Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

McDowell County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Historic Carson House 1793 image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, August 19, 2014
Historic Carson House 1793
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — N 35 — Carson House
Served 1843-1845 as the seat of McDowell County government. Home of Col. John Carson and his sons, Jonathan L., Samuel P., William, & Joseph McD. Now a historical museum. — Map (db m77431) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — Carson House"Horrid Blue Coats" — Stoneman's Raid
(preface) On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m77441) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — N 26 — Cathey's Fort
A rendezvous for the North Carolina militia led by General Griffith Rutherford against the Cherokee in 1776, was one mile east. — Map (db m77451) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — N 50 — Daniel Kanipe1853-1926
Survived Battle of Little Bighorn, 1876. A soldier in 7th U.S. cavalry, he witnessed defeat of Geo. A. Custer. Lived here. — Map (db m77429) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — N 4 — Pleasant Gardens
Home of Joseph McDowell (1758-1795), soldier and physician. Officer at the Battle of Kings Mountain. — Map (db m77443) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — Roy Williams
National Championship winning college basketball coach for University of North Carolina and Member of Basketball Hall of Fame. Born in 1950 in Marion General Hospital, which stands one block north. — Map (db m77442) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Nebo — N 41 — Cane Creek
Prelude to the Battle of Kings Mountain. Site of a skirmish on Sept. 12, 1780, between Loyalists and "Overmountain Men" — Map (db m20339) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Old Fort — N-37 — Andrews Geyser
Built ca. 1885 to mark railroad gateway to the Blue Ridge Mts. Restored in 1911 & 1975. Named for A. B. Andrews of Raleigh. Located 2.1 miles north. — Map (db m97673) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Old Fort — Andrews Geyser
This geyser was built in 1912 by George Fisher Baker of New York, as a tribute to his friend Colonel Alexander Boyd Andrews, of Raleigh, North Carolina, and in appreciation for the great public service he rendered in the development and upbuilding . . . — Map (db m98508) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Old Fort — N 31 — Frontier Fort
Early outpost against Indians. Used by Gen. Rutherford in expedition against Cherokee, Sept.,1776. Stood nearby and gave name to this town. — Map (db m39735) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Old Fort — The Old Indian Fort
This marks the site of The Old Fort Built A.D. 1756 The western outpost of the United States and of North Carolina until 1776 from which this town was named — Map (db m39736) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.