Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Muskegon County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Lakeside Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2015
Lakeside Marker
Michigan (Muskegon County), Lakeside — L2135 — Lakeside
The village of Lakeside grew up around the A.V. Mann and Company sawmill, which operated from 1868 to 1889. In 1888 Lakeside was annexed to Muskegon. That year fire ravaged the business district. Despite the fire, Lakeside continued to boom as a . . . — Map (db m114477) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — S0657 — Bluffton Actors' Colony / Buster Keaton
Bluffton Actors' Colony In 1908, Joe Keaton, actor Paul Lucier, and agent Lew Earl founded the Actors' Colony. By 1911 over two hundred theater personalities flocked to Bluffton each summer. They included Keaton, his wife, Myra and his son . . . — Map (db m114476) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — Buster Keaton1895-1966
Renowned actor and filmmaker, who called Muskegon home. Best known for his silent film comedies and dead-pan delivery, Keaton’s long career began in Vaudeville at three years old and included television, Broadway and modern film. . . . — Map (db m119651) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — 58 — Hackley House
side 1 This three-story wood frame building is one of Michigan’s most splendid examples of Queen Anne architecture. With juxtaposition of masses created by roof lines, chimneys, tower and porte-cochere it has become a symbol of . . . — Map (db m107242) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — 144 — Hume House
side 1 Built in 1887 – 1889, this massive Queen Anne style house served the Thomas Hume family through four generations. This architect for this, as well as the Hackley house, was David S. Hopkins of Grand Rapids. The . . . — Map (db m107251) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — Muskegon Fishing ReefConstructed September 1980
. . . — Map (db m119656) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Muskegon — 601 — Union Depot
The Union Depot opened in 1895 to serve the Chicago & West Michigan Railway; the Muskegon, Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad; and the Toledo, Saginaw & Muskegon Railroad. A.W. Rush and Son of Grand Rapids designed the Richardson Romanesque . . . — Map (db m107240) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), North Muskegon — L726 — Jean Baptiste Recollect Trading Post
Near this site, on the shore of Muskegon Lake, stood the first Indian fur trading post in Muskegon County. It was established in 1812 by Jean Baptiste Recollect, a French fur trader believed to be this area's first white settler. Jean Recollect . . . — Map (db m84587) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Whitehall — L2167 — Lumbering on White Lake / Staples and Covell Mill
side 1 – Lumbering on White Lake Charles Mears built White Lake’s first sawmill in 1838. Four mills operated on White River tributaries during the next decade. Axmen, swampers, skidders, loaders, and haulers cut and moved pine, . . . — Map (db m119663) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), Whitehall — L2184 — White Lake Yacht CLub
side 1 By 1897 most of White Lake’s bustling sawmills had given way to cottages and small hotels. Promoters advertised the area’s cool temperatures as relief from the summer heat of cities and drew thousands of people to the area, many . . . — Map (db m119659) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.