In 1942 the federal government opened Camp Murphy. It was the home of the Southern Signal Corps School during World War II and served as a U.S. Army base for instruction in radar operation in the early course of the war. The post was named in honor . . . — — Map (db m14314) HM
Three miles to the east on September 23, 1696, the British barkentine Reformation foundered off Jupiter Island. The 24 survivors included a party of Quakers bound from Jamaica to Pennsylvania. Leader of the Quakers was Jonathan Dickinson who . . . — — Map (db m14311) HM
When he arrived from New Jersey in the early 1930s, Vincent Natulkiewicz, also known as Vince “Trapper” Nelson found the area still teeming with wildlife. For decades he lived off the land, supplementing his diet of raccoon, gopher . . . — — Map (db m106565) HM
From 1900 until the late 1950s, the Jupiter Indiantown Road connected the communities of Jupiter and Indiantown, giving residents access to resources. Dade County governed the area in 1899, when the new road was cut. In Indiantown about that time, . . . — — Map (db m96931) HM
In 1893, a community of Episcopal worshippers began to emerge in this area. With the property donated by Charles H. and Mary Racey, the congregation established the All Saints' Episcopal Church and All Saints' Cemetery in 1898.
The All Saints' . . . — — Map (db m112175) HM
Mount Elizabeth Mound was constructed approximately 4,000 years ago during the Late Archaic Period by Florida bands who selected this site for a ceremonial shell midden-mound. It was occupied 4,000-800 years ago by ancient peoples who first . . . — — Map (db m106567) HM
This Mediterranean Revival style monument typical of the pre-Depression Florida Boom was designed by Nat C. Hodgdon of Pfeiffer and O'Reilly Architects, constructed by A. L. Doenges and completed on February 20, 1926. The arch was built to celebrate . . . — — Map (db m83286) HM
Mt. Elizabeth and the surrounding property were purchased by explorer William Henry Racey in the late 1850's. In 1891, his son, Charles Racey, built a three-story wood-frame house on the mound for his family and started a pineapple and citrus . . . — — Map (db m117570) HM
On September 16, 1928, a hurricane came ashore near the Jupiter Lighthouse and traveled west across Palm Beach County to Lake Okeechobee. This deadly hurricane destroyed hundreds of buildings and left millions of dollars of property damage. Many of . . . — — Map (db m114784) HM
Sewall's Point, with high fertile hammocks situated between the St. Lucie and Indian rivers, attracted this area's earliest settlers. These pioneers cleared the land, planted pineapples, and citrus, and traveled to Titusville by sailboat for . . . — — Map (db m112170) HM
Dr. William H. Baker and his family settled here in 1880 and named the place Waveland. Their home was the first permanent residence in what is Martin County today, and Waveland was prominent on Florida maps for many years. The section line that . . . — — Map (db m112169) HM
The iron-hulled Italian bark Georges Valentine was built in 1869 at Liverpool, England. She was wrecked here in a storm on October 16, 1904, while bound from Pensacola to Buenos Aires with a load of lumber. Five members of her twelve-man crew . . . — — Map (db m112173) HM
Only one remaining of nine on Florida east coast commissioned in 1875 for the U.S. Life-Saving Service. Keepers provided shelter, food, clothing, and transportation to survivors of shipwrecks and storms at sea. In U.S. Coast Guard Service through WW . . . — — Map (db m112172) HM
Europeans arriving at Hutchinson Island in the 16th century found the island populated by hundreds of Native Americans living in settlements bordering both the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River.
The rich marine environment provided these . . . — — Map (db m106588) HM