Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mesa County Colorado Historical Markers

 
Butch Cassidy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Danny Grills
Butch Cassidy Marker
Colorado (Mesa County), Fruita — Butch CassidyIn the Grand Valley
Reportedly, in October 1899 Butch Cassidy and several members of the Wild Bunch, also known as the Hole-in-the-wall Gang, travelled through Grand Valley. From 1889 to 1904 this band of deperadoes thrilled local citizens and terrified many . . . — Map (db m104504) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 10 — Bannister Furniturec. 1890
William H. Bannister came from Molina, Colorado in the 1890s and in 1897, bought an established furniture store and funeral parlor from M.O. Whitehead. At the time, many furniture stores sold caskets and had an undertaker on staff. W.H. . . . — Map (db m120072) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 12 — Benge’s Shoe Storec. 1911
Benge's store is the oldest shoe store in the state, possibly the oldest shoe store west of the Mississippi River. Founded in October of 1911, three generations of the Benge family have operated the business. Founder Bertrand Benge moved from . . . — Map (db m120051) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 2 — Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575c. 1900
Lodge #575 was founded in 1900 by local drug clerk, 32-year-old J. Morrison Wohlfort. Before the present Lodge home was built, the founding Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks met in the I.O.O.F Hall at 454 Main Street. Lodge #575 was . . . — Map (db m120078) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — Grand Junction News Established
Upon this site in October 1882 a vital cultural influence in the town of Grand Junction was established by the printing of the first newspaper ~ The Grand Junction News Edwin Price, Editor — Map (db m120052) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 13 — Majestic/Mesa Theaterc. 1894
This building originally housed the Mesa Opera Rink, which opened in 1885. It offered a 300-seat playhouse for live theater, musical, and vaudeville acts. Ballroom dancing was on the large wooden "Rink" floor. In 1907, the front of the building was . . . — Map (db m120045) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 9 — Mesa Drug/City Marketc. 1924
The Prinster family opened the first City Market Store in the back of this location with a storefront facing Fourth Street in 1924. By 1940, the Prinster Brothers built western Colorado's first supermarket one block to the north of this location. . . . — Map (db m120073) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — Rocky RoadsColorado National Monument
The first people to witness this view were probably Indians who had to scale the steep cliffs and talus slopes. Later, ranchers dug narrow passages up into the canyons to bring their cattle to graze in the rich highland trails below. Begun during . . . — Map (db m61910) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 8 — Sampliner’s Dry Goodsc. 1890
In the 1890s, Joseph and Albert Sampliner started a small business selling men's fine clothing from a pushcart. The Sampliner cousins purchased their goods from bankrupt dry good stores in the Red Mountain mining district. The Sampliners . . . — Map (db m120071) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 5 — St. Regis Hotelc. 1892 — National Historic Register
An early stagecoach stop, The Grand Hotel, welcomed visitors with a tin-faced, two-story building, surrounded by shade trees, wooden sidewalks, and spacious lobby. In 1904 the building was purchased from William and Allie Neff and Anna Scott by . . . — Map (db m120050) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 21 — The Fair Buildingc. 1904 — City Historic Register
William J. Moyer was one of Mesa County's leading businessmen and philanthropists. He arrived in Grand Junction in 1890 and opened the original Fair Store across the street in a room measuring 12 ft. x 20 ft. with $700 in stock. In 1904, Moyer . . . — Map (db m120055) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 4 — Whitman Schoolc. 1925
This building was constructed in 1925, and served as an elementary school until 1965. It and the adjoining park, formerly known as Cottonwood, were named the Whitman School and Whitman Park, in honor of frontier missionary Marcus Whitman, who . . . — Map (db m120079) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Palisade — Colorado River Highway
Dedicated to The Pioneers of the Mountains and the Valleys of Western Colorado — Map (db m120041) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.