Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mills County Texas Historical Markers

 
Center City Baptist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
Center City Baptist Church Marker
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 17851 — Center City Baptist Church
In 1875, Reverend Noah Turner Byars, a former blacksmith who served with Sam Houston during the Texas Revolution, founded this church and served as interim minister. Rev. Byars ordained David Isaac Haralson, the first permanent pastor. Byars also . . . — Map (db m89960) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 6034 — Center City Cemetery(One-Half Mile Southwest)
The Center City Cemetery began with the burials in 1874 of Julia M. Bishop and M.E. Hughes, the adult and infant daughters of W.C. and Caroline Hughes, early settlers of this area. Judge L.E. Patterson purchased 2.5 acres containing the Hughes . . . — Map (db m89943) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 783 — Center City Community
Settled in 1854 by the families of William Jenkins and David Morris (1811-89), this community was called “Hughes Store” after W.C. Hughes and his wife opened a store here in the 1870s. They platted a townsite in 1876, hoping to attract . . . — Map (db m89944) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 14776 — Center City United Methodist Church
In the early 1870s, shortly after the founding of Center City (first known as Hughes Store), a circuit riding preacher ministered in the area. Charter members officially formed a Methodist church in 1878. Members first met in the community’s Masonic . . . — Map (db m89959) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — Confederate Veterans Memorial of Mills County
In Memory of Jeff Davis Camp No. 117 U.C.V. Organized in 1887 CSA 1861 - 1865 J.B. Abney Co B 9 Ga I • J.W. Allen Co F 19 Ark C • J.H. Allen Slaughters Tex C • Henry Avery Co B 30 Tex C • C.J. Ball Co E 22 Tex I • C.W. . . . — Map (db m89814) WM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 1160 — Dam and Well
When the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad reached this area in 1885, company officials platted the town of Goldthwaite and built a reservoir to supply water for steam locomotives. A 25-foot-high dam near this site stored water from several . . . — Map (db m89839) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 13152 — Goldthwaite Memorial Cemetery
In 1888, three local men bought land for use as a cemetery; the first burial was that of Houston Roberts. The Odd Fellows Lodge bought the grounds in 1894, adding land over the years. Watson Whittaker was killed during an 1898 train robbery and made . . . — Map (db m89840) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 3388 — Mills County
Formed from Brown, Comanche Hamilton and Lampasas Counties Created March 15, 1887 Organized August 30, 1887 Named in honor of John T. Mills 1817 - 1871 Judge of the Third and Seventh Judicial Districts in the Republic of . . . — Map (db m89810) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 12916 — Mills County Courthouse
Mills County was formed in 1887, and citizens built a county jail in Goldthwaite the following year. In 1889, Goldthwaite was chosen county seat, and Oscar Ruffini designed the first courthouse; it served at this site from 1890 through 1912, when it . . . — Map (db m89812) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 3389 — Mills County Jail1888
First structure built by newly organized county, before county seat was chosen. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1965 — Map (db m89837) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 16895 — Mills County State Bank
Mills County experienced much growth from 1887 to 1917 after the establishment of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway in the region. As Goldthwaite became the county seat and center, locals saw the need for a bank. On June 4, 1888, D.H. Trent . . . — Map (db m89836) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — Mills County World War II and Korea-Vietnam Memorial
This Tablet is Placed Here by the Goldthwaite Garden Club In Memory of Those of Mills County Who Paid the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II Baker, Wayne • Black, Norman O. • Carroll, O.B. • Clements, Bentley • Collier, James L. . . . — Map (db m89842) WM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 4556 — San Saba Peak
Rising to an altitude of 1,712 feet, San Saba Peak is an oblong promontory with rimrock edges on the north and west sides. The Spanish Governor of Texas, Don Juan Antonio Bustillo y Cevallos, named the ancient landmark in 1732. Tales of lost silver . . . — Map (db m20365) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 2199 — The Goldthwaite Eagle
In 1885 William H. Thompson (1842-1896) started a weekly newspaper, “The Mountaineer”, which closed but was reestablished in 1894. He sold it in 1896 to R.M. Thompson, his nephew, who renamed it “The Goldthwaite Eagle”. At . . . — Map (db m89838) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — The Old Town Well
Mr. Peyton died from poison fumes in digging this well Ben Cox was also overcome Deed H. Mayer rescued Mr. Cox and brought up Mr. Peyton’s body August 1887 In memory of these three men — Map (db m89813) HM
Texas (Mills County), Mullin — 3532 — Mullin United Methodist Church
Charles Mullins, for whom this town was later named, came here with cattle in 1857. By tradition, a Methodist circuit rider preached at his home. The date of the church’s founding is uncertain. Worship was held in Mullin schoolhouse for years. In . . . — Map (db m89694) HM
Texas (Mills County), Mullin — 5426 — Site of the Settlement of Williams Ranch(4 Miles South)
Once a prominent frontier town, Williams Ranch grew up around the homestead of cattleman John Williams (1804-1871), who came to this area in 1855. The community flourished during the Civil War (1861-1865) because of trade with Mexico and by 1874 had . . . — Map (db m89693) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.