Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monroe County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Blakeslee United Methodist Church image, Touch for more information
By Rick Bodenschatz, June 26, 2016
Blakeslee United Methodist Church
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Blakeslee United Methodist Church
The oldest congregation in the area first assembled in a log schoolhouse in 1840. A church was built in 1852, when Pastor Frederick Illman presided. In 1897 it was replaced with this building, which was enlarged in 1960. Seventeen stained glass . . . — Map (db m97303) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Easton and Wilkes-Barre Turnpike
A privately-owned toll road was chartered in 1803 and completed by 1816. It followed the course of today’s route 115 in our township, with tollgates about every 17-miles. Grain from the Wyoming Valley, lumber from the Poconos, and building plaster . . . — Map (db m104520) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Harrison Amusement Park
From 1930,families flocked here, to a creekside beach and attractions on both sides of the road: Sporting fields, miniature railroad, carousel, stone skating rink, clubhouse, swimming pools, dining hall and penny arcade. The place was hopping as . . . — Map (db m104525) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Jacob Blakeslee, Jr.1822-1896
Blakeslee was the influential community leader for whom this village was named. He was a merchant, farmer and lumberman, owning several thousand acres. A trustee of the Methodist Church built in 1852, and the town’s first postmaster in 1883, Jacob . . . — Map (db m97890) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — The First Schoolhouse
Our community pioneered public education before the state mandated it in 1834. A log schoolhouse was built in 1831, with Miss Sarah Winters as the first teacher. Few married women were employed in that era. By 1860, the township’s four schools each . . . — Map (db m104529) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — The Great Swamp
The local landscape was formed over 11,000 years ago by the retreating Wisconsin glacier. As the ice melted, it left behind massive boulders and rocks, known as “drift deposits”. This geological event created vast areas of swampy land . . . — Map (db m104530) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Cresco — The Flood of 1955Barrett Township, Monroe County, Pennsylvania

The Flood of 1955 was the greatest natural disaster to affect Barrett Township in more than a century. The Flood occurred in the waning weeks of the summer of 1955 in the midst of the tourist season. Many of the local hotels and boarding houses . . . — Map (db m125466) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Delaware Water Gap — John Philip Sousa

This historical marker is placed as a memorial to John Philip Sousa who conducted a Sousa band concert here in the Castle Inn Music Hall on August 20, 1912

Dedicated on August 20, 1987, this plaque commemorated the 75th . . . — Map (db m111306) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Delaware Water Gap — War Memorial

Dedicated to the men and women of Delaware Water Gap who served their country

1917 • World War I • 1919 [Honor Roll of Veterans]

1941 • World War II • 1945 [Honor Roll of Veterans]

Korean War [Honor Roll of . . . — Map (db m111312) WM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Delaware Water Gap — Waring Drive

has been named to honor Delaware Water Gap's world famous musician, band leader and choral director Fred M. Waring, Sr.

Dedicated July 1981 — Map (db m111303) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), East Stroudsburg — Daniel Brodhead
Settled here about 1738. Founder of the town, first called Dansbury. Lived here until 1755. His son Daniel became a Revolutionary War leader and later the State Surveyor General. — Map (db m86985) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), East Stroudsburg — Dutch Settlers
First European settlers in this region were Dutch who came over the "Old Mine Road," traveling from the Hudson to the Delaware. Crossing at Walpack Bend, they then used this road, oldest in Monroe County. — Map (db m86988) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), East Stroudsburg — Fort Hyndshaw
Built in 1756 by order of the Province of Pennsylvania. Northernmost of a line of defenses erected during the French and Indian War. — Map (db m86990) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), East Stroudsburg — Smithfield Church
Believed to be the first of four early churches built by Dutch Settlers, it stood below the road toward the river. The log structure housed the Dutch Reformed congregation until it moved to the Old Stone Church in Shawnee ca. in 1752. — Map (db m86992) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Kresgeville — Fort Norris
Built in 1756 by the Province of Pennsylvania. One of a series of frontier defenses erected during the French and Indian War. The site was about a mile distant. — Map (db m86932) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Kresgeville — Fort Norris
Erected 1756 one mile southeast across Pohopoco Creek, one of line of frontier forts built under the direction of James Hamilton and Benjamin Franklin. Commanded successively by Captain Jacob Orndt, “an excellent officer”, Capt. Reynolds . . . — Map (db m86934) WM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Minisink Hills — Shawnee-Minisink Archaeological Site
Nearly 13,000 years old, this location, near the confluence of the Delaware River and Brodhead Creek, is one of the earliest dated Native American sites in the northeastern US. Archaeological investigations uncovered hundreds of stone tools left by . . . — Map (db m86978) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Forest Products Industry
The area’s vast timber resources spawned a myriad of wood-related industries. 30 sawmills existed in 1830. With increasing demand, larger sawmills and specialty production opened, including a clothespin factory. Over 20 products were made, such as . . . — Map (db m104540) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Isaac Stauffer"King of the Poconos"
Stauffer (1834-1919) engaged in lumbering on an enormous scale, reinvesting his profits in land. He accumulated over 4,000 acres in this area. Business ventures included manufacturing, a saw mill, ice companies and Pocono Lake’s first phone company. . . . — Map (db m104545) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Sullivan Bridge
General John Sullivan’s 1779 Revolutionary War expedition built a road through this area. Only one bridge was required from Easton to Wilkes-Barre, and it crossed Tobyhanna Creek here. Camped nearby, over 500 troops completed the difficult . . . — Map (db m103664) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — The Battle of Locust Ridge

On August 2, 1784, a battle was fought here in the 3rd Yankee-Pennamite War. After a brutal winter, the Yankee Settlers were forcibly pushed from their homes in the Wyoming Valley by the Pennsylvania Militia. As a result, a battle of the campaign . . . — Map (db m97711) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Wagner's Tree Farm
In 1888, George E. Wagner founded this tree farm on 1,700 acres. He and his son, Sterling R. Wagner, achieved recognition in the fields of forestry and conservation. A WB&E rail spur provided an outlet for forest products, coal, blueberries, and . . . — Map (db m97721) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — William Henry ChristmanFirst At Arlington
During the Civil War, Christman of Pocono Lake enlisted in the 67th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. He sent his military pay and enlistment bonus to his penniless parents so they could buy land for a family home and farm. On May 13, 1864 . . . — Map (db m103670) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Historic Pocono Lake Cemetery
This burial ground has served the surrounding area since the Civil War era. A walk among the markers takes you back in time. Here lie those who built our community. Some worked in logging, ice harvesting or farming. Some founded schools, churches, . . . — Map (db m85408) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Hungry Hill MemorialSullivan's Expedition
This encampment site was named by General Sullivan’s Expedition of the Revolutionary War, 1779, en route north to avenge the Wyoming Massacre. They called the adjacent swamp Hell’s Kitchen. Army engineers built this first road on the Pocono Plateau, . . . — Map (db m84565) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Ice Harvesting Industry
Ice was harvested on local lakes from 1896 thru the 1940s. Vast icehouses insulated with sawdust at Naomi Lake, Pocono Lake, Stillwater Lake, Anglewood lake and Brady’s Lake kept tons of ice frozen through summer. Blocks of ice were shipped by rail . . . — Map (db m104537) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Lutherland
In 1926, Lutherans from the NY metro area created a vacation site dedicated to Christian values. This was the entrance to over 1,300 acres on which their dream was realized. A lake, hotels, youth camps, and family cottages were built in a pristine . . . — Map (db m97156) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Naomi Pines House
Franklin Comfort Miller opened a summer resort on this site in 1888. His beautiful Victorian hotel offered guests lush woodlands, pure streams and healthy spring water. Naomi Lake (1895) added swimming and boating. Room cost of $8 weekly included . . . — Map (db m104543) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Pocono Pines Assembly
An independent “Chautauqua” was organized in 1902 by followers of Rev. Rufus W. Miller. Occupying 300 acres, it was initially named “Naomi Pines Assembly and Summer Schools”. Hotels. Auditorium and a library provided . . . — Map (db m104490) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Summer Youth Camps
After 1900, Pocono camps became popular destinations for children from outside this area. Recreation activities including swimming, boating, riding and sports. “Sleep away” experience was a first for most campers. Pocohanna, Owaissa, . . . — Map (db m95755) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The First Fire Company / The Clymer Library
The First Fire Company Built in 1935, the Pocono Pines Fire Company included offices for police, township supervisors and support staff. Its Goodwill Community Club offered space for public “meetings, suppers and various . . . — Map (db m104528) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The Lumbering Industry
Pocono timberlands, trees as far as the eye could see, laid the foundation of soaring commerce during the latter half of the 19th century. Innovative and energetic logging of mammoth white pine, eastern hemlock and hardwoods fueled the growth of . . . — Map (db m96410) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The Stagecoach Inn
A log-framed inn served travelers on Sullivan Road, circa 1850. Rooms, food and drink were available. It also housed church services and a post office for the town, then known as Tompkinsville. Operated by Frederick P. Miller and his son Timothy, . . . — Map (db m97597) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Tobyhanna Township
The first permanent settlers were attracted to this area by an abundance of natural resources: land, trees, water. The township was incorporated in 1830, with 230 residents. It was named after Tobyhanna Creek, “A stream lined with . . . — Map (db m104538) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Wilkes-Barre and Eastern Railroad
In 1893 a single track line was built from Wilkes-Barre to Stroudsburg. It was the shortest route to a connecting line, taking anthracite coal to tidewater ports in New Jersey for domestic and export markets. With stations at Naomi Pines, Pocono . . . — Map (db m104547) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines and Pocono Lake — Salem United Church of Christ
This 1883 building, initially the German Reformed Church, is the oldest surviving religious structure in the area, with the original bell still in its steeple. Legendary Pocono businessman Isaac Stauffer was a founder. Land donated by Charles Gravel . . . — Map (db m92320) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Sciota — Sullivan Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians, 1779Brinker's Mill
Missing Plaque-Site of Sullivan's Stores, the advanced post of the Expedition. — Map (db m87014) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Sciota — Sullivan's March
Brinker's Mill was the storehouse and advance post for the Sullivan Expedition, which left Easton June 18, 1779, to attack the hostile Iroquois Indians. — Map (db m87013) WM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Sciota — The Old Mill
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m87016) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Scotrun — The Sullivan Expedition Against The Iroquois Indians 1779White Oak Run
Site of Chowder camp, Where Gen. Sullivan dined on trout chowder, end of third day's march June 20, 1779 Distance 5 miles. — Map (db m46829) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Shawnee on Delaware — Nicholas DuPuy1682-1762

The first settler of Shawnee. In 1727 purchased 3000 acres of land including the islands of Shawano and Manwalamink from the Minsi Indians. He was a grandson of Nicholas DuPuy and his wife Catherine DeVos, Huguenot refugees from Artois France . . . — Map (db m106201) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Shawnee on the Delaware — World Wars Memorial

Shawnee on the Delaware Pa has not forgotten those who served in World War I

Micola Breletta ☆ • Richard S. Burns • Robert K. Christenberry Earl N. Detrick • Ross S. Fuller • Howard A. Knudson Loyd L. Lee • J. Stark . . . — Map (db m111354) WM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Shawnee on the Delaware — Worthington Hall

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior ——————————— As a memorial of George . . . — Map (db m111359) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Shawnee-on-Delaware — Nicholas Depuy
First known settler in this region, 1727. His home, stockaded and garrisoned, became Fort Depuy of the French and Indian War, after 1755. — Map (db m106200) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — A. Mitchell Palmer1872-1936
US Congressman, 1909- 1915, US Attorney General, 1919-1921, and contender for Democratic presidential nomination, 1920. As Attorney General, led “Palmer Raids” during the “Red Scare,” prosecuting those suspected of being . . . — Map (db m86961) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Col. Jacob Stroud
In Memory of Col. Jacob Stroud, Born 1735, Died 1806, Founder of Stroudsburg; his son Daniel, appointed by his father as his successor to the Lordship of Stroudsburg; and the Revolutionary Soldiers buried herein. — Map (db m22) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Colonel Jacob Stroud
Colonel Jacob Stroud is buried in this graveyard, originally the cemetery of the Mission of Dansbury. Begun by the Monrovian Brethren in 1743, the chapel destroyed in the Indian uprising of 1755 was erected in 1753 under the leadership of Daniel . . . — Map (db m37942) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — 396C — Dansbury Mission
Erected about 1744, by Daniel Brodhead, for use by Monrovian missionaries. Destroyed by the Indians in 1755, during the French and Indian War. The site adjoined the present cemetery. — Map (db m37943) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Delaware Water GapResort Point Overlook
Welcome to Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This unit of the National Park system stretches along both sides of the middle Delaware River for 40 miles from Milford in the north to the scenic Water Gap in the south. The park has places to . . . — Map (db m87136) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Delaware Water GapPoint of Gap Overlook
Welcome to Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This unit of the National Park system stretches along both sides of the middle Delaware River for 40 miles from Milford in the north to the scenic Water Gap in the south. The park has places to . . . — Map (db m87137) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Fort Hamilton
Built at direction of Benjamin Franklin. Named after James Hamilton, a member of the Governor's Council. Stood NW of here, garrisoned 1755-57, one of a chain of forts later replaced by Fort Penn. Abandoned in 1757. — Map (db m28) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Fort Hamilton
One of a chain of frontier forts of the Province of Pennsylvania in the French and Indian War. Erected under the direction of Benjamin Franklin. Stood hard-by to the rear extending across Ninth Street. Built in January 1756 by Captain Levi Trump and . . . — Map (db m29) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Fort Penn
Named for Governor John Penn, and replacing Fort Hamilton, the fort stood nearby. In 1763, it was garrisoned by Provincial troops. Later it served as refuge from attacks following the Battle of Wyoming, July 3, 1778. — Map (db m30) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Jacob Stroud1735-1806
Colonel in the militia and Revolutionary patriot. He stockaded his home as Fort Penn. Member, state constitutional convention, 1776, and state legislature, 1781-1783. He founded Stroudsburg in 1799; he and his son Daniel then laid out the town — Map (db m86960) WM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — John Summerfield Staples(1845-1888)
In 1864, President Lincoln named this young Stroudsburg man as his "representative recruit" for the Union Army in the Civil War. The U.S. War Department had appealed to citizens ineligible for the draft to furnish recruits, and Lincoln chose to set . . . — Map (db m86938) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — McMichaels Creek
An important part of early Stroudsburg. About 1853, Ephraim Culver built a grist mill, only to see it burned by Indians. Later, more mills were built. Many were destroyed by floods. The present dam, believed to be built before 1884, diverted water . . . — Map (db m37944) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Monroe County
Formed April 1, 1836 out of Northampton and Pike counties. Named for President James Monroe. Site of Indian raids, 1755-82, and of a segment of Sullivan's March. Pocono Mountains famed as a resort area. County seat, Stroudsburg, was incorporated in . . . — Map (db m86963) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Stroudsburg — Stroud MansionMonroe County Historical Association
Community House built by Jacob Stroud 1795; Home of Daniel Stroud; Civic Club of Stroudsburg; Monroe County Historical Society; Jacob Stroud Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution; Public Library — Map (db m86957) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Tannersville — Sullivan Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians, 1779
Learned's Tavern-The last house on the frontier. The end of the second day's march June 19, 1779. Distance 16 miles. — Map (db m86936) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Tannersville — Sullivan's March
Learned's Tavern marked the end of the second day's march from Easton to Fort Wyoming, at Wilkes-Barre. The army camped here June 19, 1779, after a 16-mile march from Heller's Tavern. — Map (db m86935) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Tannersville — Swiftwater Valley WWI Memorial
1917-1918 These men of the Swiftwater Valley put their country’s need above opportunity, ease and private gain and served with the armed forces in the World War. These mountains and the folks who find peace among them shall ever hold them in . . . — Map (db m106164) WM

61 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.