Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Northumberland County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Chambers Stamp Factory Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
Chambers Stamp Factory Marker
Virginia (Northumberland County), Callao — O-54 — Chambers Stamp Factory
Two miles northeast, at Lodge, stood the Chambers Stamp Factory, owned by the same family for our generations. Founded in Washington, D.C., about 1830 by Benjamin Chambers, Sr., an engraver and inventor of a breech-loading cannon, the company . . . — Map (db m22491) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Callao — O-72 — The Rev. Paymus Nutt(ca. 1817 – ca. 1899)
The Rev. Paymus (Pyramus) Nutt, born into slavery, helped organize four African American churches in Northumberland County after the Civil War. In 1866 he co-founded First Baptist. Shiloh Baptist, established in 1867, called him to be its first . . . — Map (db m99406) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Callao — O-70 — The War of 1812 / British Attacks at Kinsale and Mundy Point
(side 1) The War of 1812 Impressment of Americans into British service and the violation of American ships were among the causes of America’s War of 1812 with the British, which lasted until 1815. Beginning in 1813, Virginians . . . — Map (db m76405) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Claraville — O-66 — Northumberland Academy
The Virginia General Assembly incorporated the Northumberland Academy in 1818. The school provided classical education for male students to prepare them for college or positions of leadership in the community. Because universal state funded . . . — Map (db m22949) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Claraville — JT-12 — Northumberland House and Mantua
Five miles northeast is the site of Northumberland House, built by the third Peter Presley, who was murdered in 1750. He was the last male descendant of the first William Presley, who settled there and who was a Burgess as early as 1647. Mantua, . . . — Map (db m22715) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-73 — Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III
On 5 Sept. 1791, Robert Carter III (1728-1804), one of the wealthiest men in the United States, filed a deed of manumission at the Northumberland County Courthouse. This document eventually freed more than 500 enslaved African Americans owned by . . . — Map (db m99410) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-65 — John Heath
John Heath was born on 8 May 1758 in Northumberland County. He attended William & Mary College and on 5 Dec. 1776, he and four of his classmates founded Phi Beta Kappa, a prestigious undergraduate honors organization. He became its first president. . . . — Map (db m22550) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — Northumberland County Confederate Monument
In memory of the soldiers of Northumberland who gave their lives for the cause of their native state and the South. This monument is erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Northumberland County Capt. R. H. Hall. . . . — Map (db m76413) WM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — Northumberland Courthouse Square
This site first patented in 1663 was the site of the first courthouse built c.1681. The present courthouse built in 1851 is the third on this site. — Map (db m76414) HM WM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-60 — Rice’s Hotel, Hughlett’s Tavern
Originally known as Hughlett’s Tavern, this building, located behind the courthouse, served visitors to court for more than 150 years. John Hughlett erected the original portion of the tavern before 1795. Griffin H. Foushee, who purchased it in . . . — Map (db m22709) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-49 — St. Stephen’s Parish
Formed in 1653 as Chickacone Parish and renamed Fairfield in 1664. The upper part was known locally as Bowtracy Parish. When St. Stephen’s Parish was formed in 1698, Fairfield became its lower part and Bowtracy its upper part. — Map (db m22706) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Hyacinth — O-70 — British Attacks at Kinsale and Muddy Point / The War of 1812
Two miles east on 3 Aug. 1814, 500 British marines and seamen under Adm. Sir George Cockburn landed at Mundy’s Point and Kinsale. Opposing the enemy at the Point were Capt. William Henderson and thirty Northumberland county militiamen. . . . — Map (db m97687) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Kilmarnock — JX-5 — Morattico Baptist Church
On the hill is Morattico Church, organized in 1778, the mother Baptist church of the Northern Neck. The present building was erected in 1856. Lewis Lunsford, first pastor, is buried here. — Map (db m24477) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Lottsburg — O-53 — Cherry Point and Cowart’s Wharf
Settled by Englishmen about 1640, Cherry Point was later a childhood home of Mary Ball, the mother of George Washington. In August 1814 American militia repulsed a British force there. From the early 1800s to the 1940s, steamboats plied the . . . — Map (db m22531) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Lottsburg — O-48 — Holley Graded School
In 1868, Caroline Putnam (1826–1917) established a school for the children of former slaves here. In 1869, her lifelong friend, Sallie Holley (1818–1893) of N.Y., abolitionist and suffragette, purchased this two-acre site. Holley was an . . . — Map (db m22532) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Nokomis — JT-9 — British Raids on the Coan River
During the War of 1812, on 7 Aug. 1814 ten British ships and smaller vessels appeared on the Coan River, which flows into the Potomac. The invaders sent three barges to capture three American schooners situated within two miles of . . . — Map (db m22536) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Nokomis — O-56 — Coan Baptist Church
One mile west stands Coan Baptist Church. The Congregation, first known as Wicomico Baptist Church, was organized on 17 November 1804. The members worshiped in each other’s houses until a frame building, Coan Meeting House, was moved to this site in . . . — Map (db m22534) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Reedville — JT-91 — Indian Prisoners Abandoned on Tangier Island
Following paramount chief Opechancanough’s 1644 organized attacks against the English colonists for encroaching on Indian lands, Governor William Berkeley led further military strikes against the Virginia Indians in July 1645, taking many prisoners. . . . — Map (db m46718) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Reedville — O-61 — Julius Rosenwald High School
Originally known as Northumberland County Training School, this institution opened in 1917, under principal John M. Ellison. Local African Americans raised more than $7,000 to build the school and received additional funding from the Rosenwald Fund. . . . — Map (db m22954) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Reedville — Morris-Fisher StackCirca 1902
This stack was constructed around 1902 by the Morris-Fisher Co. At the time it was the largest commercial fish processing plant in the United States. In 2011, after years of weather and extensive lightning damage, the stack was restored under the . . . — Map (db m97781) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Reedville — O-51 — Reedville
Elijah W. Reed, a New England ship captain, established the town in 1874 after building a factory here to process menhaden, a small bony fish rich in oil. Reedville soon became the center of the industry and home port to the Atlantic menhaden fleet. . . . — Map (db m22959) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Reedville — O-69 — The War of 1812 / African Americans in the War of 1812
(side 1) The War of 1812 Impressment of Americans into British service and the violation of American ships were among the causes of America’s War of 1812 with the British, which lasted until 1815. Beginning in 1813, Virginians . . . — Map (db m76404) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.