolis was located here at 231 North West Street from 1919-1959. The Church, incorporated 1910, now located at 4011 North Pennsylvania Street, has also preserved customs and language of extensive Greek . . . — Map (db m4614) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Greenlawn CemeteryBurial Ground to Pioneers, Confederate P.O.W.s and Alexander Ralston — Indianapolis Revealed —
Aegidius Nactner, Hanna Hornaday, Daniel Crosby Lane, and Phillip Kraus were among the early Indianapolis citizens buried at Greenlawn Cemetery founded by a citizens committee on a beautifully wooded high ground overlooking the White River in 1822. . . . — Map (db m132747) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Griffith Block1872
Built in 1872 for the heirs of Humphrey Griffith – the city’s first watch and clock maker – the Griffith Block stood for 128 years at 36-38 West Washington Street, the northwest corner of West Washington and Bird Streets. This commercial . . . — Map (db m86965) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Hardrick House
John Wesley Hardrick (1891-1968) was educated in Indianapolis and attended Harriet Beecher Stowe Public School, Manual High School, and the Herron School of Art, where he studied under Otto Stark. Best known as a portrait painter, in 1928 Hardrick . . . — Map (db m132733) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Here in 1867
Here in 1867 Dr. John Stough Bobbs performed the first successful removal of gall stones in a man — Map (db m132796) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Here, Abraham Lincoln Said
Here, Feb 11, 1861, Abraham Lincoln, on his way to Washington to assume the Presidency, in an address said “I appeal to you to constantly bear in mind that not with politicians, not with presidents, not with office-seekers, but with you is the . . . — Map (db m3809) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Hibben, Hollweg & Company Building1912
This building (1911-12) was designed by Vonnegut & Bohn for the oldest and largest dry goods firm in the Wholesale District. Established in 1867, Hibben, Hollweg & Company carried a wide range of foreign and domestic dry good and notions . . . — Map (db m132813) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Hine Street
Dr. Maynard K. Hine (1907-1996) was Dean of the IU School of Dentistry from 1945 to 1968, transforming the school into one of the world's premier dental educational institutions. Dr. Hine devoted 52 years of his life to Indiana University, the . . . — Map (db m132712) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Hinkle FieldhouseButler University
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This building possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m82674) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Historic Ransom Place
Ransom Place, established in 1887, was named after Freeman B. Ransom, prominent attorney, civic activist, and business leader in the Indianapolis African-American community. Ransom Place was the first African-American neighborhood in Indiana to be . . . — Map (db m127961) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2000.1 — Holy Rosary - Danish Church Historic District
Platted 1854; now bounded by South East Street, Virginia Avenue, and interstates 65/70. Early residents were Germans, Irish, Scots, and Welsh. Danes resided in area circa 1870–1890. By 1910, ninety percent of area residents were Italian . . . — Map (db m1839) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Home of Benjamin Harrison
Home of Benjamin Harrison 23rd President of the United States Born August 20, 1833 Died March 13, 1901 Indiana's Own Citizen In command of the 70th . . . — Map (db m132870) HM WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1966.1 — Home of Charles Warren Fairbanks
May 11, 1852 – June 4, 1918. Prominent lawyer of Indianapolis; Keynote convention speaker, 1896; United States Senator, 1897-1905; Vice-President of the United States, 1905-1909; and Vice-Presidential candidate in 1916. — Map (db m1849) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Hotel Severin1913
The Hotel Severin (1912-13), designed by Vonnegut & Bohn, was one of Indianapolis' premier hotels in the early twentieth century. Among the hotel's investors was Carl S. Fisher, founder of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, promoter of the Lincoln . . . — Map (db m132803) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — In Honor of Arthur St. ClairBorn in Scotland 1754 — Died in Pennsylvania 1818 —
President of the Continental Congress which framed the Ordnance of 1787 Governor of the Territory Northwest of the River Ohio 1788 - 1802 Under his control were laid the broad foundations of the future Commonwealths of Ohio · . . . — Map (db m132853) HM WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Independent Turnverein
This property Independent Turnverein has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132865) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1994.2 — Indiana Avenue
African Americans, by the 1890s, had established a vibrant social, commercial, and economic community along Indiana Avenue. Black entertainers, entrepreneurs, politicians, and working people developed the Avenue into a thriving, widely-known . . . — Map (db m95233) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1997.1 — Indiana Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs
Organized 1904 by Lillian Thomas Fox with 14 clubs. Affiliated with National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs, founded 1896. Objectives include improvement of education, health, living standards, inter-racial understanding. Clubhouse at 2034 N. . . . — Map (db m1828) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1994.1 — Indiana School for the Blind
Established 1847 by the General Assembly to provide education for Indiana's blind children. School on downtown site, 1848-1930. Relocated 1930 to present site on North College Avenue. Provides services to blind and visually impaired school-age . . . — Map (db m81444) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana State House
When Alexander Ralston and Elias Fordham laid out the original Mile Square Plan for Indianapolis, they set aside Square 53 for a “State House” two blocks west of what is now Monument Circle. In 1835 a first state house was completed on . . . — Map (db m95384) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana Vietnam and Korean Wars Memorial
In Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives August 5, 1950 Hi Folks, Things are going smooth here today and it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they stayed that way. Your loving son, Jim (James W. Farmer) Killed in . . . — Map (db m132839) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana World War II Memorial
A World at War History records that World War II began in earnest on September 1, 1939, when German troops invaded Poland. Treaty allies Great Britain and France declared war on Germany. Italy, already branded an aggressor for its campaign . . . — Map (db m132860) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana World War MemorialIndiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark
The Indiana World War Memorial building was modeled after the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the seven wonders of the world. This known jewel of the Indiana War Memorial Plaza was designed to house the magnificent Hoosier valor and sacrifices . . . — Map (db m132834) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana World War MemorialIndiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark
The Indiana World War Memorial building was modeled after the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the seven wonders of the world. This known jewel of the Indiana War Memorial Plaza was designed to house the magnificent Hoosier valor and sacrifices . . . — Map (db m132864) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indianapolis - City of Indiana
In an act of January 6, 1821, the Indiana General Assembly, then meeting at Corydon, named the new capital of the state "Indianapolis." Jeremiah Sullivan, later an eminent Hoosier jurist, acting in cooperation with Samuel Merrill and with the . . . — Map (db m132868) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1975.2 — Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Constructed in 1909, the Speedway has contributed significantly to the advancement of automotive technology and development of safety devices. It is unchallenged as the world's oldest continuously operated race course and the site of the largest . . . — Map (db m228) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49-2008-4 — Indianapolis Propylaeum
Led by suffragist and educator, May Wright Sewall, the Indianapolis Propylaeum incorporated as an association in 1888 to provide educational opportunities and a meeting place for cultural and civic clubs. In 1891, the association opened its . . . — Map (db m127563) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2013.2 — Indianapolis Times
Side One The Indianapolis Times (originally published as the Sun in 1888) moved to this site in 1924. In the 1920s, it led a crusade against the Ku Klux Klan, exposing the Klan's influence in Indiana politics and spurring . . . — Map (db m95234) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana's Main StreetHistoric National Road — The Road That Built The Nation —
You are standing on Washington Street—the route of the Historic National Road in Indiana. In the early 19th century, this broad street had no sidewalks and was lined with log buildings and frame taverns that crowded near the newly constructed . . . — Map (db m132794) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Indiana's MazziniLouis Y. Mazzini
Serologist, researcher, humanitarian, he was given the name "Indiana's Mazzini" by Dr. Thurman B. Rice, Indiana State Board of Health Commissioner during World War II, for hid development of an inexpensive rapid sensitive and dependable slide test . . . — Map (db m132755) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — International House
The IUPUI International House was founded in 1991 as a cross-cultural living-learning community dedicated to international understanding. It brings together students from many different countries--including the United States--to live alongside each . . . — Map (db m132731) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2011.1 — Isaac Blackford
Front Born 1786 in New Jersey; admitted to the bar 1810. Residing in Vincennes, Indiana Territory in 1815; later elected Speaker of the first state House of Representatives. In September 1817, Governor Jennings appointed Blackford to Indiana . . . — Map (db m60668) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — J. F. Darmody Company Building1911
The J. F. Darmody Company was a candy maker and wholesaler in the Wholesale District. The building stood at 25-27 West Maryland Street on the southwest corner of Maryland and Bird Streets from 1905 to 1990. Originally only three stories tall, the . . . — Map (db m132800) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — J.L. "Wes" Montgomery
Born in Indianapolis on March 6, 1923, Wes Montgomery was part of a musical family and first performed in local clubs and regional jazz venues. He and his brothers, Buddy and Monk, were a popular musical trio. Wes Montgomery eventually became . . . — Map (db m132825) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49-2016-1 — James Overall
Overall, a free African American, sold his properties in Corydon, moved with his family to Indianapolis by 1830, and bought land near here 1832. He became a leader in small black community and played active role in growth of AME Church. Overall’s . . . — Map (db m127962) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — James Whitcomb
James Whitcomb Governor of Indiana Mexican War Period 1846-1847 — Map (db m132788) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2018.1 — James Whitcomb Riley Home
“Hoosier Poet” James Whitcomb Riley (1849-1916) gained widespread fame performing across the U.S. from 1881-1903 and for poems written in rustic Hoosier dialect, such as “Little Orphant Annie.” He lived in this house, owned . . . — Map (db m127999) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2006.2 — John Freeman
In 1844, John Freeman, a free black, purchased land in Indianapolis. By 1853, he owned land in this area worth $6,000. In June 1853, a slaveholder claimed Freeman was his runaway slave. Freeman spent nine weeks in jail; he hired lawyers; claim was . . . — Map (db m1833) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.2 — John Muir in Indianapolis
Side one Born 1838 in Dunbar, Scotland, Muir moved to the U.S. with his family, settling in Wisconsin 1849. As a youth, he became interested in nature and mechanical inventions. He attended the University of Wisconsin and was consumed . . . — Map (db m46133) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — John W. Murphy Building1911
The John W. Murphy Building (1910-11) was designed by Samuel H. Brubaker & Company, also the architects of the Century Building (1901) at 36 S. Pennsylvania Street. Originally occupied by several small wholesale and manufacturing firms, the Murphy . . . — Map (db m132820) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Jonas Salk(October 28, 1914 - June 23, 1995)
Jonas Salk was one of three sons born to Russian immigrants in New York City. Salk was the first person in his family to graduate from college and medical school. Salk spent most of his career as a microbiologist. His most noteworthy achievement was . . . — Map (db m132851) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Jones Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church Site
Jones Tabernacle African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, the fourth oldest African American church in Indianapolis, ministered to this neighborhood for almost a century. Organized in 1872, the church was named in honor of the Right Reverend . . . — Map (db m132757) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.2 — Joseph W. Summers Memorial Bridge
Built in 1917, this Neo-Classical, reinforced concrete arch bridge was designed by nationally prominent landscape architect, George Kessler. In 1991 the bridge was named in honor of State Representative Joseph Summers, who served with distinction as . . . — Map (db m1854) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.3 — Joseph W. Summers Memorial Bridge
Built in 1917, this Neo-Classical, reinforced concrete arch bridge was designed by nationally prominent landscape architect, George Kessler. In 1991 the bridge was named in honor of State Representative Joseph Summers, who served with distinction as . . . — Map (db m127443) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — L. S. Ayres & Company Department Store Building1905
When constructed in 1905, the Ayres Building was the first modern, fireproof department store in the city. Located at 1 West Washington Street and designed by the local architectural firm of Vonnegut & Bohn, the store was enlarged in 1914, 1928, and . . . — Map (db m132776) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Lacy Building
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132767) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Lew Wallace
The son of Indiana's sixth governor, Lew Wallace was a man of boundless ambition and restless spirit. Born April 10, 1827, in Brookville, Ind., Wallace was a lawyer, soldier, politician and author. A Mexican War veteran, he led the 11th Indiana . . . — Map (db m132824) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1961.2 — Lincoln to the Citizens of Indiana
“. . . it is your business . . . if the Union of these States, and the liberties of this people, shall be lost. . . . It is your business to rise up and preserve the Union. . . .” From speech by President-elect Abraham Lincoln . . . — Map (db m564) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 40.2017.1 — Little Sisters of the Poor
The Little Sisters of the Poor, a Catholic religious order devoted to caring for the elderly poor, arrived in the U.S. in 1868 and quickly expanded nationally. At a time when the elderly were often ignored and unseen, the Little Sisters of . . . — Map (db m127992) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1998.2 — Lockerbie Square
This historic neighborhood was originally platted in 1847 and 1850. Its name was derived from Lockerbie Street, which was named after George M. Lockerbie, an early Indianapolis resident. James Whitcomb Riley, who resided on Lockerbie Street . . . — Map (db m1826) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1990.1 — Macedonian Tribune
Original location of the Macedonian Tribune, 20 South West Street, from 1927-1949. Founded by immigrants from Macedonia as the voice of the Macedonian Patriotic Organization, the paper continues to be published in Fort Wayne, Indiana. — Map (db m566) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Madame C.J. Walker
Born Sarah Breedlove on December 23, 1867, on the same Delta, Louisiana, plantation where her parents had been slaves until the Civil War, Walker was a businesswoman, social activist and philanthropist. After marrying and moving to St. Louis she . . . — Map (db m132814) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Madame C.J. Walker Timeline
1867 Born Sarah Breedlove on December 23 in Delta, Louisiana 1882 Moves to Vicksburg, Mississippi with siser, Louvenia 1882 Marries Moses McWilliams 1885 Gives birth to daughter, Lelia 1887 Widowed when McWilliams . . . — Map (db m132762) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Manufacturing for Transportation
Parry Manufacturing Company (Buggies & Wagons: 1884-1905) Overland & Parry Automobiles (1905-1917) Martin-Parry Company (Custom Truck Bodies: 1919-1930) General Motors Corporation (Chevrolet Truck Bodies: 1930-1022) and the . . . — Map (db m132746) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.3 — Marion County Girl Scouts
Side A: In 1917, Anna Marie Ridge founded in Irvington the first troop in Marion County; it was registered in July as Indianapolis Troop 1 by Girl Scout, Incorporated. In 1937, Troop 1 was meeting here at Irvington Presbyterian Church. . . . — Map (db m106444) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Mark Twain(November 30, 1835 - April 21, 1910)
Samuel Langhorne Clemens was the sixth of seven chilrden of a merchant and his wife. He spent his youth in Missouri, then a slave state. After a career as a printer and steamboat pilot, he became a journalist, travel writer, humorist and satirist. . . . — Map (db m132843) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1999.3 — Market Street Temple
Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation (Reform) founded 1856 as state's fourth Jewish congregation. Its temple, first in the city, built here 1865-1868 to serve members in area's German Jewish neighborhood. As membership grew and moved northward, . . . — Map (db m537) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2009.3 — Marshall "Major" Taylor
(side 1) Born in Indianapolis, 1878, Taylor moved to Massachusetts, 1895, to pursue cycling career. In 1896, he set one-mile record at Capital City Track located here. He won his first professional race December 1896 and quickly . . . — Map (db m81445) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Martin Luther King Jr.(January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968)
The son of a Baptist minister, Martin Luther King Jr. was the second of three children. In 1939, he sang with his church choir at the premiere of Gone with the Wind. His non-violent leadership for civil rights and racial equality transformed the . . . — Map (db m132771) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Mary Cable/School No. 4 Site
From 1867 to 1980 public elementary School 4 occupied this site, providing education for neighborhood children. Starting in 1922, with school segregation, School 4 served African American children. African American educator and reformer Mary E. . . . — Map (db m132760) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — May Wright Sewell
Born in Wisconsin, May Wright Sewall earned bachelor's and master's degrees from North Western Female College in Illinois. In the early 1870s, she moved with her first husband to Franklin, Ind., where she became a high school principal. He died . . . — Map (db m132828) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — McCormick Cabin Site
Here stood the cabin of John McCormick one of the first settlers in central Indiana. The commissioners appointed by the legislature to select a site for the permanent seat of government of the state of . . . — Map (db m81863) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — McCormick House
John W. McCormick (1791-1825) was one of the first European-American pioneers of Indianapolis, settling near the eastern end of the former Washington Street Bridge in 1820. He built one of the first taverns in the area. In June of 1820, the tavern . . . — Map (db m132743) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — McKee Building1889
This building (1888-89) was designed by Robert Platt Daggett & Company, architects for the McKee Shoe Company, wholesale boot and shoe dealers. The Havens & Geddes Company, a large dry good wholesaler expanded into the building in 1911. The Meridian . . . — Map (db m132805) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Merchants National Bank Building
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132791) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1968.1 — Milestones in Nursing
1859. Completion of the first building of the Indianapolis City Hospital, forerunner of Marion County General Hospital. Founder of this oldest general hospital in Indiana was Livingston Dunlap, M.D. 1861–1865. The first patients were . . . — Map (db m1851) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Mill Race Site
Water power was an important source of energy on the nineteenth-century frontier, and served as a catalyst for economic development in Indianapolis. Settlers built several mills to grind grain and cut wood on Fall Creek, which originally flowed . . . — Map (db m132750) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Montgomery House
John Leslie "Wes" Montgomery (1923-1968) was one of Indianapolis' elite jazz musicians. Montgomery began playing in the bars along Indiana Avenue and was an active improviser. He played in a vast range of styles despite having no formal musical . . . — Map (db m132742) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Morton-Finney House
John Morton-Finney (1889-1998) educator, lawyer, and humanitarian, was born in Kentucky to a former slave. Morton-Finney was a Buffalo Soldier in World War I, a teacher at historically black colleges, and taught Greek, Latin, German, Spanish, and . . . — Map (db m132739) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1991.2 — North Meridian Street Historic District
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1986 "One of America's Great Streets." — Map (db m81448) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1991.1 — North Meridian Street Historic District
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1986. “One of America’s Great Streets.” — Map (db m127442) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.3 — North Western Christian University
Chartered by Indiana General Assembly, 1850. Opened at this site, 1855, on land provided by Ovid Butler. Became Butler University, 1877, after relocation in Irvington. Present location in Fairview Park was made possible through donations by . . . — Map (db m81447) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Oliver P. Morton
Oliver P. Morton "The War Governor" of Indiana War of the Rebellion 1861-1865 — Map (db m132789) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Oliver Perry Morton — The Great War Governor —
Plaque One Born in Wayne Co. Indiana August 4, 1823. Died in Indianapolis November 1, 1877. Aged 54 years, 2month and 25 days. Admitted to the Bar in 1847. Served as Governor of Indiana from January 16, 1861 to March 4, 1867. . . . — Map (db m55573) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Orvis House
Mary Burchard Orvis (1880-1964) came to IU in 1916 to work for the Indianapolis Center of the Extension Division as an executive secretary. She became an assistant professor of journalism and the "officer in charge" of the Center in 1921 holding . . . — Map (db m132744) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2007.2 — Ovid Butler, Sr.
(Front): Born 1801 in New York; moved to Indiana 1817. Admitted to bar 1825; became influential lawyer. Settled in Indianapolis 1836. His opposition to slavery on moral and religious grounds was reflected in his political affiliations and . . . — Map (db m4644) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — President Abraham Lincoln
The 16th President of the United States was born February 12, 1809, near Hodgenville, Ky. In the harsh Kentucky wilderness that the young Abraham Lincoln and his family called home, settlers struggled to eke out a living on hardscrabble farms. . . . — Map (db m132821) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — President Benjamin Harrison
The grandson of President William Henry Harrison, Benjamin Harrison was born Aug. 20, 1833, in North Bend, Ohio. The 23rd President of the United States graduated Miami University (Ohio) before opening a law office in Indianapolis in 1854. Respect . . . — Map (db m132831) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Ransom House
Freeman Briley Ransom (1884-1947) studied theology at Walden University and Law at Columbia University. Moving to Indianapolis in 1911, he boarded with C.J. Walker, became the company's attorney, and eventually served as the Madam Walker Company . . . — Map (db m132740) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1993.1 — Ransom Place Historic District
Area includes subdivisions platted 1865 and 1871; most intact neighborhood associated with city’s African-American population. Numerous prominent citizens lived in area, including attorney and civic leader Freeman B. Ransom (1882-1947). Listed . . . — Map (db m127959) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Richard Jordan GatlingInventor of the Gatling Gun
Born Hertford Co. North Carolina Sept. 12th, 1818. Died New York City. Febr. 26th, 1903. The highest honors that the world can boast are subjects far too low for my desire. The brightest beams of glory are at most incomplete compared to my . . . — Map (db m82207) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2005.1 — Robert F. Kennedy Speech on Death of Martin L. King
Here on the evening of April 4, 1968, Kennedy came to address a large crowd of mostly African Americans in his bid for Democratic Party nomination for president of U.S. Instead, visibly shaken, he gave an impromptu speech about the assassination of . . . — Map (db m236) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Robert W. Long Hospital
In 1910 Indianapolis physician Robert Long and his wife Clara provided the funds for the construction of a hospital to serve the teaching needs of the Indiana University School of Medicine, as well as the health needs of poor patients throughout the . . . — Map (db m132710) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Roberts Park United Methodist Church
Roberts Park United Methodist Church Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m86964) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1998.1 — Romanian Orthodox Church
Here, at 635 W. Market Street, original Saints Constantine and Elena Romanian Orthodox Church was dedicated in 1911; incorporated in 1916. Church has served Romanian community spiritually, culturally, and socially. Congregation built current church . . . — Map (db m95236) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Rubins House
David K. Rubins (1902-1985) artist and educator, came to the IU Herron School of Art in 1935. He taught and directed the sculpture program for 45 years. His works include the statue of Abraham Lincoln at the Indiana State Office Complex, the Lilly . . . — Map (db m132741) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Schnull-Rothschild Building1867
This building at 122 South Meridian Street is one of many constructed for Henry Schnull. This German-born business and civic leader founded and developed the Wholesale District in the 1860s as a center for wholesaling and manufacturing between Union . . . — Map (db m132808) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Scottish Rite Cathedral
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132838) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2016.2 — Senate Avenue YMCA
African-American leaders formed the Young Men’s Prayer Band in 1900. It became a branch of the city YMCA by 1910. Black and white leaders helped raise funds for a new building here, which opened as the Senate Avenue YMCA in 1913. Booker T. . . . — Map (db m127963) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Sewall House
May Wright Sewall (1844-1920) was an educator, cultural leader, and organizer of the woman's suffragette movement in Indianapolis. She formed the Art Association of Indianapolis, which became the John Herron Institute and later became the IU Herron . . . — Map (db m132713) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.4 — Site of Golden Hill Totem Pole
A 30 foot 19th century Alaskan Haida totem stood on this site c.1905-c.1948. The totem, part of Brady Collection in Alaska Pavilion at 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, was given to David M. Parry, industrialist, whose estate once encompassed Golden Hill. — Map (db m81443) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.5 — Site of the Central Canal
Authorized by Indiana's 1836 Internal Improvement Act, Central Canal conceived as link in transportation system connecting Wabash and Erie Canal with Ohio River. State's bankruptcy in 1839 prevented completion of Central Canal. Canal has since . . . — Map (db m95231) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Soldiers and Sailors Monument
To Indiana's Silent Victors War with Mexico 1846 1847 1848 Indiana Regiments No's. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 4585 men Indian and British War 1811-1812 Battle of Tippecanoe Indians defeated Nov. 7, 1811 War of the Revolution Capture of . . . — Map (db m105767) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — South Meridian StreetIndianapolis
This photograph takes you back in time to the height of the Wholesale District of Indianapolis in 1907, when Theodore Roosevelt was president of the United States. The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument — a memorial to Hoosiers who fought in the . . . — Map (db m132807) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — St. Elmo Steak HouseIndianapolis Historic Landmark
Indianapolis Historic Landmark St. Elmo Steak House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132798) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church1871
St. John the Evangelist Parish was established in 1837 and was the first Catholic parish in Marion County. The present church (1867-71) was designed by Diedrich A. Bohlen following French Gothic precedents. The spires, added in 1893, were designed . . . — Map (db m132832) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 40-2007.3 — St. Vincent’s Infirmary
Bishop Francis Silas Chatard began work to open an infirmary here in St. Joseph’s Seminary by 1878. Many local residents and physicians opposed the infirmary, fearing the spread of disease. The Daughters of Charity St. Vincent de Paul in . . . — Map (db m127973) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1946.1 — State Capitol
State capital was moved to Indianapolis, 1825, from Corydon. The capital built on this site in 1835 was razed in 1878 to make way for this State House, completed in 1888. — Map (db m63953) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Stewart House
George P. Stewart (1874-1924) was co-founder of the Indianapolis Recorder newspaper in 1897 and in 1899 became sole owner, editor and publisher until his death in 1924. The Recorder published positive stories acclaiming achievements and . . . — Map (db m132714) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Stout House
Frances Connecticut Stout (1854-1933) was a successful businesswoman who epitomized African-American determination and strength in Indianapolis. In the late 1880s, Frances and her husband Benjamin became the first African-American stand-holders in . . . — Map (db m132715) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Susan B. Anthony(February 15, 1820 - March 13, 1906)
The second of seven children of a Quaker cotton manufacturer and abolitionist, Susan Brownell Anthony learned to read and write at just 3 years old. Her father structured her upbringing around self-discipline, principled beliefs and self-respect. . . . — Map (db m132842) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2015.2 — T.C. Steele Studio and Herron
By 1886, artist T.C. Steele resided here on estate called Tinker or Talbott property. By 1887, he built a studio on the grounds and opened it to the public. He taught classes, exhibited work, and helped advance the quality of Midwestern . . . — Map (db m127463) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Talking Wall
Talking Wall, 2015 Bernard Williams (b. 1964 Chicago, Illinois) steel and paint 144 x 244 x 79 inches Bernard Williams' projects investigate the complexities of American history and culture through painting, . . . — Map (db m132761) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1966.2 — The Central Canal
Part of a statewide canal system begun in the late 1830's. The Central was projected from Peru to Worthington via Marion and Martinsville. Twenty-four miles were completed in this region. Railroads soon replaced the canals. — Map (db m267) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The College Inn Site
The College Inn, a popular restaurant with School of Dentistry students, faculty, and staff was opened on this site in 1931 by School of Medicine faculty member Louis Mazzini. It was so popular with students that one class paid for a sidewalk . . . — Map (db m132752) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The Columbia Club
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132765) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The First Methodist Church in Indianapolis Was Built on this Site
The first Methodist Church in Indianapolis was built on this site In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the beginning of Methodism in this city, this tablet was placed by the bearers of that heritage: the Meridian Street and . . . — Map (db m132801) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 434 — The Home of Caroline Scott HarrisonNational Historic Landmark — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
The home of Caroline Scott Harrison First President General National Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1890-1892 and Benjamin Harrison Twenty Third President of the United States Erected in 1871 Presented by Indiana Daughers of . . . — Map (db m122216) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The House of Crane1867
Edward Beck built this Italianate-style commercial building at 124 South Meridian Street in 1866-67 to house a variety of wholesalers offering liquor, hats, clothes, coffee, hardware, and other merchandise. The House of Crane, a cigar wholesaler, . . . — Map (db m132812) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The Lilly Family
Born in Maryland, Col. Eli Lilly (1838-1898) came to Indiana in the 1850s. He enlisted in the Civil War and organized the 18th Indiana Light Artillery Battery. After the war Lilly opened a pharmaceutical lab in Indianapolis that quickly became a . . . — Map (db m132818) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2009.1 — The Lincoln Funeral Train
Side A Assassinated President Abraham Lincoln's funeral was April 19, 1865 at the White House. The funeral train left for Springfield, Illinois April 21 directed by the military; stops en route allowed mourners to pay homage. In Richmond, . . . — Map (db m95235) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The Malott Building1896
Volney T. Malott, a prosperous nineteenth-century businessman, constructed the Malott Building as an investment property in 1896 to house a variety of wholesale businesses. The south half of the Romanesque Revival-style building with its imposing . . . — Map (db m132809) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The National Road
Cumberland M.D. to Terre Haute Ind. 1806 - 1839 — Map (db m99992) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.5 — The Old Northside
Vibrant historic district was home to many social, political, commercial, and industrial leaders of Indianapolis during the last half of nineteenth through early twentieth centuries. Revitalization of Old Northside is part of national historic . . . — Map (db m4633) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.4 — The Old Northside
Vibrant historic district was home to many social, political, commercial, and industrial leaders of Indianapolis during the last half of nineteenth through early twentieth centuries. Revitalization of Old Northside is part of national historic . . . — Map (db m127503) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The Plague Cemetery
A "burying ground" established near this site in 1821 is believed to have been the first cemetery in what is now Indianapolis. It has been historically referred to as the "plague cemetery" because the first interments were people who died that year . . . — Map (db m132704) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The Rost Jewelry Company Building1948
A 1948 Art Deco facade updated the front of a nineteenth-century commercial building located at 25 North Illinois Street for the Rost Jewelry Company. The facade, which features three clocks, is composed of limestone, polished metal, marble and . . . — Map (db m125520) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — This Tablet Marks the Homestead of Isaac Wilson, Pioneer and Patriot.
After serving throughout the Revolutionary War he freed his slaves and in 1800 moved from Kentucky to Indiana. In 1820 he came to Indianapolis and built one of the first houses on "donation land." In 1822 he moved from the "donation land" to this . . . — Map (db m132706) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Thomas Andrews Hendricks
Plaque 1Vice President of the United States with Democrat President Grover Cleveland, 1885 Born September 7, 1819, near Zanesville, Ohio Died November 25, 1885, Indianapolis, buried at Crown Hill Cemetery Represented Shelby County: Indiana . . . — Map (db m100033) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Thomas Edison(February 11, 1847 - October 18, 1931)
Thomas Alva Edison, the youngest of seven children, did poorly in school because his mind frequently wandered during lessons. After his mother began homeschooling him, Edison began to excel at learning. Untreated ear infections and a childhood bout . . . — Map (db m132845) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1961.3 — Toll House - Michigan Road
Operated by Augusta Gravel Road Co., circa 1866-1892. First major state road, built in the 1830's, from the Ohio River to Lake Michigan. — Map (db m563) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Town of Meridian HillsSherwood Village Neighborhood
The land that eventually became Sherwood Village was first granted to James Bonnell by the U.S. Government in 1822. In 1872, the property was conveyed to Lorenzo Van Scyoc and became part of the Van Scyoc Farm. Although Sherwood Village was . . . — Map (db m132867) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — USS Indianapolis CA-35
Panel 1 Named in honor of our Capitol City, the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis keel was laid on 31 March 1930 and launched on 7 November 1931. She was accepted by the Navy and Commissioned on 15 November 1932. She was 610 feet 4 inches . . . — Map (db m55558) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Vajen's Exchange Block1872
German immigrant and hardware merchant John H. Vajen constructed his commercial building on 124-126 North Pennsylvania Street in 1872. This building featured a three-story, cast-iron facade in the popular Italianate style. It housed retail shops and . . . — Map (db m132811) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Veterans Memorial PlazaObelisk Square — Indiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark —
Originally known as , "Obelisk Square", this park was completed in 1930 and is situated between the American Legion Mall and the Indiana World War Memorial. Its main feature is the Obelisk fountain. This portion of the Plaza was designed originally . . . — Map (db m132833) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Veterans Memorial PlazaObelisk Square — Indiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark —
Originally known as , "Obelisk Square", this park was completed in 1930 and is situated between the American Legion Mall and the Indiana World War Memorial. Its main feature is the Obelisk fountain. This portion of the Plaza was designed originally . . . — Map (db m132836) HM WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Veterans Memorial PlazaObelisk Square — Indiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark —
Originally known as , "Obelisk Square", this park was completed in 1930 and is situated between the American Legion Mall and the Indiana World War Memorial. Its main feature is the Obelisk fountain. This portion of the Plaza was designed originally . . . — Map (db m132862) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Veterans Memorial PlazaObelisk Square — Indiana War Memorial Plaza National Historic Landmark —
Originally known as , "Obelisk Square", this park was completed in 1930 and is situated between the American Legion Mall and the Indiana World War Memorial. Its main feature is the Obelisk fountain. This portion of the Plaza was designed originally . . . — Map (db m132863) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Walker House
Madam C.J. Walker (1867-1919) was one of America's first female African-American millionaires. She was born on a cotton plantation in Louisiana to former slaves and was orphaned by the age of seven. In the 1890's she began to lose her hair and . . . — Map (db m132736) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2011.2 — Washington Park Baseball
Side A Here, May 2, 1920, in the first game of the new Negro National League, the Indianapolis A.B.C.s defeated the Chicago Giants. Indianapolis native Oscar Charleston began his career with the A.B.C.s in 1915. Segregation in professional . . . — Map (db m106445) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Washington St. Historic Buildings
1. Indiana State House 100 N. Capitol Ave. Built: 1878-88 Italian Renaissance style 2. Indiana Theatre 134 W. Washington St. Built: 1927-28 Spanish Baroque style 3. Indianapolis News Building 30 . . . — Map (db m132774) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — West Washington StreetIndianapolis
When the gentleman smoking the pipe glanced at the camera in 1937, he had no idea that people in future generations would be glancing at him and looking past him into Indianapolis history. Perhaps our pipe smoker purchased his suit at one of . . . — Map (db m132775) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Westside World War II Memorial
1946 In the full realization of the ideals for which the men and women served and died in World War II, we the people of the Westside, erect this plaque. In memory of their service we dedicate ourselves to build a new world in our community to the . . . — Map (db m132745) WM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — What Was the Wholesale District?
Located between the busy retail stretch of Washington Street and Union Station, the Wholesale District comprised most of the southern part of downtown Indianapolis at the turn of the twentieth century. This thriving area adjoined Union . . . — Map (db m132819) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2003.1 — Widows and Orphans Friends’ Society
Society created by Indianapolis Benevolent Society 1849 to provide relief for indigent widows and orphans; incorporated 1851 by Indiana General Assembly. Opened its first orphanage on this site 1855. White House Conference in 1909 focused attention . . . — Map (db m1843) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Wilbur and Orville Wright(WW: April 16, 1867 - May 30, 1912 | OW: August 19, 1871 - January 30, 1948)
Wilbur and Orville Wright were two of seven children of a church bishop and his wife and spent part of their childhood in Richmond, Indiana. The first aircraft they saw was a toy helicopter their father brought home from a business trip. After . . . — Map (db m132848) HM

210 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 10
Paid Advertisement