Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Maryland Historical Markers

473 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 273
 
Barnesvile Station image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, April 25, 2009
Barnesvile Station
Maryland (Montgomery County), Barnsville — Barnesvile Station
Dedicated October 8, 1977 Built about 1930 as the first metering station for the Washington area gas supply, this building was saved from imminent destruction by concerned citizens dedicated to both the preservation of the visible past and . . . — Map (db m18379) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Barnsville — Barnesville“... a bad night of it...” — Gettysburg Campaign
The advance of Union Gen. John F. Reynolds’ I Corps began slogging through Barnesville on the morning of Friday, June 26, 1863, having crossed the Potomac River the afternoon before and camped west of town. Continuous heavy rain made marching muddy . . . — Map (db m1678) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Barnsville — Barnesville“Before night our town changed hands five times!” — Antietam Campaign 1862
On the evening of September 5, 1862, Gen. Wade Hampton’s and Gen. Fitzhugh Lee’s Confederate cavalry brigades bivouacked around Barnesville. They rode the next day to their base camp at Urbana, leaving the 9th Virginia Cavalry to guard Barnesville. . . . — Map (db m1679) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — African American Soldiers from Montgomery County1861-1865
Black men — both free and enslaved — were called upon to fight in the Civil War which ultimately led to the dismantlement of slavery, that ‘peculiar institution.’ As the Civil War dragged on, the state newspapers exaggerated . . . — Map (db m86905) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — BeallsvilleSquabble at the cemetery: Whose flag flies today? — Antietam Campaign 1862
On September 9, 1862, the running engagement between Illinois, Indiana, and Virginia cavalry units that began the day before in Poolesville continued in Beallsville when two Federal regiments forced the single regiment of Virginia cavalrymen posted . . . — Map (db m1681) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — Brewer Farmstead
Family Farming Dr. William Brewer acquired 583 acres in a land grant known as “Woodstock Manor,” in 1838. Woodstock was two miles from Dr. Brewer's primary residence, Aix-La-Chappell where he provided medical treatment to the . . . — Map (db m86904) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — Equestrian Heritage
Importance of Horses Horses were brought to this continent by Spanish explorers in the 16th centu­ry. Their speed and endurance were invaluable in the New World. In early America. specific breeds were relatively unknown. Horses were . . . — Map (db m86431) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — In Loving MemoryConfederate Memorial
“In loving memory of the valor and self-sacrifice of the Maryland soldiers in the Confederate Army whose names are inscribed hereon” War of 1861 — 1865 J. Collison White     Richard R. Hays Thomas H. White     James . . . — Map (db m86183) WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Beallsville — Seneca Stone Barn
Restoring History This circa 1800 stable was built either by the Young family or the Fisher family of Seneca sandstone most likely quarried nearby on the Potomac River. Seneca stone was prized for its ruddy variegated color, local . . . — Map (db m86368) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — "All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza"Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza This plaza is a tribute to the history and legacy of two great military medical institutions and their contributions to military medicine. Through this garden’s peaceful landscape, sculpture, and . . . — Map (db m70946) HM WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — A Totem For Healing
The National Library of Medicine's healing totem was created to promote good health, in keeping with the mission of the doctors and scientists who work here at NIH to advance our knowledge of health and medicine. Master carver Jewell James of the . . . — Map (db m77836) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — At This LocationQuercus alba -- White Oak
The 192 year old, 84 foot tall white oak that grew here was felled on February 14, 1998 to make way for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center. The U.S. Navy used the 14 ton, 35 foot trunk segment for repairs to the USS Constitution, . . . — Map (db m73322) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Battery Bailey
During the Civil War, fortifications were constructed around the perimeter of Washington to defend the city from attack by the Confederate Army. Paramount to survival under siege was protection of the city's water supply. Forts Sumner and Mansfield . . . — Map (db m17647) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Bear and the Steelhead
The carvings on this bench depict a story from the Salish people of the northwestern United States and British Columbia, Canada. The story teaches respect for natural cycles, represented by the salmon’s annual migration upriver from the sea to . . . — Map (db m77878) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Bethesda Meeting House
Bethesda Meeting House Founded 1820 – Rebuilt 1850 Placed by Margaret Whetten Chapter National Society Daughters of American Revolution October 28, 1979Map (db m77717) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Cemetery of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church
The Bethesda Meeting House was erected on this site in 1820. The original sanctuary was destroyed by fire. A second edifice was built in 1850 about 100 yards south of the cemetery. In 1926 the church was moved to its present location at Wilson Lane . . . — Map (db m78047) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Col. Guilford Dudley Bailey — The Fallen Union Officer for Whom the Battery Was Named
[Panel 1] Born June 4, 1834, in Martinsburg, New York, this 1856 West Point graduate returned to his alma mater as an instructor following a tour of duty in the west and midwest. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Bailey organized the First . . . — Map (db m17695) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Five Points, Historic Crossroads
This commemorative site known as "Five Points," has been used as a commercial crossroads for almost 300 years. Its name was derived from the old Indian trails which are now merged and identified as Edgemoor Lane, Wisconsin Avenue, East West Highway . . . — Map (db m84) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Fort Sumner
Forts Alexander, Ripley and Franklin, built to protect the Washington water system in 1861, were connected by earthworks in 1863 and renamed Ft. Sumner to honor Maj. Gen. Edwin V. Sumner, A hero of Antietam. The fort’s 28 cannon providea a . . . — Map (db m3448) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — From Trolley to TrailA Brief History
After the Civil War, America's cities created new transportation systems that enabled them to prosper and grow. During this time, major rail lines were built to connect Washington, D.C. with other cities. Smaller electric streetcar or 'trolley' . . . — Map (db m116775) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Home of Samuel Wade Magruder1728-1792
. . . — Map (db m72752) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Lockhouse 6Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
From its inception the vision of the C&O Canal has evolved, constantly finding ways to be relevant. Built in 1829, Lockhouse 6 stands a mile upstream from Little Falls, site of the canal's July 4th groundbreaking the previous year. Lockhouse 6 . . . — Map (db m112119) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Locust Grove
Locust Grove, the home of Lucy Beall, Daughter of George, and of Her Husband Samuel Wade Magruder, a local leader in the Revolutionary War, was built around 1770. Located near Montgomery Mall Shopping Plaza (at the intersection of Westlake Terrace . . . — Map (db m72958) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — 12 — Madonna of the Trail
(East Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days. (North Face) This the first military road in America beginning at Rock Creek and Potomac River, Georgetown, Maryland, leading our pioneers across . . . — Map (db m18437) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — National Naval Medical Center — [Walter Reed National Military Medical Center]
Panel at main entrance: National Naval Medical Center Tower and View has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [1978] Cornerstone inscription at main entrance, . . . — Map (db m70906) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — National Naval Medical Center in the 1940’s
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt selected this site on July 5, 1938. At the time, the site was a cabbage patch on a run down farm. This property was originally part of the “Clagetts’ Purchase” recorded in 1715. The original 772 acre . . . — Map (db m61969) HM WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Old Georgetown Road
Part of Old Georgetown Road Was once an Indian trail going from what is now Wisconsin Avenue to the Potomac River. In 1806, The Maryland Assembly created the Washington Turnpike Company to improve the Georgetown-Frederick Road. — Map (db m73385) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Old Spring House & Pool of Bethesda
Originally, the grounds of the National Naval Medical Center was a rural farm with a small pond fed by a natural spring. The picture to the right is the original spring house located on the property. the pool and the tiny stream reminded the . . . — Map (db m75845) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — President Franklin D. Rooseveltdedicated the NIH Bethesda campus — on this site, October 31, 1940
"The National Institute of Health speaks the universal language of humanitarianism. It has been devoted throughout its long and distinguished history to furthering the health of all mankind....In dedicating this Institute, I dedicate it to the . . . — Map (db m67765) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Raven and the Sun
The carvings on this bench depict a story from the Salish people of the northwestern United States and British Columbia, Canada. The story explains how Raven delivered the sun, moon, stars, and fire to humanity. These treasures are necessary for . . . — Map (db m77864) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Robert W. Leibling
In loving memory of Robert W. Leibling, Husband, Father, WWII Captain, Community Leader, Executive. 1923–2000. Robert W. Lebling gave to the community with passion, just as he loved his family and friends. Highly respected for his civic . . . — Map (db m85) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad
In 1890, the Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad ran along Old Georgetown Road to Bethesda Park, a favorite amusement spot in the area. The park entrance was located on the corner of what is now Old Georgetown Road and Sonoma Road. — Map (db m73284) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Centennial AnchorOctober 16, 1987
This centennial anchor, originally from a Coast Guard cutter, rested for many years in front of the Staten Island Marine Hospital where the National Institutes of Health began in 1887 with the founding of the Hygienic Laboratory. It was presented to . . . — Map (db m69105) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Church that Named a Community
The Church that Named a Community was built on this site in 1820 and called Bethesda House of Mercy. The entire district came to be called by that name. The community of Bethesda is known the world over as a center of Healing. This . . . — Map (db m77895) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Georgetown Branch Railroad
The Capital Crescent Trail follows the route of an old railroad line called the Georgetown Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O). It's all that remains of an unrealized attempt by the B&O to construct a major rail link between the . . . — Map (db m83) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Linden Oak- 1976 -
Known locally as "The Linden Oak," this white oak tree (Quercus alba) is the fourth largest of its species in the state of Maryland and the largest in Montgomery County. How it came to be called "The Linden Oak" is unknown. Recognized in the . . . — Map (db m22317) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Louis Stokes Laboratories
By Act of Congress This building is designated as the (sic) The Louis Stokes Laboratories Congressman Louis Stokes served as a distinguished member of the United States Congress for 30 years, representing his native state of Ohio. He was . . . — Map (db m68454) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education
Mary Woodward Lasker (1900-1994), with her husband Albert, founded the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation in 1942 to deepen the national commitment to medical science, and to raise awareness of extraordinary basic and clinical research discoveries . . . — Map (db m73073) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Walter Reed Memorial
The 1903 Walter Reed Memorial Association's vision for a memorial in honor of Major Walter Reed was finally realized on 21 November 1966 on the ground of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC. After the center's closure on 15 September . . . — Map (db m75846) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Washington and Glen Echo Railroad
From 1891 to 1900, the Glen Echo Railroad Company, later known as the Washington and Glen Echo Railroad, operated a trolley line through what is now Willard Avenue Park. This line comprised part of a series of interconnecting systems that provided . . . — Map (db m126644) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — This Complex of Buildings and Gardens
This complex of buildings and gardens stands on part of the land associated with Descendants of Ninian Beall, who came to Maryland in 1650. His son George reputedly gave his name to Georgetown which in 1752 was carved out of property he owned. — Map (db m73142) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tree of HippocratesPlantanus Orientalis
From the Greek Island of Cos, Hippocrates is said to have held classes under the parent tree. The cutting for this tree is a gift the town of Cos presented to the National Library of Medicine at the dedication of its new . . . — Map (db m62940) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tree of HippocratesPlatanus Orientalis
From the Greek Island of Cos, Hippocrates is said to have held classes under the parent tree. The gift Tree was presented by the town of Cos to the National Library of Medicine at the dedication of its new building on December 14, 1961. This . . . — Map (db m73312) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Tree of HippocratesPlatanus Orientalis
From the Greek Island of Cos, Hippocrates is said to have held classes under the parent tree. The gift Tree was presented by the town of Cos to the National Library of Medicine at the dedication of its new building on December 14, 1961. This . . . — Map (db m74964) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Walter Johnson
A champion on and off the field His Greatness An Enduring Contribution to Baseball.         Games Won ________ 414         Shut Outs __________ 113         Strike Outs ________ 3497         Opening Game Shut Outs 7 Scoreless . . . — Map (db m84499) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Walter Johnson House
This property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m84498) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Walter Reed MonumentHealing Plaza — Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Text inscribed on north face of monument: Walter Reed 1851 - 1902 Bacteriologist Research Scientist In honor of his great work in the fight for the eradication of yellow fever Text inscribed on south face of monument: . . . — Map (db m68989) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Boyds — Black Hill Gold Mine
Several pits for the mining of gold formerly existed in Black Hill Regional Park. A result of gold mining fever in Montgomery County between 1850 and 1950. In this open pit extraction site, miners used simple picks and shovels. Ore containing gold . . . — Map (db m67980) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Boyds — To Honor the Memory of George A, (Jay) Chadwick Jr.November 20, 1911 - July 20, 2001
In 1946 Mr. George A. (Jay) Chadwick, Jr. bought the Gold Mine Farm which now makes up a large part of Black Hill Regional Park. He cleared the property of brush and Fieldstone for a dairy farm which was operated for many years. This beautiful stone . . . — Map (db m90477) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — A RefugeUnited States Capital for a Day — Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Many Washington residents fleeing the British invasion in August 1814 converged on this quiet village. Brookeville also provided a haven for hungry soldiers as they headed for Baltimore following the American Defeat at Bladensburg. On . . . — Map (db m76403) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Bentley HouseUnited States Capital for a Day — War of 1812 Bicentennial Brookeville Maryland— —August 26, 1814 - August 26, 2014
Erected in ca. 1798, the Federal style Bentley House was the first substantial structure to be built in Brookeville. In 1814 it was the home of Caleb and Henrietta Bentley. Caleb was the town's first postmaster and merchant, and the house includes a . . . — Map (db m76398) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Briggs HouseWar of 1812 Bicentennial — United States Capital for a Day
The Briggs House was built in 1803 for Hanna Brooke Briggs and her husband Isaac Briggs, who were still living here in 1814. The Briggses also owned a house and farm known as Sharon in Sandy Spring. Hannah, a devout Quaker, married Isaac Briggs . . . — Map (db m114393) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — BrookevillePrisoners Paroled
On June 28, 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart left Rockville with three cavalry brigades, 125 captured Union supply wagons, and more than 400 military and civilian prisoners, arriving in Brookeville that night. At every opportunity, prisoners . . . — Map (db m366) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Brookeville AcademyWar of 1812 Bicentennial — Brookeville, Maryland
The Brookeville Academy was founded in 1810 by the town's leading citizens and built largely with donated materials. The building began as a one-story structure that was raised to two stories in 1834. The Academy provided a well-rounded education . . . — Map (db m114387) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Brookeville Angel
Sculptor Stefan Saal created the Brookeville Angel over a three-month period in 1994 from a white oak tree (Quercus alba) located on the east side of Georgia Avenue (Rt. #97) south of town. "Father Don" (Donald Van Alstyne) of the Marian Fathers . . . — Map (db m368) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Brookeville Schoolhouse
The Brookville Schoolhouse sits upon land purchased for $300 in 1865, four years after the Maryland General Assembly established the Montgomery County public school system. At some subsequent point, the school began operation as a traditional . . . — Map (db m114395) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Gassaway House
The Gassaway House was built about 1804 for Samuel and Anne Leeke. Brice John Gassaway purchased it in 1812 and he and his wife Dinah and two of their seven grown children were living here in 1814. Brice, a retired gentleman farmer from western . . . — Map (db m114392) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Historic Brookeville
Welcome to Historic Brookeville. Founded 1794. United States Capitol for a Day. August 26, 1814. Incorporated 1808. — Map (db m3565) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — In This House
In this house August 26-27, 1814, President James Madison and Richard Rush, Attorney General, were sheltered after the burning by the British of the public buildings at Washington August 24-25, 1814. — Map (db m364) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Madison House
On August 26, 1814 this house provided shelter for President Madison and his official party during the British burning of the federal buildings in Washington, D.C. in the War of 1812. The following day, August 27th, the Secretary of State James . . . — Map (db m365) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Margaret Brooke HouseWar of 1812 Bicentennial — United States Capital for a Day
One of the four federal style masonry houses that were standing in Brookeville in 1814, this house was built by real estate investor Caleb Pancoast about 1806 and sold shortly thereafter. In 1814 it was home of Margaret Brooke, the unmarried . . . — Map (db m114388) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Mills in the Upcounty
The streams of Montgomery County's Piedmont Region run faster and deeper than those of the Coastal Plain. Steam power fueled the early industrial age in Montgomery County in the late-18th and 19th centuries. Mills along the Hawlings River stream . . . — Map (db m114415) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Murphy HouseWar of 1812 Bicentennial — United States Capital for a Day
Greenbury Murphy, Brookeville's first blacksmith, built this exceptionally fine Federal style house about 1807, financing its construction and that of a blacksmith shop with a mortgage from local merchant Caleb Bentley. The brick house, a . . . — Map (db m114389) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Newlin’s Mill
In 1800, Thomas Moore, Jr. and his wife, Mary Brooke Moore sold to David Newlin four acres inherited from Mrs. Moore's father, Roger Brooke IV, described as "standing below Newlin's Mill dam". Initially, Newlin operated an oil mill on this site, . . . — Map (db m369) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Newlin’s Mill Millstone
Newlin's Mill was located on the west side of Brookeville in the vicinity of Brookeville Road and Market Street (Route 97) and was operated from the early 19th century to the early 20th century. This versatile mill sawed lumber, pressed oil from . . . — Map (db m367) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Oakley Cabin
This log structure, acquired as part of Reddy Branch Stream Valley Park, was once part of Oakley Farm. Built before or just after emancipation, the cabin is representative of slave or tenant housing and is a rare surviving example. Reddy Branch, . . . — Map (db m5415) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Our Agricultural Heritage
Until World War II, Montgomery County's economy and landscape were primarily agricultural. The American Indian tribes of the county grew corn, squash, and beans on their villages near streams. The earliest settlers from Europe grew tobacco for . . . — Map (db m114417) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — The Miller's CottageUnited States Capital for a Day — War of 1812 Bicentennial Brookeville Maryland— —August 26, 1814 - August 26, 2014
Known as the Miller's House, this modest stone structure was likely built by the town's founder Richard Thomas, Jr. in the 1790s for the operator of his mill, which stood adjacent to this house, along Reedy Branch of the Hawlings River. The house . . . — Map (db m76416) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — The Moore CottageWar of 1812 Bicentennial — United States Capital for a Day
The Moore built this worker's cottage, probably in the late 1790s. Moore was married to Mary Brooke, one of Deborah Thomas's sisters, and the Moores lived on a farm adjacent to Brookeville. Moore was a farmer, inventor, engineer and entrepreneur . . . — Map (db m114390) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — The Rachel Carson Greenway
In 2004, this trail corridor was named in honor of the mother of the modern environmental movement, Rachel Carson. When complete, the Rachel Carson Greenway Trail will be 25 miles long, connecting the Anacostia Trail System in Prince George's . . . — Map (db m114413) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Thomas House SiteWar of 1812 Bicentennial — United States Capital for a Day
Richard Thomas, Jr. and his wife, Deborah Brooke Thomas, the founders of the town of Brookeville, built their large frame house here ca. 1801. In 1814, they were living here with their five children. The town was established on land that Deborah . . . — Map (db m114394) HM WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Town of BrookevilleTown of Brookeville, Maryland — United States Capital for a Day August 26, 1814
Town of Brookeville National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m114420) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Valley Mill HouseWar of 1812 Bicentennial — United States Capital for a Day
The original section of what is known as the Valley Mill House (on the right) consisted of a single-story, one-room stone cottage with a large open hearth and stair to a sleeping loft. David Newlin built it about 1800, adjacent to his mill . . . — Map (db m114391) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookmont — A Canal Home
“When I was 7, we moved [to the] lock, and we were very happy. My mother was so happy to have a home; she was just about wild. And we did love it here, as a locktender, you know?” —Lavenia Cross Waskey The . . . — Map (db m112121) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookville — August 26, 1814
In this village President Madison and members of his official family found refuge in the home of Caleb Bentley, first Postmaster of Brookeville, following the burning of the Capitol and the White House by the British army. Many other refugees from . . . — Map (db m363) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — At All Hours
It Shall be the duty, at all hours, by night as well as day, to pass all boats and floats presenting themselves at their locks. — Charles Mercer, President, C&O Canal Company Every time his boat passed through a lock, a boat captain . . . — Map (db m103222) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — Cabin John
[ Panel 1] “... in our midst exists one of the most imposing and wonderful structures which engineering skill could devise ...” --William T.S. Curtis, November 1, 1897, from a paper read before the Columbia Historical Society. . . . — Map (db m22636) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — Drop Gate Locks
The “drop gate” on this lift lock was a technological advance over the more common swing-gate lock. It was faster and could be more easily operated by a single employee. Only a few drop-gates were installed on the canal, most of . . . — Map (db m103200) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — Lockhouse 10Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
After being neglected for nearly a decade, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal received new life with the New Deal programs in the late 1930s. Two African American Civilian Conservation Corps camps were setup at nearby Cabin John and Carderock to restore . . . — Map (db m105328) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — Swing-Gate Locks
Most canal locks were "swing-gate" locks, opened by pulling or pushing long balance beams that projected from the gates. Stone for the Seven Locks (locks 7 through 14) was cut and finished by stonemasons who were paid by the "piece." Arrows, . . . — Map (db m125187) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — The Lock-Keepers
A long blast on a tin horn followed by the boatman's shout of "Hey-ey-ey! Lock! Aw, Lock!" summoned the lock-keeper to duty. Lock-keepers were hired to "attend constantly and diligently by day and night," during the nine month boating season. They . . . — Map (db m125189) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Clean Drinking Manor
This Spring is on the site of Clean Drinking, a land grant surveyed for Col. John Courts in 1699. Descendants of Courts, the Jones family, lived at nearby Clean Drinking Manor for many years. Placed by the National Society of the Colonial Dames . . . — Map (db m61517) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Colonel Joseph Belt
. . . — Map (db m70204) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 7
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Place 1791 - 92 Protected by Patriots' Memorial Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1965 — Map (db m73831) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 9
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed - 1791 - 1792 Protected by the Margaret Whetten Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m78776) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — The 4-H Club Pledge
I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living, for my club, my community my country and my world. Responding to the 1918 national contest, Otis Hall, . . . — Map (db m116017) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — W.K. Kellogg HallNational 4-H Center
W.K. Kellogg Hall commemorates this breakfast cereal pioneer and his personal commitment to 4-H. It was made possible by generous contributions from the W. K. Kellogg Foundation, a major supporter of 4-H educational programs. The foundation's . . . — Map (db m116016) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Woodend
This Property Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior — Map (db m81466) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Woodend Manor House
The Woodend Manor House was designed in Georgian style by John Russell Pope in 1927, on what was once the hunting grounds for Algonquin Indians. The house was originally the residence of Chester and Marion Wells, who wanted the house to recreate the . . . — Map (db m61560) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — A Real Field of Dreams
James “Jim” Wims, who acquired this land in 1919 operated a farm with an orchard on this land. In an effort to provide a local place for his children to play ball, Jim took acrage out of crop production and converted it into the . . . — Map (db m95723) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Archaeology at Dowden's Ordinary
Artifacts from the Site Tell the Story The Dowden's Ordinary site tells archaeologists use the tools of historical archaeology to uncover rural tavern life in Montgomery County. Historical records indicated when the tavern was built, who owned . . . — Map (db m69741) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Dowden’s Ordinary
This tablet marks the site of Dowden's Ordinary Where Gen. George Edward Braddock and Col. Dunbar's Division of the Colonial and English Army made a second encampment In Maryland April 15-17, 1755 Erected by the Janet . . . — Map (db m43631) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Dowden's Ordinary: The Elephant Comes to Clarksburg
"This elephant, a female, is ten Years old, 8 feet 6 inches high. Her tusks have been broken off, but are growing again, having lengthened about an inch in the last 3 Months. . . . She takes a whip and cracks it, eats 2 Bushels of corn in [sic] the . . . — Map (db m50927) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Dowden's Ordinary: A French & Indian War Site
On April 15, 1755 a British seaman wrote in his diary:   On the 15th: Marched at 5 in our way to one Dowden's, a Publichouse ... and encamped upon very bad ground on the side of a hill. We got our tents pitched by dark when the wind shifted . . . — Map (db m43676) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Our Daily BreadThe Hyattstown Mill
In operation since 1798, Hyattstown Mill was known for its “fine stone-ground white and yellow cornmeal." Destroyed by fire in 1918, the new mill was quickly rebuilt on the old foundation and remained a crucial local business until the . . . — Map (db m99498) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Tavern Life at Dowden's Ordinary
The Role Of Taverns In early America, taverns or "ordinaries" offered food and shelter. both for travelers and their horses. The term "ordinary" originally applied to a tavern meal regulary offered at a fixed price, but later designated the . . . — Map (db m43873) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Welcome to Froggy Hollow
This area was named in honor of the large and loud frog population around Little Bennett Creek. Before Kingsley School was built, white children living on nearby. were sent to neighboring community schools. With no bus transportation, students had . . . — Map (db m95137) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Women on the Homefront in Montgomery County1861 – 1865
During the Civil War, most women attempted to live “normally,” maintaining homes, attending to children, and even taking over traditional male responsibilities on the farm. Yet the war brought severe hardships to most absent family men, . . . — Map (db m90435) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Comus — Comus Inn
This Property Is Listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior — Map (db m118337) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Comus — Mt. Ephraim CrossroadsSharpshooters Hold the Line — Antietam Campaign 1862
You are looking at Sugarloaf Mountain, where the running cavalry fight that began in the late afternoon on September 9, 1862, in Barnesville came to a halt. By the next morning, the 7th and 9th Virginia Cavalry had been brought to bay here at the . . . — Map (db m1683) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — A 19th Century CrossroadsDarnestown
The thriving crossroads community of Darnestown during the 1880s looked much different than it does today. Photographs from that time, however, help us understand what someone traveling through Darnestown might have experienced. Darnestown grew . . . — Map (db m69722) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Andrew Small AcademyDarnestown
The years following the Civil War were a booming time for Darnestown. Local residents repaired damages from the war and returned to their daily means of livelihood. Andrew Small was a C&O Canal contractor and became familiar with Darnestown during . . . — Map (db m69716) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Civil War Troops & Darnestown ResidentsThe Civil War
Military Hardships Before becoming soldiers with military spirit, the men endured a series of hardships and deprivations. Even with their close proximity to Washington D. C. the men of Banks' division suffered shortages of clothing, . . . — Map (db m69839) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Clues to the Past: Oral History and ArchaeologyThe Graveyard — Darnestown
Several recorded accounts identified that 20 to 30 individuals, including members of the Darne family, were buried here. Given the high infant mortality rates until the mid-19th century even the youngest residents of Darnestown were vulnerable to . . . — Map (db m69787) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — DarnestownConfederate Visit — Gettysburg Campaign
On June 25-27, 1863, the Federal Army of the Potomac used two temporary pontoon bridges to cross the Potomac River from Virginia back into Maryland at Edwards Ferry. On the evening and morning of June 27-28, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led 5,000 . . . — Map (db m1684) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Darnestown: A Strategic Point of DefenseThe Civil War
By the summer of 1861, the Union recognized Darnestown as an ideal location for establishing a major division headquarters. The town was strategically situated at the intersection of roads leading to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and to Washington, . . . — Map (db m69731) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Disease, Death, and Medical Discoveries During the Civil WarThe Graveyard — Darnestown
Soldiers feared bullets and bayonets on the battlfield, but the greater danger was the invisible presence of bacteria in both Union and Confederate camps. By 1865, 620,000 men were casualties of war; the bulk succumbed to communicable diseases like . . . — Map (db m69818) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Life During Encampment in Montgomery County1861 - 1865
Troops stationed in Montgomery County did not sit idle while waiting to fight. In addition to preparing for battle, they also had to combat many deprivations, including proper food, clothing and shelter. Life as a soldier was difficult on all counts . . . — Map (db m74711) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — The Civil War in DarnestownThe Civil War
Although no major battles were fought in Darnestown, major troop movements occurred throughout the war. April 13, 1861    - -  Fort Sumpter Falls April 15 1861    - -  Lincoln calls out 75,000 state militia May 3, 1861    - -   Lincoln . . . — Map (db m69981) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — The Origins of Darnestown
Darnestown Road is one of the oldest roads in Montgomery County. Once an old trail, the route dates back to 1600 when it was used by the Seneca Indians. Native Americans Established villages, planted maize, and fished along the Potomac Palisades. . . . — Map (db m69645) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — The Signal Corps and Wartime CommunicationsThe Civil War
A Signal Corps station and training camp was established near Darnestown in 1861. Signaling with flags was invented by army surgeon Albert J. Meyer and first used against the Navahos in border warfare before the Civil War. Signaling with flags . . . — Map (db m69854) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Traveler's Impressions of Montgomery County1861 - 1865
If you were a marching soldier, what would have been your impression of Montgomery County during the Civil War? While the built environment may not have impressed travelers, the variety of natural resources in this area garnered admiration. . . . — Map (db m74879) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dawsonville — White’s Ferry
. . . — Map (db m1680) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Derwood — Agricultural History Farm Park
Magruder-Bussard Farm In 1734, John Magruder established a tobacco plantation on this property. Tobacco cultivation continued with his son, Nathan and grandson, Isaac, both of whom were active patriots during the American revolution. Otho . . . — Map (db m105112) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Derwood — Bussard Farmhouse
The main house was built by Thaddeus Bussard in 1908 on the foundations of an original house that had been built by Nathan Magruder around 1778. The oldest part of the structure is the kitchen wing to the right, thought to date to the early 1800s. . . . — Map (db m105115) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Derwood — Farming and Labor in Montgomery County1861-1865
Local farmers attempted to maintain their agricultural operations despite disorder caused during the Civil War. Out of necessity, planters paid particular attention to weather and planting information provided by Almanacs and newspapers. The . . . — Map (db m105097) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Derwood — Newmantown
A small grouping of houses and outbuildings near this spot became a kinship-based community known as Newmantown. There were numerous post Civil-War African American communities in Montgomery County similar to Newmantown. There were also several Free . . . — Map (db m105151) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — 1862 Antietam CampaignLee Invades Maryland
Fresh from the victory at the Second Battle of Manassas General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia crossed the Potomac River on September 1-6, 1862, to bring the Civil War to Northern soil and to recruit sympathetic Marylanders. Union Gen. . . . — Map (db m809) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — 1862 Antietam CampaignLee Invades Maryland
Fresh from victory at the Second Battle of Manassas, Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia crossed the Potomac River on September 4-6, 1862, to bring the Civil War to Northern soil and to recruit sympathetic Marylanders. Union Gen. . . . — Map (db m76266) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. The canal and towpath are dedicated to Justice William O. Douglas of White Ferry. — Map (db m810) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Chesapeake and Ohio AqueductAcross the Monocacy River
Largest of eleven C&O aqueducts. Finished 1833, Alfred Cruger, Principal Engineer. Constructed of quartzite from Sugarloaf Mountain. It served until 1924, when after a flood, commercial operations ceased. Administered by the National Park Service. — Map (db m15016) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m808) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Historic Site [ B&O RR station]
Historic Site Montgomery County Master Plan For Historic Preservation — Map (db m4288) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Linden FarmA Living, thriving slice of Maryland history
Prior to 1840, virtually all Montgomery County farms produced tobacco and corn primary crops of the era. In 1845, the emergence of guano fertilizer allowed farmer to Introduce a new Cash crop grain which provided feed for livestock. The 1873 . . . — Map (db m86483) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Monocacy AqueductToo Tough To Crack — Antietam Campaign 1862
Confederate Gen. D. H. Hill’s division crossed the Potomac at Point of Rocks on September 4, 1862, and marched south to clear Union forces from the area. His men breached and drained the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal at several places, burned canal . . . — Map (db m65210) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Springing Over the MonocacyThe Enduring Aqueduct
Springing Over the Monocacy. Captain William McNeill of the U.S. Topographical Engineers called this aqueduct “...a work which, while it is highly ornamental, unites...in its plan and execution, ‘the true principles of economy, usefulness . . . — Map (db m714) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — The Confederate Monument
To Our Heroes of Montgomery Co. Maryland That We Through Life May Not Forget to Love The Thin Gray Line Erected A.D. 1913 1861 CSA 1865 — Map (db m106336) WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — Washington's Farm
519 acres owned 1794-1799 by the First President Thomas Sprigg, Jr., patented in 1725 as "Woodstock" 1,102 acres here, inherited in 1782 by Sprigg's three granddaughters, Sophia, Rebecca, and Elizabeth. Sophia married John Francis Mercer (later . . . — Map (db m5098) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — White’s Ferry
Before you is the last operating ferry on the Potomac River. Early settlers recognized these relatively still waters would provide an ideal location for a ferry. The first known ferry operation here was Conrad’s Ferry in 1817. After the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m741) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — White’s FerryInvasion or Liberation. — Antietam Campaign 1862
The serenity of the Maryland countryside was shattered on September 4-6, 1862, as 35,000 Confederate soldiers of the Army of Northern Virginia waded across the Potomac River. Gen. Robert E. Lee, hoping to rally support in the divided state, sent . . . — Map (db m807) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — White’s FordCrossing the Potomac — Antietam Campaign 1862
A wing of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia commanded by Gen. James Longstreet, as well as part of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry, crossed into Maryland just south of here on September 5-6, 1862. Other parts of the 40,000-man force, . . . — Map (db m812) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Dickerson — White's FordA Civil War Crossing and a Desperate Escape
During the Civil War, White's Ford on the Potomac River was employed by Confederate troops on three separate occasions. Lee's troops crossed here in their invasion of Maryland, September 4-7, 1862. General Jubal A. Early's II Corps, after an . . . — Map (db m10145) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Emery Corners — Early Blacksmith Shop
Originally a blacksmith shop, this home was built in the middle of the eighteenth century. It stands on a tract once known as “Magruder’s Honesty.” Believed to have been built by Ninian Magruder, Senior (d. 1751), it is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m916) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Forest Glen — Daniel Carroll II
In Memory of Daniel Carroll II Member Continental Congress Signer Articles of Confederation and Constitution July 22 1730 † May 7, 1796 — Map (db m109918) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Forest Glen — The National Park SeminaryHistoric District
. . . — Map (db m115821) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Forest Glen in Silver Spring — Daniel Carroll of Rock CreekJuly 22, 1730 - May 7, 1796
Near this spot was the home of Daniel Carroll, member of the Second Continental Congress and of the Federal Constitutional Convention. He was a Representative from Maryland in the first United States Congress and served as one of the three . . . — Map (db m37017) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Friendship Heights — "Oh, It's You, Welcome!"by J. Seward Johnson, Jr.
The name McAuliffe on the officer's badge honors a prominent former resident of the Village, Colonel James S. McAuliffe, Sr., who served as Montgomery County Chief of Police for 16 years and was a police officer for 42 years. Col. McAuliffe was a . . . — Map (db m123681) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — A Center of Culture and Commerce
In July of 1889, John A. Belt, a leading merchant in Gaithersburg, purchased the southwest corner of Diamond and Summit Avenues for $200. On this site, Belt built a general store with a large upstairs public room, known as Norman Hall. The building . . . — Map (db m3355) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station
Built: 1884. The Gaithersburg Railroad Station and freight house were built in 1884 as handsome replacements for the adjacent small frame structure which served as a freight depot when the Metropolitan Branch of the B & O Railroad was extended . . . — Map (db m1039) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Building The Future
The completion of the railroad and the city's incorporation in the 1870's established a solid base upon which Gaithersburg could grow and flourish. Following the City's incorporation in 1878, Henry Ward became the president of the town's . . . — Map (db m3347) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Chestnut/Meem Historic District
Designated November 17, 1997 By the City of Gaithersburg Historic District Commission Martha Meem's 200 Acres, part of the 1793 Zoar Land Grant, was further subdivided as Meem's subdivision in 1896. The district preserves late 19th and 20th . . . — Map (db m101847) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — DeSellum Family Cemetery
Gravestone Inscriptions James DeSellum // Born June 14 1773 // Died June 27 1847 // Aged 74 years // A useful citizen and sincere Christian. Cathrine DeSellum // Born July 20 1770 // Died June 20 1856 // Aged 88 years // Her . . . — Map (db m1725) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — DNC Building2013
This current building, developed by Inter-Continental Group (owned by the Blessing Family), stands on a site that has been a part of Gaithersburg's mercantile history since before 1894. This 2-story building was built circa 1915 by JL Burns and . . . — Map (db m101669) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — GaithersburgSummit Hall Farm — Gettysburg Campaign
On Sunday, June 28, 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and an estimated 5,000 cavalrymen arrived in Rockville en route to Gettysburg. Armed with a list of Union supporters, Stuart’s men planned to arrest John T. DeSellum as he left Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m1709) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Gaithersburg Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department
The completion of the railroad in the 1870's brought increasing prosperity to Gaithersburg. As the town grew so did the need for protection from the ever present dangers of fire. In September of 1892, a committee of volunteers formed the . . . — Map (db m3352) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — General Edward Braddock
General Edward Braddock in April 1755, accompanied by Gov. Horatio Sharpe of Maryland, traveled this road in a coach and six horses, on his way to Frederick, Md. to meet Benjamin Franklin and George Washington, to arrange for teams for the Fort . . . — Map (db m1012) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Goshen Mills
The original Goshen Mills consisted of a three-story brick merchant mill and a smaller frame grist mill. The facility was constructed after 1737 by Ignatius Pigman to serve this small farming community. It relied on water supplied by the Goshen . . . — Map (db m72556) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Grusendorf Log House
The Grusendorf Log House is one of a few remaining pre-Civil War structures in the Germantown/Gaithersburg area. The Cabin was relocated to its present site next to the Seneca Creek State Park Visitor Center in the 1990s to preserve it from . . . — Map (db m70455) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — History and Purpose of the Gaithersburg Latitude ObservatoryLatitude Observatory Park
The Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory was constructed in 1899 as one of the original four stations selected by the International Geodetic Association to carry out systematic observations to measure the variations in latitude cause by the Earth's . . . — Map (db m56965) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — John A. Belt Building
Built 1903. According to an 1880’s newspaper report, John A. Belt was the proprietor of the largest mercantile establishment in Montgomery County. Belt’s store and upstairs hall, known as Norman Hall, became the pivotal structure of . . . — Map (db m99502) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Night at the Gaithersburg Latitude ObservatoryLatitude Observatory Park
Each night an observer would conduct a series of tasks as they made and recorded their observations; including rotating, aligning, and leveling the telescope, taking numerous readings of stars, weather and other factors. A typical night at the . . . — Map (db m56969) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Nike Missile Local Park
This park occupies seven parcels of land in Montgomery county used by the U. S. Army for the air defense of Washington D.C. from the mid-1950's to the mid-1970's In the early days of the Cold War, the Soviet Union produced high-speed high-altitude . . . — Map (db m61671) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Pythian Temple
This building was built and occupied by Forest Oak Lodge #123, Knights of Pythias, Domain of Maryland, from October 2 1911 until November 11, 1970. The building was designed by Architect H. S. Kinsley, and was built by Hezekiah Day, General . . . — Map (db m99496) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895
The house that would one day become City Hall was built for Henry Miller, an active businessman in early Gaithersburg, and his wife Rosa. In 1913, the house was bought by Edward P. Schwartz, a Washington, DC real estate broker. Here he established a . . . — Map (db m3312) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Second Lieutenant William J. Christman, III
The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross posthumously to Second Lieutenant William J. Christman, III, United States Marine Corps Reserve, for service as set forth in the following Citation: For extraordinary . . . — Map (db m331) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Serving the Community's Health Care Needs
In 1893, Dr. Elisha C. Etchison purchased the northwest corner property at Diamond and Summit Avenues from John B. Diamond and opened a pharmacy / drug store. Although the business at this site has changed owners several times over the years, there . . . — Map (db m3354) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Summit Hall Farm
Summit Hall, a 251-acre ridge-top farm in the heart of Gaithersburg, was officially named and patented in 1857 by John T. and Sarah DeSellum. The topography and 500-foot elevation with its panoramic view has attracted settlers since colonial times . . . — Map (db m1721) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Summit Hall Farm Smokehouse
This outbuilding located on the ridge of Summit Hall Farm is treasured as the oldest complete historic structure within the City of Gaithersburg. Historically known as the smokehouse, its notched logs and chinked mortar serve as a modern day . . . — Map (db m57606) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Supplying an Agricultural Community
Gaithersburg began as an agricultural community. With the coming of the railroad in the late 1800's, markets in Washington, D. C. and Baltimore were opened to area farmers. Wheat, vegetables, fruits, meats, dairy products, and cider could be easily . . . — Map (db m3350) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Business of Agriculture:Cannery and Mills
As the area's agricultural community flourished and the railroad was introduced, Gaithersburg soon became the commercial hub of the mid-county region. The Gaithersburg town center shifted from Frederick Avenue to Diamond Avenue near the train . . . — Map (db m3349) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Chandler WobbleLatitude Observatory Park
The Chandler Wobble is a small motion in the Earth's axis of rotation relative to the Earth's surface, which was discovered by American astronomer, Seth Carlo Chandler, Jr., in 1891. It is one of several wobbling motions that the Earth undergoes as . . . — Map (db m56968) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Early Years
Before the arrival of the first European settlers, the area that is now the City of Gaithersburg was a land of dense forests and gently rolling hills. Frederick Avenue was a well-traveled path for the Piscataway and Tuscarora Indians, who hunted the . . . — Map (db m3346) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Gaithersburg School
The original Gaithersburg High School was formerly located where Gaithersburg Elementary School now stands at 35 North Summit Avenue. Built in 1904, the school initially provided two general levels of education under the same roof: an elementary . . . — Map (db m3351) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Meridian Mark Pier and Geodetic Survey MonumentsLatitude Observatory Park
The Gaithersburg International Latitude Observatory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been declared a National Historic Landmark. The designation includes the Observatory, the Meridian Mark Pier, and the five monuments. . . . — Map (db m56966) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The ObservatoryLatitude Observatory Park
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey Assistant, Edwin Smith or Rockville, Maryland, was assigned to oversee construction and operations at the Gaithersburg Observatory. Original plans for the Ukiah and Gaithersburg Observatories, prepared by the Central . . . — Map (db m56964) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Schwartz House / Gaithersburg City Hall / Schwartz Peony Garden
The building that now houses Gaithersburg's City government offices and Council chambers was originally a private residence built in 1895 by Rosa and Henry Miller. In 1913, this five-acre estate was purchased by Edward P. Schwartz, a successful . . . — Map (db m3348) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Summit Hotel
Built in 1881, the Summit Hotel was regarded as a trendy spring and summer resort for those fortunate enough to take a holiday from the hustle and bustle of Washington, D. C. The hotel was located nat the northeast corner of Summit and Frederick . . . — Map (db m3353) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Thomas CanneryGaithersburg Maryland
Historical Background of the Canning Industry: In 1812, Thomas Kensett introduced the canning process to America with a small plant in New York, which canned oysters, meats, fruits, and vegetables. However, historians generally agree that . . . — Map (db m101861) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Woodlands
The Land Francis Cassatt Clopper began assembling The Woodlands in 1812 by purchasing a patchwork of neighboring farms. An assessment of Montgomery County properties in 178 listed a variety of framed houses, log cabins, and tobacco and corn . . . — Map (db m70452) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Wells-Robertson HouseBuilt: 1885
The Wells-Robertson House is sited on land that was once part of the 1723 land grant known as Deer Park. William R. Hutton, a well-known engineer, and his heirs began dividing and selling the land during the last half of the nineteenth century. In . . . — Map (db m101668) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Garrett Park — Garrett Park Waiting Room
In 1989, this passenger waiting room was taken down from its location in Landover, MD., and brought to this site and re-assembled by the Montgomery County Conservation Corps. On behalf of the citizens of Garrett Park, the Mayor and Town Council . . . — Map (db m219) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Garrett Park — Garrett Park, MDIncorporated 1898
In 1887, the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company laid out the town, named after Robert W. Garrett, President of the B. & O. Railroad. It was to be primarily residential, a short commuter train ride to Washington, D.C. Now, over one hundred . . . — Map (db m103292) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Garrett Park — Garrett Park, Md.Incorporated 1898
In 1887, the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company laid out the town, named after Robert W. Garrett, President of the B. & O. Railroad. It was to be primarily residential, a short commuter train ride to Washington, D.C. Now, over one hundred . . . — Map (db m218) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Germantown — Liberty Mill — “Germantown Historic District 1873-1930”
“Feed the Liberty Way” was the slogan of Liberty Milling Company, mainstay of the little farming community of Germantown for many years. In its heyday, Liberty Mill put out 24,000 lbs. of flour each day and 9,000 lbs. of cornmeal each . . . — Map (db m69289) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Germantown — Railway Bed
This hill was once a railway bed, and it includes some of the last original pieces of Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad in this area. The recreated culvert built into this hill represents an original culvert that was removed during the . . . — Map (db m126712) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Germantown — Reflections of Old Germantown
This lane of trees once led to the Madeline Waters House, built by Lloyd Dorsey in 1902 (see historic marker on Wisteria Drive north of Maryland Route 118). This house was typical of villa-style homes built on the outskirts of rural railroad towns . . . — Map (db m69348) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Germantown — The Germantown Bank
The Germantown Bank was built in 1922 and was established by Augustus R. Selby, part-owner and manager of the Liberty Milling Company, and Andrew H. Baker, local entrepreneur and head of the A. H. Baker Insurance Company of Washington. Selby was . . . — Map (db m126711) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Germantown — The Musser Cemetery
This little family plot was once on the farm belonging to William Musser. William Musser came to Germantown from Lancaster County, PA as the leader of a group of migrating Germans in 1832. He was the son of George Musser & Anna Maria Graff. The . . . — Map (db m126713) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Germantown — Waters' Mill
In the 1780s, the Waters family acquired acreage known as the William and Mary tract, described in tax records as “wooded saplin land, 30 miles from Georgetown.” Around 1810 Zachariah Waters built a saw and grist mill on a portion of the . . . — Map (db m99466) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — “A riotous country jumble”Clara Barton National Historic Site
Clara Barton's property was a reflection of her personality: practical, thrifty, and just a bit eccentric. Visitors to her home frequently commented on the utilitarian grounds filled with fruit trees and rows of vegetables instead of formal gardens. . . . — Map (db m103973) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — 1921
The Coaster Dips came to the park in 1921. Higher climbs and deeper dips added over the next 48 years guaranteed the ride remained a favorite. The roller coaster was dismantled after the park closed in 1968. — Map (db m3214) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — 1921
The Dentzel carousel came to the park in 1921 as a replacement for a smaller carousel. Built in the Philadelphia style, the hand-carved, wooden animals create a menagerie type featuring rabbits, ostriches, a giraffe, a lion, a tiger and a deer in . . . — Map (db m3224) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — A Heroine's Home
Beyond the trees stands a Victorian House as unique as its owner. This house was built for Clara Barton in 1891 by Edward and Edwin Baltzley as part of the National Chautauqua at Glen Echo. With 30 rooms serving as offices, bedrooms, and storage, . . . — Map (db m45000) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — A Life of Service(Clara Barton)
"You have never known me without work; while able, you never will." —Clara Barton Clara Barton lived a life that transcended limitations. She built a career of humanitarian service in a society that did not grant her full rights . . . — Map (db m45245) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — A Trolley Returns to Glen Echo
Development of Trolleys. Electric trolleys were introduced to the United States in 1888 in Richmond, Virginia, and quickly became the predominant mode of public transportation used throughout the first third of the 20th century. These vehicles . . . — Map (db m306) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — c. 1926
Known in the 1920’s as The Skooter and in the 1930’s as the Dodgem, Glen Echo Park’s bumper car ride was one of the first in any amusement park in the world. The Art Deco facade was added in the 1930’s. Today’s rehabilitated Bumper Car . . . — Map (db m3230) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — c. 1931
In the midst of the Great Depression, the Crystal Pool provided a haven. It was big enough for 3,000 swimmers and featured a sand beach. The Art Deco style of the pool became Glen Echo’s new look. — Map (db m3229) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Clara Barton HouseRegistered National Historic Landmark
Clara Barton House has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m70672) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Civil Rights Protest
On June 30, 1960 African Americans Gwendolyn Greene (Britt), William Griffin, Michael Proctor, Marvous Saunders and Cecil Washington Jr. were arrested when they attempted to ride Glen Echo Park's Dentzel Carousel and were charged with trespassing on . . . — Map (db m30484) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo From Past to Present
For more than 100 years this land, now Glen Echo Park, has been dedicated to the people: first in 1891 as a National Chautauqua Assembly, a center where people could participate in the sciences, arts, languages, and literature; second in 1899 as a . . . — Map (db m380) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Park c. 1930
The entrance to Glen Echo Park has undergone many changes. The 1940 art deco design has been restored, but prior entrances included a stone entrance in the 1890's with the early trolley lines in front and the 1911 entrance, which featured numerous . . . — Map (db m5754) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Park: Aerial View c. 1954
Among the familiar structures in this aerial photo are old attractions - the Fun House, Coaster Dips, Crystal Pool, and Flying Scooter. Still present in the park today are the Ballroom, the Arcade and the Dentzel Carousel as well as other smaller . . . — Map (db m5752) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Park: Chautaugua c. 1891
The Chautaugua Program at Glen Echo opened June 16, 1891 and offered classes and lectures in all areas of the liberal and practical arts. The education program ran for only one year, but the buildings were used by the amusement park for decades. The . . . — Map (db m5753) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Park: Protest Years 1960
On June 30, 1960 local university students and citizens began a sit-in confrontation and picket line to challenge the long-standing segregation policies at the Park. Their efforts succeeded in 1961 when the Park's private owner, Rekab, Inc., finally . . . — Map (db m5750) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Park: Spanish Ballroom c. 1943
Social dancing has been an important attraction at Glen Echo since the 1890's. The Spanish Garden Ballroom, built in 1933 in the Spanish Mission Revival style of architecture, boasted a 7,000 square-foot maple dance floor, colorful columns and red . . . — Map (db m5751) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo Park’s Crystal Pool
For the trolley parks of the 1900’s, pools were important, lucrative attractions. They provided a place for people to swim without having to travel the long miles to the beach. One such pool, Kennywood Park Pool in Pittsburgh, opened in 1925 and was . . . — Map (db m3227) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — Glen Echo’s Art Deco Arcade
Beginning in 1940, a new Art Deco arcade was added to Glen Echo park. Designed by the firm of Edward Schoeppe of Philadelphia, also the chief architect of the Crystal Pool and Spanish Ballroom, the arcade was constructed in stages from 1940 to . . . — Map (db m3231) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — The Changing Face of Glen Echo
Lost Attractions. From its beginnings as a National Chautauqua to its years as an amusement park, Glen Echo has experienced countless changes. Some of the old Glen Echo Park remains, but much of it has not survived. Many old amusements, like . . . — Map (db m3228) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — The Clara Barton House
Early headquarters of the American Red Cross and home of Clara Barton, founder and First President, who lived here until her death in 1912. Located just south of this marker, the house had an unusual interior of Steamboat Gothic design with railed . . . — Map (db m303) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — The Clara Barton TrailClara Barton National Historic Site
Did you know a heroine lived right here in Glen Echo, Maryland? Fearless, selfless. and determined, Clara Barton dedicated her life to helping others. Know as the “Angel of the Battlefield” during the Civil War and founder of the . . . — Map (db m104015) HM

473 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 273
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.