Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monongalia County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Blacksville Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, May 17, 2014
Blacksville Marker
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Blacksville
On Mason Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7) 0.1 miles east of Washington Road, on the right when traveling west.
Site of Baldwin blockhouse, 1770-1775. Brice and Nathan Worley settled here in 1766. Nathan was killed by Indians in 1777. Laid out as a town in 1829 and lots sold through a lottery. Town is named for David Black, early settler. — Map (db m73798) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Mason-Dixon Line
On Daybrook Road (West Virginia Route 218) 0.1 miles north of Mason Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7), on the right when traveling north.
Made famous as line between free and slave states before War Between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began, 1763; halted by Indian wars, 1767; continued to southwest corner, 1782; marked, 1784. — Map (db m73800) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Statler's Fort
On Mason Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7) 0.4 miles west of Mooresville Road, on the right when traveling west.
John Statler built a fort here in 1770. In its vicinity a number of settlers were Indian victims in 1777 and 18 white men lost their lives the next year. Later Statler himself and companions were massacred. — Map (db m73801) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Coopers Rock State Forest — Henry Clay Furnace
Near County Line Drive (Local Route 73/12) south of Exit 15 (Interstate 68).
West, in Coopers Rock State Forest, is the Henry Clay cold blast furnace, built 1834-36 by Leonard Lamp. It had capacity for four tons pig iron per day, and furnished employment for 200 people. Sold to Ellicots in 1837. Operated until 1847. — Map (db m74515) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Coopers Rock State Forest — Henry Clay Iron Furnace
On County Line Drive (Local Route 73/12) south of Exit 15 (Interstate 68).
Henry Clay Furnace, located on Quarry Run, was built between 1834 and 1836 by Leonard Laws for Tassey and Bissell. It was a cold-blast furnace and produced 4 tons of pig iron each 24 hours. It was one of several furnaces that were operated in this . . . — Map (db m74511) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Coopers Rock State Forest — Salt Sand
On County Line Drive (Local Route 73/12) south of Exit 15 (Interstate 68), on the left.
The massive pebbly Connoquenessing Sandstone, one of the “Salt Sands”of the driller, forms Coopers Rock. The “Salt Sands” produce oil and natural gas in West Virginia and commercial brines on the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers. — Map (db m74548) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Everettville — Everettville Mine Disaster
On River Road (County Route 45) at Fairmont Road (U.S. 19) on River Road.
On April 30, 1927, Federal No. 3 Mine exploded, killing at least 97 miners. Nine men inside survived the blast and soon reached safety. Using oxygen breathing apparatus, 21 teams conducted rescue efforts until May 24, containing fires as they went. . . . — Map (db m74653) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Granville — Granville Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (Route 100) at Broad Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
In honor of those who served [Names not listed]Map (db m134247) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Granville — Town of Granville Honor Roll
On Dents Run Boulevard (Route 49) north of Dent Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
[Names not listed] All Gave Some, Some Gave All — Map (db m134246) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Catawba War Path
On Buckeye Road (West Virginia Route 39) 0.7 miles east of Mason Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7), on the right when traveling west.
Warrior Branch of the Great Catawba Indian War Path. Here are located the three crossings of Dunkard Creek by Mason and Dixon. Here the Chief of the Six Nations Indians declared that he "would not proceed one step further." Here hostile Shawnees and . . . — Map (db m73799) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Fort Martin
On Fort Martin Road (County Route 53) just south of the Pennsylvania state line, on the left when traveling south.
Fort Martin was built in 1769 by Colonel Charles Martin. Three settlers were killed and seven captured near the fort in 1779. At the Methodist Episcopal Church here Bishop Francis Asbury preached in 1784. — Map (db m74599) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Fort Martin
On Fort Martin Road 0.9 miles north of Seece Lane, on the right when traveling north.
Seven hundred feet east of this marker is the site of Martins Fort built in 1773 for the protection against the Indians and British. Here in 1779 three settlers were killed and seven were captured by the Indians. — Map (db m102052) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Masontown — The CCC: Creating a Lasting Monument to Conservation
On Coopers Rock Road, on the left when traveling west.
From 1933-1942, the young men of the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) helped lift America out of the Great Depression through hard work and ingenuity. They helped develop and restore our recreation areas and natural resources for the benefit of us . . . — Map (db m109191) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MO1 — 201st Infantry/ Field Artillery
On Willowdale Road.
This National Guard unit traces it origins to Capt. Morgan Morgan, who formed the company Feb. 17, 1735. It served with Washington's militia in Braddock's 1755 campaign. At the outset of the Revolution he called upon these fighting men to "drive the . . . — Map (db m73352) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Bell of the Armored Cruiser U.S.S. West Virginia
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Bell of the Armored Cruiser U.S.S. West Virginia Commissioned: 23 Feb 1905 Decommissioned: 1 Sept 1920 Dedicated to the memory of those West Virginians who gave their lives in the service of their country by Alpha Phi Omega . . . — Map (db m134302) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Boreman Hall South
On North High Street north of Prospect Street, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m134318) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Brooks HallWest Virginia University
Near Beechurst Avenue (U.S. 19) north of Hough Street, on the right when traveling north.
Brooks Hall, named in honor of Chandler, Fred, Amos, and Alonzo Brooks, originally opened in 1951. Brooks Hall was home to the University's biology department until its relocation into the Life Sciences Building in the fall of 2002. Fall 2007, . . . — Map (db m134280) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Chief James H. Kennedy
On High Street (U.S. 119) south of Fayette Street, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m134322) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Chitwood Hall
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1893, this building was named for Oliver Perry Chitwood, West Virginia University Professor of History from 1907 to 1946. During that period, his textbook on American colonial history was used throughout the country. The building originally . . . — Map (db m134295) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Core Arboretum
On Monongahela Boulevard (U.S. 19) at Evansdale Drive, on the right when traveling south on Monongahela Boulevard.
The Core Arboretum was part of the Krepps Farm until 1948, when West Virginia University purchased land for the Evansdale campus. The WVU Department of Biology manages the 91 acre arboretum as a place for research, study, exercise and quiet . . . — Map (db m75114) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Courthouse SquareMonongalia County
On Walnut Street (U.S. 119) west of High Street, on the left when traveling west.
Named for the Monongalia River, Monongalia County was established in 1776. With the formal recognition of the Mason-Nixon line in 1783, it was determined that the first meeting place of the county court actually fell within the borders of . . . — Map (db m134276) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dents Run Covered Bridge
On Fairmont Road (U.S. 19) at Sugar Grove Road (County Route 43), on the right when traveling south on Fairmont Road.
1.5 miles south; erected in 1889 by order of Monongalia County Court. Contract awarded to W. A. Loar with Edward W. Brand as superintendent. Stone abutments built by Loar at cost of $198, with wood framework constructed by Wm. and Joseph Mercer at a . . . — Map (db m73386) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dunkard Sands
On Smithtown Road.
The Buffalo and Mahoning sandstones, the "Dunkard Sands" of the driller, are exposed in the road cuts and merge to form a great cliff at Raven Rock. They produce oil and natural gas in northern and western West Virginia. — Map (db m73376) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Easton Roller Mill
On Easton Mill Road (County Highway 17) at Mileground Road (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling east on Easton Mill Road.
Steam driven grist mill, built ca. 1870 by Henry Koontz, could grind 120 bu. of grain daily. Stone burrs were replaced with iron rollers in 1894, improving output and quality, and representing peak technological development for a local flour mill. . . . — Map (db m117096) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
West Virginia University was chartered by an act of the Legislature on February 7, 1867 and was called the "Agricultural College of West Virginia." In 1868, the name was changed to "West Virginia University." As early as 1867, the liberal arts and . . . — Map (db m134284) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Elizabeth Moore Hall
On University Avenue south of College Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Elizabeth Moore Hall Built in 1928 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134306) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — First Pottery
On Walnut Street.
The first pottery in West Virginia was founded here about 1785 and the making of pottery was important before 1800. John Scott, Jacob Foulk, John Thompson, and Francis Billingsley were among the first potters. — Map (db m73358) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Ford House
On Ford Street south of Caddell Street, on the right when traveling south.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134255) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Fort Pierpont
On Old Cheat Road at Canyon Road on Old Cheat Road.
John Pierpont, Revolutionary soldier and the son-in-law of Zackquill Morgan, built a fort in 1769. Washington was his guest in 1784. Here was born Francis H. Pierpont, who played an important part in the formation of West Virginia. — Map (db m117095) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Fueling a Community: The Henry Clay Iron Furnace
Near Clay Furnace Trail.
Can you imagine a bustling community here made up of hundreds of people, all with livelihoods centered around this old stone furnace? The Henry Clay Iron Furnace was the fiery heart fueling this small community, and reminds us of our historic . . . — Map (db m109189) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — George Washington Stopped Here
On Old Cheat Road at Canyon Road (County Route 67) on Old Cheat Road.
One half mile north of this marker stood the house where George Washington stopped in September 1784 and conferred with leading men of this section “pursuing my inquiries respecting the navigation of the western waters”. Eager to . . . — Map (db m117094) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MO2 — Harmony Grove Church
On River Road at Master Graphics Road on River Road. Reported missing.
Built before the Civil War on land donated by Rufus E. and Elizabeth Conn in 1854, this church was the meetinghouse for congregations of Episcopal, Presbyterian , Methodist Episcopal, and Methodist Protestant denominations. It was placed on the . . . — Map (db m64093) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Honor Roll1941 - 1945 — Monongalia County —
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
Members of the Armed Forces who gave their lives in World War II [Names not listed]Map (db m134271) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Ice’s Ferry
On Cheat Road (County Route 857), on the right when traveling north.
Ice's Ferry was settled by Frederick Ice in 1767. His son Adam, born the same year, was the first white child born in Monongahela Valley. Andrew Ice in 1785 started the first authorized ferry in western Virginia. — Map (db m73337) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — James K. Samuel, Jr.
Near Don Knotts Boulevard south of Waterfront Place, on the right when traveling south.
WVU College of Business & Economic 1989 - 1998 September 11, 2001 North Tower, World Trade Center Floor 92 Dedicated By Parents, Jim & Linda Samuel, Sister, Jennifer Agresto, Girlfriend, Jackie Curcio, Neice, Mikayla . . . — Map (db m134253) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Joseph Snider
On Point Marion Road (U.S. 119) north of Pinehurst Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Monongalia County in 1827, he was a delegate to the First and Second Wheeling Conventions and a member of the Restored Government of Virginia. Appointed colonel of the 7th WV Infantry in 1862, he was wounded at Fredericksburg. In late 1863, . . . — Map (db m104396) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Kerns Fort
On Arch Street at Dewey Street, on the right when traveling west on Arch Street.
This tablet marks the site of Kerns Fort erected at the beginning of Dunmores War 1774 — Map (db m134267) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Martin Hall
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Completed in 1870, Martin Hall is West Virginia University's oldest building. It was named for the Reverend Alexander Martin, the University's first president from 1867 to 1875. The building was extensively renovated in 1976-77. — Map (db m134297) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Mason-Dixon Line
On U.S. 119.
Made famous as line between free and slave states before War Between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began 1763; halted by Indian wars, 1767; continued to southwest corner, 1782; marked, 1784. — Map (db m73341) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Mast of the Battleship West Virginia
On University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Mast of the battleship West Virginia 1923 - 1946 A tribute to her gallant crew and to all West Virginians who have served our country in the Armed Forces — Map (db m134301) HM WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia Arts Center
On High Street at Kirk Street, on the right when traveling south on High Street.
Built in 1913 and 1914 under the direction of U.S. Department of Treasury Supervising Architect Oscar Wenderoth and at a cost of $97,000, this cut stone and marble Neoclassical structure housed the U.S. Postal Service and federal agencies in . . . — Map (db m16098) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Courthouse
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
Monongalia County was established in 1776 from the Virginia District of West Augusta and named for the Monongahela River. When the Mason Dixon line was formally recognized in 1783, officials determined that the first meeting place of the county . . . — Map (db m117097) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Korean War Memorial
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
In honor of those citizens of Monongalia County who so bravely served the United States of America in the Korean Conflict — Map (db m134273) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Vietnam War Memorial
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
In honor of those citizens of Monongalia County who served our country with utmost dedication and bravery in the Vietnam Conflict — Map (db m134274) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County War Memorial
On Dorsey Avenue at Goodwin Street, on the left when traveling north on Dorsey Avenue.
In memory of Monongalia's sons “They fought for the freedom of others.” In memory of “Our Sons” who fought for the freedom of the world, 1917-1918 In memory of “Our Women” who sacrificed for the freedom . . . — Map (db m117099) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County World War I Killed in Action Memorial
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
1917 - 1919 In memory of Monongalia Co., W. VA. Soldiers, Sailors and Marines who gave their lives in the World War. [Names not listed]Map (db m134272) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County World War I Memorial
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
In honor of those men and women of Monongalia County who served our country during World War I — Map (db m134268) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County World War II Memorial
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119).
In memory of those who so bravely served our country During World War II — Map (db m134269) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County/Pennsylvania
On Blue Horizon Drive (U.S. 19) 0.5 miles north of Cassville-Mt Morris Road (West Virginia Route 39), on the right when traveling north.
Side A Monongalia County Formed, 1776, from District of West Augusta. All or parts of 21 other counties, including three in Pennsylvania, were carved from it. Named for the Monongahela River, bearing an Indian name, which means . . . — Map (db m69903) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Montani Semper Liberi
On Chestnut Ridge Road (County Route 61) east of Don Nehlen Drive, on the right when traveling east.
In memory of those 201st Infantry Veterans through our history from February 17, 1735 as frontier militia who defended their homes and families with honor through the George Washington campaign of 1754, the Braddock campaign of 1755, Battle of Point . . . — Map (db m134319) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MorgantownWestover Bridge — Jones-Imboden Raid —
Near Garret Street at Moore Street.
On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that they . . . — Map (db m117118) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Norman Rossinow
Near Don Knotts Boulevard (U.S. 119) south of Waterfront Place, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m134254) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Oglebay Hall
On College Avenue south of Maiden Lane, on the left when traveling north.
Oglebay Hall built in 1918 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134305) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Old Iron Works
On Walnut Street.
Iron furnaces were busy in Monongalia County at early date. At Rock Forge, Samuel Hanway started work, 1798, and on Cheat River, Samuel Jackson built a furnace. The latter plant, under the Ellicotts, worked 1200 men. — Map (db m73360) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Old Stone House
On Chestnut St..
Oldest stone house in Monongalia County. By legend built by Jacob Nuze on original lot 25. Sold 1795 to tavern-keeper Henry Dering. Owned 1800 - 1813 by potters John Thompson and Jacob Foulk. Bought by Joseph Shackelford who operated a tanyard here . . . — Map (db m64090) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Orville Eberly Plaza
Near Beechurst Avenue (U.S. 19) north of Hough Street, on the right when traveling north.
Honoring Orville Sebastian Eberly 1900-1983 Founder of The Eberly Foundation Uniontown, Pennsylvania Coal Industry Entrepreneur Geologist • Banker Community and Civic Leader Philanthropist Resident of Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m134279) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Patrick Dunn
Near Don Knotts Boulevard (U.S. 119) south of Waterfront Place, on the right when traveling south.
Commander, U.S. Navy September 11, 2001 Pentagon Dedicated By Elizabeh Hinkle, Sister of Buchannon & Thomas O'Neill, Nephew, of MorgantownMap (db m134252) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Martin Hall, home of the Perley Isaac School of Journalism since 1953, was completed in 1870, three years after West Virginia University was chartered. The Reverend Alexander Martin, the University's first president, had an office in the building . . . — Map (db m134292) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Purington House
On University Avenue north of Prospect Street, on the left when traveling north.
Purington House Built in 1904 - 1905 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134316) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Seneca Glass Company
On Beechurst Avenue (West Virginia Route 7) north of 7th Street when traveling north.
In 1891, a small group of glass-making artisans from Seneca County, Ohio, founded the Seneca Glass Company. For almost 100 years, Seneca Glass Company’s highly skilled craftspeople manufactured glassware and exquisitely etched lead crystal by hand, . . . — Map (db m74624) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Site of the Birthplace of David Adam IceAugust 5, 1767 — July 5, 1851
On Cheat Road (County Route 857) at Mont Chateau Road, on the left on Cheat Road.
Revolutionary Soldier 1780–81. First white child born in West Virginia. Son of Frederick Ice, who hewed these millstones from the adjacent hill, installed them on Buffalo Creek, Barrackville W. Va. in the mill operated by his descendants for . . . — Map (db m74550) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Stewart Hall
On University Avenue north of Prospect Street, on the left when traveling south.
Stewart Hall (Old Library Building) Built in 1902 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134307) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — The Ghost of a TrainFrom Rails to Trails
Near Don Knotts Boulevard (U.S. 119) south of Waterfront Place, on the right when traveling south.
The rail-trail you are standing on today exists not only because trains because trains rumbled through here in the past, but because this corridor may be needed for trains in the future. In 1983, the U.S. Congress amended the National Trails System . . . — Map (db m134251) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — To the Patriots of the American Revolution
On High Street south of Walnut Street (U.S. 119), on the right when traveling south.
To the patriots of the American Revolution who went from Monongalia County and to those who lie buried in the county this stone is placed as a loving tribute to their courage and valor by the Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m134270) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — University of West Virginia Veterans Memorials
On College Avenue east of University Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
[Top left plaque:] Doris "Dorie" Miller First African American Hero of WWII In Recognition of Extraordinary Courage in Battle Aboard the U.S.S. West Virginia Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 [Bottom left . . . — Map (db m134304) HM WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Veterans Memorial
On Hare Farm Lane east of Cheat Road, on the left when traveling east.
In honor of those who served — Map (db m134324) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — VFW Post 548 Veterans Memorials
On Spruce Street at Willey Street, on the right when traveling north on Spruce Street.
In memory of the members of General Daniel Morgan Post No. 548 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.A. who gave their lives in service in World War II George C. Phillips • John J. Luteman • Clarence Prager • Barton W. Core • James W. . . . — Map (db m14088) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Walters House
On Willey Street (U.S. 119) west of Spruce Street, on the right when traveling west.
Walters House Erected 1900-1901 National Historic Place National Register of Historic Places United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134278) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia / Pennsylvania
On U.S. 119.
West Virginia (Monongalia County). “The Mountain State”—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French . . . — Map (db m73342) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
On Monongahela Boulevard (West Virginia Route 19) at Patterson Drive (West Virginia Route 705), on the right when traveling south on Monongahela Boulevard.
Founded by the Legislature on February 7, 1867 as the Agricultural College of West Virginia under terms of the Federal Land-Grant Act of 1862. On December 4, 1868, the name was changed to West Virginia University. — Map (db m74626) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
On Grafton Road (U.S. 119) at Fawley Lane, on the right when traveling north on Grafton Road.
Founded by the Legislature on February 7, 1867, as the Agricultural College of West Virginia under terms of the Federal Land-Grant Act of 1862. On December 4, 1868, the name was changed to West Virginia University. — Map (db m114316) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
Near University Avenue north of Hough Street, on the right when traveling north.
Through the hospitality of the Board of Governors, President & Faculty of the West Virginia University irreplaceable books and herbarium specimens belonging to The New York Botanical Garden were graciously given shelter in . . . — Map (db m134317) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Women's Centenary1891 - 1991 — Excellence through Equity —
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
For the first 22 years, West Virginia University was an all-male institution. In 1889, 10 brave women enrolled as degree candidates. In 1891, one of these women, Hariet Eliza Lyon, graduated first in her class. One-hundred years . . . — Map (db m134282) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Woodburn Circle
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Woodburn Circle, comprised of Martin Hall, Woodburn Hall, and Chitwood Hall, is the historic center of West Virginia University. The name Woodburn was selected by Reverend John R. Moore, principal of the Monongalia Academy and later superintendent . . . — Map (db m134285) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Woodburn Hall
Near University Avenue north of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
The name Woodburn derives directly from Woodburn Female Seminary, which occupied this site before the university was established in 1867. Woodburn means grove of trees and it described the rove of beech trees which once covered the area. Completed . . . — Map (db m134281) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pentress — Border Heroine
On Mason-Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7) at Buckeye Road (County Route 39) on Mason-Dixon Highway.
Frontier narratives record many hostilities between settlers and Native Americans. One account states Mrs. Bozarth, in a hand-to-hand fight, armed with axe only, killed three men during a 1779 attack on her cabin at the Dunkard Creek settlement. — Map (db m1031) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pentress — Catawba War Path
On Buckeye Road (County Route 29) north of Mason-Dixon Highway (West Virginia Route 7), on the left when traveling north.
Branch of Warrior Trail of the Great Catawba Indian War Path located here where Mason and Dixon Survey crossed Dunkard Creek for third time. Guide, Six Nations Indians’ chief, declared he “would not proceed one step further,” because . . . — Map (db m1044) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pursglove — Scott’s Run Veterans Memorial
On West Virginia Route 7 at #8 Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 7.
Scott’s Run Veterans Memorial ( left panel ) The Purseglove Community Honor Roll The following names were listed on the original program of the honor roll dedication of Sept. 16, 1945 ( 325 names are listed ) ( . . . — Map (db m114686) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pursglove — Scotts Run/The First Shack
On West Virginia Route 7 east of #8 Hollow Road, on the left when traveling east.
Scotts Run By the 1930s 10,000 residents representing 28 nationalities and tied to the coal industry crowded the hillsides, victims of severe poverty brought on by a coal recession and Great Depression. "The Shack" and Scotts Run Settlement . . . — Map (db m50473) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Star City — Honor Roll Star City, W.Va.
On Frontier Street at University Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Frontier Street.
Honor Roll Star City, W.Va. In Honor Of Those Who Have Served and Are Serving In the Armed Forces of the United States of America World War II Anderson, Ralph R. · Anderson, David C. · Audia, Frank A. · Audia, Louis P. · Audia, Thomas . . . — Map (db m114667) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Star City — John F. Kennedy Memorial Park
On Frontier Street at University Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Frontier Street.
John F. Kennedy Memorial Park A Father's Love It was here in Star City that John F. Kennedy announced his intention to enter the West Virginia primary as a candidate for the Presidency of the United States. This decision was motivated by deep . . . — Map (db m114665) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Star City — Star City Veterans Monument
On Frontier Street at University Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Frontier Street.
WV Star City In Honor Of All Star City Veterans Past Present Future Dedicated May 30, 2011 — Map (db m114664) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Stewartstown — “The Baptist Church at the Forks of Cheat”Established November 1775
On Point Marion Road (U.S. 119) at Stewartstown Road (County Road 65), on the left when traveling south on Point Marion Road.
The oldest denomination of Christians west of the mountains on the Waters of the Cheat and Monongahela Rivers in the Commonwealth of Virginia (now West Virginia). First meeting house erected of logs on the highest point in the graveyard near . . . — Map (db m74598) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Stewartstown — Stewartstown
On Point Marion Road (U.S. 119) at Stewartstown Road (County Route 65), on the right when traveling south on Point Marion Road.
William Stewart settled here in 1771. Northeast was Fort Dinwiddie. Forks of Cheat Baptist Church was organized here, 1775, by John Corbley, the pioneer minister, whose family was massacred later by the Indians. — Map (db m74597) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Westover — Riverside Honor Roll
On Dunkard Avenue (West Virginia Route 100) at Wheeling Street, on the right when traveling south on Dunkard Avenue.
Built and dedicated in honor of the citizens who served in World War II [Names not listed]Map (db m134249) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Westover — Westover Honor Roll
On Holland Avenue (West Virginia Route 100) east of Newport Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Built and dedicated in honor of the men and women who served in war and peace [On the other side of the memorial:] In Grateful Tribute to those who served with honor in the Armed Forces of the United States of . . . — Map (db m134250) WM

86 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement