Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Niagara Region Ontario Historical Markers

202 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2
 
The Old Welland Canal Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
The Old Welland Canal Marker
Ontario (Niagara Region), Allanburg — The Old Welland Canal
Originally conceived in 1818 by its promoter, William Hamilton Merritt, to divert trade from the Erie Canal and New York and built under private auspices, the canal was opened to traffic in 1829. After additional work in 1833, the canal with its 40 . . . — Map (db m75850) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Battle of Chippawa
[Text on the West Side]: Battle of Chippawa 5 July 1814 In memory of all those who fought on this ground, many of whom are buried nearby, and to commemorate the peace that has prevailed between Canada and the . . . — Map (db m49393) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 1Background to a Battle
On these fields and the surrounding woods 4,000 American, British, Canadian and Native forces fought the first major battle of the Niagara campaign of 1814. When the last shots died away on Samuel Street's farm, more than 800 lay dead and wounded. . . . — Map (db m49398) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 2Opening Strikes — July 5, 1814 3:00 p.m.
At dawn 5 July 1814, parties of Canadian-Militia and British allied Native Warriors scouted the American camp. They began sniping from the bushes on the north side of Street's Creek and this continued throughout the morning. Around noon, General . . . — Map (db m49399) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 3Advance to Contact — July 5, 1814 3:30 p.m.
Major General Phineas Riall, the British commander, had repaired the bridge over the Chippawa and ordered his own Regular light infantry, the local Canadians of the 2nd Lincoln Militia and a force of Native Warriors, to clear out the now scattered . . . — Map (db m49400) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 4Battle on the Plain — July 5, 1814 4:30 p.m.
British General Riall was convinced that the greater part of Brown's army was still surrounding Fort Erie. He did not know the Fort had surrendered and he was facing the entire U.S. division. Still, the number of men deployed on both sides was . . . — Map (db m49402) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 5Final Stages — July 5, 1814 5:30 p.m.
As the battle raged, more American artillery deployed to the middle of the plain between the 11th U.S. and the lone 25th U.S. company, less than 100 meters (109 yards) from the British line. General Brown then led Ripley's brigade across Street's . . . — Map (db m49403) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 6The Aftermath
The Aftermath. In the days following the battle, General Brown's victorious troops advanced another 25 kilometers (18 miles) north to Fort George before retiring back to Niagara Falls when more British troops arrived in the area. They met the . . . — Map (db m49404) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Church of the Holy Trinity
A frame church was built here following the arrival in 1820 of an Anglican missionary, the Reverend William Leeming. It was burned on the night of September 12-13, 1839, by supporters of William Lyon Mackenzie who crossed the Niagara River from New . . . — Map (db m78869) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Fort Chippawa 1791
The fortifications which stood on this site were built in 1791 to protect the southern terminus of the Niagara portage road, and serve as a forwarding depot for government supplies. Known also as Fort Welland, the main structure consisted of a log . . . — Map (db m49164) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Navy IslandÎle Navy

The British used Navy Island from 1761 to 1764 as a shipyard in which to build the first British decked vessels to sail the upper lakes. These were essential in maintaining the supply lines westward during Pontiac's uprising, 1763-4. Thereafter . . . — Map (db m49052) HM

Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — Niagara River Remedial Action Plan
Niagara's beauty has been an inspiration for today's environmental movement. Early conservationists such as George Catlin and Frederick Olmstead, who invented the concept of national parks, came to view its wonders. Nurtured by such visions and . . . — Map (db m64652) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — The Battle of ChippawaLa Bataille de Chippawa
Here, on 5 July 1814, an American army under Major-General Jacob Brown launched the last major invasion of Canada during the War of 1812. The Americans defeated a British and Canadian force commanded by Major-General Phineas Riall consisting of . . . — Map (db m49050) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — The Battle of Chippawa
On this site was fought The Battle of Chippawa July 5, 1814. Preservation of the Battleground was made possible by The Niagara Parks Commission with the cooperation of Frank and Mildred Branscombe, River Realty . . . — Map (db m49460) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — The Destruction of The Caroline, 1837
On the night of December 29-30, 1837, some 60 volunteers acting on the orders of Col. Allen Napier MacNab, and commanded by Capt. Andrew Drew, R.N., set out from Chippawa in small boats to capture the American steamer "Caroline". That vessel, which . . . — Map (db m64651) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippawa — The Founding of Chippawa
In 1792-94 a village grew up near Fort Chippawa on Chippawa Creek at the end of the new portage road from Queenston. In 1793 the creek was renamed the Welland River, but the village, where a post-office was opened before 1801, remained "Chippawa". . . . — Map (db m54124) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Chippiwa — Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813
At daybreak on July 5, 1813, a British and Canadian force, consisting of some 35 militia and a small detachment of the 49th Regiment, embarked in this vicinity to attack Fort Schlosser. This American depot (now within Niagara Falls, New York) was . . . — Map (db m49163) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Crystal Beach — Capture of the "Somers" and "Ohio"
On the night of August 12, 1814 seventy seamen and marines, led by Captain Alexander T. Dobbs, R.N.,embarked in this vicinity to attempt the capture of three armed U.S. schooners lying off American-held Fort Erie. One of the six boats used had been . . . — Map (db m53441) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Bertie Street Ferry Landingc. 1796 - 1950
Over the centuries there have been many ferry landings along the Niagara River. Some were built by local merchants and some as government licenced landing points. The longest operating ferry dock was here, near the foot of present-day Bertie . . . — Map (db m75876) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Capture of the "Ohio" and "Somers"Prise des Goelettes "Ohio" et "Somers"
On the night of 12 August 1814, as a prelude to a British attack on Fort Erie, an expedition was mounted against three armed American schooners anchored off the fort. Captain Alexander Dobbs, R.N., embarked with 70 seamen and marines in six batteaux . . . — Map (db m48913) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Conestoga Wagon Trek
The border between Canada and the United States of America has witnessed many migrations of people. At two times, however, the migration was primarily from south to north. That was in the troubled days just prior to the American Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m75851) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Fort Erie
Three fortifications occupied this site. The first (1764-1779) and second (c. 1783-1803), located at lower levels, were abandoned when ice and water inundated the works. The third Fort Erie, built between 1805 and 1808, was repaired in January 1814 . . . — Map (db m48912) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Fort Erie Ferry Landings
Throughout the 1800s there were many ferry landings competing for business along the Niagara River. The map below is a compilation of some of these locations. Ferry leases were granted to: Col. John Warren Sr., John Warren Jr., Nelson . . . — Map (db m75877) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Fort Erie, Pro Patria Mori Cairn
[Text on the base of the Cairn]; Here are buried 150 British Officers and Men Who fell in the attack on Fort Erie On the 26th day of August, 1814, and three of the defenders, men of the United States Infantry, whose remains . . . — Map (db m54139) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Freedom Park
From around 1830 to 1860, thousands of freedom seekers used the Underground Railroad to reach sanctuary in Canada - the “promised land”. Many crossed the Niagara River from the United State to Fort Erie, including Josiah Henson and his . . . — Map (db m75878) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Fort Erie — Frenchman's Creek
In an effort to regain the initiative lost at Queenston, the Americans planned a general invasion for 28 November 1812. Before dawn advance parties crossed the Niagara River to cut communications between Fort Erie and Chippawa and to silence the . . . — Map (db m49049) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Grimsby — Engagement at the Forty
[English Text]: Engagement at the Forty Here at the Forty Mile Creek, on 8th June, 1813, American forces, retreating after the Battle of Stoney Creek, were bombarded by a British flotilla under Sir James Lucas Yeo. Indians and . . . — Map (db m56704) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Grimsby — Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial Flagpole
We dedicate this flagpole to the Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial peace garden in honour of the "Encounter at the Forty" at this site on June 8, 1813, a turning point in the War of 1812 by the United States and the British. Also, to celebrate 200 . . . — Map (db m56993) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Grimsby — Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial Gazebo
We dedicate this gazebo to the Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial Peace Garden and to the residents of Grimsby, In commemoration of 200 years of peace between Canada and the United States. The design of the gazebo was inspired by elements of Fort George . . . — Map (db m57034) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — 3. The Capture of the Redan and the Death of Brock
On the river banks below here, the Americans were trapped. To the right the Americans scaled the river cliff and seized the Heights above. To the left the British held the Village of Queenston. A British 18-pounder cannon situated here within an . . . — Map (db m75875) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — About the year 1600 B.C. ...
About the year 1600 B.C., the Falls of Niagara was located at this point in the Niagara River. During the 12,000 year history of the Falls, it has receded from its initial breach of the escarpment at Queenston Height to is present location 3.66 km. . . . — Map (db m79652) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Battle of Lundy's LaneBataille de Lundy's Lane
This was the site of the bloodiest battle of the War of 1812. On the afternoon of 25th July, 1814, Lieutenant-General Gordon Drummond with about 2800 men engaged the invading American army which had recently been victorious at Chippawa. The armies . . . — Map (db m49053) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Bridgewater Mills
In the late 1790's the river flowed swiftly around these islands. The Bridgewater Mills, a water powered saw and grist mill and an iron foundry, where the first bar iron was made in Canada, were located here. The Mills were burned by the retreating . . . — Map (db m53402) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Burch’s Mill
In 1786 John Burch, a United Empire loyalist, constructed a water-powered grist and sawmill on this site. He was the first to use the waters on the west bank of the Niagara River for industrial purposes. The mills were burned by the retreating . . . — Map (db m79766) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Buried Railway Trestle and Buried Gorge
The cut stone markers are the ends of a buried steel trestle that carried the tracks of the Niagara Falls Park and River Railway. It spanned the ravine created by Bowman’s Creek which eroded the soft glacial debris of the buried gorge of a . . . — Map (db m79563) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Charles Green1740 - 1827 — United Empire Loyalist
“If the captain wants me, he may come himself and if he does I will shoot him.” With these words, Charles Green refused induction into the N. Jersey rebel militia. Imprisoned, he escaped and joined the “King’s Rangers” a . . . — Map (db m75879) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Ebenezer Community
In 1852 this was the site of the Ebenezer religious community of 800 people. It had log houses, a wharf, store, blacksmith shop, sawmill, woolen mill, flour mill, cannery, cabinet shop and a communal dining hall. Their best known product was high . . . — Map (db m64653) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Edgeworth Ussher, Esq.
Edgeworth Ussher, Esq. November 16, 1838 Here rests, in the hope of a joyful resurrection, the mortal remains of Edgeworth Ussher, Esq., whose devotion to his sovereign and exertions in the cause of his country at a critical . . . — Map (db m75852) HM WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Floral ClockHistory
The Floral Clock at Queenston was built by Ontario Hydro in 1950. The idea to build the attraction came from Dr. Richard Lankaster Heam, Hydro’s General Manager and Chief Engineer at the time. While preparing for a business trip to England, Mr. . . . — Map (db m79106) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Holding the High Ground
Early on the morning of July 26th, 1814, Lieutenant-General Sir Gordon Drummond awaited another attack on the Lundy's Lane hill near Niagara Falls. Throughout the previous night, this hill had been taken and retaken in the bloodiest, most hard . . . — Map (db m49693) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Indian Ossuary
200 yards north west of the highest point was situated the largest Indian Ossuary yet discovered in the Province. First discovered in 1828. Bones and sand removed in 1908. — Map (db m75853) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — International Rainbow Bridge CommemorationKing George VI and Queen Elizabeth — June 7, 1939
The adjacent stone monument commemorates the visit of their majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to view the site of the Rainbow Bridge on June 7, 1939. Originally laid at the base of the carillon tower, it was severely damaged by an . . . — Map (db m115417) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — José María Heredia(1803–1839) — Niágara
Cuban poet and patriot who sang to Niagara and, as José Martí said, awakened “an ever-burning passion for freedom” in the hearts of all Cubans.                               Niagara                            (fragments) . . . — Map (db m78068) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Laura Secord
[Front Side of the Monument]: To perpetuate the name and fame of Laura Secord who walked alone nearly 20 miles by a circuitous difficult and perilous route, through woods and swamps and over miry . . . — Map (db m49694) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Louis Hennepin 1626 - c. 1705
{The west/city marker side, in English:} Born and educated in Belgium, Hennepin was ordained a Recollet (Franciscan) friar in France. He was an adventurer at heart and undertook priestly duties in several European countries before being . . . — Map (db m35487) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Lundy's Lane Battlefield Commemorative WallCelebrating 100 Years — July 25, 2004
In celebration of the City of Niagara Falls Centennial, and the 190th Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane, fought on July 25, 1814. These limestone panels were created to pay tribute to those who lost their lives in the battle. Let us remember . . . — Map (db m49739) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Park and River Railway
The Niagara River Recreation Trail at this point is laid along the former double-track roadbed of the Niagara Falls Park and River Railway. From 1892 to 1932, before there was an auto route along the gorge, this electric railway carried millions of . . . — Map (db m79520) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse
The Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse, built on this site in 1892, was the first hydraulic powerhouse to use water from the Canadian side of the Niagara River. It generated 2100 hp of direct current electricity for the electric . . . — Map (db m66409) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Glen
The Falls of Niagara were here about 7000 to 8000 years ago, three separate cataracts, about .8 kilometres (.5 miles) apart, fed by drainage from Lake Erie. Then suddenly, other lakes began to pour into Lake Erie, thereby increasing the outflow to . . . — Map (db m34806) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Park Greenhouses
These greenhouses were erected in the year 1946 as a part of the design of the Niagara Parks Commission to develop the natural magnificence of this historic district and to display its charms for the benefit not only of those who are residents of . . . — Map (db m66411) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Portage Road
Following the cession of the east bank of the Niagara River to the United States in 1783, the British authorities felt compelled to transfer the portage road around Niagara Falls to the west bank of the river. Opened in 1789 by a group of private . . . — Map (db m75854) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara River Recreation Trail
This trail is provided and maintained through the earnings of The Niagara Parks Commission. The Commission is a self-funding agency of the Ontario Government dedicated to preserving and enhancing the beauty of the lands adjacent to the Niagara River . . . — Map (db m79579) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Spanish Aero Car
Leonardo Torres Quevedo (1852–1936) was an ingenious Spanish engineer. Among his creations were algebraic machines, remote control devices, dirigibles and the world’s first computer. The Niagara Spanish Aero Car was designed by Leonardo . . . — Map (db m79427) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Nikola TeslaJuly 10, 1856 - January 7, 1943
Nikola Tesla was born to a Serbian family in the village of Smiljan, Croatia. He was a brilliant child who when only 12 years old, upon seeing a lithograph of Niagara Falls declared that one day he would put a wheel under it and “power the . . . — Map (db m115358) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Nikola TeslaAbout This Monument
Speaking about this monument, Canadian sculptor Les Drysdale says: “Tesla is as he would have appeared in 1896, age 39, about the time his inventions were being used to create hydroelectric power at Niagara Falls. As the story goes, . . . — Map (db m115368) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Nikola TeslaInventor — 1856-1943
The St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, Niagara Falls, in partnership with the Niagara Parks Commission, have erected this monument to Nikola Tesla. Physicist, inventor, electrical engineer. Tesla developed the world's first hydroelectric system . . . — Map (db m115369) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — One Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane
This Memorial – is – Erected to Commemorate the celebration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane Held here July 25th 1914 Under the Auspices – of – The . . . — Map (db m54045) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Rainbow Bridge
The Rainbow Bridge, owned and operated by the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, was built in 1940-41 to replace the Upper Steel Arch Bridge. Its abutments are 15.1m (50 ft.) above the level of river ice jams. When it was built its 286m (950 ft.) arch . . . — Map (db m64661) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Ruth Redmond1903 - 1999
Ruth Redmond was a teacher at nearby Stamford Collegiate from 1926 to 1967. In 1954, Miss Redmond began purchasing properties that were adjacent to her home here on the north side of Lundy's Lane. This valuable land was part of the Lundy's Lane . . . — Map (db m57035) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Sir Casimir S. Gzowski 1813-1898
First chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission (1885-93) Gzowski was born in Russia of Polish parents. Forced to emigrate, following participation in the Polish Rising of 1830, he came to Canada in 1841. An exceptionally able engineer, he first . . . — Map (db m37119) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Site of Redan Battery
Near this spot Lieut-Col. John MacDonnell Attorney General of Upper Canada was mortally wounded 13th October 1812. — Map (db m75855) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Soldier's MonumentLundy's Lane
[Front Side of Monument]: Erected by the Canadian Parliament in honour of the victory gained by the British & Canadian Forces on this field on the 25th day of July, 1814 and in grateful remembrance . . . — Map (db m49790) WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Stamford Cottage
200 yards north east of this point stood "Stamford Cottage" later known as "Stamford Park" the home of Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada from 1818 to 1828. The property was purchased in 1822 . . . — Map (db m75856) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Stranded Scow
On August 6, 1918, this dumping scow broke loose from its towing tug about 1.6 kilometres (1 mile) upriver, with Gustav F. Lofberg and James N. Harris aboard. The men opened the bottom dumping doors and the scow grounded in the shallow rapids. They . . . — Map (db m79781) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Table Rock
This is the site of the historic landmark, Table Rock, a shelf of bare rock 61 metres (200 feet) long, 18.3 metres (60 feet) wide. Once part of the crest of the Horseshoe Falls it was left isolated when the Falls receded. Rock falls in 1818, 1828, . . . — Map (db m64668) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Table Rock HouseErected 1853. — Demolished 1926.
The first Table Rock House stood 150 yards north of here. Erected in the year 1853, it occupied a site opposite the historical landmark of Table Rock, an overhanging limestone ledge which fell into the Niagara Gorge in the year 1850. — Map (db m78088) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — The Boundary Waters Treaty
"It is further agreed that the waters herein defined as boundary waters and waters flowing across the boundary shall not be polluted on either side to the injury of health or property of the other." Widely regarded as the first . . . — Map (db m64648) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — The Inukshuk

The inukshuk (pronounced IN-OOK-SHOOK) means “in the image of man.” These magnificent lifelike figures of stone erected by the Inuit people are unique to the Canadian Arctic.

The traditional purpose of an . . . — Map (db m79021) HM

Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara
In 1885, the Province of Ontario established The Niagara Parks Commission as part of an international effort to preserve the natural scenery around Niagara Falls. Originally, the Commission included Colonel Casimir Gzowski, Chairman, John W. . . . — Map (db m116093) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Thomas Baker McQuestenK.C., M.L.A. — 1882 – 1945
Thomas Baker McQuesten was born in Hespeler, Ontario June 30, 1882. In 1934 he was appointed Minister of Highways and Public Works for the Province of Ontario and Chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission. He served in both positions for ten years. . . . — Map (db m78489) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Thompson Point
This depression was the site in the early 1800’s where John Thompson quarried the exposed limestone ridge at the edge of the gorge, and processed it into agricultural lime. There were two lime kilns and a water-powered sawmill on the site which . . . — Map (db m79421) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Tightrope Walker Nik WallendaOn June 15, 2012 — Niagara Parks
On June 15, 2012, the world watched as professional tightrope walker Nik Wallenda crossed the Niagara Gorge on a wire. Table Rock complex marked the Canadian end point for this high wire walk, which began at Terrapin Point, directly across the Gorge . . . — Map (db m64660) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — To the Memory of Burrell Hecock
To the memory of Burrell Hecock of Cleveland Ohio Aged 17 Years Who lost his life in an heroic attempt to rescue Mr and Mrs Eldridge Stanton of Toronto Ontario when the ice bridge in the gorge immediately below . . . — Map (db m35065) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — To the Memory of the Pioneersand the Red Meeting House — 1817-1869
Genesee Methodist Conference met here July 1820. — Map (db m75880) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Toronto Power Generating StationLa centrale Électrique de la Toronto Power
Opened in 1906 to supply the Toronto market, this generating station was the first wholly Canadian-owned hydro-electric facility at Niagara Falls. Engineers adapted advanced European and American technologies to a difficult site in a bold and . . . — Map (db m79737) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — U.S. Infantry TrenchJuly 23, 1814
This Monument erected July 25, 1991 by the American Legion, Niagara County Committee & Dept. of New York In memory of the U.S. Officers & Soldiers who died at the Battle of Lundy's Lane Connecticut 25th; New York 23rd; Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m49695) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Upper Steel Arch Bridge
An abutment of the Upper Steel Arch Bridge built on this site 1897-98, is visible on the U.S. shore of the river. Also known as the Falls View Bridge and the Honeymoon Bridge, it stood until January 27, 1938, when an ice jam pushed the bridge off . . . — Map (db m79521) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Upper Suspension Bridge
This plaque marks the entrance to the Upper Suspension Bridge, opened in July 1869, then the longest suspension bridge in the world. The iron cables were hung from timber towers. In 1884-87, this wooden bridge was changed to steel. In 1898, this . . . — Map (db m64670) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Whirlpool Rapids Gorge
An ancient river pre-dating the Wisconsin Glacier flowed through the channel of the Whirlpool Rapids and the Whirlpool draining glacial Lake Erie. After the retreat of the glacier when the present river broke through the rock barriers at Thompson . . . — Map (db m79581) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Wm. B. RankineOperating Station of Canadian Niagara Power Company, Limited
Built in 1901-05, it was the first Powerhouse on the Canadian side to produce electrical energy for commercial use and sale outside Niagara Falls. Its location takes advantage of the natural flow of the river which formerly entered here to flow . . . — Map (db m116098) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Zimmerman Fountain Pond
This beautiful fountain takes its name from Samuel Zimmerman who came to Canada from Pennsylvania in 1842. He amassed a fortune through a series of lucrative contracts involving the building of the second Welland Canal and various Railway Lines, . . . — Map (db m75881) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara on the Lake — Niagara on the Lake Historical District
(Left side is in English) In 1778, Loyalist refugees began crossing from Fort Niagara to settle the west bank of the Niagara River. A town was laid out in a grid pattern of four-acre blocks and grew quickly, gaining prominence as the first . . . — Map (db m24585) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Fort EvolvesFort Mississauga
The Tower By 1813, the British were planning to build "a tower in small redoubt to command the entrance of the River...at Mississauga Point." Begun in the Spring of 1814, this tower rests on the remains of the first Capital of . . . — Map (db m52200) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Strategic Location
A Strategic Location You are standing at Mississauga Point where the Niagara River flows into Lake Ontario. Long ago the lakes and rivers were military supply and transportation routes and forts were built to protect them. . . . — Map (db m52610) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Strategic Site
Fort Niagara was only 1200 metres from Fort George, well within artillery range. In May, 1813, combined artillery fire from Fort Niagara, its detached batteries, and American warships at the river's mouth completely destroyed Fort George and . . . — Map (db m53604) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Action at Butler's FarmEngagement a Butler's Farm
On the 8th of July, 1813, an outpost of the invading force, encamped near Fort George, was defeated by a band of Six Nations and Western Indians led by Chiefs John Norton and Blackbird and interpreters Michel Brisebois, Louis Langlade and Barnet . . . — Map (db m48747) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Brown's Point
Brown's Inn was located here. Both the Canadian York Militia and the American Army bivouacked near here on separate occasions during the War of 1812. Adam Brown later added a store to his inn, and built a wharf on the river shore below, where . . . — Map (db m49166) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Brown's Point
Brown's Point Here Gen. Sir Isaac Brock called out on his way to Queenston Heights 13th October 1812 "Push On York Volunteers." — Map (db m49482) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Butler's Rangers
In 1777 John Butler of New York raised a force of Rangers who, with their Iroquois allies, raided the frontiers of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey throughout the American Revolutionary War. From their base at Fort Niagara they successfully . . . — Map (db m75857) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Capture of Fort Niagara1813
In the early morning of December 19th, 1813, a force under Colonel John Murray, consisting of detachments of the 100th and 41st Regiments. Royal Scots, Royal Artillery and Canadian Militia embarked in bateaux at the foot of this ravine. Crossing . . . — Map (db m49158) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Chloe Cooley and the 1793 Act to Limit Slavery in Upper Canada
On March 14, 1793 Chloe Cooley, an enslaved Black woman in Queenston, was bound, thrown in a boat and sold across the river to a new owner in the United States. Her screams and violent resistance were brought to the attention of Lieutenant Governor . . . — Map (db m75858) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort GeorgeIe Fort George
Constructed by order of Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe 1796-99, Fort George served as the headquarters for Major-General Brock in 1812. In May, 1813, it was bombarded and captured by the Americans who constructed fortifications of their own on the site. . . . — Map (db m48743) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort MississaugaLe Fort Mississauga
This tower and earthwork are all that survive of the barracks, guardroom, and cells of Fort Mississauga. Built between 1814 and 1816 to replace Fort George as the counterpoise to the American Fort Niagara immediately opposite, it was garrisoned . . . — Map (db m48745) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Mississauga is a National Historic Sitean impotant part of Canada's story!
• Mississauga Point was the location of a Neutral First Nation fishing settlement by the 15th century. • The area was under the control of the Seneca Nation during the late 17th century, and it became home to the Mississauga Nation by the 18th . . . — Map (db m52236) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Mississauga TrailSentier du fort Mississauga
Explore a part of our heritage - visit a fort almost 200 years old and discover part of the Lake Ontario shoreline. Explorez un volet de notre patrimoine - visitez un fort qui a presque 200 ans d'histoire et decouvrez une partie du rivage du . . . — Map (db m48632) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Niagara
Across the Niagara River is the imposing American stronghold, Fort Niagara. Originally built by the French, then occupied by the British, and finally by the Americans, this fort for nearly 150 years stood guard over the traditional supply route to . . . — Map (db m53630) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Guns Gins and Devil Carts
Garrison guns were heavy and awkward to move. To be transported, the barrel had to be taken off the carriage with the help of a tripod hoist or gun gin. The gin was equipped with a pulley system that made it possible for two men to lift the barrel. . . . — Map (db m54006) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Janet Carnochan 1839 - 1926
For more than thirty years Janet Carnochan, a native of Stamford, Ontario, taught elementary and secondary school at Niagara-on-the Lake, but she made her greatest contribution to the community as a historian rather than as an educator. A . . . — Map (db m75859) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — John Graves SimcoeFirst Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada 1791-1796
Here at Niagara on September 17, 1792 he presided over the first representative assembly of this province. His genius foresaw the greatness of this country and he threw himself into its building with ardour and enthusiasm. . . . — Map (db m49475) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — John Graves Simcoe1752-1806
Simcoe was born in Northamptonshire and educated at Oxford. He joined the British army in 1771, and from 1777-81 commanded the Queen's Rangers, a Loyalist corps in America. After the Loyalist influx had led to the creation of a separate province of . . . — Map (db m75860) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Joseph-Geneviere, Comte de Puisaye
Soldier, politician, diplomatist and colonizer, de Puisaye was born at Mortagne-en-Perche, France, about 1755 and enlisted in the French Army at 18. Elected to the States General in 1789, he supported reform but, alarmed by the course of the . . . — Map (db m49159) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Later YearsInoculation at Old Navy Hall, Niagara Camp
[Text on Marker]: Immediately after the War of 1812, a new wooden storehouse was built on this site. It was converted into barracks for British troops during the border troubles of 1838. The building remained in use until the 20th . . . — Map (db m49478) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Lieutenant-Colonel John Butler 1725-1796
Born in New London, Connecticut, Butler settled in the Mohawk Valley, New York, in 1742. Commissioned in the British Indian Department in 1755, he served in the Seven Years War. At the outbreak of the American Revolution , he was compelled to leave . . . — Map (db m49165) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Locomotive Turntable
For 103 years, beginning in 1854, a train powered by a steam locomotive pulled into the Niagara Dock. At first it only came from Chippawa via Niagara Falls and Queenston but by 1863 the line had been extended as far as Fort Erie and Buffalo. The . . . — Map (db m54079) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — McFarland House 1800
This Georgian style house was built in 1800 by John McFarland (1757-1815) and his sons, on land granted by the Crown. It is one of the oldest surviving structures in the Niagara district. During the War of 1812 it was used as a hospital by both . . . — Map (db m49480) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Memorial Hall, 1906
This building, the first in Ontario to be constructed for use solely as an historical museum, was begun in 1906 and completed the following year. Its erection was due largely to the dedicated efforts of Miss Janet Carnochan, founder, and for thirty . . . — Map (db m75861) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Navy Hall
The facilities of this strategic location have served British and later Canadian troops stationed at Niagara from 1765 to the 1920's. — Map (db m49477) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Negro Burial Ground 1830
Here stood a Baptist church erected in 1830 through the exertions of a former British soldier. John Oakley, who although white, became pastor of a predominantly negro congregation. In 1793 Upper Canada had passed an act forbidding further . . . — Map (db m75862) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara ApothecaryLa Pharmacie De Niagara
Acquired by the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969, the Niagara Apothecary is a fine example of a Confederation era commercial establishment and pharmacy. Although the building probably dates to the 1820's. It was extensively renovated in 1866 when . . . — Map (db m24609) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Harbour and Dock Company
Formed by local businessmen in 1831, the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company created a shipping basin here on the Niagara River by hiring hundreds of labourers to excavate a riverside marsh. By the late 1830s the company employed close to 400 workers . . . — Map (db m54049) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Land Purchases
To obtain land on which to settle Loyalists and dispossessed members of the Six Nations of the Iroquois, Guy Johnson in May 1781 and John Butler in May 1784 negotiated treaties with representatives of the Mississauga and Chippewa of this region. The . . . — Map (db m75863) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara National Historic Sites
Brock's Monument and Queenston Heights: This striking commemoration and final resting place of Major General Brock marks the site of the Battle of Queenston Heights. Visitors can climb the 235 stairs to take in spectacular views, or . . . — Map (db m54037) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Point Mississauga LighthouseLe Phare de Point Mississauga
The first lighthouse on the Great Lakes was built of stone at Point Mississauga in 1804 by John Symington, under orders from Lieutenant-Governor Peter Hunter. Demolished in 1814 to make room for this fort, its materials with debris from the ruined . . . — Map (db m48746) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Sir Isaac Brock's First Burial Site
Placed Here by the Niagara Historical Society This Marks The Spot Where Gen. Sir Isaac Brock, was buried from 1812 To 1824 — Map (db m53535) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Six Pounder Field Gun
Field artillery was designed for mobility. Cannons mounted on carriages with large wheels could be moved quickly, even over rough terrain. This six pounder has a limber to carry ammunition and supplies and would be harnessed to a team of horses. . . . — Map (db m54000) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Southern Terminus of The Bruce Trail
This cairn marks the southern terminus of the Bruce Trail, a cross-country foot trail established along or adjacent to the Niagara Escarpment extending from Tobermory on Georgian Bay in the north to this southern terminus at Queenston Heights. . . . — Map (db m79046) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1835
The Parish of St. Vincent de Paul is the direct successor of the many and often interrupted endeavors in the Niagara area since 1626. At first concerned with native peoples, later French and then English-speaking priests came as chaplains for the . . . — Map (db m37237) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Battle of Fort GeorgeLa Bataille de Fort George
On the 25th May, 1813, the American Fleet and the Batteries at Fort Niagara across the river began a devastating two-day bombardment of Fort George. On the 27th a large American force was landed and after a brief engagement in which his outnumbered . . . — Map (db m48628) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Canada Constellation1799-1800
On July 20, 1799, the first edition of the "Canada Constellation", Upper Canada's earliest independent newspaper, was published at Niagara by Gideon and Silvester Tiffany, two brothers who had come from the United States. Gideon had at first held . . . — Map (db m75864) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Early Years
[Text on Marker]: Navy Hall originally consisted of a small shipyard, storehouses, residences and docks which served as a depot for local supplies; it also served as a trans-shipment point for the posts on the upper Great Lakes. From . . . — Map (db m49476) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Field House
One of the oldest brick houses in Ontario, this handsome Georgian structure was built about 1800. Originally a farm house, it was the home of Gilbert Field (1765-1815), a United Empire Loyalist who was in possesion of the land by 1790. During the . . . — Map (db m56718) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Fortified Mouth of the Niagara River
The St.Lawrence and Great Lakes system was the most efficient route to the interior of the continent of North America. Large waterways allowed for substantial sailing vessels to trade and maintain contact with Native allies from Montreal to the . . . — Map (db m53624) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Remains of Three Soldiers
Here was found in August 1899 The remains of three Soldiers who fell on 27th May 1813 In defense of our country — Map (db m48629) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Upper Canadian Act Against Slavery (1793)
Inspired by the abolitionist sentiment emerging in the late 18th century, Lieutenant-Governor J.G. Simcoe made Upper Canada the first British territory to legislate against slavery, which had defined the conditions of life for most people of African . . . — Map (db m75865) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Thomas Moore(1779 - 1852)
One of Ireland's best loved and renowned poets and lyricists, Thomas Moore visited Niagara during July 1804. Captivated by the scenic splendour of the area and as guest of Col. Isaac Brock, Commander at Fort George, Moore frequently . . . — Map (db m49481) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Ubique
Everywhere Artillery was vitally important to the defense of Upper Canada. Due to a shortage of heavy cannons available in the province, there were only five garrison guns mounted inside Fort George in May of 1813. . . . — Map (db m53989) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Vrooman's BatteryLa Batterie Vrooman
Manned by Captain Samuel Hatt's 5th Lincoln (Militia) Regiment and a small party of the Lincoln Militia Artillery under Lieutenant John Ball, and consisting of one 24-pounder cannon mounted within a crescent-shaped earthwork, this Battery was . . . — Map (db m48750) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Welcome to Fort George
Built in 1796, Fort George was the scene of fierce engagements during the War of 1812. It was captured and destroyed then refortified by the Americans in 1813. It was re-taken by the British later that same year. The fort was abandoned in the . . . — Map (db m54038) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — William Kirby1817-1906
In English: Born in England, Kirby came to Canada in 1839 and began work as a tanner in the vicinity of Niagara-on-the-Lake. There he developed his literary talents and soon after moving into the town in 1848 embarked on a long and . . . — Map (db m34915) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — 1. AttackThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 1 of the 5-stop walking tour
If you go to the lookout behind the Laura Secord monument you will see across the river and slightly to your right the area where a huge American force assembled for the invasion of Canada. In the early hours of October 13, 1812, six hundred . . . — Map (db m55029) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — 2. The Treacherous River CliffThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 2 of the 5-stop walking tour
"An unguarded trail up this steep cliff was the only route which the Americans had to the heights of Queenston. The trail was to your right but does not exist any longer. Trapped on the river shore by unrelenting gunfire, the Americans contemplated . . . — Map (db m55030) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — 4. The Counter-Offensive Takes ShapeThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 4 of the 5-Stop Walking Tour
The Niagara escarpment rises above you. The British reinforcements arriving here from Fort George, in battle dress and exhausted from a "double quick march", struggled up this slope some distance to your right. While the Americans controlled . . . — Map (db m55533) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — 5. The Decisive BattleThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 5 of the 5-stop walking tour
On the plateau before you, the British and Americans met for battle. The British formed a line to your right, the Americans to your left. General Sheaffe formed a British counter-offensive force of nine hundred men in a line shoulder to shoulder. . . . — Map (db m55028) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — 'Alfred'
Early in the morning of October 13, 1812, after galloping seven miles from Fort George, General Brock tethered his gray horse ‘Alfred’ here in the Village of Queenston in order to lead a charge on foot to repel the invading enemy. Brock was killed . . . — Map (db m49167) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Brock Dead HouseThe first of five places where Sir Isaac Brock's body rested after the Battle of Queenston Heights
During the War of 1812, the Brock Dead House was owned by Patrick McCabe. The façade was oriented in an easterly direction, facing the Niagara River. Courtesy Brock University Library, Special Collections and Archives Brock Dead House . . . — Map (db m75882) HM WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Brock's Cenotaph
[Text on North Side of Marker]: Near the spot Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, K.C.B. Provisional Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada fell on 13 - October, 1812 while advancing to repel the invading enemy. [Text . . . — Map (db m49483) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Brock's Monument
Upper Canada has dedicated this monument to the memory of the late Major-General Sir Issac Brock K.B. Provisional Lieut.Governor and commander of the forces in this province whose remains are deposited in the vault . . . — Map (db m49926) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Brock's Monument - Queenston Heights Battlefield
The monument towering above you is a memorial to Major-General Sir Isaac Brock commander of British forces in Upper Canada at the beginning of the War of 1812. Brock died on the slopes below Queenston Heights on October 13, 1812, during an . . . — Map (db m52137) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Fort Drummond
[English Text]: Fort Drummond This small redoubt, or square fortification, and the U-shaped advance battery, named in honour of Sir Gordon Drummond, were built in the late spring of 1814 to defend the main portage road from Chippawa . . . — Map (db m56658) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Home of Laura Ingersoll Secord
[Text inscribed on stone monument]: Home of Laura Ingersoll Secord. [Text on lower plaque]: This stone marker was placed in 1901 by the Women's Literary Club of St. Catharines to honour Laura Secord and was re- . . . — Map (db m51612) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Indians at Queenston HeightsOctober 13, 1812
Warriors of the Six Nations of Iroquois (Mohawks, Oniedas Onondagos, Cayugas, Senecas, Tuscaroras), mainly from the Grand River, fought as allies of the British in this historic battle with the Americans. Speaking distinctive dialects and with . . . — Map (db m49168) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Laura Ingersoll Secord
[Front side of Monument]: This monument has been erected by the Government of Canada to Laura Ingersoll Secord who saved her husband's life in the battle on these heights, October 13th, 1812, and who . . . — Map (db m75866) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Laura Ingersoll Secord 1775-1868
Born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, Laura Ingersoll came to Upper Canada with her father in 1795, and settled in this area. About two years later she married James Secord, a United Empire Loyalist, and within seven years they had moved to this . . . — Map (db m49160) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Laura Secord (1775-1868)
[English text]: The celebrated heroine of the war of 1812 is a renowned figure in Canadian History. Determined to warn the British of an impending attack on Beaver Dams, Secord set out from her home on June 22, 1813, on a dangerous . . . — Map (db m51613) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Major John Richardson1796-1852
This pioneer historian, author and soldier was born in Queenston. His family moved to Amherstburg about 1802, and at the outbreak of the War of 1812 Richardson joined the British army. Retired on half pay in 1818 in London, England, he published the . . . — Map (db m54135) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Sheaffe's Path to Victory
Sheaffe's Path to Victory October 13th 1812 — Map (db m53530) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — Sir Roger Hale Sheaffe1763 - 1851
On October 13, 1812, following Isaac Brock's death in a preceding assault, Major-General Sheaffe assumed command and led a successful attack which dislodged an invading American force from Queenston Heights. Born in Boston, Mass., Sheaffe was . . . — Map (db m49161) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — The "Colored Corps" 1812 - 1815
[Side of Marker Using English Text]: When the War of 1812 began, people of African descent in the Niagara peninsular feared an American invasion. They were anxious to preserve their freedom and prove their loyalty to Britain. Many joined . . . — Map (db m49162) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — The Battle of Queenston HeightsLa Batatille des Hauteurs de Queenston
In the early morning of 13 October 1812, American troops under Major-General Stephen Van Rensellaer crossed the Niagara River and took possession of Queenston Heights. Major-General Isaac Brock hurried from Fort George to lead a small force against . . . — Map (db m48908) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — The Battle of Queenston HeightsThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour
The Battle of Queenston Heights The village below you and the heights on which you are standing were the stage for the famous Battle of Queenston Heights. It took place during the Anglo-American conflict 1812-1815 known as the . . . — Map (db m51682) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — The Founding of Queenston
Following the loss, after the American Revolution of the Niagara River's east bank, a new portage around Niagara Falls was established in the 1780s' with Queenston its northern terminous. Wharves, storehouses and a block-house were built. Robert . . . — Map (db m51621) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — The Niagara Escarpment
Queenston Heights is part of the Niagara escarpment. A height of land which extends 725 kilometers across Ontario from Niagara Falls to Manitoulin Island. Over 430 million years ago, a shallow tropical sea covered most of central North America. . . . — Map (db m51623) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Queenston — The Queenston Baptist Church
By 1808 the Rev. Elkanah Holmes, a missionary from the United States, had organized the first Baptist congregation in Queenston. Following the war of 1812 the congregation declined, was reorganized in 1831 and between 1842 and 1845 erected the . . . — Map (db m51627) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Anglican Church, St. Catharines(1795 - 1836)
On this site stood the Anglican chapel, St. Catharines (1795 - 1836), the first public building in the community. The name St. Catharines became associated with the community and the church. By 1797 a log school house was situated just east of this . . . — Map (db m76085) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — BME ChurchNational Historic Site
[Text on left side of marker]: The Salem Chapel, British Methodist Episcopal Church was the first Black church in St. Catharines. Originally known as the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the name was changed to reflect their loyalty . . . — Map (db m75867) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Bollard
Bollards, used to secure ropes from a ship, are found all along the canal. Most were plain and serviceable. This bollard, made from polished carved limestone and placed on a base, was a prototype for possible use along the present canal. Though . . . — Map (db m76086) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Bollards & FairleadsMooring
Bollards and Fairleads are used to control the lines (rope and cables) used to tie up a ship. Bollards are steel or concrete posts, on land and on a ship, used to secure a vessel. Vessels travelling through the Welland Canal are tied up in each . . . — Map (db m76088) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Cannon Barrel
In 1960, the Lincoln Historical Society (now the St. Catharines Historical Society) recovered this cannon barrel from the banks of Twelve Mile Creek, formerly the route of the First and Second Welland Canals. It had been buried in the area under the . . . — Map (db m76089) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — City Hall 1937St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
Built on the site of the previous City Hall, this building was officially opened in August 1937 and was a hallmark of what was hailed as the dawn of a new era. The previous building, known as Benson House, was a former home that had been used as a . . . — Map (db m76295) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Early Welland Canals
The modern Welland Canal is actually the fourth version to be built since 1829. Unlike the later government-operated canals, the First Welland Canal was built by a private company. The outline on the ground represents a typical lock from the . . . — Map (db m76090) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Harriet Ross Tubman c. 1820-1913
A legendary conductor on the Underground Railroad, Harriet Tubman became known as the "Moses" of her people. Tubman was born into slavery on a Maryland plantation and suffered brutal treatment from numerous owners before escaping in 1849. Over the . . . — Map (db m75868) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Harriet Tubman
. . . — Map (db m75869) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Harriet Tubman(c. 1822-1913)
Born on a Maryland plantation, Harriet Tubman escaped slavery to become one of the great heroes of the 19th century. The most famous "conductor" on the Underground Railroad, she courageously led many of the people she rescued from American slavery . . . — Map (db m75870) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Horse Drawn Grape Hoe
Grape hoes would be drawn by horse through a vineyard, either by pulling the earth away from the grapes or mounding it up to them in order to remove the weed growth. Modern grape hoes perform the same function today. Niagara Grapes and . . . — Map (db m76109) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — In Honoured Memory of the Men of the Township of Grantham
[base] In honoured memory of the men of the Township of Grantham who gave their lives in the Great War. 1914 1918 Canada [apex] Their name liveth for evermore. [left] Vimy Ridge Passchendaele Amiens Arras Drocourt Dury . . . — Map (db m76098) WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — In Memorium Reqviescant in Pace
'The men were very good unto us and we were not hurt. They were a wall unto us both by night and day' 1914·World War I·1918 1939·World War II·1945 1950·Korea·1953 United Nations Peacekeepers Canadian Merchant Navy [right] . . . — Map (db m76294) WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — International Shipmasters' Association
The maritime professionals who sail the ships on the Great Lakes are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their fraternal organization, the I. M. S. A. whose purpose is stated in the Association's constitution, "The purpose of this association's . . . — Map (db m122039) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Lance Corporal Fred Fisher, V.C.1894 - 1915
Born in St, Catharines, Fred Fisher abandoned his studies at McGill University when World War I broke out and served with the 13th Battalion, First Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force. Fisher was awarded the Victoria Cross for his exceptional . . . — Map (db m76094) HM WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Lock 24 - First Welland Canal
A timber lock with inside dimensions of 33.7m (108 ft.) by 6.6m (22 ft.) was constructed on this site between 1824 and 1827. The lock walls consisted of earth filled cribs 5.2m (16 ft) thick and 7.6m (25 ft) deep. This was the 24th lock of 39 that . . . — Map (db m75871) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Louis Shickluna 1808-1880
A prominent Canadian shipbuilder, Shickluna was born in Malta, where he worked before emigrating to North America. By 1835 he was engaged in ship construction at Youngstown, NY. Three years later, attracted by the traffic stimulated by the Welland . . . — Map (db m76272) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Niagara District United Empire Loyalists Memorial
[Upper plaque:] This boulder was on the half-way mark, between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Queenston [Lower plaque:] This memorial is erected in proud memory of pioneer ancestors and to commemorate the one hundred and . . . — Map (db m76095) HM WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Private Alexander Watson
Erected to the memory of Private Alexander Watson, 90th Winnipeg Batt. Rifles, Canadian volunteers, and his companions in arms, who fell in battle during the rebellion in the N.W.T., A.D. 1885. "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." Lt.-Col. . . . — Map (db m76338) WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Rev. Anthony Burns 1834-1862
Born a slave in Virginia, Burns escaped from servitude in 1854 and fled to Boston, where he was arrested under the Fugitive Slave act of 1850. Abolitionists came to his defence and serious riots ensued. This was the last trial of a fugitive slave in . . . — Map (db m76249) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Richard Pierpoint c.1744-c.1838
One of the first Black settlers in this region, Pierpoint was born in Senegal. At the age of about 16 he was imprisoned and shipped to America where he became the slave of a British officer. During the American Revolution he enlisted in the British . . . — Map (db m75872) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Ridley College
One of Ontario's most prominent independent boarding schools, this college, named for a 16th century Christian martyr, was opened in 1889. It was established by Anglican churchman to provide boys with a sound preparatory education and to instill in . . . — Map (db m76250) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Salem Chapel, British Methodist Episcopal Church
Salem Chapel, built in 1855, was an important centre of 19th-century abolitionist and civil rights activity in Canada. Harriet Tubman, the famous Underground Railroad "conductor", lived near here from 1851 to 1858 and is traditionally associated . . . — Map (db m75873) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Shipbuilding in Niagara
Shipbuilding has a long association with the Niagara Peninsula, and is especially linked to the Welland Canals. Russell Armington established this important industry with the launching in 1828 of the WELLAND CANAL. St. Catharines quickly became the . . . — Map (db m76279) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Shipbuilding in St. Catharines 1845Our Heritage — St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
St. Catharines became an important part of the shipping industry due to te building of the Welland Canals and its location between two Great Lakes. Louis Shickluna, a shipbuilder who emigrated to St. Catharines to Malta, began working as a builder . . . — Map (db m76284) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Spring Tooth Cultivator
After a vineyard has been disked, a cultivator is used to break the earth into smaller pieces for a leveller finish. This one, from the Vansickle Road farm of Jim Brown in St. Catharines, was used from about 1900 until 1980 when it was given to the . . . — Map (db m76281) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — St. CatharinesAlso Known As — St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
St. Catharines has been known by a number of names in its history. The city is believed to have been one of the largest Native Settlements in North America. Shortly after the American Revolution, it was settled by Loyalists, the first of these known . . . — Map (db m77056) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — St. Paul Street United Church
[on brick] Exterior designated 1990. Of Italianate styling constructed in red brick (favoured by Methodist Church) between 1861 and 1863. Modeled after the Grace Methodist Church in Buffalo. Significant features: round-headed windows, . . . — Map (db m76307) HM WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — The First Welland Canal 1824-1833
Lock number 6 of the original Welland Canal lies in the adjacent watercourse about 213 metres southwest of here. This first or "wooden" canal, constructed 1824-33 by the Welland Canal Company, ran from Port Dalhousie on Lake Ontario to Port Colborne . . . — Map (db m75874) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — The Founding of St. Catharines
Before this region was settled, several Indian trails intersected here at a ford in Twelve Mile Creek. They were improved by early settlers and a church was erected at the crossroads by 1798. A tavern soon followed and a settlement, known as St. . . . — Map (db m76092) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — The Fourth Welland CanalAn Outstanding Canadian Engineering Achievement
A tribute to Canadian engineering design and construction, the Fourth Welland Canal was built to permit passage of ships between Lakes Ontario and Erie, bypassing Niagara Falls. Constructed in the period 1913 - 1932 at a cost of $130 million, it . . . — Map (db m76084) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — The Welland Canals and the St. Lawrence Seaway System
The Welland Ship Canal is the fourth in a series of successively larger canals that were built to join Lakes Ontario and Erie - the first being completed in 1829. The present Canal was opened in 1932. It forms part of the St. Lawrence Seaway/Great . . . — Map (db m76328) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — This Statue of the Honourable William Hamilton Merritt
has been erected by his grandson William Hamilton Merritt of the City of Toronto, son of William Hamilton Merritt Jr. of St. Catharines, as a tribute to the father of Canadian transportation who through initiatory steps in first waterways and . . . — Map (db m76186) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Vertical Lift Bridges
Twenty vertical lift bridges were constructed to cross the Welland Canal at the time of its opening in 1932. Of the eleven original vertical lift bridges, only three remain in use. This sheave (a grooved wheel that forms part of a pulley) was . . . — Map (db m76326) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Victoria Lawn Cemetery 1855St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
The first person to be buried on this land was a sailor known simply as Brooks. that year, 1855, when the land was still known only as Potter's Fields, seven others were also buried, beginning the establishment of St. Catharines' largest and most . . . — Map (db m76332) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Welland Ship Canal
This plaque erected to mark the 40th anniversary of the opening of the Welland Ship Canal to world shipping on August 6, 1932, commemorates the significant role this historic waterway and our inland fleet play in Canadian national life. This . . . — Map (db m76344) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — William Hamilton Merritt 1793 - 1862
Born of a Loyalist family in the State of New York, Merritt became a pioneer merchant and industrialist on Upper Canada's Niagara frontier. In 1818 he began to promote construction of the Welland Canal, of which he became the first general manager . . . — Map (db m76182) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — William Hamilton Merritt 1793 - 1862
A pioneer in the field of transportation, Merritt was born in Bedford, New York and settled at Twelve Mile Creek (St. Catharines) with his Loyalist family in 1796. He served with the provincial cavalry during the War of 1812, then operated . . . — Map (db m76184) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Davids — Headquarters of DeRottenberg
Headquarters of DeRottenberg 1812Map (db m58109) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Davids — The Burning of St. Davids 1814
On July 18th, 1814, during the final American campaign on the Niagara frontier, Major-General Peter B. Porter sent a detachment of militia from the United States encampment at Queenston to attack St. Davids. This force, commanded by . . . — Map (db m58172) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — Arthur S. Whelan
British by birth - January 13, 1910, Canadian by conviction, World War II veteran, noted photographer. Over 25 years dedicated municipal service on the Board of Education, Public Utilities Commission and Municipal Council with one term as Reeve. His . . . — Map (db m54109) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — Beaver Dams
Following their repulse at Stoney Creek the Americans sent a force from Fort George to destroy a British advanced post at Beaver Dams. Warned of their approach by an Indian scout and by Laura Secord, a force of Indians from Caughnawaga and the Grand . . . — Map (db m48909) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — DeCou House Monument
DeCou's Stone House 1812 -1950 This house of Captain John DeCou (the name was variously spelled by his relatives and descendants and latterly as DeCew) was the Headquarters of the British outpost under Lieut. James . . . — Map (db m56826) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — In Memory of John Bean, Ph.D., M.D.
John Bean was born in Attercliffe, Ontario, on September 8, 1901. He attended Stratford Collegiate Institute in Ontario and Northwestern College before transferring to the University of Michigan, where he earned his degrees and spent the rest of his . . . — Map (db m54119) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — In Memory of Unknown American Soldiers
In Memory of Unknown American Soldiers Who Died in the War of 1812 — Map (db m54120) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — Laura Ingersoll Secord1775 - 1868
Who set out from her home in Queenston early in the morning of June 22, 1813, to walk an arduous nineteen miles to warn the British outpost at DeCew Falls of an impending American attack. The information enabled the local British commander, . . . — Map (db m53392) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Thorold — The Founding of Thorold
During the construction of the original Welland Canal, 1824-1829, a number of communities sprung up along its length. Here, on land belonging to George Keefer, a village known as Thorold had developed by 1828. A large flouring mill was built on the . . . — Map (db m54088) HM

202 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.