Aurora, founded in 1860, was claimed by both California and Nevada. In 1861, the California legislature created Mono County and fixed the county seat here. In 1863 a border survey showed the camp was in Nevada and the Mono County seat was moved to . . . — — Map (db m49891) HM
This building, the first to be constructed in Hawthorne, is a remnant of the narrow-guage Carson & Colorado Railroad built south from Mound House in 1881. Railroad officials created the town from desert when the first lots were auctioned off on . . . — — Map (db m43175) HM
Formerly known as Six Mile Station, this stage stop and way station provided service between some of the smaller mining camps and Aurora and Bodie, CA during the late 1860's. The area became of greater importance with the arrival of the Carson . . . — — Map (db m37630) HM
Present Mineral Co. Seat -- Former Esmeralda Co. Seat
Townsite selected in 1880 by H. M. Yerington, president of the Carson and Colorado Railroad Co. as a division and distribution site for the new railroad.
The location was adjacent to . . . — — Map (db m44197) HM
Nevada's earliest maps show Walker Lake. Jedediah Smith, the first American into Nevada, passed near here in 1828 during his remarkable trip across the state. Peter Skene Ogden was here in 1829, then Fremont in 1845 with his guide, Joseph Walker for . . . — — Map (db m42358) HM
On July 1, 1883 the county seat of Esmeralda County moved from Aurora to Hawthorne. A court house was needed, so a contract to build it for $29125 was awarded. On August 16, 1883 construction began. Corruption and collusion between the contractor . . . — — Map (db m115909) HM
Debuted in the later forties at the Hawthorne Club located at the corner of 5th and E Street, the main intersection of all roads entering Hawthorne. This was a sign of the times with neon lighting. It brightened the intersection with its huge . . . — — Map (db m61068) HM
This memorial dedicated by the Disabled American Veterans and Ladies Auxiliary, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary, American Legion and Ladies Auxiliary and the citizens of Mineral County, Nevada to perpetuate the memory of our valiant . . . — — Map (db m61073) WM
Founded in 1873, Belleville flourished by milling the ore from the Northern Belle Mine in Candelaria. The mill located just east of here made its first bullion bar shipment ($9,200) in April, 1875.
Belleville was famous for murders, drunken . . . — — Map (db m89420) HM
Seven miles to the west lie the ghost towns of Candelaria and Metallic City.
Candelaria was presumably named after a mine of that name located in 1885, and also after the Catholic Candelmas Day. Metallic City, the "sin city" of Candelaria, and . . . — — Map (db m42342) HM
Salt pools discovered and developed here in 1862, led to a thriving business by delivering salt to mining mills in Virginia City by camel. Up until this time, the salt was purchased from San Francisco at a rate between 120 & 180 dollars a ton. Sales . . . — — Map (db m89451) HM
Although the area around Walker Lake in the Utah Territory was set aside for “Indian purposes” in 1859, it was not until 15 years later that President Grant signed the executive order formally establishing the Walker River Indian . . . — — Map (db m45076) HM