Built of adobe bricks in 1876, this is the third oldest surviving building at Fort Apache. Originally the Adjutant's Office (administrative office) of the post, it also served variously as post headquarters, military Post Office, telegraph office, . . . — — Map (db m36799) HM
The Club House was constructed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in 1930 to provide housing and kitchen facilities for unmarried teachers employed at the Theodore Roosevelt School. The building was later converted to a clubhouse for use by the school . . . — — Map (db m36784) HM
These ruins represent the last surviving enlisted men's barracks, on the east end of Barracks Row. Much like Officer's Row defined the north side of the Parade Ground, Barracks Row made up the south side. This adobe barracks was one of two completed . . . — — Map (db m36874) HM
Throughout the military history of Fort Apache, enlisted men were housed with their units to the south of Officers' Row. The first company quarters, completed in February 1871, were 18 by 20 foot log squad huts built in rows running north and south . . . — — Map (db m36807) HM
The Boys' Dormitory was constructed in 1932. Located on the east end of the fort's Parade Ground, it is on the site of earlier military structures including a telegraph office. Sandstone was quarried for the building's construction from a site about . . . — — Map (db m36875) HM
An 1891 fire, sparked by a defective chimney and fanned by high winds, destroyed five sets of wood frame officers' quarters that had been constructed in this area between 1883 and 1886.
Using sandstone quarried just east of the Fort, these two . . . — — Map (db m36779) HM
A classic Victorian mansion, this building clearly represents some of the Army's architectural motivations. Recognizing the difficulties for officers and their families of being assigned to remote posts, the Army built homes such as this one to . . . — — Map (db m36782) HM
Built in 1889 to replace a smaller adobe structure, the Commissary Storehouse served as the Fort's food storage and distribution point until its closure in 1922. A solid building, the storehouse includes a stone cellar that extends three-fourth of . . . — — Map (db m36804) HM
This log cabin is the oldest surviving building at Fort Apache. The westernmost of a series of eight log cabins built in 1871 to form Officers' Row, this cabin was designated the Commanding Officer's Quarters. It was originally an 18 by 20 foot log . . . — — Map (db m36778) HM
During the first decade of the Theodore Roosevelt School, girls were housed in the old fort hospital. Since the old barracks that housed the boys was inadequate, a new boys' dormitory was scheduled for construction in 1931. Before that construction . . . — — Map (db m36878) HM
This stone guard house was built around 1891 to replace the earlier, bed-bug infested structure still standing about 300 feet to the west of this site. Placed near the original main entrance to the fort, this building provided housing for guards and . . . — — Map (db m36805) HM
Constructed in 1888 in the architectural style of Fort Apache's Officers' Row, these residences housed junior officers or non-commissioned officers and their families.
Like other quarters on the east end of Officers' Row, these residences were . . . — — Map (db m36800) HM
This frame officer's quarters in the only one of seven built between 1883 and 1886 to have survived without significant modifications. Like many of the post's residences, it was built around a large central hallway that runs the length of the house. . . . — — Map (db m36794) HM
These three officers' quarters were constructed between 1883 and 1888 to house junior officers and their families. With clipped-corner porches and symmetrical front elevations, these quarters reflect the architectural style established by the . . . — — Map (db m36796) HM
The first guardhouse at Fort Apache was built of logs and located on this site. In 1876, this stone building – the second oldest surviving structure on the post – was constructed to replace the original log structure. It was replaced as . . . — — Map (db m36806) HM
This large open field between Officers' Row and the enlisted men's Barracks Row was used by the army for drill practice, training, and review. When called to action, troops would assemble here prior to departure. It also provided a prime location . . . — — Map (db m36781) HM
This stone cafeteria building was constructed in 1948-1949 to serve the students of the Theodore Roosevelt School. It is the last building constructed here that is part of the Fort Apache Historic District. Before the construction of this building, . . . — — Map (db m36877) HM
This house was constructed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs around 1930 to house Theodore Roosevelt School teachers and families. It deviates in style, though not in size, from the typical Officers' Row quarters.
Initially the house had a flat . . . — — Map (db m36803) HM
On January 24, 1923 an act was passed by Congress authorizing the Secretary of the Interior to establish and maintain an Indian boarding school on the site of Fort Apache. The first students were Dine' (Navajo) children brought from the Navajo . . . — — Map (db m36876) HM
The dark coating on the boulder below you is desert varnish – a concentration of mineral, clay, and organic material that accumulates over time. Prehistoric artists created rock art by exposing the lighter material underneath. But what do . . . — — Map (db m68891) HM
The black basalt that caps the cliffs before you stands in stark contrast to the colorful Chinle Formation visible throughout the Painted Desert.
Below this layer of basalt, a horizontal line cuts across the face of the mesa and separates rocks . . . — — Map (db m68901) HM
Centuries of scouring floodwaters washed out the arroyo, or gully, beneath this 110-foot (34 meter) petrified log to form Agate Bridge. The stone log, harder than the sandstone around it, resisted erosion and remained suspended as the softer rock . . . — — Map (db m68872) HM
This structure, called Agate House, is a partial reconstruction of an Indian pueblo built here almost ten centuries ago. Indians built dwelling walls like these of petrified wood sealed with mud mortar. Archeologists believe the original eight-room . . . — — Map (db m68689) HM
From Pintado Point, vistas of remarkable clarity extend far beyond boundaries because the air quality in the surrounding Petrified Forest is among the purest in the continental United States. At times, the San Francisco Peaks, 120 miles (193 km) . . . — — Map (db m68903) HM
U.S. Army Lt. Amiel Whipple, surveying for a railroad route along the 35th Parallel about one mile south of here, passed down the broad sandy wash below in December 1853. Impressed with the deposits of petrified wood visible along the banks, Whipple . . . — — Map (db m72924) HM
Approximately 225 million years ago, during the Triassic Period, a floodplain existed here – littered with fallen trees. Periodic flooding buried the logs beneath layers of silt. Over time, silica-laden waters filtered through these deposits . . . — — Map (db m68870) HM
The petrified wood strewn in the valley below was once encased in the bluffs around you. When erosional forces removed the softer rocks, the petrified wood tumbled and accumulated on the valley floor. Once filled with fallen logs, Jasper Forest was . . . — — Map (db m68871) HM
Did you notice where the trail passed over the faint outlines of the rooms? Over 100 rooms formed a one-story apartment complex surrounding a central plaza in the village. The building materials for the pueblo were blocks of native sandstone, shaped . . . — — Map (db m68887) HM
Six hundred feet to the west of this location stood the original Little Colorado River Bridge. This steel truss bridge designed by the Arizona Highway Department stood at that location for 1928 to 1988. This landmark structure remained intact and . . . — — Map (db m95155) HM
Puerco Pueblo means different things to different people. Visitors come here to learn about the past and make their own personal connections by walking within this ancient community. Artists have also found inspiration by spending time at this . . . — — Map (db m68894) HM
Navajo County Courthouse
In 1896, the U.S. Congress passed enabling legislation
to provide a permanent courthouse at Holbrook.
Construction was delayed until Frank A. Zuck donated
land in April of 1898. Plans submitted by Phoenix . . . — — Map (db m30158) HM
More than 650 images adorn the boulders below – one of the largest concentrations of petroglyphs in the park.
People who farmed the Puerco River Valley 650 to 2,000 years ago pecked these petroglyphs onto the rocks, leaving a legacy etched . . . — — Map (db m68874) HM
Petrified Forest is a laboratory where scientists study not only the fossil record, but the records of earlier discoveries by naturalists and paleontologists.
Interest in the areas fossils goes back to 1853, when a U.S. Army expedition . . . — — Map (db m68873) HM
You are standing near old Route 66. The line of the roadbed and the telephone poles in front of you mark the path of the famous "Main Street of America" as it passed through Petrified Forest National Park. From Chicago to Los Angeles, this heavily . . . — — Map (db m68904) HM
Across the Puerco River, the tracks of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad stretch for miles to the east and to the west. With no landforms or forests to block your view, you can see very long trains from beginning to end. More than 60 trains . . . — — Map (db m119934) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — — Map (db m71151) HM
A solstice is an astronomical event that happens twice annually as the Sun reaches its highest or lowest point in the sky. Here in the Northern Hemisphere, June 20th is usually the longest day of the year and is referred to as the summer solstice. . . . — — Map (db m68888) HM
The Painted Desert stretches before you as an outdoor museum of fossilized plants and animals. Its striking colors emanate from the Chinle Formation of the Late Triassic, which has been eroded by the Little Colorado River drainage system.
An . . . — — Map (db m68896) HM
The dry plateau lands of this region today are far different from the tree-littered floodplains of 225 million years ago during the geologic period called the Triassic. Imagine a forested Triassic land where crocodile-like phytosaurs inhabited the . . . — — Map (db m68868) HM
The village on the Rio Puerco (Puerco Pueblo) is a prehistoric settlement built of shaped sandstone blocks by ancestral Puebloan people. It was inhabited between A.D. 1250 and 1380. At its peak the pueblo had over 100 rooms, with a possible . . . — — Map (db m68881) HM
For thousands of years, indigenous people have used rock faces as means of communication. Petroglyphs are images, symbols, or designs scratched, pecked, carved, or incised on the surface of rock. These features are like whispers from the past and . . . — — Map (db m68893) HM
Dear Mr. Paul Lewis
It is my pleasure to inform you that the Wigwam Village #6 at 811 W. Hopi Dr. in Holbrook was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2002.
As you know, the National Register is the official listing . . . — — Map (db m119936) HM
A group of colonists called by Brigham Young, under the leadership of William C. Allen settled here March 24, 1876. They erected a fort of cottonwood logs and mud on this site. It was first known as Allen's Camp. In 1878 the name was changed to St. . . . — — Map (db m36386) HM
A pioneer wagon road came through this area and went to Fort Apache, established in 1870. Hay, which was delivered to the fort, was one of the few cash crops in those early days. The road is now covered by Rainbow Lake.
Early sheepmen first . . . — — Map (db m36741) HM
The White Mountain communities dedicate this memorial to the
courageous men and women who voluntarily put themselves in harm's way to protect
from imminent destruction by the Rodeo-Chediski Fire.
By the Grace of God, and through the . . . — — Map (db m36745) HM
These pictographs were made by Native Americans some 800 to 2,000 years ago.
How were they made?
Paint was made from powdered minerals, charcoal or crushed plants and mixed with a binder such as saliva, blood or vegetable juices. A yucca . . . — — Map (db m68674) HM
Full of hope in the spring of 1883 Sadie Richardson arrived at the townsite of Wilford with her husband and four other Mormon families.
They built cabins and corrals for their cattle. They cleared the land and planted corn, potatoes, wheat, . . . — — Map (db m68679) HM
The smell of burning pinyon lingers in the air. You've just enjoyed a bowl of corn meal mush. The corn has been stored since last season and still feeds the family.
Fall is coming. Soon it will be time to gather pinyon nuts and walnuts.
A . . . — — Map (db m68675) HM
From 1915 to 1949 the Heber Ranger Station Stood at this site.
The year is 1910 and you decide you'd like to be a Forest Service Ranger. To pass the test you'll need to know the local country, be able to take care of yourself and your . . . — — Map (db m68676) HM
For 75 years this bell tolled throughout Pinedale Valley as a symbol of unity, calling the settlers to school, church and socials and warning of disaster. Purchased in 1892, it hung for many years in a log schoolhouse near this site. Later it was . . . — — Map (db m36666) HM
In recognition of her unselfish participation and example in community beautification. Serving on the town bicentennial committee, she proposed the covered bridge and the planting of pine trees along the lane north to the highway as being worth . . . — — Map (db m36665) HM
The maze of canyonlands stretching before you is the continuing work of millions of years of powerful and pervasive geological forces.
Water scours and down-cuts channels in the soft sandstone plateau. The process is augmented by forces of . . . — — Map (db m71515) HM
Footprints of a small dinosaur that walked on his hind legs. About 180 million years ago, he left a lasting signature by walking through the mud. The print then filled with sediment, and both print and cast (upside-down here) eventually turned to . . . — — Map (db m71516) HM
Follow the easy one-mile (1.6 km) round-trip trail to a point overlooking Betatakin Ruin—multi-level cliff-village home to a community of 13th-century Anasazi farmers.
On the way there and back, youll be walking through pygmy . . . — — Map (db m71519) HM
This miniature forked-stick hogan without a smoke hole is actually a highly effective bath — an ancient solution to the problem of keeping clean in a land where water is scarce.
Heres how it works: Stones are heated in a fire, then . . . — — Map (db m71517) HM
Hidden away in Tsegi Canyons wilderness of bare rock, sand, and sparse vegetation are surprising pockets of luxuriant growth. Betatakin Canyon—home to a village of prehistoric cliff-dwellings farmers—is one of these oases. Fir Canyon, . . . — — Map (db m71514) HM
You can tell that this two-horse wagon has traveled many a mile over rough Navajo reservation roads. One of the many styles made around the turn of the century specifically for the Indian trade, and sold at trading posts. Horse drawn wagons are a . . . — — Map (db m71518) HM
In 1876, Corydon E. Cooley and Marion Clark, two ranchers who had both laid claim to, and eventually became partners in managing 100,000 acres of land at the northwest edge of the White Mountains determined that the land could not support two . . . — — Map (db m36664) HM
In 1870 Corydon E. Cooley, a government scout and Marion Clark entered this valley and located ranches. Cooley built a log house on the hill. By 1876 many families came, including Alfred Cluff, David E. Adams, Thomas W. Adair, Heber Dalton and . . . — — Map (db m36663) HM
One of the remaining one-room brick schoolhouses in Northern Arizona was built in 1900 of fired brick.
The school was named for Charles Shumway who settled in Spring Valley (now Silver Creek Valley) in 1878 and built a grist mill for wheat and . . . — — Map (db m36738) HM
Born December 2, 1834 in Stockholm, New York, son of Silas and Mary Aikens Smith, and first cousin to the Prophet Joseph Smith, he crossed the great plains to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847 with the Mormon pioneers. Called to help colonize Parowan in . . . — — Map (db m36736) HM
A new pioneer settlement was begun on July 21, 1878, when William J. Flake and his wives Lucy and Prudence led five families, their wagons and livestock into this valley. Lucy Flake described the scene as "a beautiful place" with "clear water" and . . . — — Map (db m36717) HM
A.Z. Palmer was one of the original settlers of Snowflake and established the first store there with Mark Kartchner, a brother-in-law. In 1895 he purchased the store located on this site and thereafter became the pre-eminent merchant in the region . . . — — Map (db m36692) HM
Construction began in 1930 by Jane Hatch, Lizzie Willis and Emma Kartchner. The building was neglected for several years and in the early 1950's seven couples agreed to save the home, which became the clubhouse for the 20-30 Club. On November 2, . . . — — Map (db m36695) HM
George P. Hatch married Dora Palmer, A. Z.'s daughter, and later they began an ice cream parlor in A.Z.'s store. When A. Z. Died, they bought out Dora's siblings. Dora's store experience plus George's business college background brought great . . . — — Map (db m36693) HM
In 1945, Reed & Burt Hatch, brothers & partners, purchased this building from the A.Z. Palmer Family, as they had outgrown the building where they operated a thriving general store. After some renovation, the building was renamed "Hatch Bros. . . . — — Map (db m36694) HM
On October 1, 1958, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) was created to promote American civilian interests in space. Established at first to direct the nations efforts toward the scientific exploration of space, the . . . — — Map (db m71635) HM
Has Been Designated A
Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites act of August 21, 1935
this site possesses exceptional values
in illustrating the natural
history of the United States.
U.S. . . . — — Map (db m41532) HM
Brigham City, first called Ballenger's Camp, was established here in April, 1876, as one of four fortified settlements erected along the Little Colorado River by Mormon pioneers of the United Order. They farmed the land, dammed the river and built a . . . — — Map (db m36331) HM
March 24, 1876, Mormon colonization in Arizona began here with the establishment of Ballanger's Camp, later Brigham City, by Lot Smith, Jesse O. Ballanger, George Lake, William C. Allen and others sent from Utah by Brigham Young. They also . . . — — Map (db m96974) HM
La Posada was the last of the great
Fred Harvey/Santa Fe Railway hotels.
This is the masterpiece of
Mary Jane Colter
considered by many to be
the greatest of all
La Posada is on the National and State . . . — — Map (db m32787) HM
These two steel beams from the World Trade Center
entrusted to the citizens of Winslow
by the city of New York,
along with this flag that was flown at the Pentagon;
stand as the centerpiece of our Remembrance Garden.
The words "United We . . . — — Map (db m36325) HM
This area was dedicated on September 11, 1999 as a tribute to the memorable song of the 1970's that made Winslow, Arizona a town to sing about on famous Route 66.
Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark . . . — — Map (db m36329) HM
This crossing, first noted early in the 1850s in journals and maps of explorers along the 35th parallel, is the only convergence of major travel routes on the Little Colorado River. It lies on the trail used by Mormon immigrants journeying from Utah . . . — — Map (db m32722) HM
This date medallion is from the Winslow Bridge that once spanned the Little Colorado River on historic Route 66 just east of Winslow. Because the river had always proved a daunting impediment to travelers, this bridge crossing became a strategic . . . — — Map (db m32781) HM
Dedicated to the Honorable Carl Hayden, United States Senator and to the Honorable Frank R. Goodman, former State Highway Engineer. Both being good roads advocates who by their close application and untiring efforts contributed much to the . . . — — Map (db m36275) HM