Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mendocino County California Historical Markers

 
Navarro Inn on the Navarro River image, Touch for more information
By Alvis Hendley, February 28, 2018
Navarro Inn on the Navarro River
California (Mendocino County), Albion — Captain Fletcher and the Navarro InnNavarro River Redwoods State Park - National Register of Historic Places
Before 1850 Before European settlement, the Pomo peoples occupied much of the North Coast of California. The Navarro River formed the boundary between the Northern and Central Pomo. Navarro Beach was seasonally occupied as a place to . . . — Map (db m116795) HM
California (Mendocino County), Boonville — Boontling: The Lingo of Boonville
Storekeeper, W.W. Boone settled in Southern Anderson Valley among families that brought the Scottish and Midwestern patterns of speech in the mid 1890’s. Young men picked hops, sheared sheep, and displayed marvelous whit, cleverness, and . . . — Map (db m64259) HM
California (Mendocino County), Caspar — History Pivots on a Rock
Our Captain's voice boomed above the roar of the surf. "Heave about! Turn the ship!" With a mighty jolt a rock took our rudder and punched a hole in her hull. The Frolic was sinking and none of us knew how to swim! Captain Faucon, bless . . . — Map (db m96476) HM
California (Mendocino County), Cleone — Harvesting the Shore
For thousands of years, the Cum-a-Lul Pa'Mu (Coastal Pomo) and neighboring Indian tribal groups have set up seasonal camps within a few hundred yards of this beach to gather the sea's valuable food resources. Fishing Pomo caught . . . — Map (db m96677) HM
California (Mendocino County), Cleone — Timber Years
The clatter of lumber and the shouts of longshoremen at Laguna Point began in 1883. Schooners and steamships moored here to take on loads of Mendocino's valuable redwood lumber Laguna Point In 1883, the Laguna Point loading operation . . . — Map (db m96629) HM
California (Mendocino County), Covelo — 674 — Round Valley
The first inhabitants of Round Valley were the Yuki who resided here for thousands of years in harmony with their natural surroundings. In 1854, Europeans settlers entered the valley. In 1856, conflicts between settlers and Yuki escalated and to . . . — Map (db m78169) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Charles Russell JohnsonFounder of Fort Bragg, CA
. . . — Map (db m11085) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Dynamite Shack
The dynamite stored in this little bunker was used to blast the area's first railway tunnel starting in 1892. The tunnel, built by Union Lumber Company, runs through the ridge dividing the Pudding Creek and Noyo River Watersheds. Powder . . . — Map (db m96561) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — 615 — Fort Bragg
Established in this vicinity June 11, 1857 by 1st Lieutenant Horatio Gate Gibson, 3rd Artillery, later Brigadier General, US Army. Named by Gibson in honor of his former company commander, Braxton Bragg, later General, C.S.A. Abandoned in October . . . — Map (db m10585) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Fort Building
The last remaining structure and once the original quartermaster’s storehouse and commissary of Fort Bragg Military Post 1857-1864, then located near Laurel and Redwood Avenues. — Map (db m10586) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Our Past Through Our Trash
The strange and beautiful objects found along this beach started out as trash. Until 1959, this site was Fort Bragg's garbage dump. Years of smoldering fires and salt-water spray melted and twisted old cars, household trash, electric materials, and . . . — Map (db m96556) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Surrounded By Trees
Long ago, young Lucy Cooper became annoyed by the wind that blew her clothing around. She brought sacred acorn meal from her house and offered it to the wind. The wind stopped. Lucy Cooper's Pomo village, called Kah-la-deh-mun, . . . — Map (db m96564) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — The Parrish Family Cemetery
In 1893 David Franklin Parrish, his wife, Sarah Linebough Parrish, six daughters and four sons, “set out for Fort Bragg...to raise potatoes and peas on the bluffs by the ocean.” David had worked with Luther Burbank in Santa Rosa during . . . — Map (db m64773) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — The Weller House
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior [Statement of Significance: 1886; Frame; clapboarding; 2 1/2 stories; modified rectangle; hipped roof with hipped dormers; . . . — Map (db m12025) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Whirring Saws Silenced: A Pictorial History of the Mill Site
You would have heard the buzz of saw blades, the roar of trains and trucks moving logs in and lumber out, the blast of steam from the smoke stack, and the set-your-watch-by-it blow of the lunch whistle. But that's all gone now. The old mill that . . . — Map (db m96562) HM
California (Mendocino County), Laytonville — Stable / The Laytonville Baptist Church
Left panel: The Pinches Stable was located here during the late eighteen-hundreds. During that time horses were the key element for travel and people passing through town boarded them here. Right panel: Laytonville's . . . — Map (db m91801) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — Mendocino Masonic HallSavings Bank of Mendocino County — Established 1903
Erik Albertson, first Worshipful Master of Mendocino Lodge No. 179, Free and Accepted Masons, undertook construction of this Masonic Hall in 1866. Albertson carved "Time and the Maiden," the statue which adorns the roof, out of a single virgin . . . — Map (db m96627) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — 714 — Mendocino Presbyterian Church
This is one of the oldest Protestant churches in continuous use in California. Organized as the Presbyterian Church on November 6, 1859, the building, constructed of redwood, was dedicated on July 5, 1868. — Map (db m10600) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — Point Cabrillo Light Station
The Point Cabrillo Light Station was built in 1908 by the US Lighthouse Service to protect the "Doghole Schooners" that plied the lumber trade between San Francisco and the Redwood Coast. These steam ships and sailing vessels were known for their . . . — Map (db m543) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — Temple Kwan Tai
California State Landmark #927 C.A. 1854 [California Registered Historical Landmark description states: One of the oldest of California's Chinese houses of worship in continuous use, the temple may date back as far as 1854, though its . . . — Map (db m11991) HM
California (Mendocino County), Percy — Mignon "Minnie" Stoddard Lilley
In the woods across the road behind you lies the mausoleum of Minnie Stoddard Lilley, a homesteader, pioneer and teacher of early Mendocino County. From 1904 to 1936 Stoddard taught in a one room schoolhouse in the Andersonia/Percy area. For many . . . — Map (db m102242) HM
California (Mendocino County), Piercy — Confusion HillCalifornia State Point Of Historical Interest
Confusion Hill was officially listed by the California Office of Historic Preservation as a State Point of Historical Interest 1/29/10

Confusion Hill was opened in 1949 by George Hudson. It consisted of a Gift Shop, Snack Bar . . . — Map (db m120663) HM

California (Mendocino County), Point Arena — Point Arena Lighthouse
This site and natural landmark has been a welcome guide to safe navigation for ships along the rugged Mendocino coast since 1870, destroyed by 1906 earthquake, two years later stately tower was erected. — Map (db m64770) HM
California (Mendocino County), Pont Arena — Fifteen Japanese from Yawatahama
(This monument is made up of three plaques. The first plaque is on the front.) This monument is dedicated to the fifteen young men from Yawatahama, Japan who sailed 11,000 kilometers across the Pacific in a 15 meter wooden boat to realize . . . — Map (db m64325) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — 116 & 118 South State Street
This sturdy iron-front building may have been a lesson learned from the April 1906 earthquake. The Dispatch Democrat newspaper reported on August 17, 1906 that a "deep cellar is being dug for a new brick building." Henry Meyer, who had come . . . — Map (db m96482) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Eversole Building
In 1905 J.W. Eversole moved his highly successful furniture and undertaking business in to this new building. The structure was very modern with large plate glass windows, full plumbing and the first concrete foundation in Ukiah. The 2nd floor . . . — Map (db m96481) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Gambrel-Hawn Building
John McGlashan, rancher and businessman, built an ornate two story business house on this corner in 1890. It became the home of the Ukiah Post Office and later the Ukiah Mercantile Exchange. The building was lost in the great fire of 1917. In its . . . — Map (db m96554) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — IOOF Lodge #174
This wonderful example of Italianate style was built in 1882 and expanded in 1906, adding more offices, a dining room, kitchen and bathrooms. The Ukiah chapter of IOOF was formed in 1870 and their building was the grandest structure of its . . . — Map (db m80696) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Ladies of the Night
“To the ladies of the night who plied their trade upon this site.” — Map (db m80695) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Masonic Temple History
This 1924 Beau Art/classical style building is the second building on this site for the Masons. Their original 1872 wooden hall burned in 1923. No expense was spared to make this lodge the showcase of Ukiah. The lodge sported a blue Chinese . . . — Map (db m96480) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — 926 — Sun House
This house, constructed in 1911-12, is a unique craftsman style redwood building which incorporates northwestern Indian designs into its architecture. The sun house was designed by George Wilcox and John W. and Grace Carpenter Hudson. Dr. Hudson was . . . — Map (db m71925) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Ukiah Telephone Exchange
On June, 28, 1897 Ukiah became the 118th telephone exchange in California, when the Sunset Telephone Company started providing service. Minnie Smith Scott was the first manager and operator. Female operators were fondly called "Hello Girls", There . . . — Map (db m96477) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — 980 — Ukiah Vichy Springs Resort
Native Americans used these springs for thousands of years before Frank Marble "discovered" them in 1848. William Day established the resort here in 1854. Ukiah Vichy represents one of the oldest continuously operating mineral springs resorts in . . . — Map (db m78163) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.