From this point, "Stonewall" Jackson shelled Hancock, Md., Jan 5, 1862. After destroying supplies, the B&O Railway track and the bridge over the Great Cacapon, Jackson marched his army of 8,500 men to Romney and captured it. January 14. — — Map (db m13158) HM
In 1885, noted Maryland businessman, Colonel Samuel Taylor Suit began construction on the elaborate summer cottage now known as Berkeley Castle. The land was part of the original Fruit Hill Farm owned before the Civil War by John Strother of the . . . — — Map (db m117311) HM
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — — Map (db m58632) HM
Nearly 30 years after colonial travelers, including a teenaged George Washington, pitched tents and "took the waters" in stone lined pools, the Virginia Legislature in 1776 established a town called Bath on 50 acres around the warm mineral springs. . . . — — Map (db m117303) HM
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — — Map (db m58634) HM
The historic spa town of Bath is known to the world by its post office name of Berkeley Springs.
From the time he was 16 through the reading of his will in 1799, George Washington ate, slept, owned land and bathed in and around Berkeley . . . — — Map (db m117301) HM
Berkeley Springs Washington first came here, 1748. Fairfax gave the springs to the public. Established as town, 1776. Virginia treated her sick soldiers here. Gen. Washington, Gen Buchanan, Gen. Gates, Charles Carroll and others bought lots . . . — — Map (db m13016) HM
One of oldest spas in South, warm mineral spring waters first used by Native Americans for reputed healing powers. Frequently visited by George Washington. Land granted to Virginia by Lord Fairfax in 1776, but used as a health resort since 1750s. . . . — — Map (db m13113) HM
These healing springs, visited by Washington, 1748, were given to Virginia by Lord Fairfax. Helpful in treating infantile paralysis, rheumatism, diabetes and other diseases. Temperature of water is always 74 degrees. — — Map (db m13114) HM
Today's 4.5-acre Berkeley Springs State Park has always been public ground. Native tribes were known to use the springs but none called it home. Colonial owner Thomas Lord Fairfax allowed its public use. When the town was established in 1776, the . . . — — Map (db m117307) HM
Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, both Trustees, and George William Fairfax. By 1798, at least four of the five lots deeded to these three nephews of Thomas Sixth Lord Fairfax were owned by Ferdinando Fairfax, son of Bryan.
Lot #54: . . . — — Map (db m117373) HM
Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, Trustees, and George William Fairfax. All three were nephews of Thomas Sixth Lord of Fairfax, owner of the "Northern Rappahannock Rivers. Bryan Fairfax was the next in line to become the Ninth Lord Fairfax, but . . . — — Map (db m117385) HM
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — — Map (db m58631) HM
The summer of 1861 had been disastrous for Confederate arms in western Virginia (present day West Virginia) and by the New Year the Virginia counties west of the Alleghenies were on the road to statehood. On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas . . . — — Map (db m58633) HM
Capt. John Swann of Washington County, Maryland. By 1798, Capt. Swann owned Lots #12, #13, #34 and #35.
Lot #12: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Capt. John Swann, 1777. — — Map (db m117410) HM
This official West Virginia Centennial Time Capsule was dedicated October 12, 1963 as Morgan County's contribution to the State's Centennial celebration. It contains historical documents, personal messages to be distributed in 2063. — — Map (db m13026) HM
For more than 200 years, the area bordering the park and springs on which the Country Inn stands, has been the historic spa town's center of hospitality.
In September 1784, George Washington stayed at Sign of the Liberty Pole and Flag located . . . — — Map (db m117309) HM
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence (see marker Lot #24). Carroll was a "squatter" in Bath and built a house here before the town was laid out and before he owned the land. The Signer, who later served in the . . . — — Map (db m117392) HM
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence who outlived all the other 55 signers. One of the most illustrious men in Maryland history, he turned the first spadeful of dirt to begin the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad on . . . — — Map (db m117397) HM
Charles Dick, a merchant from Spotsylvania County, Va. He was associated with Fielding Lewis, owner of adjoining Lot #45, in manufacturing firearms for Revolutionary troops at a factory in Fredericksburg, Va.
Lot #44: Conveyed by the . . . — — Map (db m117372) HM
Charles Yates of Spotsylvania County, Va. The Trustees declared it forfeited in 1796 and sold it to Andrew Buchannon.
Lot #33: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Charles Yates, 1777. — — Map (db m117399) HM
It could be called "education hill" given the assortment of learning institutions that have been located on the crest of an area bounded by the Dutch Cemetery on the west and WV9 on the south. Part of the Green Addition to town, it was known as Mt. . . . — — Map (db m117312) HM
Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer
Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, a personal friend of George Washington. Jenifer was elected to the Continental Congress in 1778 and was one of three Maryland statesmen who signed the U.S. Constitution. He . . . — — Map (db m117396) HM
Palatinate Germans, called Dutch from the translation of Deutsch, migrated south to Berkeley Springs from Pennsylvania. Lots 1 and 2 of the original town plat were set aside by the trustees in 1777 for a German church and two other houses. There is . . . — — Map (db m117314) HM
Edward Lloyd, a Maryland official called "the Patriot" because of his eminent service during the Revolutionary period. He was one of two Marylanders in the Congress of the Confederation during 1783-1784. The owner of vast landholdings in Talbot . . . — — Map (db m117401) HM
Fielding Lewis, who married George Washington's sister, Betty. He was appointed Chief Commissioner to superintend a factory in Fredericksburg, Va., to make small arms for the Virginia Revolutionary troops. Lewis used his own money to keep the . . . — — Map (db m117386) HM
Frederick Conrad, a tanner from Frederick County, Va. Conrad also bought Lot #75 which adjoins this lot.
Lot #68: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Frederick Conrad, August 19, 1777. . . . — — Map (db m117408) HM
Frederick Duckwall, Jr. He sold it to George Dyche in 1794. After Dyche sold it to Samuel W. Barrett of Hampshire County, records show Duckwall owning it again by 1798.
Lot #6: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Frederick . . . — — Map (db m117395) HM
George Dick of Berkeley County. It was bought in 1786 by Robert Throckmorton, partner with James Rumsey (see marker Lot #97) at "The Liberty Pole and Flag" Inn, perhaps the most popular inn in Bath.
Lot #107: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — — Map (db m117377) HM
George Irwin of York County, Pa., who later bought half of adjoining Lot #88. Irwin, a merchant, also bought Lot #46. A boarding house was located on this site during most of the early history of Bath.
Lot #89: Conveyed by the Trustees of . . . — — Map (db m117384) HM
Harry Dorsey Gough, a wealthy Marylander from Perry Hall and a patron of Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury. Rev. Asbury visited and preached in the Gough house while in Bath. Gen. Horatio Gates was later a resident but never owned the lot. Capt. John . . . — — Map (db m117391) HM
Henry Whiting of Bath, a cousin of George Washington, who bought five lots the same day. He sold this one the following year to Robert Adams of Alexandria, Va. By 1798 his father-in-law, Col. John Carlyle of Alexandria, Va., owned all the lots . . . — — Map (db m117380) HM
Henry Whiting of Bath, a cousin of George Washington, who also bought Lots #95, #96, #120 and #121. All five lots were owned in 1798 by his father-in-law, Col. John Carlyle of Alexandria, Va. Carlyle was one of . . . — — Map (db m117374) HM
James Elliott, a merchant from Chambersburg, Pa. He sold half the lot to George Irwin of York County, Pa., and the other half to Charles Hederich of Berkeley County, Va. (now West Virginia), in 1780.
Lot #88: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — — Map (db m117383) HM
James Muir, a merchant from Alexandria, Va. A listing of lot owners in 1798 shows it belonging to James Mercer, a member of the Continental Congress, who owned lot #43.
Lot #60: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to James Muir, . . . — — Map (db m117405) HM
James Smith of York, Pa., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He was a member of the Continental congress and a Brigadier General in the Pennsylvania militia. Smith was a leader in the Pennsylvania black country from the outbreak . . . — — Map (db m117382) HM
John Donovan, a tavern keeper from Hancock, Maryland. He also purchased Lot #126, a site on which the town's first theater was built.
Lot #130: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Donovan [no recorded date]. — — Map (db m117371) HM
John Ridout, Esq., of Annapolis, Md. James Smith owned it in 1779. Ridout was again the owner by 1798.
Lot #32: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Ridout, 1777. — — Map (db m117403) HM
Joseph Booth of Berkeley County. In 1782 he sold it to Alpheus of Hampshire County, who owned other property in the town.
Lot #118: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Joseph Booth, August 25, 1777. — — Map (db m117379) HM
George Washington, surveyor for Lord Fairfax, visited "ye fam'd warm springs" first, Mar. 17, 1748. Later he brought his family "to try the effect of the waters" in 1768. When "Ye Town of Bath" was incorporated in October 1776, Washington bought . . . — — Map (db m117310) HM
Soldiers from Morgan County who served in the defense of their country in the following wars: Mexican War 1846
Dyche, Lewis ∙ Buck, Isaiah
1861 – Civil War – 1865
Union Soldiers Killed in Battle
Boone, Ira ∙ . . . — — Map (db m81783) HM
The Town of Bath was plotted on land that had belonged to Thomas Lord Fairfax. These two lots were purchased on August 26, 1777, by six men on behalf of a German church. Although the original plan was to build a church and two houses on these lots, . . . — — Map (db m117409) HM WM
Robert Brown of Berkeley County. He sold half the lot to James Heaton in 1782 and the other half to Michael Davis of Berkeley County the following year.
Lot #106: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Robert Brown, 1777. — — Map (db m117376) HM
Robert Carter Willis in 1779 deeded the lot to Alexander White (see marker Lot #38), one of the original Trustees of the Town of Bath. White was regarded by his contemporaries as one of the ablest lawyers in the United States and an outstanding . . . — — Map (db m117390) HM
Robert Throckmorton, Jr., of Berkeley County. The lot was purchased in 1858 by David Hunter Strother, who recorded much of the early history of Bath. Strother was an artist and writer who used the pen name "Porte Crayon".
Lot #26: Conveyed . . . — — Map (db m117393) HM
Sam Purviance, a merchant from Baltimore, Maryland. Michael Davis of Bath was listed as the owner in 1798 of this lot along with Lots #37 and #38.
Lot #36: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Sam . . . — — Map (db m117387) HM
Sir John's Run was named for Sir John Sinclair, the quartermaster for General Braddock on expedition in 1755 against the French at Fort Duquesne. James Rumsey demonstrated his steamboat here in 1785. — — Map (db m13152) HM
After the Civil War, Berkeley Springs was divided between two conflicting economic forces. Hotels and bathhouses dominated the streets surrounding the warm mineral springs. The buildings of DeFord's First National Tannery bumped up against them, . . . — — Map (db m117300) HM
In memoriam to The sons and daughters of Morgan County Through their passion, optimism courage and heroism they took up the struggle during the Second World War and made the sacrifices to perpetuate the gift our forefathers entrusted to us A . . . — — Map (db m13021) HM
Thomas Lawson of Prince William County, Va., and John Orr of Loudoun County, Va., co-owners of Lots #28 and #29. It was owned later by Philadelphia merchant Thomas Palmer, who also owned Lots #46 and #48. — — Map (db m117388) HM
The massive resistant Tuscarora Sandstone is steeply inclined here and forms Fluted Rocks. The "Tuscarora (Clinton) Sand" of the driller produces some gas although it is largely untested in West Virginia. — — Map (db m13157) HM
Today's View Panorama Overlook marks the north end of Cacapon Mountain's 30-mile march. Composed of Oriskany sandstone, it plunges nearly 1000 feet into the Potomac River which bends along the base of the Overlook as it heads downstream . . . — — Map (db m13155) HM
Roman Bathhouse and Museum of the Berkeley Springs The second floor of the historic Roman Bath House, oldest public building in Berkeley Springs is the Museum of the Berkeley Springs with exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the . . . — — Map (db m117306) HM
"The Mountain State" - western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. — — Map (db m117370) HM
William Herbert of Alexandria, Va. Herbert, who was born in Ireland, became President of the Alexandria Bank established in 1798 and served as Mayor of Alexandria from 1808 to 1810. He was an honorary pallbearer for . . . — — Map (db m117407) HM
William Ramsey and James Stuart, both of Alexandria, Va. Ramsey was one of the trustees for the City of Alexandria and owned the first house built there after the sale of town lots in 1749. He married Ann McCarty Ball, a cousin of George Washington. . . . — — Map (db m117406) HM
William Weathers, a farmer and blacksmith from Berkely County. He sold half the lot in 1785, the other half in 1795, and bought the entire lot back before 1798. Weathers bought Lot #97 the same day.
Lot #3: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — — Map (db m117411) HM
Beautiful panorama of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. It overlooks the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal which was started by George Washington and associates in order to improve communication with the west. — — Map (db m97341) HM
The pure massive sandstone forming the Warm Springs Ridge is the Oriskany of the driller and geologist. The "Oriskany Sand," an important gas Sand, has produced in excess of a trillion cubic feet of gas in West Virginia. — — Map (db m68988) HM
This headland overlooks the Potomac and Great Cacapon Valleys and the three states - West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. The National Geographic Magazine rates this scene among America's outstanding beauty spots. — — Map (db m68995) HM
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — — Map (db m58636) HM
Morgan County. Formed, 1820, from Berkeley and Hampshire. Named for Gen. Daniel Morgan of the Revolutionary Army. Many of his renowned “Riflemen” were from the Eastern Panhandle, where he once lived. Famed Berkeley Springs here.
. . . — — Map (db m1112) HM
Important concentration point of the Union Army from 1861 to 1865. As many as 16,000 Federal troops were encamped here at one time. A blockhouse stood along the tracks of the B&O Railroad at this point. — — Map (db m449) HM
The Washington Heritage Trail is a 136-mile national scenic byway inspired by the prominent footsteps of George Washington through the three historic counties of West Virginias Eastern Panhandle. Compelling history, spectacular scenery, geologic . . . — — Map (db m450) HM
"The Mountain State"-western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during . . . — — Map (db m84796) HM
Formed, 1820, from Berkeley and Hampshire. Named for Gen. Daniel Morgan of the Revolutionary Army. Many of his renowned "Riflemen" were from the Eastern Panhandle, where he once lived. Famed Berkeley Springs here. . . . — — Map (db m84797) HM