Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Archwood (Samuel Rexinger House) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2015
Archwood (Samuel Rexinger House)
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 53 — Archwood
Originally known as the Rexinger House, Archwood was built in 1878 by Samuel Rexinger, a former postmaster of Clarksville (1867-1883). In 1965, the private residence was sold to the State of Tennessee and became the property of Austin Peay State . . . — Map (db m88872) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Arlington Hotel
The Arlington Hotel, a three story brick building built in 1887, once occupied the northeast corner of this parking garage, fronting on North Second Street. Streetcars passed this modern hotel every fifteen minutes and porters from the Arlington, as . . . — Map (db m122973) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 50 — Austin Peay
Born near Hopkinsville, Kentucky, on June 1, 1876, he moved to Clarksville in 1896. Governor Peay practiced law here until he was elected governor in 1922. He was re-elected in 1924 and again in 1926 and served until he died in Nashville on October . . . — Map (db m88860) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 16 — Austin Peay State University
Established in 1926 as a normal school named for one of Tennessee's governors, its present title dates from 1966. The seven educational institutions preceding it here were: Rural Academy, 1806-10; Mt. Pleasant Academy, 1811-24; Clarksville Academy, . . . — Map (db m88880) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Battle of Riggins HillFight for Control
In mid-August 1862, Confederate cavalry recaptured Clarksville to disrupt Union transportation on the Cumberland River to Nashville and to gather new recruits and supplies. Early in September, Union Col. William W. Lowe led 1,100 men including . . . — Map (db m68651) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 52 — Bethel Meeting House
In 1812 pioneer preachers Peter Cartwright, Henry B. Bascom, and Thomas A. Morris preached to area settlers in a log structure at this site. Tradition has it that the Bell Witch attended a service here and at a meeting later that night quoted the . . . — Map (db m103548) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Bringing the War to Clarksville
The Confederates The Confederate Engineers
Major Jeremy Gilmer and Edward Sayers A West Point-trained engineer from South Carolina, Gilmer was tasked by General Johnston to erect defenses in . . . — Map (db m91998) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Building Fort Sevier (Defiance)
Throughout history forts have been built to protect important sites. Civil War-era forts were generally masonry for seacoast fortifications. Earthen forts were predominant at inland locations, including Forts Donelson and Sevier . . . — Map (db m92015) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 62 — Cave Johnson1793 - 1866
Cave Johnson served as a member of the first board of alderman of Clarksville which was incorporated in 1820. As a U.S. Representative from the state's Eighth District, he served in the Congress from 1829 to 1845. In 1845, under President James . . . — Map (db m88856) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 73 — Clarence Cameron White
Dr. Clarence Cameron White, born in Clarksville, Tennessee, rose to international prominence as a violinist, composer, educator and conductor. He studied composition with Samuel Coleridge-Taylor and violin with Michael Zacherewitsch. White taught at . . . — Map (db m88867) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Clarksville in the Civil WarChanging Hands
Clarksville, a communication and transportation center was strategically significant because of the Cumberland River and the Memphis, Clarksville and Louisville Railroad. The area’s rich agricultural produce—grain, livestock, tobacco, and . . . — Map (db m68639) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Dog HillArchitectural District & Spur Line Park
The Spur Line Park was conceived to preserve and enhance a portion of a historic area within the city and interpret its unique connection with rail and water transportation. The development of railroad and river commerce was essential to . . . — Map (db m122959) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 14 — Emerald Hill
Here was the home of Gustavus Henry (1804-1880). For three years a member of the Kentucky Legislature, he later served a term in the Tennessee Assembly. He represented Tennessee in the Senate of the Confederate States of America during the entire . . . — Map (db m54963) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — First Court House
This stone commemorates First Court House A rude log house on Public Square 1788 - 1811 The Old Stockade Southwest from this point — Map (db m68640) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Fort DefianceDefending the River
These are the remnants of Union Fort Bruce. In September 1861, the Confederate defense line in the western theatre extended from Columbus Kentucky, to Cumberland Gap in East Tennessee. It included most of the Cumberland River and protected the . . . — Map (db m91997) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Fort Defiance Interpretive CenterCity of Clarksville, Tennessee
The history of Clarksville unfolded on this site. Recipients of land grants from the American Revolution built settlements along the Cumberland and Red Rivers and with them, came early trade. As the Civil War moved closer, Clarksville, with its . . . — Map (db m92027) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Forts Versus Ironclads
The Confederate response to Union gunboats on the western rivers was to build a series of forts. The better forts were built on higher ground allowing for "plunging fire" upon Union ships. Forts Sevier, Clark, and Terry in Clarksville were . . . — Map (db m92018) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Freedmen's Camp and the USCT
Wars generate refugees, and the Civil War was no exception. After Union forces took control of Clarksville and New Providence in early 1863 many escaped slaves and a few uprooted white Unionists came here for protection and assistance. They . . . — Map (db m92026) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Freedom Light
Dedicated to those patriots who lit the flame of freedom with their lives and to those who continue to fuel the flame with selfless sacrifice and service to our country. May this light lead them home. — Map (db m107594) WM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 63 — Horace H. Lurton1844-1914
Horace H. Lurton was a Confederate soldier, prisoner of war, lawyer, and the first president of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank. A member of the Tennessee Supreme Court, in 1893 he became its Chief Justice. Appointed by President Grover . . . — Map (db m88881) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — In Memory of Colonel Valentine Sevier
First settler of Clarksville Tenn. and his four sons three of whom were killed in 1792 and one in 1794 by the Indians and to other pioneers of this county who lost their lives in this manner. — Map (db m122965) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — John Montgomery Statue
This statue honors John Montgomery, for whom Montgomery County is named. While on a long hunters' expedition, Montgomery claimed Clarksville, Tennessee’s second oldest city, so named for Gen. George Rogers Clark — Map (db m82304) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 13 — Kennedy & Glenn's Bank
This private bank was founded in a brick building on the west side of the Public Square in April 1854, and shortly thereafter incorporated as the Northern Bank of Tennessee. During the War Between the States its funds and securities were smuggled to . . . — Map (db m88868) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Legion Street
In the early 1920's, the area from Public Square to Second Street known as Strawberry Alley, was widened and extended to Third Street and the area designated Legion Street to honor the veterans of World War I. In 2008, under the leadership of Mayor . . . — Map (db m103549) HM WM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Life as a Garrisoned Union Soldier
It has often been said of the Civil War soldier that life consisted of moments of sheer terror followed by months of sheer boredom. For the garrisoned soldier, it tended more towards boredom. For many Union garrisons occupying Clarksville, . . . — Map (db m92021) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 69 — Montgomery County Courthouse
The Montgomery County Courthouse was erected in 1878-79 after fire destroyed the courthouse of 1843. In 1900 the courthouse was damaged by fire but was rebuilt. In 1999 an F3 tornado struck Clarksville, severely damaging the courthouse. The interior . . . — Map (db m88866) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Montgomery County Soldiers And Sailors World War I Monument
In honor of Montgomery County's Soldiers and Sailors, World War 1917-1918 World War I Doughboy Dedicated June 9, 1929 Restored and re-dedicated by the City of Clarksville, April 15, 2010 To those who fell and those who served: . . . — Map (db m106096) WM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 49 — Old Post House
Located at Oak Grove, midway between Clarksville and Hopkinsville, Kentucky, the Old Post Office served as a stop for the triweekly stagecoaches which operated between Nashville and the Ohio River towns. This building was erected in the 1830's or . . . — Map (db m76463) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 18 — Pioneer Newspaper
  First launched as a weekly under the name of The Chronicle by Francis Richardson in 1808, it merged with its younger rival, The Tobacco Leaf, at an unknown later date. It is believed to be middle Tennessee's oldest newspaper. — Map (db m89078) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Recapture of ClarksvilleConfederate Occupation
On August 18, 1862, Union-occupied Clarksville came under attack from Confederate forces to disrupt river traffic. The town was still very much a pro-Confederate hotbed of guerilla activity and the focus of Confederate cavalry raids. Confederate . . . — Map (db m68636) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 55 — Riverview Cemetery
Men of all American wars are interred here on land once owned by Valentine Sevier (1747-1800), who was the first person buried here. Many pioneers and 19th century citizens, including Revolutionary War soldier Robert Nelson, are buried here. One . . . — Map (db m76512) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 51 — Robert Loftin Newman — (1827-1912)
Born in Richmond, Virginia, Newman moved with his family to Clarksville when he was eleven. He studied art in New York, England, and France. Nationally recognized for his work, over 190 of his paintings have been located. Newman served as a . . . — Map (db m88871) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Sevier Station
The site of this historic stone structure, in addition to nearby Fort Defiance and a large portion of present-day New Providence, encompasses a 640-acre Revolutionary land grant purchased by early Tennessee settler Valentine Sevier. Sevier founded a . . . — Map (db m89075) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Site of Montgomery County College
1848 Montgomery Masonic College First Institution for Higher Learning in Montgomery Co. 1855 Stewart College — Map (db m89081) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 59 — Smith-Trahern Mansionc. 1859
This mansion was built by Christopher H. Smith noted tobacco exporter and businessman. The home reflects the style between Greek Revival and Italianate popular in the 1850's. It is believed that architect Adolphus Heiman designed the building. The . . . — Map (db m76510) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 79 — St. John Missionary Baptist Church
Founded by the Tennessee Freedman's Bureau. St. John Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1866 on the corner of Ford and St. John Street in a small house with a small congregation of formerly enslaved persons. Its first pastor, Henry Wilcox, . . . — Map (db m104735) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Surrender of ClarksvilleUnion Occupation
In the mid-afternoon of February 19, 1862, Flag Officer Andrew H. Foote, aboard his flagship, the timber-clad gunship USS Conestoga, passed Linwood Landing around the bend of the Cumberland River a mile and a half north of here. The ironclad . . . — Map (db m68648) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 56 — The John T. Cunningham Memorial Bridge
The Cunningham Bridge, completed in 1925, once spanned the Cumberland River here. Erected on the site of the old Gaiser's Ferry. It was one of the first bridges to be built by the newly-formed Tennessee Highway Department and was the first major . . . — Map (db m30746) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Tobacco Trade and the Rivers
In the 1780s, the first land grant of 640 acres was made for this area north of the Red River. The stretch of the Cumberland River from Red River Landing to Trice's Landing played a crucial role in the region's economic development. Local farmers . . . — Map (db m122970) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Town of Cumberland
The Town of Cumberland (1810-1843) was sited at the, confluence of the Cumberland and Red Rivers as a projected river port for farming communities north of the Red River. It began as a keelboat landing slightly up the Red River to serve the original . . . — Map (db m122968) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 70 — Town Spring
This is the site of the town spring that was the source of water for early Clarksville. In 1784 the city founders erected a fort and laid out the town. Later, the spring was capped and diverted to the Cumberland River. It was uncapped briefly during . . . — Map (db m76464) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Trice's Landing
Established by Trice family in 1832 as a river front shipping point to serve area farmers and merchants. — Map (db m89072) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 71 — Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Parish Church, founded in 1832, is one of the five oldest Episcopal parishes in Tennessee. This Romanesque building was completed in 1877, at a cost of $40,000. Cave Johnson (1793-1866), U.S. Postmaster General; Gustavus A. Henry . . . — Map (db m88870) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 46 — Valentine Sevier Station
Two hundred yards south is the stone blockhouse of the Valentine Sevier Station. On November 11, 1794, this early outpost was attacked by an Indian band composed primarily of Cherokees. Valentine Sevier, a brother of Tennessee's first governor, lost . . . — Map (db m88857) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Valentine Sevier, Memorial
Col. Valentine Sevier, defender of the early settlers of this community, on July 11, 1792 purchased from George Cook, for the sum of 100 pounds, 640 acres, lying between this point and Cumberland and Red Rivers, known as Red Paint . . . — Map (db m89073) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Whitfield, Bradley & Co.
When the war began, the South had few ironworks capable of producing cannons. Confederate Chief of Ordnance Josiah Gorgas noted that "we were not making a gun, a pistol nor a sabre, no shot nor shell." Soon, however, Clarksville's Whitfield, Bradley . . . — Map (db m122955) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 17 — Willie Blount
This statesman settled 2 mi. N., 1802. Born 1768, was secretary to the governor, Territory South of the River Ohio, later a judge in the state's first Superior Court of Law & Equity. Elected governor after a term in the Legislature, he served six . . . — Map (db m29872) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 68 — Wilma Glodean Rudolph1940 - 1994
Born on June 23, 1940, Wilma G. Rudolph, a native of Clarksville, overcame illness, poverty and segregation to become an Olympic champion sprinter. A graduate of Burt High School, she won a bronze medal in the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, . . . — Map (db m88882) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Hampton Station — 3C 40 — Camp Boone
Here in 1861 was established a staging area and training camp for Kentuckians desiring to enlist for the Confederacy. An early camp commander was Brig. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner, CSA. Col. (later Brig. Gen.) Roger W. Hanson brought here a regiment . . . — Map (db m36111) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.