Jesse Owens track career started in high school when one day in gym class, the students were timed in the 60-yard dash. Coach Charlie Riley saw the raw, yet natural talent that young Jesse had and immediately invited him to run for the track team. . . . — Map (db m80943) HM
Decatur played a key role in the Federal defenses of the vital rail lines in North Alabama. These defenses were configured in a three-tiered system. First, a number of lightly armored gunboats, constructed on the Tennessee River and nicknamed . . . — Map (db m86476) HM
The Decatur crossing of the Tennessee River was used extensively by Union forces. In the Fall of 1863, elements of Major General William T. Sherman’s Army of the Tennessee passed through Decatur on their way from Vicksburg to Chattanooga. Union . . . — Map (db m86477) HM
As Hood’s Army of Tennessee encircled Decatur, sharpshooters advanced upon the Union defenses. Colonel Doolittle’s men responded with heavy artillery and musket fire. During the early afternoon of October 27, the Confederates approached the Federal . . . — Map (db m28241) HM
As sharpshooting and artillery fire continued throughout the morning of October 28, Granger and Doolittle determined to launch an attack upon the Confederate battery at the edge of the Tennessee River, whose fire threatened the critical pontoon . . . — Map (db m86478) HM
Alabama Territorial Legislature created this county in 1818 from lands ceded by Cherokee Indians in 1816. County first named Cotaco, for large creek in county. Named Morgan County in 1821 for Maj. Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary hero, winner over . . . — Map (db m27759) HM
On Jan. 11, 1887, the Decatur Land Improvement and Furnace Company, Inc. was formed under the leadership of E. C. Gordon, C.C. Harris and W.W. Littlejohn. With a capital investment of $7,500,000, the company purchased 5600 acres of land, including . . . — Map (db m86479) HM
The Battle of Decatur, Oct. 26-29, 1864, was the result of Confederate Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood's effort to move his army across the Tennessee River and into central Tennessee in an attempt to reclaim Nashville. The engagement occurred as part of . . . — Map (db m91145) HM
"This section lying between Sixth Avenue and Eight Avenue will provide the central beautification theme as it will evolve into a beautiful elevated rose garden with 2,000 selected roses planted at vantage points... the color ensemble, when complete . . . — Map (db m86480) HM
This Greek Revival mansion belonged to Dr. Aaron Adair Burleson and his wife, Janet, during the Civil War. Part of an original 778-acre land grant, the brick home covered by Flemish bond, features 18-inch thick walls and contains one of the . . . — Map (db m28245) HM
(Front): Born in 1894 in Normandy, Tennessee, Carolyn Cortner was raised in the Courtland area of Lawrence County, Alabama. She attended Ward-Belmont College in Tennessee. She married Wilburn Smith in 1912. She did not attend formal . . . — Map (db m27814) HM
You are facing the site of the McCartney Hotel, where Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston established his headquarters while reorganizing the Confederate Army of the West in March, 1862. Johnston spent almost two weeks here after he was . . . — Map (db m28263) HM
The oldest home in Decatur still standing, this Early Classical Revival mansion was built by Frank Dancy and was a private residence until 1872, when it became a boarding house and hotel. During the Civil War, the home belonged to Dancy’s daughter, . . . — Map (db m28243) HM
Decatur had close to 800 residents in 1860, not many more than the 606 persons counted in the 1850 census. Included in the 1860 census were 267 white males, 206 white females, three free blacks including two males and one female, and 130 slaves of . . . — Map (db m28209) HM
Led by first pastor Alfred Peters, 21 members organized this church on April 22, 1866, in the home of Sister Jane Young. Services were first held in a storefront building on the banks of the Tennessee River. In 1873 First Missionary purchased a . . . — Map (db m27765) HM
The historic First United Methodist Church is the oldest continually meeting congregation in Decatur and the only downtown church still worshiping in its nineteenth century sanctuary.
Circuit riders served local Methodists from . . . — Map (db m102816) HM
For whom this lake in Tennessee River is named lived 1836-1906. His home 16 miles west. Lt. Gen. in Confederate Army 1864-5. Maj. Gen. U. S. Army 1898. Named by Alabama to Hall of Fame, Washington, 1922. — Map (db m27760) HM
"The opportunies which were at hand in the development of the river and the region were being seized upon by our people with renewed courage and confidence.
We now know that we couldn't be licked again, that what had been preached to us by TVA was . . . — Map (db m86505) HM
1. Public City Hall
2. Decatur Police Station
3. Decatur/Morgan Co. Chamber of Comm.
4. Decatur Public Library
5. Federal Bldg./Post Office
6. Morgan County Archives
7. Morgan County Courthouse . . . — Map (db m103228) HM
Following the fall of Atlanta on September 2, 1864, Confederate General John Bell Hood, Commander of the Army of Tennessee, began a series of maneuvers against the Union line of supply running from Atlanta through Northwest Georgia, North Alabama, . . . — Map (db m28208) HM
Ingalls Iron Works was established in 1910, by Robert Ingalls, in Titusville Alabama. It became the largest steel company in the region. Looking for new opportunities for the steel his company fabricated, Ingalls opened Ingalls Shipyard in 1937 to . . . — Map (db m86507)
Beneath this hallowed ground lay the remains of fifty-five Confederate soldiers. They gave their lives to establish southern independence, protect their homes, and preserve state's rights. These original headstones were placed in May 1903 by the Joe . . . — Map (db m86509) HM
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, . . . — Map (db m103229) HM
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the Town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, President . . . — Map (db m103225) HM WM
Erected 1833, Cost $9,482. Classic Revival design. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Decatur Branch, Bank of The State of Alabama. Chartered 1832 by state legislature, profitable until 1837, charter revoked 1842 and closed. 1842-1901 . . . — Map (db m27762) HM
"We are definitely in an era of building; the best kind of buildings - the building of great projects for the benefit of the public and with the definite objectives of building human happiness".
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Delano park was . . . — Map (db m86510) HM
Dr. Henry Rhodes, for whom Rhodes Ferry Landing was named, was Decatur's first Postmaster and one of the organizers of the Lodge (Nov. 22, 1826). Chartered in 1827, its first Worshipful Master was Colonel Francis Dancy, builder of the Dancy-Polk . . . — Map (db m102823) HM
During the 1870s, Samuel Schaudies and Abbie Robinson Schaudies moved to this site from Huntsville and purchased this five-room cottage in 1881 for $800.00. The deed lists this site as part of Lot 84, “Old Town” Decatur. In 1875, their . . . — Map (db m27763) HM
Named in honor of
W. W. “Barney” Benson, Supt. Ed. 1927 - 38
H. L. “Shorty” Ogle, Coach 1934 - 64
Aubrey Fuller, Asst. Coach 1929 - 58
The “T” formation was introduced to Alabama here in 1941
On . . . — Map (db m28268) HM
"It is intended that the city shall be not only a first class business and manufacturing place but at the same time it shall be a delightful place for the home and family."
-Promotional brochure from the Decatur Land Improvement and Furnace . . . — Map (db m53667) HM
In 1890, 75 members of St. Paul's Church (founded 1867) in Old Decatur, split away from the church over the location of a new building. Newcomers to the parish and city wanted to build it in New Decatur/Albany, near their homes. . . . — Map (db m32483) HM
In 1860, the Memphis and Charleston Railroad was the only east-west route through the United States south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Maintaining control of this rail line was essential to Confederate strategy. Union Brigadier General Ormsby Mitchell . . . — Map (db m28262) HM
This Monument is dedicated in memory of Decatur born men who fought & died in the Vietnam War.
Roger Pinkey Crow Dec 12 1948- Sept 30, 1970
Billy Wayne Carp March 13, 1947- Sept 10, 1969
Tommy L Nighola's March 2, 1944 - Feb 23, 1966
William . . . — Map (db m48187) HM
In Memory of those who died for our country during 1917-18 John Alexander Jr.,Dorsey L. Baker, Fred S. Baker, Sam Black, James W. Bunch, Harkless Byrd, Joe Campbell, James L. Culpepper, William J. Eaton, Buford L. Flack, Owen Fowler, Claud M . . . — Map (db m48189) HM
City of Hartselle Hartselle, named after early pioneer George Hartsell (with no "e") rose from modest beginnings to an important position in the growing economy of Morgan County. Founded in 1870, the town owes its existence to the construction . . . — Map (db m37205) HM
An estimated 600 Confederate and Union troops skirmished on this site on April 7, 1864 for control of crucial troop movements south of the Tennessee River during the Federal occupation of North Alabama.
Confederate Brigadier General James . . . — Map (db m72810) HM
Abundant water and fertile land in this area south of the Tennessee River attracted pioneer settlement in the early 1800s. The community established here by three Virginia-born brothers, Hopkins, John, and Theophilus Lacy, took on their name and . . . — Map (db m27611) HM
Built circa 1837 with special taxes levied for that purpose by Alabama Legislature, 1836.
Replaced first court house, built circa 1825.
Somerville was incorporated, 1819, county seat 1819-1891. Cotaco County created February 8, 1818, renamed . . . — Map (db m27758) HM
The restorative qualities of the mineral springs here attracted settlement in the early 1800s. Variously known as Chunn Springs (after Lancelot Chunn) and Manning Springs (after Robert Manning), the spot was named for early developers of the resort . . . — Map (db m37208) HM
Eight U.S. Army Air Corps officers and enlisted men were killed one-fourth mile east of here near the Roundtop Community on Sunday, April 9, 1944, at 2:20 p.m. when their B-26C Martin Marauder bomber, nicknamed the “Katy-Did”, crashed . . . — Map (db m80562) HM