This sanctuary was built one mile west of this site about 1825 near springs used by local Indians. The original wood-frame building survived virtually unchanged, with no modern conveniences. An Indian Springs petitionary letter was presented to the . . . — — Map (db m47703) HM
Burnt Corn, Monroe County's earliest settlement, became the crossroads of the Great Pensacola Trading Path and The Federal Road. Settler Jim Cornells returned from Pensacola in 1813, finding his home destroyed and his wife kidnapped by a Creek . . . — — Map (db m47687) HM
The Puryearville Methodist Church began as a society near Burnt Corn in 1820 and was located here c. 1830 to c. 1943. Richard C. Puryear deeded 2 acres of land on March 25, 1843 to Isaac Betts, George Watson, William Black, Joel B. Walden and Thomas . . . — — Map (db m47699) HM
Placed here in 1988
Do not open until Oct. 2088
Time Capsule contains no articles of any
Town of Frisco City, AL
Mayor Billy McCrory
Billy Hoffman • Jimmy McKinley
Joe Ikner • . . . — — Map (db m84381) HM
John Poebles had an established toll bridge over Little Escambia Creek in the early 1800’s. A dispute over the bridge arose between Poebles and John Hollinger. As a result Hollinger built a toll free bridge adjacent to Poebles’ toll bridge. — — Map (db m84378) HM
The following eyewitness account was written by T. C. McCorvey of Tuscaloosa in April 1865 during the War Between The States.
"A boy of 13 has a distant recollection of some of the incidents of the raid on Monroeville. The . . . — — Map (db m85912) HM
Created in 1815 by proclamation of Governor of Mississippi Territory from lands ceded by Creek Indians in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
Named for President James Monroe, fifth President of U.S.., 1817-25, who purchased Florida from Spain, . . . — — Map (db m47695) HM
"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." These words of Charles Lamb are the epigraph to Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird", a novel about childhood and about a great and noble lawyer, Atticus Finch. The legal profession has in Atticus . . . — — Map (db m47700) HM
Originally a part of the Mississippi Territory purchased from Spain in 1795, this area was inhabited and controlled by Indian Nations until 1814. Now safe from Indian uprisings, settlers migrated down the Old Federal Road as far as . . . — — Map (db m86000) HM
The Old Monroe County Courthouse, designed by prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan, was built between 1903 and 1904 during the tenure of Probate Judge Nicholas Stallworth. One of two buildings of this type designed by Bryan (a sister courthouse . . . — — Map (db m47688) HM
On this site stood the home of the Faulk family of Monroeville, relatives of the writer Truman Capote. Capote himself lived in this home between 1927 and c. 1933, and for several years spent his summer vacations here. Two of the Faulk sisters . . . — — Map (db m47694) HM
During the westward expansion of the United States in the early 1800’s, those whose destination was the new Mississippi Territory took a right fork off the Federal Road which led to the Alabama River ferry at Claiborne. After the land cessions of . . . — — Map (db m47638) HM
Built by Gen. Ferdinand L. Claiborne as a base for his invasion of the Alabama country with U.S. Regulars, Lower Tombigbee Militia, and friendly Choctaws. Claiborne’s campaign culminated in the American victory over the Creeks at the Holy Ground. — — Map (db m47641) HM
Oldest Building in Monroe County
Erected in 1824 with funds from a public lottery. Lower floor served as a Baptist Church and a Court Room in which William B Travis, then a resident of Claiborne, practiced law. Visited by General LaFayette April . . . — — Map (db m39203) HM
The Perdue Hill Industrial School was founded by Patrick J. Carmichael after he moved to this area in 1918. Carmichael acted as both the principal and teacher during the early years of the school, which was originally a one-room structure serving . . . — — Map (db m47643) HM
Piache, an Indian town visited by DeSoto in 1540 was near here.
DeLuna made a settlement here, Nanipacna in 1560.
Fort Claiborne was erected on the south bluff, in 1813.
LaFayette was entertained here, 1825.
. . . — — Map (db m47639) HM
The Alabama home of the commander of the Alamo. While living in this house Travis read law under The Hon. James Dellet of Claiborne, Al. In 1831, at the age of 22, he left Claiborne for Texas where he practiced law and became involved in the Texas . . . — — Map (db m47644) HM
The first settlers came to this area in 1815. Major Walker built a grist mill and a log structure was built which served as a school and a religious meeting place for three different denominations. Settlers came to clear land and . . . — — Map (db m86001) HM
North of Salem Cemetery and the former church was the site of Price's Hotel, the first place to spend the night on the Federal Road after Greenville. Mr Price was also the stagecoach driver for this section between Greenville and his hotel. Mrs . . . — — Map (db m84986) HM
Little River was the home of Creek Chief William Weatherford, also known as War Chief Red Eagle. This was the area of much discussion and debate, bringing the Creeks into the War of 1812 and the Creek Civil War of 1813-1814. These events weighed . . . — — Map (db m86271) HM