Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monroe County Florida Historical Markers

 
The Florida Keys Memorial Marker image, Touch for more information
By Julie Szabo, August 16, 2007
The Florida Keys Memorial Marker
Florida (Monroe County), Islamadora — The Florida Keys Memorial
The Florida Keys Memorial, known locally as the “Hurricane Monument,” was built to honor hundreds of American veterans and local civilians who perished in the “Great Hurricane” on Labor Day, September 2, 1935. Islamadora . . . — Map (db m3251) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Highway Piers
The veterans of World War I were promised a bonus but due to the Great Depression of the early 1930s the government was without funds. Roosevelt was president and formed the Florida Emergency Relief Administration to create jobs for those . . . — Map (db m116064) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Historic Plaque
Indian Key, an 11 acre island just offshore to the east, played an important part in Florida's history. An Indian village 1500 years ago, it was also the home of pirates roaming the Caribbean, and a ship wrecker's village during the 1810's. The . . . — Map (db m83557) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Juan Ponce de Leon
Juan Ponce de Leon was born in San Servas, Spain in 1460. He had served in the Spanish army and had accompanied Christopher Columbus in his second voyage in 1491. He was appointed governor of Haiti in 1511 and governor of Puerto Rico in 1512. . . . — Map (db m83555) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Rafters
This plaque is in memory of the many Cubans who were desperate to leave Castros' communist Cuba. They left their homes and families trying to cross the 90 miles of sea in rafts, innertubes or anything that would float. Not knowing what rough . . . — Map (db m83553) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Road and Ferry
In April, 1926, Monroe County began construction of a road on the east end of Upper Matecumbe to connect with other islands. It eventually made it possible to drive to Key West by using a ferry. The first car drove to Key West on Jan. 25 1928 . . . — Map (db m83879) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Site of Camp Three
Established in 1934, during the Great Depression, Camp Three housed 250 Bonus Army veterans until September 2, 1935 when one of the worst hurricanes ever recorded destroyed everything there. The eye of the hurricane passed over nearby Craig Key with . . . — Map (db m83592) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Spanish Treasure Fleet of 1733
On Friday, July 13, 1733, the Spanish treasure fleet under the command of General Don Rodrigo de Torres Morales, sailed from Havana Harbor for Spain. The fleet of 21 ships was loaded with gold and silver from the mine at Cartagena, Peruvian . . . — Map (db m83550) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Tea Table Key
Indians lived on this island over 1000 years ago. In 1722, it was known as Boys Island. In Dec., 1838, Lt. Coste established a Naval base here and named it Ft. Paulding. This was the base for the West Indian Squadron used to blockade the coast to . . . — Map (db m83541) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Triangle of History
1. North East end Lower Matecumbe Key - Ancient Water Wells - only fresh water on Upper Keys - Used by Indians, Sailors and Traders in XVII Century. Huge Indian Midden (Kitchen) near Wells. 2. Indian Key - Spanish Trading Post - established by . . . — Map (db m83862) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key Largo — African Queen
The African Queen vessel was created in 1912 and is on the American National Historic Register. Her boiler is custom made and is historically correct and her steam engine is from 1896. She was restored in 2012 and has to be meticulously maintained . . . — Map (db m83207) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-432 — African Cemetery at Higgs Beach
Near this site lie the remains of 294 African men, women and children who died in Key West in 1860. In the summer of that year the U.S. Navy rescued 1,432 Africans from three American-owned ships engaged in the illegal slave trade. Ships bound for . . . — Map (db m84722) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Alfred Goldsboro Mayor
Alfred Goldsboro Mayor, who studied the biology of many seas and here founded a laboratory for research for the Carnegie Institution directing it for XVIII years with conspicuous success, brilliant versatile courageous utterly forgetful of self. He . . . — Map (db m9304) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Audubon House
Captain John H. Geiger, skilled pilot and master wrecker, built this house in 1830. It is typical of the era when, in 1832, the famed naturalist, John James Audubon, visited Key West to study and sketch the birds of the Florida Keys. On March 18, . . . — Map (db m81832) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 38 — Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea-Circa 1852-
Welcome to the oldest Roman Catholic Parish in South Florida. There is evidence that Spanish Jesuits serving in Cuba first attempted to establish a mission in Key West as early as 1724.The first Catholic Church on the island was dedicated February . . . — Map (db m101385) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 48 — Clinton Square
This monument represents two perspectives on how the Civil War affected the residents of Key West. The obelisk in the center of the memorial plot was erected by the Navy Club of Key West for the Union soldiers who lost their lives in Key West during . . . — Map (db m85270) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-78 — Convent Of Mary Immaculate(1878)
Built by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, a Canadian Order which first established a school here in 1868. Designed by William Kerr of Ireland, of Romanesque style, with dormered, mansard roofs and central tower. In the . . . — Map (db m101297) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 93 — Cornish Memorial AME Zion ChurchCirca 1864
Founded in 1864, Cornish Chapel members began building their church in 1885. Designed to resemble European cathedrals, it served as a place of worship, school, and refuge during inclement weather. The foundation was quarried from the site and its . . . — Map (db m101245) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-701 — E.H. Gato Cigar Factory
The Gato Cigar Factory was constructed by Eduardo H. Gato in 1916. This Neo-Classical Revival, poured-concrete structure with a large central courtyard was constructed after an earlier wood frame factory on this site burned. Numerous windows . . . — Map (db m93305) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 17 — Eduardo Gato Cigar Factory
This is the second Gato cigar factory located on this site. The first structure was a wooden factory built in 1884 and destroyed by fire in 1915. The second factory was built as a hurricane and fire proof structure in 1920. It features large windows . . . — Map (db m99444) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-765 — Eduardo H. Gato House
This house, with its elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, was built c. 1894 by E. H. Gato, Sr. (1847-1926). The Gato family was one of Key West's most prominent families, and three generations of the family lived here until 1951. Eduardo H. Gato . . . — Map (db m101296) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-647 — Fort Taylor
Fort Taylor was constructed in 1845 as part of the Third Tier System of Defense which called for the establishment of masonry fortresses constructed along America’s coastline to prevent sea attacks upon the United States. This fort was an important . . . — Map (db m101356) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — GunroomsFort Jefferson — Dry Tortugas National Park
The 8- and 10-inch columbiads were standard U.S. cannon for coast defense. They were cast-iron, muzzle-loading smoothbores. The 8-inch weighed 9,210 pounds and when elevated 4” threw a 65-pound ball about a mile. From the top of the fort, the . . . — Map (db m100238) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — In Memory of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd1833 - 1883 — Imprisoned Fort Jefferson, Florida (July 24, 1865)
“...upon occasion of the prevalence of the yellow fever...Samuel A. Mudd devoted himself to the care and cure of the sick and interposed his courage and skill to protect the garrison...from peril and alarm, and thus...saved many valuable lives . . . — Map (db m9305) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-658 — Key West Armory
This 1903 armory was described as "an unusual wood-frame building," and was one of the few armories built in the South due to lack of funds following the Civil War (1861-1865). The Italianate-style, Key West Armory incorporates an arched entrance, . . . — Map (db m85266) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-551 — Key West Cemetery
Key West Cemetery was founded in 1847 following a hurricane the previous year that destroyed the earlier cemetery located near present day Higgs Beach. To protect from future flooding, the 19-acre cemetery was located here on Solares Hill, the . . . — Map (db m32660) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-814 — Key West Woman's ClubMartin Hellings House
The Martin Hellings House, constructed c. 1892 by Captain Martin L. Hellings, is one of only a few historic houses in Key West not built of wood. Hellings was a native of Pennsylvania and a Union soldier in the Civil War. In 1881, Hellings married . . . — Map (db m84718) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Mallory Homesite
The home of Stephen Russell Mallory (1812-1873) stood near this site from 1839 to 1895 when it became U.S. Navy property. U.S. Senator from Florida from 1851 to 1861 and Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee after 1853. As Secretary of the Navy in . . . — Map (db m84721) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Naval Station1823 - 1974
Commodore David Porter established a Naval Station here on April 3, 1823 as a Supply Base for his 17-ship Anti-Pirate Squadron. The Station remained in constant operation from that date until its disestablishment on March 31, 1974. Although its . . . — Map (db m26835) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Navy Club of Key West Monument
Erected 1866 by the Navy Club of Key West To the Memory of the Officers, Sailors & Soldiers of the Army, Navy & Marine Corps of the United States who lost their lives in their Country's service upon this station from 1861 to . . . — Map (db m85331) WM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Navy Days at Fort JeffersonDry Tortugas National Park
In 1898, the U.S. battleship Maine sailed from this anchorage to her destruction in La Habana harbor. “Remember the Maine” became the rallying cry for the Spanish-American War that followed. The anchorage served the navy through . . . — Map (db m100241) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-601 — Old City Hall
The City of Key West acquired this lot in 1871 and built a wood-frame city hall, dedicating it on July 4, 1876, during the nation’s Centennial. That building stood until it burned down in the devastating fire of 1886. The City then constructed this . . . — Map (db m84719) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-9 — Porter's Anti-Pirate Fleet
An outbreak of piracy in 1822 prompted the United States to organize the West Indian Squadron, an anti-pirate fleet. Commanded by Commodore David Porter, the squadron in 1823 included 17 ships and 1,100 men based in Key West. For two years the . . . — Map (db m72739) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Southernmost Point
The Conch Republic 90 Miles to Cuba Southernmost Point Continental U.S.A Key West, FL Home of the Sunset — Map (db m4793) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-79 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church(1832)
Oldest in Florida Diocese, the present church (1912) is the fourth on this site. John Fleeming, one of the four original owners of the island, is buried here. His widow donated the property, stipulating that the church pews be free. Rectory built . . . — Map (db m84328) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — The Dry Tortugas, Home to a Myriad of LifeDry Tortugas National Park
These coral islands surrounded by warm water are ideal habitats for birds, turtles, shellfish, coral, fish, and other form of ocean life. Nearby Bush Key is a spectacle of sooty and noddy terns during their March to September nesting season. View . . . — Map (db m100242)
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — The History of the Southernmost Point
In 1773 George Gauld, a British surveyor & cartographer, placed the Southernmost Point at 24°29'N latitude and 82°35'W longitude. At the time Cayo Hueso, now called Key West, was part of the Spanish Empire. John Simonton purchased the island . . . — Map (db m87412) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-546 — The Little White House
Built in 1890 as quarters for Navy officers, the Little White House later was used by American Presidents William Howard Taft, Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Truman used the facility as a vacation . . . — Map (db m32655) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — The Little White House
Built in 1890 on the waterfront as a two-family dwelling for the base commandant and paymaster, this building was known as Quarters A and B. It was converted into a single-family residence in 1911. President William Howard Taft visited this site in . . . — Map (db m32659) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-724 — The Oldest Schoolhouse
Built about 1838 and moved to this location after the hurricane of 1846, the Patterson-Baldwin House is believed to be one of the oldest buildings in Key West. The Classical Revival style house is reputed to have been built, but never occupied, by . . . — Map (db m84333) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 68 — The Samuel O. Johnson House
Constructed in 1886 by Samuel Otis Johnson. The structure started out as a grocery and butcher shop as well as a residence. It was purchased in 1913 by Dr. William Richard Warren. Doctor Warren's medical offices consisted of the front porch used as . . . — Map (db m85272) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — War of 1898On this site the Catholic Convent of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was located
(side 1) In April of 1898 it was graciously offered and converted to a 400 bed United States Army Hospital for the treatment of soldiers and sailors, ill with dangerous tropical diseases or wounded in battle, during Cuba's War of . . . — Map (db m101295) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 54 — West Martello
This structure is one of three Civil War era forts in Key West. They were built as a defensive chain around the island and support for Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. No cannons were ever fired and no soldier died in battle at this . . . — Map (db m85261) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Long Key — F-168 — Long Key Fishing Club
(side 1) Henry M. Flagler began construction of the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad southward from Homestead in 1905. Despite destructive hurricanes in 1906, 1909, and 1910, the Key West Extension was completed in . . . — Map (db m72798) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Marathon — Seven-Mile Historic Bridge
Constructed between 1908 & 1912 as a railway bridge. The bridge was modified in 1935 for the use of automobiles until 1982. — Map (db m59076) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Marathon — F-721 — Stained Glass Windows of St. Columba Episcopal Church
Established in 1955, St. Columba Episcopal Church has occupied this building since 1960. Between 1977 and 1982, nineteen dalle de verre, or faceted stained glass windows, were installed in the church. This technique uses thick pieces of colored . . . — Map (db m83331) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Summerland Key — F-901 — State Road 4A
The first Overseas Highway, also known as State Road 4A (SR 4A), consisted of two roadway segments both completed by 1928. One spanned from Key West to No Name Key, and the other from Key Largo to Upper Matecumbe Key. Ferries transported cars . . . — Map (db m107043) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Tavernier — F-778 — Tavernier
(side 1) What is today Tavenier was originally inhabited by the Calusa and Tequesta Native Americans. The Tequesta occupied the area around Biscayne Bay, while the Calusa inhabited Southwest Florida. In 1513, the Florida Keys were . . . — Map (db m83540) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Upper Matecumbe Key — F-266 — Florida East Coast Railroad Overseas Extension“The Railroad That Went to the Sea”
Oil magnate Henry M. Flagler first visited Florida in 1878. Realizing Florida’s potential for growth, he developed railroads and hotels which transformed the eastern seaboard. The Florida East Coast Railroad reached Miami in 1896 and soon was . . . — Map (db m72797) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.