Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Nassau County Florida Historical Markers

 
A Dune System Called NaNa and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
A Dune System Called NaNa and Marker
Florida (Nassau County), American Beach — F-660 — A Dune System Called "NaNa"
NaNa, the tallest dune in Florida, is a protected landmark due largely to the efforts of MaVynne Betsch (January 14, 1935-September 5, 2005), widely known as the "Beach Lady." Betsch, who once performed opera in London, Paris and Germany, returned . . . — Map (db m59606) HM
Florida (Nassau County), American Beach — American Beach at the Crossroads
During the period of racial segregation, African Americans were barred from most of the beaches in Florida. American Beach was founded in 1935 to provide African Americans with beach access in a resort atmosphere. Nana, as the sand dune . . . — Map (db m58907) HM
Florida (Nassau County), American Beach — F- 737 — Franklintown Chapel
The Franklintown community was first populated by ex-slaves from the Samuel Harrison plantation. Franklintown Chapel's congregation was organized in 1880 by Trinity M.E. Church, located in the City of Fernandina at the north end of Amelia Island. . . . — Map (db m58542) HM
Florida (Nassau County), American Beach — F417 — Historic American Beach
American Beach was established in 1935 under the leadership of Abraham Lincoln Lewis, one of seven co-founders of the Afro-American Life Insurance Company, and one of Florida’s first black millionaires. His vision was to create a beach resort as a . . . — Map (db m58868) HM
Florida (Nassau County), American Beach — F-626 — Martha's Hideaway
American Beach, founded in 1935, was a renowned beach for Blacks during the segregation era when African Americans could not go to public beaches. In the early development of American Beach, a few private homes were built, including one hidden deep . . . — Map (db m60434) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Callahan — Historic Florida Railroad
The Florida Railroad was the state's first cross-peninsular railroad. David L. Yulee, a Florida resident and United States Senator, incorporated the Florida Railroad Company in 1853. Construction of the line began at Fernandina Beach in 1856 and was . . . — Map (db m92991) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Amelia Island Lighthouse
Standing at the highest point on the island, the Amelia Island Lighthouse was built from bricks re-used from the Cumberland Island Lighthouse in 1839 on land purchased from Mary Fernandez. The 67 foot tall lighthouse has walls four feet thick at the . . . — Map (db m33367) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — David L. Yulee
1810 · 1886 David L. Yulee Lived Near This Location — • — He was U.S. Senator, Statesman, Developer, Florida's first Railroad Builder. — Map (db m33429) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Egmont PlantationA Casualty of the Revolutionary War
This site was part of an indigo plantation belonging to the estate of John Perceval, 2nd Earl of Egmont. After Lord Perceval’s death in 1770, his executors sent Stephen Egan to manage the East Florida estate. Under Egan’s supervision, Egmont became . . . — Map (db m106652) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Fairbanks Home
Built in 1885 by George Rainsford Fairbanks, lawyer, historian, and editor. Born in 1820 at Watertown, New York, Fairbanks moved to Florida in 1842 and became a major in the Confederate Army. He edited the Fernandina Florida Mirror, presided over . . . — Map (db m59696) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-198 — Fernandez Grant
During the Spanish and English periods of Florida history, many large tracts of land were granted primarily to induce settlement. All that remains of the Don Domingo Fernandez Spanish Grant is the family cemetery and this park. Royal title to . . . — Map (db m33394) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-880 — First Home on American Beach
American Beach was established in January 1935 when the Afro-American Life Insurance Company purchased 33 acres of land with a 1000-foot shoreline. This Masonry Vernacular home was built that year for the president of the company, Abraham Lincoln . . . — Map (db m92952) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — 279 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized in 1858, this congregation worships in Fernandina's oldest church building, and one of the oldest in Florida. This colonial structure rests on land donated by David L. Yulee, Florida's first Senator, and a former member of the . . . — Map (db m121847) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-28 — Florida's First Atlantic to Gulf Railroad
The Florida Railroad Company was incorporated January 8, 1853, with David L. Yulee as president. The line received both federal and state land grants. Despite early financial difficulties, construction was begun from Fernandina, where the main . . . — Map (db m33411) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Fort Clinch
Fort Clinch Reconstruction And construction of roads Buildings and grounds Was performed by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1420 1937-1942 — Map (db m33457) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Fort Clinch Military Road
You are standing in the general location of the Fort Clinch Military Road. The photo represents what a typical military road looked like during the Civil War. In 1847, with the start of the fort's construction, military engineers realized the . . . — Map (db m33438) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-250 — Fort San Carlos
On this bluff overlooking the Amelia River, Fort San Carlos was completed by the Spanish in 1816. The fort was made of wood and earthworks and was armed with eight or ten guns. As the Spanish Empire disintegrated, Fort San Carlos became increasingly . . . — Map (db m33360) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — McClure's Hill
Site of the Battle of Amelia, September 13, 1817. On this hill, Spaniards erected a battery of four brass cannon, with about 300 men, supported by two gunboats. They shelled Fernandina, held by Jared Irwin, adventurer and former Penna. congressman. . . . — Map (db m33343) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-371 — Memorial United Methodist Church
Methodism first came to Amelia Island in 1822 when the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church appointed the Reverend Elijah Sinclair as the first minister to East Florida. Sinclair arrived within months of Florida being ceded . . . — Map (db m59687) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Mount Olive Baptist Church
(side 1) Mount Olive Baptist Church in Nassauville, Florida was established in 1870 by the descendants of West African born, Sam Hooper, and his native American wife. Sam, (aka I. Hupue) who was over 100 years of age in 1864, was the . . . — Map (db m92956) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Nassau County American Revolutionary War Memorial
In honor of American Revolutionary War Patriots who settled in Nassau County, Florida Burroughs Higginbotham, Soldier Amos Latham, Soldier John Tolson Lowe, Lieutenant James Pelot, Patriot John Daniel Vaughan, Private For freedom, . . . — Map (db m93831) WM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-686 — Nassau County Historic Courthouse
The 1891 Nassau County Courthouse is one of only a few remaining courthouses in Florida built in the late 19th century. An excellent example of the Italianate style, it features a square domed tower with cupola, brick corbelling, bracketed cornice, . . . — Map (db m58486) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-443 — New Zion Baptist Church
New Zion Baptist Church, the second oldest and largest black Baptist Church on Amelia Island, was founded on May 15, 1870 under the leadership of Reverend Lewis Cook (1834-1880). He and 69 parishioners held their first meeting in a stable on First . . . — Map (db m58939) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-873 — Peck High School
(Side 1) The groundwork for Peck High School started in 1880, when a group led by Henry B. Delaney petitioned for an African American school in Fernandina. In 1885, a four-room building known as Colored School No. 1 opened at Atlantic . . . — Map (db m93837) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-419 — Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866
On February 5, 1875, Jean-Pierre Augustin Verot, Bishop of Saint Augustine, purchased this cottage from Sarah Phelan. The Sisters of Saint Joseph lived here in the year 1877, when a devastating epidemic of yellow fever swept over the Amelia Island . . . — Map (db m59963) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-249 — Plaza San Carlos
This land high above the Amelia River was a campsite for Indians in pre-historic times, as early as 2000-1000 B.C. In the early history of the state, it assumed military importance because of the fine protected harbor on the northern boundary of . . . — Map (db m33349) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Revolutionary War Invasion of British East Florida
In May 1777, Colonel Samuel Elbert's Continentals landed on the North End of Amelia Island at Oldtown Bluff, approximately one mile north of Florida. A patrol engaged in a skirmish with British troops on the south end of the island. An officer, Lt. . . . — Map (db m33414) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-50 — St. Peter's Church(Episcopal)
The church was organized as a mission in 1858 and was consecrated the following year by the Rt. Rev. Francis Huger Rutledge, first Bishop of Florida. During the War it was used by Federal forces occupying Fernandina and many of its interior . . . — Map (db m58814) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-846 — The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966
In May 1887, the original wood frame building of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Fernandina was given to the black congregation and called Good Shepherd Episcopal Church. The structure was moved to face east on Ninth Street. The rectors of St. . . . — Map (db m92955) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-376 — The Lesesne House
This Classical Revival style residence, built by Dr. John F. Lesesne circa 1860, is one of the oldest homes in Fernandina Beach. Lesesene left Fernandina during the Civil War and did not return. In 1868 the house became the property of the family of . . . — Map (db m58467) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1774, William Bartram, famed Colonial Naturalist, visited Amelia Island and recorded the flora and fauna of this area. — Map (db m58405) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Hilliard — F-820 — Kings Ferry
Side 1 During Florida's British Period (1763-1783), the small trading hamlet of Mills Ferry was established here on the St. Marys River. Mills Ferry was first chronicled in the early 1770s by William Bartram. He noted that the Seagrove & . . . — Map (db m93857) HM
Florida (Nassau County), near Callahan — F-731 — Italia
The town of Italia was founded here in 1882 by Irish-born entrepreneur William MacWilliams. Italia was located at milepost 18 on the Florida Transit Railroad, which ran from Fernandina to Cedar Key. The town began when former U.S. Senator David Levy . . . — Map (db m54185) HM
Florida (Nassau County), south of Callahan — F-236 — Battle of Thomas Creek
When the American War of Independence began, the new British colonies of East and West Florida did not seek separation from England. East Florida remained comparatively free from serious fighting throughout the course of the Revolutionary War. In . . . — Map (db m41222) HM

34 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.