When the War of 1812 began, LaPlaisance Bay settlement consisted of 14 homes along the creek. Medard LaBadie, considered a hero for his participation in the Battles of the River Raisin and those at Fort Meigs and Thames, was a French settler here. . . . — — Map (db m27601) HM
The first land patent for land in the Village of Dundee, was issued to William Remington, from Livingston County, New York, on July 23, 1823. Riley Ingersoll, Dundee's first white settler, settled here in 1824. The settlement was named Dundee by . . . — — Map (db m100794) HM WM
Dundee's first saw mill was built here in 1828, by Riley Ingersoll and Samuel and William Gale, on land acquired by William Remington, July 28, 1823. A brush and dirt dam was constructed across the River Raisin in 1827, by Riley Ingersoll and George . . . — — Map (db m100791) HM
In 1860 the Reverend A.D. Herzberger of Monroe chartered this church with twenty-two members. The predominantly German congregation worshipped in a schoolhouse until the first church was completed in 1863. The present Gothic church, originally . . . — — Map (db m100784) HM
Michigan troops made heir headquarters here during the bloodless Toledo "war" in 1835.
Intense rivalry between the settlers of the two states fanned a controversy near flame. Original U. S. surveys had put in Monroe County the mouth of the . . . — — Map (db m21010) HM
George Romney • James A. Rhodes
Governor of Michigan • Governor of Ohio
50th Anniversary of
Michigan-Ohio Boundary Survey
On 18 September, 1965 officials of the States
of Michigan and Ohio, and leaders of both
states in . . . — — Map (db m82614) HM
In spring 1937, the eyes of the nation were on Monroe. The Steel Workers Organizing Committee had organized a handful of workers at Republic’s Newton facility. On June 10, about 120 pickets confronted over 1,000 non-unionized workers and . . . — — Map (db m67513) HM
Here, Francois Navarre, first white settler in Monroe, built his home. His 500 acre farm, acquired by deed from the Indians in 1785, afforded a center for the River Raisin colony, by 1790 an important frontier community.
Col. Navarre was friend . . . — — Map (db m20933) HM
In the words of Laurent Durocher, "after the defeat of Winchester, many of the inhabitants fled with their families to the frontier of Ohio. Others went to Detroit. The British made several attempts to persuade the Indians to destroy what was left . . . — — Map (db m20905) HM
On this property in 1812 was the trading post of John Anderson, famed Scottish pioneer of the River Raisin.
Anderson, Colonel of the Militia in 1812, was taken prisoner at Detroit, later escaped.
Mrs. Anderson, alone at the time of the . . . — — Map (db m27262) HM
[Marker side facing south]
British Artillery on January 22nd consisted of six small cannons, mostly 3-pounders, with some small howitzers. The artillery pieces were first positioned about 400 yards north of here, just south of Mason Run . . . — — Map (db m20941) HM
[Marker side facing south]
Describing the American victory of January 18, 1813, Capt. John McCalla of the 5th Kentucky, wrote: "I have seen the enemy, and I have seen him defeated. I have seen my fellow soldiers extended lifeless bloody . . . — — Map (db m20945) HM
Gen. George A. Custer's brother, Boston, and his nephew, Harry (Autie) Armstrong Reed, accompanied the ill-fated Little Big Horn Expedition into Montana as civilian Quartermaster employees. While at the rear of the cavalry column they learned Gen. . . . — — Map (db m21001) HM
From near this spot on Jan. 22, 1813, 525 British soldiers and Canadian militiamen from Fort Malden under Col. Henry Proctor and some 800 Indians under Chiefs Roundhead and Walk-In-The-Water launched a pre-dawn attack on the sleeping American camp a . . . — — Map (db m27254) HM
Under attack by the British and Indians before dawn on Jan. 22, 1813, in the second Battle of the River Raisin, the U.S. 17th Infantry soon broke and fled south across the frozen river. Gen. James Winchester, the American commander, tried several . . . — — Map (db m20899) HM
The American Capt. John Woolfolk hid in one of the French homes just east of here during the massacre at the River Raisin, Jan. 23, 1813. Indians searching the settlement found him. They claimed him as their prisoner and forced him to this spot. . . . — — Map (db m20882) HM
Col. Allen tried vainly to rally the retreating Americans at the second Battle of the River Raisin, Jan. 22, 1813. Exhausted and disabled by a thigh wound, he faced the pursuing Indians near here. The colonel desperately defended himself at . . . — — Map (db m20898) HM
Although Dr. Dorsch, born in Bavaria, was a competent physician with degrees from Munich & Vienna, he was exiled when the 1848 Germain Revolution failed. In Monroe his love of freedom led him to make this home a station on the Underground Railroad, . . . — — Map (db m27636) HM
“If you are cut down in a movement that is designed to save the soul of a nation, then no other death could be more redemptive. We must somehow believe that unearned suffering is redemptive. We must work passionately and indefatigably to . . . — — Map (db m72501) HM
Newspaper history in Monroe has been continuous since 1825 when Edward Ellis, an exceptionally able editor, came west from Buffalo with his press and printing equipment.
Ellis’ pioneer paper was unique for that day, holding itself independent . . . — — Map (db m72541) HM
Over this ground, Jan. 18, 1813, 667 Kentuckians and nearly 100 local Frenchmen charged across the frozen river toward the British and Indian positions. The 63 British and Canadian soldiers and 200 Potawatomi Indians made a brief stand there, then . . . — — Map (db m27660) HM
Here in the log house of Jean Baptiste Jereaume the Federal Court of the Erie District, Territory of Michigan, held its first session July 3, 1805. President Thomas Jefferson named Judge Augustus B. Woodward to preside.
Beginning in 1807 the . . . — — Map (db m20909) HM
This Church, the first Protestant Church in this area and the first Presbyterian Church in Michigan, was organized January 13, 1820. “Minuteman” George Alford, of the Revolutionary War, was one of the charter members.
The Rev. . . . — — Map (db m72503) HM
Born Dec. 5, 1839, New Rumley, Ohio.
Graduated U.S. Military Academy, June 1861.
Brigadier General Volunteers June 29, 1863.
Brevet Major General Volunteers Oct., 1864.
Commanded Michigan Brigade of cavalry at Battle of . . . — — Map (db m20878) HM
[Side A]:George Armstrong Custer
Raised in Monroe, George Armstrong Custer graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York in 1861. In 1863 he became a brigadier general and commanded the Michigan Cavalry Brigade. . . . — — Map (db m22787) HM
From the earliest days of Michigan settlement this corner has witnessed travel of many sorts signaling important events in the history of Michigan.
East lies Monroe’s port on Lake Erie where waves of immigrant traffic came from New England . . . — — Map (db m72717) HM
“Remember the River Raisin” became a national battle cry in the War of 1812 after settlers and Kentucky soldiers were massacred by Indians on the river’s banks in violation of protection promised by the British,
The stream here was . . . — — Map (db m25963) HM
The Monroe County Historical Society began to collect local historical artifacts in 1938, housing them in a storied homestead, the Sawyer House on East Front Street, before presenting them to the Historical Commission established in 1967 by . . . — — Map (db m72539) HM
The Second Battle of the River Raisin Jan. 22, 1813, found nearly 400 American soldiers caught in retreat down this old road to Ohio. Those few who made it to this point, over a mile south of their camp, were ambushed by hidden Indians. The 40 . . . — — Map (db m27294) HM
Named for the Erie Indians, this was the last of the Great Lakes discovered by white men. The French were exploring the upper lakes as early as 1615, but they avoided the region to the south, which was the realm of hostile Iroquois Indians. Then in . . . — — Map (db m107150) HM
LaPlaisance Bay - the pleasant bay - was named in 1679 by Robert De LaSalle. After the War of 1812, it became part of the United States. In 1820 Maj. John Whipple was appointed keeper of the LaPlaisance Bay lighthouse. April 19, 1825 Col. John . . . — — Map (db m107143) HM
German pioneers who began settling this area in 1828 formed Monroe County's first Lutheran church here in 1834. The Rev. Friedrich Schmid became their first pastor, traveling by horseback from Ann Arbor. The growing congregation incorporated as Zoar . . . — — Map (db m121795) HM
Born in New Rumley, Ohio, George A. Custer grew up in Monroe in the home of his half-sister, Mrs. David Reed. February 9, 1864, in the Presbyterian Church here, he married Libbie Bacon, only daughter of Judge Daniel S. Bacon.
During the Civil . . . — — Map (db m20935) HM
Here were buried unidentified remains of victims of the River Raisin Massacre of 1813.
In 1872 surviving veterans of that war gathered in Monroe from Ohio and Kentucky. They headed a colorful civic pageant which halted solemnly at this spot . . . — — Map (db m21006) HM
Michigan: Historic Crossroads
Because of its location in the heart of the upper Great Lakes, Michigan has been a historic crossroads. Its waterways and trails were favorite routes of Indians many centuries ago. French explorers first entered . . . — — Map (db m100856) HM
This Monument is dedicated to the
Memory of the heroes who
Lost their lives in our country's defense,
Battle and Massacre of the River Raisin,
January 22nd, and 23rd, 1813. — — Map (db m20937) HM
Monroe County was established in July, 1817, as one of the first steps in the organization of Michigan Territory after the War of 1812.
Then the old settlement of Frenchtown which centered upon this square took the name of Monroe and became the . . . — — Map (db m27634) HM
A covered toll bridge first spanned this section of the River Raisin in 1819. Destroyed by high water and ice in 1832, the bridge was replaced with a conventional wooden span, which lasted 30 years before being replaced in the late 1860’s.
. . . — — Map (db m72705) HM
Local historians credit Monroe County with the largest proportionate enrollment of volunteers in the Civil War of any county in the United States.
Military enrollments have been proportionately large in Monroe County in every war, due no . . . — — Map (db m72603) HM
Captain Nathaniel G. T. Hart, brother-in-law of Henry Clay and inspector general of American Army of the Northwest under Harrison, was killed here during the massacre of the River Raisin January 22 - 23, 1813.
Captain Hart, wounded in battle, . . . — — Map (db m27260) HM
[Front side of Marker]
You are approaching the oldest surviving wooden structure in Michigan. Built in 1789, it was moved from its original Monroe site in 1894. In 1969 its history was discovered. We are exceptionally grateful to the . . . — — Map (db m27317) HM
General Hull's army hewed out of the wilderness the first Michigan road when it advanced from the River Raisin to Detroit at the beginning of the War of 1812.
In Monroe the original crossing of the river by Hull's Army was at a ford near the . . . — — Map (db m27235) HM
One of the pioneer rail lines of the west, the Michigan Southern transported during a colorful but brief period a vast army of settlers who crossed Lake Erie by boat. Trains waited at the piers to carry the travelers and their possessions west to . . . — — Map (db m72542) HM
Public whipping for minor crime was a custom brought from New England by Monroe's earliest American settler's. Not general in the midwest, the punishment was administered here chiefly to ne'er-do-wells whom the citizens wished to be rid of. . . . — — Map (db m27726) HM
In the temporary absence of Tecumseh, the Native-American allies of the British were led by Wyandot Chiefs Roundhead and Walk-in-the-Water. Besides the Wyandots, Native forces included warriors from the Shawnee, Potawatomi, Ottawa, Chippewa, . . . — — Map (db m21567) HM
Joseph Porlier Benac, Sandy Creek's first settler, was granted a tract of land here by the Potawatomi Indians Aug. 3, 1780. By the time of the War of 1812, sixteen homes lined the banks of the creek.
Retreating Indians swept through the . . . — — Map (db m27245) HM
Site of Battles of Jan. 18 - 22
Gen. Winchester in Command,
and River Raisin Massacre
Jan. 23, 1813
800 Americans under Cols.
Allen, Lewis and Wells
Fought desperately against . . . — — Map (db m20041) HM
In this vicinity and parallel to the driveway, a line of scattered human remains were detected in 2000, which may mark the main skirmish line of the 17th U.S. Infantry. The bodies of those killed lay exposed to the elements for some time after the . . . — — Map (db m20916) HM
This church is the immediate successor to the first church of Monroe County, St Antoine aux Riviere Raisin (October 15, 1788), which was located two miles upriver.
Construction of this church was begun in 1834. It was consecrated in 1839. The . . . — — Map (db m67522) HM
The Great Indian Chief Tecumseh headquartered near here for over a month after the unsuccessful British And Indian siege of Fort Meigs in Ohio, July 1813. The British strategy was to use the Indians at the River Raisin to slow down any American . . . — — Map (db m20914) HM
Protected only by a picket fence, nearly 500 Kentucky militiamen fought off three British charges on their camp along the river and silenced the British cannon with their long rifles in the second Battle of the River Raisin, Jan. 22, 1813.
They . . . — — Map (db m27243) HM
This 116 acre "French ribbon farm", purchased by General George Armstrong Custer, his brother, Nevin, and their wives August 22, 1871, ran northerly from the River Raisin. Nevin Custer farmed it until his death. The present Custer Airport, created . . . — — Map (db m22741) HM
In 1789, Heutrau Navarre, son of Detroit's Royal Notary, built this house, Michigan's oldest residence. Constructed of joined timbers, it is considered the best example of French colonial architecture in the state. Originally Navarre used it as a . . . — — Map (db m27316) HM
Elements of the U.S. 17th Infantry were camped in an open field just north of here when the British and Indians launched their surprise counterattack at dawn, January 22, 1813. The Americans held their ground here for 20 minutes before the Canadian . . . — — Map (db m20904) HM
On April 22, 1833, the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad was granted a charter by the Legislature of the Territory of Michigan and was built and in operation a year before Michigan was a state. It was to connect Toledo (then called Port Lawrence and . . . — — Map (db m27772) HM