Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

McCurtain County Oklahoma Historical Markers

 
Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears Marker image, Touch for more information
By Byron Hooks, October 21, 2009
Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears Marker
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Broken Bow — 203 — Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears
Cut from Washington, Ark., to Fort Towson in 1831 for removal of Choctaws from Miss., became known as Choctaw Trail of Tears after thousands of suffering Indians used it to reach new lands. Road served as major east-west artery for Choctaw Nation . . . — Map (db m24398) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Haworth — 200 — Garland Cemetery
Small cemetery nearby contains graves of Choctaw chief Samuel Garland (1862 – 64) and family members including his mother-in-law, Sophie Pitchlynn. Peter Pitchlynn, son of Sophie and John Pitchlynn, was chief 1864 -- 66. Garland migrated from . . . — Map (db m24400) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Idabel — 704 — Miller Courthouse
To the southwest near Red River stood Miller Courthouse, county seat of Old Miller County, Arkansas Territory 1820-1828. First post office established there Sept. 7, 1824, J. H. Fowler, postmaster. Claiborne Wright, prominent settlement leader, . . . — Map (db m147470) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Idabel — 207 — Shawneetown
Many absentee Shawnee Indians migrated to this region from old Northwest Territory in early 1800’s settled and opened farms. A settlement of over 200 residents in vicinity became known as Shawneetown. Shawnees removed when land ceded to Choctaws in . . . — Map (db m147476) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Ringold — 210 — Alikchi Court Ground
Nearby Alikchi Springs was site of court ground for Apukshunnubbee District, Choctaw Nation, 1838-1906. Justice dispensed here for major crimes committed by Choctaws, including capital punishment. Last legal execution under Choctaw law carried out . . . — Map (db m145581) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Valliant — 196 — Clear Creek Water Mill
Water powered grist mill in operation on Clear Creek early as 1819 by white settlers in old Miller County, Arkansas Territory. New mill built in 1837 by Choctaw Joel Kemp. A later owner, Choctaw John Wilson, replaced crude undershot wheel with . . . — Map (db m24401) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Valliant — 198 — Elliott Academy
Established here in 1869 as Oak Hill Industrial Academy by Presbyterian Board of Missions as boarding school for children of Choctaw Freedmen. Academy succeeded small school begun in 1860 by ex-slave and Presbyterian Minister Charles W. Stewart to . . . — Map (db m24403) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 1, 2020