Named for Harry Lamar Curtis, mayor of Brady who instigated offer of this field to the United States government during World War II. Born in 1903 in Dallas, H.L. Curtis was educated at the University of Dallas, Southern Methodist University, and . . . — — Map (db m116319) HM
The East Sweden community was settled in the late 1880s by Swedish immigrants who had originally established homes in Williamson County. By 1889 twelve families had relocated here and built homes. Most of the settlers were Lutherans, and they held . . . — — Map (db m116446) HM
Alexander (d. 1896) and Isabella (d. 1898) Mitchell came to this area in 1878 with their children. Alex, a surveyor, farmed and ranched. Daughter Elizabeth Mitchell Bradley, a widow, reared her sons on her parents' homesite and, in 1900, deeded the . . . — — Map (db m90745) HM
Distinguished Ranger, frontier surveyor, Indian fighter, lawman, statesman and military commander.
Born in Tennessee. Followed David Crockett to Texas to fight in War for Independence. Commanded one of the “Twin Sisters” cannon in . . . — — Map (db m116317) HM
On November 21, 1831, James Bowie, Rezin P. Bowie, David Buchanan, Cephas D. Hamm, Matthew Doyle, Jesse Wallace, Thomas McCaslin, Robert Armstrong, James Coryell with two servants, Charles and Gonzales, held at bay for a day and night, 164 Caddos . . . — — Map (db m116226) HM
Created Aug. 27, 1856. One of 128 counties formed from Bexar County that extended from the Rio Grande to the Panhandle, and as far west as El Paso. Named for Texas hero, Ben McCulloch, who fought in Texas Revolution, Indian, Mexican and Civil Wars. . . . — — Map (db m116316) HM
County organized 1876, with Brady as county seat; first courthouse built 1879.
Present courthouse (second and on same site) completed 1900; and Moodie, contractors, for "turn key" construction. Local labor and materials were used as far as . . . — — Map (db m112230) HM
Constructed 1909-1910, this was the second building to serve as the McCulloch County jail. This red brick Romanesque Revival style edifice was built by the Southern Structural Steel Co. of San Antonio. Sheriff T.L. Sansom was the first occupant of . . . — — Map (db m116224) HM
One night in 1866, five men from Richland Springs (about 25 mi. ne) recovered stolen horses from Indians camped near here. A metal arrow hit a Mr. Lafferty, slid halfway around his skull, was cut out with a pocket knife, and Lafferty survived. The . . . — — Map (db m116445) HM
Here was stationed, 1862-1864, Captain W.G. O’Brien’s company of mounted volunteers, a unit of the Frontier Regiment organized to protect the frontier against Indians. The regiment in 1864 became the Forty-Sixth Texas Cavalry in the Confederate Army. — — Map (db m90987) HM
Helped to populate county, 1886 to 1912, settling three areas East Sweden, West Sweden, and Melvin. Most of 95 families who colonized here were farmers, others were carpenters, stone masons, and blacksmiths. They established thriving farm economy . . . — — Map (db m116511) HM
The Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway built the first rail line into Brady in 1903. Eight years later the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad constructed a second line into town. This depot, built in 1911, was designed for passenger use for both . . . — — Map (db m116318) HM
Through this gap in hills called "Brady Mountains" passed the western cattle trail, also known as "Dodge City Trail", "Fort Griffin Trail", or "The Beef Trail". Said to have originated in 1876, this was the last of the old-time Texas cattle trails, . . . — — Map (db m81877) HM
German native Boi Albert Cornils immigrated as a young adult to this area in 1884 and wed another young immigrant, Bertha Lembke. The couple settled on ranchland east of Lohn and reared five children. In 1896, they deeded five acres for a free . . . — — Map (db m91746) HM
(Battleground 1 mi. N. of Marker) Near here in 1874 or 1875, 18 Indians attacked W. B. Brown and two comrades, spooking one horse and capturing bedrolls and grub, but sparing the men, who thankfully escaped. In the 1870s, when they were being . . . — — Map (db m29824) HM
Swedes began settling in the western part of McCulloch County in 1907. A sunday school was begun that year, and the families met for worship in homes. A church congregation was formally organized in 1910 with fifteen charter members. A ladies aid . . . — — Map (db m116227) HM
Five miles northwest is the geographic center of Texas, an imaginary point whose co-ordinates divide the state into four equal areas. In straight-line distance it is 437 miles from the state’s most westerly point on the Rio Grande River above El . . . — — Map (db m116513)
E.E. Willoughby (1853-1935), a cattleman from Tarrant County, moved to Rochelle (then about 1.5 mi. SE) in 1883. He acquired land here in 1886 along the Brady - San Saba Road. In 1889 he donated two acres near this site for the community’s school . . . — — Map (db m116448) HM
J.F. Crew of Ohio purchased land here in 1902 and later moved to McCulloch County and founded the settlement of Rochelle. When the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad built a line from Brownwood to Brady in 1902-03, he was successful in having it . . . — — Map (db m116451) HM
U.S. soldiers, under command of Robert E. Lee, used this site while traveling the nearby Military Road and patroling this area for Indians.
Westbound immigrants also camped here prior to the Civil War.
Here 27 Indians surprised and . . . — — Map (db m116512) HM
Built 1876, by H.A. Chadwick and sons, William and Milam, who constructed other mills in the region. Water was diverted from river by a still-visible, 1300-yard millrace. Originally used to grind wheat and corn; a saw was soon added to provide . . . — — Map (db m125264) HM