Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oakland County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Berkley Old Village/Fire Hall and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., July 27, 2016
Berkley Old Village/Fire Hall and Marker
Michigan (Oakland County), Berkley — Berkley Old Village/Fire Hall
Leaders in the Berkley territory became keenly interested in becoming an incorporated village in the Spring of 1922, believing that more recognition could be received than if the district remained unincorporated. Officials advocated incorporation on . . . — Map (db m96229) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Berkley — L1060 — Roseland Park Mausoleum
The Roseland Park Mausoleum was the largest public mausoleum in the United States when it was dedicated in 1914. Designed by Detroit architect Louis Kamper (1861-1953), the classically inspired, two-story building contains 1,300 crypts. Before . . . — Map (db m33026) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Bell Building
In 1915, Samuel Oliver Wylie Bell, at one time Village Trustee, bought out his partner George Daines in the combined furniture store and undertaking establishment and built a two story brick structure. In 1929, the store was remodeled and S.S. . . . — Map (db m86485) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Billy McBride Building — 122 West Maple
This building was erected by Billy McBride in 1925. It is located on the site of an old fire-hose drying tower, which was built in 1892 and razed in 1920. After Hallock's Grocery closed, McBride expanded his candy store and restaurant into the . . . — Map (db m86302) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — City Hall
City Hall was built in 1928 and housed the village and township offices, as well as, the fire and police departments. The tower was used for drying fire hoses until about 1950. It was also designed to accommodate a clock. A Civic Center plan, . . . — Map (db m86291) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Field Building
The two story brick building was erected before 1920, by Mr. Ford, who had a paint and hardware business in the west side of the first floor. In the east side there was a 5 & 10’ Store. In 1923, there was a severe fire in the building which resulted . . . — Map (db m86290) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Ford Building — 101 North Old Woodward
This structure was built in 1896 by Frank Ford, who built the Ford-Peabody House in 1878. The corner was occupied by Levinson's Department Store from 1897 to 1916. Two smaller businesses occupied units at the extreme west and north ends. The First . . . — Map (db m86377) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Huston Building
Elmer Huston had this building constructed with two stores on the ground level and apartments above in 1923. It housed the post office and a variety store from 1924 to 1928. In 1929, the Mulholland Dry Goods Company moved into both spaces. The . . . — Map (db m86486) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Johnston-Shaw Building
Dr. Daniel Johnston, dentist, and Dr. Ninian T. Shaw, a physician, had this two story brick commercial building erected in 1905. The facade of this building was extended north to include the O'Neal Building (112 South Old Woodward) and give the . . . — Map (db m86303) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Theater Building
The Briggs Investment Company and John H. Kunsky Theatrical Enterprises erected this large building in 1926 to contain shops, offices, a bowling alley in the basement, and a motion picture theater with facilities for vaudeville productions. The . . . — Map (db m86304) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Erity-Nixon Building
This red brick building was erected in the 1880's by William Erity and his son-in-law, Chauncy Nixon. The Erity family and later the Nixon family owned and operated a mill near the corner of Evergreen Road and Riverside Drive in Beverly Hills. The . . . — Map (db m86379) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The National Bank Building
In 1919, on the former site of the old National Hotel, George Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead erected this building to house the First National Bank and various shops. Throughout the decades, different banks have occupied this building, including the . . . — Map (db m86378) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Quarton Building
Fred V. Quarton erected this building in 1916 on the site of the family home of his wife, Emma Blakeslee. Through the years, the facade at street level has changed several times, but the second floor has kept its original appearance even including . . . — Map (db m86301) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Shain Townhouses
These townhouses were built as two story attached dwelling units in the Arts and Crafts style in 1916. Their use is commercial now, but their appearance is still very much as it originally was. — Map (db m86369) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Bloomfield Hills — L1156 — The Academy of the Sacred Heart
Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five religious of the French order of the Sacred Heart came from New York to Detroit in 1851. The religious opened a school on Jefferson Avenue in June of that year with ten day students and . . . — Map (db m68347) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Bloomfield Township — Van Every Gristmill
In 1837, Colonel Peter Van Every erected a flouring mill on the banks of the Franklin River. For a time, this mill was the only gristmill in Oakland County at which a farmer could sell wheat for cash money. A potashery was erected in 1838 at . . . — Map (db m98769) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Commerce Township — L1155 — Commerce Roller Mill
The Commerce Roller Mill, built in 1837 by Amasa Andrews and Joseph and Asa Farr, harnessed the water power of the Huron River. It served the farm communities of western Oakland County for ninety years, closing in 1927. The mill's owners included . . . — Map (db m99137) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Commerce Township — L1297 — Commerce United Methodist Congregation / Commerce United Methodist Church
Commerce United Methodist Congregation A Methodist Episcopal class, which later became a church society, was organized in Commerce in 1838. For many years, it was part of the Farmington Circuit. The Reverend Daniel C. Jacokes was the . . . — Map (db m99136) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Commerce Township — L1775 — Commerce Village Burying Ground
Side 1 Commerce Township's first burial ground was laid out on the Bela Armstrong farm (then owned by his widow) in 1834. Most of the burials were relocated here in 1837 when the Baptist Church of Commerce platted the Baptist Burying . . . — Map (db m99138) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — City of Farmington — Original Historic District (designated by broken line) Settled 1824
Buildings and sites of historic interest 1. First Post Office, 1825 (23925 Farmington Road) 2. Approximate site of first school, 1826 3. Site of first saw mill, 1826 4. Oldest frame house in Farmington, 1824 5. Site of first tavern, . . . — Map (db m85016) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Farmington Masonic Temple and Farmington Township Hall
The building was constructed in 1876 by the Township of Farmington and the Farmington Masonic Lodge No. 151. The Township government occupied the first floor of the building until 1963 when a new Township facility was constructed. The Masonic Lodge . . . — Map (db m85139) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Farmington's First Post Office
The original house was built on this site in 1825 for Dr. Ezekiel Webb, Farmington's first physician. Dr. Webb was appointed as Farmington's first postmaster in 1826. This house served as a Post Office, physician's office and as a residence for the . . . — Map (db m85098) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — 266 — First Quaker Meeting
In the 1820's, members of the Society of Friends played a key role in the settlement of several Michigan communities. Farmington was founded in 1824 by Arthur Power, a Quaker from Farmington, New York. In 1831, what was apparently Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m85104) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — S371 — Gov. Fred M. Warner
This large white Civil War Era house in the center of Farmington's historic district has been the residence of the Warner family for many decades. Here lived Fred M. Warner, governor of Michigan from 1905 to 1911. Born in England in 1865, Warner . . . — Map (db m85141) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Heeney-Sundquist Funeral Home, Inc. — Michigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Heeney-Sundquist Funeral Home, Inc. founded in 1850 for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m104152) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — L2195 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Sixteen pioneers organized the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1829. The congregation dedicated its first church building in 1844. When that church burned in 1920, Detroit architects and church members Wells Butterfield and his daughter Emily . . . — Map (db m85391) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Oakwood Cemetery
This peaceful area of natural beauty was donated by Arthur Power, Farmington founder, from his original holdings for use as a non-denominational cemetery. The first person to die in Farmington was a Mr. Green, the village cobbler, who was interred . . . — Map (db m85207) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — The Potawatomi Indians of Farmington
The Potawatomi, the Algonquin-speaking tribe most closely associated with this region, were often more friendly to the French and British than to the Americans. Religious and unwarlike, they had no permanent village here as they considered . . . — Map (db m85206) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — The Village Center
Two Indian Trails crossed at this point: the Orchard Lake Trail running north and south, and the Shiawassee Trail running east and west. In 1824, a Quaker settlement began to develop around this point. In the 1850's, the settlement expanded . . . — Map (db m85158) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Travel Through Time — on Farmington's Grand River Avenue
Long before our everyday journeys, people traveled along this important road. This was once the Grand River Trail, a pathway Native Americans followed across Michigan before European settlement. Farmington founder Arthur Power came here along . . . — Map (db m85441) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — "The Stuart Little Pond"
In the spring of 1953, Eleanor Olney Spicer age 12 was walking her dog, a toy Manchester terrier named Stuart Little, after the children's book, Stuart Little by E.B. White. Suddenly Stuart noticed a small animal and chased it into a drainpipe and . . . — Map (db m46697) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2005 — Goodenough - Spicer Stable
Built c. 1918 — Map (db m105657) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2005 — Gray - Spicer House
Built in 1926 — Map (db m105641) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Kirby White House
This Federalist Revival House was designed by talented architect Marcus Burrowes for Kirby White, an executive of Ferry Morse Seed Company. In the 1930s Ferry Morse was the largest seed company in the world. This house is considered the work of a . . . — Map (db m105570) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L955 — Lemuel Botsford House
Lemuel and Lucy Botsford were Quakers. From Salisbury, Connecticut, they moved to Lyons, New York, and in 1836 to Farmington's Quaker settlement. In 1837 the Botsfords built this Greek Revival house on what became known as Botsford Hill. The house . . . — Map (db m105576) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — McCabe Funeral Home
This centennial business marked its 100th year in 1993. In 1893 Francis J. McCabe purchased the Detroit funeral home of Frank Gibb at Cass and Grand River. In 1902 he moved to Canfield and Grand River, again moving in 1904 to Hudson and Grand River . . . — Map (db m104089) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Sleepy Hollow
Three mills and a small village, including a cooper's shop, a soap factory, a shoemaker's shop, a slaughterhouse and a tannery comprised Sleepy Hollow in the 1830's. In 1827 a grist mill was built on this spot along this rapidly flowing branch of . . . — Map (db m104091) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2005 — Spicer Barn
Built c. 1880 — Map (db m105662) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Spicer House
Architect Marcus Burrowes designed this lovely home in 1925 for David and Martha Gray. Burrowes selected the site and built the house to blend with the land, yet retain an historic English architectural form. The Grays never lived in the house. . . . — Map (db m79852) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — The Old Mill
Water power! Before the advent of the steam engine, water provided the energy needed to run mills for grinding the grain into flour for our ancestor's table and to cut the lumber for their homes. In the early 1800's this middle branch of the . . . — Map (db m104109) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — The Walker/Wixom Tavern
The first country inn in Farmington was the log home of Solomon Walker, opened in 1827. A gala celebration was held there for New Year's Eve 1828, followed by the first Township meeting in 1829. East of his log house Walker built a Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m84873) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — 100 Year Anniversary — 1915 - 2015
This beautiful historic building was constructed and then destroyed by fire in 1914. Known as The Ferndale School, it was re-built in time for the 1915 school year. Eventually known as The Central School, in the 1920's it was remodeled for District . . . — Map (db m107989) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — Deputy Albert Anderson — Murdered in the Line of Duty August 12, 1917
Shortly after midnight on August 12, 1917, Oakland County Deputy Sheriff Albert Anderson arrived at Nine Mile Road and Woodward Avenue on the interurban railway car. After disembarking, he noticed a suspicious man in front of a nearby business. . . . — Map (db m108384) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — Ferndale Center Building — 22750 Woodward — established 1929
At the southwest corner is the Ferndale Center Building. Originally named the C.H. Harrison Building, it housed the newly incorporated Ferndale City Hall offices in the 1930's. For many years, this three story building was the tallest structure in . . . — Map (db m108232) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — L1074 — Ferndale School
Constructed in 1915 — Map (db m34228) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — From a Whisper to a Rallying Cry — Michigan Legal Milestone
"It's not fair." These were the last anguished words whispered by Vincent Chin as he lay dying, the victim of a hate crime on June 19, 1982. His words became a rallying cry for the Asian American community outraged at the lenient sentences his . . . — Map (db m108319) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — In Memory of Vincent Chin
The State Bar of Michigan 34th Michigan Legal Milestone marker commemorates Ferndale as the birthplace in 1983 of the pan-ethnic Asian American civil and victim's rights movement resulting in the formation of the civil rights organization . . . — Map (db m108321) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — 705 — Michigan's First Tri-level Intersection
During the 1950s, as Oakland County's population soared, the corner of Eight Mile Road and Woodward Avenue became the most congested crossroad in Michigan. The solution, envisioned in a plan created by Detroit and its surrounding counties in the . . . — Map (db m31894) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Badder Building — 22801 Woodward — established 1920
At the northwest corner was the first two story brick commercial and office building in Ferndale, home to Leonard's Drugs in the 1920's and McMillan's Drugs in the 1940's. Two well-known businesses, Federal Department Store and Radio City, . . . — Map (db m108287) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Crow's Nest
A Ferndale landmark, the Crow's Nest served as an early traffic signal at this intersection of Nine Mile and Woodward Avenue. The structure was created to hold policemen high above heavy traffic to direct traffic in a safe environment. The Crow's . . . — Map (db m108383) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Inter-Urban Railcar - Detroit United Railway — 1895-1947
First incorporated in 1917, Ferndale's early development as a streetcar suburb of Detroit resulted in Ferndale having a small downtown and traditional high density development patterns. The streetcar system, with its fond memories, served . . . — Map (db m108386) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Lux Building — 22800 Woodward — established 1922
Originally built as a one-story building at the NE corner, and later that decade, a second story was added. On July 16, 1988, a stolen '88 Buick ran three red lights on northbound Woodward and broadsided an eastbound Pontiac at E. Nine Mile Rd. The . . . — Map (db m108250) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Professional Building — 22757 Woodward — established 1926
Located at the southwest corner is the Professional Building, which replaced the Aston-Wallace Building during the widening of Woodward and is now located at the south end of the same block. Cunningham's Drug Store opened at this corner in 1931, . . . — Map (db m108277) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — L2063 — Franklin Cemetery
Side 1 In 1827 Elijah Bullock, one of the founders of the Stoughton Bullock Settlement (renamed Franklin in 1828), set aside land for a burial ground. This parcel, known as "the Old Plat," is in the southeast corner of the cemetery. The . . . — Map (db m98761) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — Franklin Community Church
"United Methodist in Affiliation Ecumenical in spirit" The first Franklin village church was organized in 1840 by Reverend Laban Smith. A building was constructed on German Mill Street and dedicated in 1863. This santuary was dedicated . . . — Map (db m98770) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — L11 — Franklin Village
Founded in 1824-25, Franklin received its present name in 1828. First postmaster was Dr. Ebenezer Raynale, state legislator and physician. The William Huston store, opened in 1830, was the forerunner of a business center that later included the . . . — Map (db m98766) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — L584 — Franklin Village School
Michigan's Territorial Council passed a law in 1827 requiring every township with fifty or more inhabitants to establish a school. Thus, the following year, the first school in Southfield Township was erected in Franklin Village. Sophie Gotie taught . . . — Map (db m98767) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — Kreger Farm Buildings — Circa 1850
The Kregers were descendents of early Franklin settlers who lived on this farm when it was located on Scenic Drive. The buildings were relocated here on December 18, 2008 and restored through the efforts of Franklin Villagers. — Map (db m98771) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Franklin — Robert E. Cornillie's Vision
In 1962, Robert E. Cornillie had a vision to transform this 6 acres into what is now known as the Franklin Community Association Grounds. Through his hard work and dedication to the Village this park was created to be enjoyed by Village residents . . . — Map (db m98773) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Highland — Pettibone Creek Mills
In 1846 Major F. Lockwood built a dam and sawmill on Pettibone Creek northeast of Livingston and Harvey Lake Roads. This sawmill supplied lumber to Highland's earliest settlers until it burned in 1863. In 1867 Chester Chatfield build a cider mill at . . . — Map (db m20487) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Highland — The Village Of Highland Station
In 1872 Almon Ruggles and Germain St. John platted the village of Highland Centre beside the new railroad. They named two streets after themselves, while a third honored late Governor Henry H. Crapo. The Crapo family was active in the Flint & Pere . . . — Map (db m78693) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Highland Township — L351 — Rowe House
Squire and Dolly Rowe, who settled here in 1835, built this elegant, cut fieldstone house in 1855. The solid cobblestone, beaded mortar joint construction is highlighted by the pleasing and sophisticated use of delicate scrollwork under the eaves . . . — Map (db m125205) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — L0602 — Battle Alley
This historic district was once the scene of frequent brawls. In 1880, an uproar between local rowdies and workers of a traveling circus rendered so many bruised, beaten, and jailed, that this street was thus named "Battle Alley." Carry A. Nation, . . . — Map (db m34527) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — L0832 — Crapo Park
Henry Howland Crapo (1804-1869)--wealthy lumberman, Republican, state senator (1863-64) and governor of Michigan (1865-68)--owned prosperous lumberyards in Holly, Fenton and Flint. Lumber and railroads were essential elements in the development of . . . — Map (db m34494) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — L1261 — Holly's Town Hall
Holly's Town Hall has been a center of community activity since it was built in 1892. Holly Township in Oakland County was formally organized in 1838, and the Village of Holly was incorporated in 1865. The two local governments decided to join . . . — Map (db m34541) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Huntington Woods — L1360 — Fred A. Baker House
In 1890, Fred A. Baker, an attorney and former state legislator, purchased 320 acres of land in Royal Oak Township. He developed the land into the Black Meadow Dairy Farm, one of the area's largest dairies. This Colonial Revival house was built in . . . — Map (db m34269) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Huntington Woods — Polar Bears
Dedicated to the American North Russian Expeditionary Forces known as the "Polar Bears". From September 4, 1918, to June 15, 1919, fifty-five hundred American Soldiers of the 339th Infantry regiment (with elements of the 310th Engineers and the . . . — Map (db m91098) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lake Orion — 1059 — Howarth School
John Howarth provided the land on which this Greek Revival schoolhouse was built in 1859. The building served the community as a place of worship for the Howarth United Methodist Church and as an Oakland County school. The Methodists moved to a new . . . — Map (db m78025) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lakeville — L603 — Lakeville Auxiliary Hall
Constructed c. 1851 — Map (db m109754) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lakeville — 2239 — Lakeville Cemetery
In 1843 Addison Township settler Ernest Mann donated one acre of land to the local community for use as a cemetery. The cemetery has since expanded to more than eleven acres. Among the first to be buried here was Private Derrick Hulick, a veteran of . . . — Map (db m109699) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — A Ford Village Industry — Along Pettibone Creek
This landmark building commands attention as the Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station. It was built in 1938-39 to harness the precious power of water for Ford's Carburetor Plant, now gone. It remains as a reminder of Milford's "village . . . — Map (db m125348) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Arthur's Park
This simple and picturesque park was designed by John Grissim and is dedicated to our longest-serving Village Manager, Arthur Lyle Shufflebarger. Arthur's Park is nestled in the shadows of the elevated railroad bed that runs through the heart of . . . — Map (db m125231) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Civil War Memorial
Erected to the memory of our comrades 1861-1865 by the Herber Lefavour Post no. 181 G.A.R. Milford committee A.J. McCall, J.E. Beaumont, G.W. Sturdevant — Map (db m26705) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — L650 — Hibbard Tavern
Aaron Phelps, pioneer settler and first postmaster of Milford, built this Greek Revival residence between 1836 and 1838. It was one of the first frame structures erected in the village. New York immigrant Ira Hibbard purchased the house and . . . — Map (db m125402) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Milford at Work — The Ford Carburetor Plant
Henry Ford chose to build a "village industry" here in the 1930s, one of seventeen small factories he built in rural settings to produce small parts for Ford vehicles. Ford found benefits to building the carburetor plant here — dams . . . — Map (db m125380) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Milford Rural Agricultural School
The "Milford Rural Agricultural School" was the first building in Milford Township designed solely for high school pupils. It was built in 1926 and was located on the east side of Hickory Street between Detroit and Summit Streets. This name stone . . . — Map (db m125287) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Milford's Water Works Building
Preserved here is the name stone from Milford's Water Works Building. The building stood near this site from 1895 until 1996. Here at the Water Works was a coal-fired boiler and steam-driven pumps that provided Milford its first pressurized water . . . — Map (db m125271) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Mont Eagle — Bridge to History — 1988
This bridge was built by the determined efforts of a small group of Milford people, with the help of many Originally built in 1885 — Map (db m125407) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Motley Lights
Dedicated — July 16, 2010 Thomas Samuel Motley, a lifelong resident of Milford and a fixture on Main Street for more than 55 years, was well known for his big smile, firm handshake, good jokes and civic pride. Tom began his love . . . — Map (db m125319) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — L743 — Oak Grove Cemetery
Oak Grove Cemetery, established in May 1845, was formally named in May 1871. When it was officially designated as the township cemetery, the remains from the area's "old burying ground," begun on the corner of Mill and Washington streets in 1832, . . . — Map (db m125445) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station — Restoration — 2001-2007
The Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station was designed by renowned architect Albert Kahn and built by Henry Ford in 1939. Over time the station became known as "The Ford Powerhouse." Decommissioned in 1953 and in declining condition, the iconic . . . — Map (db m125362) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Pettibone Grist Mill 1846 — Hebbard & Davis Woolen Mill 1850 Tower & Tenny Woodworking Mill 1854 Henry Ford I Mill 1938
The upper mill pond was created in 1846 by damming Pettibone Creek. A mill race entered the pond beneath the road and powered the woolen and woodworking mills. The race for the grist mill left the pond near the dam at the south end of the pond. . . . — Map (db m125366) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery
Circa 1836, Aaron Phelps, Milford’s first postmaster and the man who platted north Milford, built a saw mill and a distillery here, at the foot of the lower mill pond. The distillery became a carding mill in 1848, but the other mill, used for . . . — Map (db m79683) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — L1958 — Priscilla Calkins Prior House
Side 1 Frederic and Priscilla Prior and four of their seven children were among Milford Township's earliest settlers. Originally from Massachusetts, the Priors came to Michigan in 1835 and settled near Sears Lake. This house was completed . . . — Map (db m125222) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Wells Brothers Foundry
In 1865 Philip F. and D. Webster Wells moved their foundry, then called the Milford Furnace, from North Main Street to this site after experiencing problems with the water power at the former site (a water power their father had developed). Their . . . — Map (db m78801) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Milford — Wood-Hubbell House — 124 East Commerce Street — 1853
This Greek Revival house was built as a home for John Wood, a woodworker. It was sold to Edwin Hubbell, grocer and meat market owner, in 1866. The second story on the west wing was added in 1874, the porch on the south side in 1897 and the . . . — Map (db m125282) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — L2113 — Axford-Coffin Farm
This complex of buildings began as the farmstead of John Axford, who built the Greek Revival house during the 1840s. Farmer Jacob Kline purchased it in 1848, and his descendants operated the farm until 1925. During the Great Depression the bank . . . — Map (db m97706) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — Carriage Barn Replica
This building is a replica of the original carriage barn that stood on this site. The original building was circa 1870, and was rumored to have been moved to this site in 1910. It was a two-bay timber framed building constructed of hand hewn . . . — Map (db m97707) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — The Flumerfelt Barn — 1879 and 2004
This post-and-beam barn, originally located at Kern and Gunn Roads and owned for 49 years by the Flumerfelt family, was signed in 1879. Interior boards bear this date and signature. Later, it was part of the Peters farm and Kern Nursery. In early . . . — Map (db m109609) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Orchard Lake Village — Apple Island
Originally a gift from the glaciers, Apple Island is also a modern-day gift to West Bloomfield Schools from the Ward Family. This 35-acre-jewel, located at the center of Orchard Lake, sparkles with 10,000 years of history and folklore. . . . — Map (db m105236) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Orchard Lake Village — Remembering Historic Railways — on the West Bloomfield Trail
Two railways came together here. The West Bloomfield Trail follows the path of the Grand Trunk Railroad, built through the region in the 1880s. If you were standing here in 1900, you also would see a light rail trolley line . . . — Map (db m105056) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Orchard Lake Village — The Orchard Lake Museum — and the Treasures of Local History
The Orchard Lake Museum has been an intersection where paths cross and people meet. The first building here was a small tavern named the Orchard Lake House, built in 1857 for stagecoach travelers. Various owners rebuilt and . . . — Map (db m105083) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Orchard Lake Village — Tracks Over Tracks — on the Detroit United Railway
Transportation transformed the landscape of rural West Bloomfield as electric trolleys and automobiles appeared around the turn of the 20th century. Many people traveled here for the first time from Detroit and Pontiac, and . . . — Map (db m105114) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Orchard Lake Village — Waiting for the Trolleys — and Riding Between the Lakes
The trolleys made it easy to travel through the lakes of Oakland County. In the early 1900s people got off or waited at platforms that were built for access to the track. The Detroit United Railway (DUR) bought land from local . . . — Map (db m105074) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Orchard Lake Village — Waiting Room and the "Wye" — at the Michigan Military Academy
To change directions, trolleys had to turn around. At this location, at the back of what had been the parade grounds of the Michigan Military Academy, the Detroit United Railway (DUR) built a "wye." This Y-shaped track allowed . . . — Map (db m105150) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ortonville — L1066 — Ortonville Methodist Episcopal Church
In June 1850 an eleven-member Methodist class was organized here as the Hadley Circuit of the Detroit District. B. F. Prichard was the pastor; M. H. Filmore, the class leader; and James Shaw, the presiding elder. That year the group built a stone . . . — Map (db m108869) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oxford — 1176 — Seymour Lake Methodist Episcopal Church
The local Methodist society, organized in 1837 at the house of Joseph Shurter, met in residences and schoolhouses for nearly four decades. In 1871, Irene Gibbs donated this land for its use. The church's cornerstone was laid on May 29, 1874. Lumber . . . — Map (db m77806) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Pleasant Ridge — Ridge Road
One of the historic trails leading out of Detroit and built on a sandy ridge to avoid swamplands on either side, Ridge Road was originally part of the Saginaw Trail. This route meandered north from Detroit to Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw and finally . . . — Map (db m96766) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Pontiac — L1450 — Oak Hill Cemetery
(Front): On June 1, 1822, the Pontiac Company gave the citizens of Pontiac the first land for a village cemetery. It was "to be occupied and used forever as a burying ground." In 1839, when Captain Hervey Parke was employed by the village to . . . — Map (db m14294) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Pontiac — Pontiac Monument
In loving memory of Union Veterans of The Civil War 1861 * 1865 * * * Erected by Frances C. Butterfield Tent No. 9 Daughters of Union Veterans 1927 Loyalty — Map (db m26703) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — City of Rochester, Michigan — 1978
On this site 1817-The first house built in Oakland County 1818-The first settler's child born in Oakland County 1823-The first school started in Rochester — Map (db m118709) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — Detroit United Railway and Car Barn
An interurban railway was brought to town by the Detroit, Rochester, Romeo, and Lake Orion Railway (DRR&LO) in 1899. Its powerhouse, located next to Paint Creek, used steam generators to produce electrical power for the entire Flint Division . . . — Map (db m101924) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L2036 — George Vandeventer House
New York native George Vandeventer, who came to Avon Township as a child in 1834, became a successful businessman and civic leader in Rochester. When their home burned in 1875, George and his wife, Julia, built this Italianate-inspired house. The . . . — Map (db m118769) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L1442 — Masonic Block
Built in 1899-1900, the Masonic Block was designed by Edward R. Prall. The Rochester Building Association raised funds for the project. Among its leaders were William Clark Chapman, general manager of Western Knitting Mills and twentieth village . . . — Map (db m98418) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L710 — Mount Avon Cemetery
In 1826, Mount Avon became the first officially platted cemetery in Oakland County. The "Old Ground" or "Historic Acre" contains headstones dating from 1817, the year the earliest settlers arrived in the area. Members of the Graham family, . . . — Map (db m118936) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L1756 — Rochester Opera House
Built in 1890, the Opera House Block opened with the First National Bank and Norton Pharmacy on its ground floor. On November 7, 1890, a grand opening dance launched the upper-level opera house as Rochester's social and cultural center. Until 1933 . . . — Map (db m98520) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L2065 — Rollin Sprague Building
The "Old Stone Store" is the oldest commercial building in Rochester. Dr. Rollin Sprague of New York had the structure built in 1849 of coursed cobblestone, using a construction method more commonly used in his home state. The Sprague Building is . . . — Map (db m118678) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Castle — represents Rochester, England — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
The Castle emblem represents the City of Rochester located in Kent County, England. On March 17, 1817, James Graham and his sons arrived in this very area while their families settled here later. Many settlers including our founders came here from . . . — Map (db m118827) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Hammer — represents Industry — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
The community's first water-powered sawmill was erected in 1819, just one year after the first land sale. Rochester's favorable industrial climate fostered many other businesses in the years that followed, including the Western Knitting Mills, built . . . — Map (db m118720) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Oak Leaf — represents Oakland County — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
The Oak leaf symbolizes our broader community, Oakland County, of which Rochester was the first settlement. The tall, strong and enduring trees the county was named after dominate the surrounding landscape and played a critical role in supporting . . . — Map (db m118801) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Torch — represents Education — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
Built in 1889 to replace a school that had burned down the year before, the Avon School District No. 5 Schoolhouse sits on the site of the first private school in Avon Township, originally constructed in 1847. Since Rochester's founding, the . . . — Map (db m118785) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — Three-faced Clock
The three-faced clock installed April 8, 1993 was provided by NBD Bank, N.A. in cooperation with the Rochester Downtown Development Authority. Its purpose is to both honor the traditions of the past and to compliment Downtown Rochester in the . . . — Map (db m98571) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L642 — Township Hall
Avon Township, the site of the first settlement in Oakland County, was organized in 1835. This white clapboard building was erected in 1880 as the township hall. Its alterations reflect the area's industrial and commercial growth. Initially . . . — Map (db m118757) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — Warming House Renovation — in commemoration of Roy Rewold — January 30, 1929 - October 2, 2013
Roy was born in a corner house on Woodward and Pine Street in Rochester to Frank and Martha Rewold. Raised on Ludlow Street, Avon Park became Roy's backyard; swimming in the creek in the summer and skating on the pond in the winter. Beginning . . . — Map (db m118610) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L-2125 — Western Knitting Mills
Paint Creek and the Clinton River provided power for the first woolen mill on this site in 1844. Constructed in 1896, the Western Knitting Mills building was supported by a yarn mill, dormitories and two warehouses. One of the area's largest . . . — Map (db m118730) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 1850 Red House
Built in approximately 1850, the Red House originally sat across the street from the Van Hoosen Farmhouse. The architectural style is Greek Revival and it appears that the existing structure, though very small, was built in three different phases, . . . — Map (db m119058) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — Before lawn mowers...
Believe it or not, we have a good reason for not cutting the grass! When the Red House was built in 1850, manicured lawns were not as common, especially for farming communities. While the lawn mower was invented in 1830, it wasn't until the 1860s . . . — Map (db m119071) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 96 — Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal
This canal, conceived at the peak of the era of canal-building, was part of Michigan's internal improvements program which was announced in 1837. The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal would make it possible to cross southern Michigan by boat from Lake St. . . . — Map (db m118904) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — S492 — Meadow Brook Hall
Home of Alfred G. and Matilda Dodge Wilson (widow of John Dodge), this Tudor style mansion was built in 1926-29. William E. Kapp of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls designed the Hall, incorporating details from famous homes of England. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson . . . — Map (db m100371) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — Meadow Brook Hall — has been designated a National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance as an exceptional example of the American Country Estate movement of the early Twentieth Century. The centerpiece, a monumental 110-room residence, is the largest and most impressive example of Tudor . . . — Map (db m100374) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — L2158 — Stoney Creek School
The School Act of 1829 created the Stoney Creek School District. Fractional School No. 1 was constructed in 1848. Like one-room schoolhouses across the country, the building originally housed children of varying ages and grades, elementary through . . . — Map (db m118923) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — L2280 — Yates Cider Mill
Side 1 In 1863, William (1820-1911) and Caroline (1833-1892) Yates moved from New York to Michigan and purchased 80 acres of land. Using an existing dam on the Clinton River, they opened a water-powered lumber mill. The business soon grew . . . — Map (db m118906) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — Dr. Firman W. Clawson Homestead Site
On this site stood the old homestead of Dr. Firman W. Clawson the original owner & subdivider of Northwood "the Homesite Beautiful" Planned & planted A.D. 1900 — Map (db m33003) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1610 — First Baptist Church of Royal Oak
(Side 1) Several members of this church were significant to its early development. In 1839 charter member Hamlet Harris, "a free colored person" according to the 1840 census, donated $25.00 towards the construction of the first church. . . . — Map (db m85288) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — Indian Trail
This depressed path, northwest across the Almon Starr land, is the last visible remnant of a trail worn by the feet of Indians and the hoofs of their horses traveling between Detroit and Saginaw until the mid 1800s. The children of the American . . . — Map (db m33002) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — 484 — Orson Starr Home
Orson Starr (1803-1873) and his wife, Rhoda Gibbs Starr, (1806-1853) built this home in 1845. Five generations of the Starr family lived here until 1964. The house was purchased by the city of Royal Oak in 1976. Orson Starr came to this area in 1831 . . . — Map (db m32971) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1562 — Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1918, the Royal Oak Tribune boasted that, "architecturally and artistically," the new Methodist Episcopal Church was "the achievement of a master mind." William E. N. Hunter, a Detroit architect and Methodist who designed many . . . — Map (db m34270) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1967 — Royal Oak Township Cemetery / Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery
Royal Oak Township Cemetery In 1826 Daniel Burrows donated land for use as a cemetery. The first burial was the infant daughter of Laura Swift Chase and David Chase, who later served as township supervisor and a delegate to the "Convention . . . — Map (db m85340) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L0679 — Royal Oak Woman's Club
Erected in 1839, this building was originally a small frame Baptist church. The village purchased it for a town hall in 1914 and used it for municipal purposes until 1923, when the Royal Oak Woman's Club acquired it. The club, founded in 1902 as a . . . — Map (db m34271) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — S164 — Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House
Saginaw Trail The Saginaw Trail, running from Detroit to Saginaw through Pontiac and Flint, was originally an Indian trail. In 1816 Michigan territorial government authorized the building of a road from Detroit to Saginaw along the trail. Part . . . — Map (db m33001) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — The Royal Oak
Near this spot stood the oak tree named by General Cass "The Royal Oak" from which Royal Oak Township received its name. — Map (db m32443) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak Township — L1953 — Carver Elementary School
During the early twentieth century, many African Americans migrated north to work in Detroit's automobile factories. Increased migration during World War II prompted Royal Oak Township's Clinton School District to split into two racially segregated . . . — Map (db m95364) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Church of Saint Bede
Here once stood the former catholic "Church of Saint Bede" "Saint Bede" was part of a convent and school that serviced the surrounding community for over 50 years — Map (db m119736) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1365 — Congregation Shaarey Zedek
In 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War, seventeen followers of Traditional Judaism withdrew from the Beth El Society in Detroit to found the "Shaarey Zedek Society." In 1877 the membership constructed the first building in Michigan to be erected . . . — Map (db m109907) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical Marker — Southfield Cemetery
A group of early settlers known as "The Proprietors of the Burying Grounds" purchased the original one acre of land from Thaddeus Griswald on April 8, 1833 at the cost of $8.00. The Proprietors continued to operate the burying grounds until 1847 . . . — Map (db m110036) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical Site — Southfield Methodist Episcopal Church
On this site in 1856, this little white frame building was erected by members and friends of the Southfield Methodist Episcopal Church. The building and horse sheds suffered severe damage by a tornado in 1925. In 1941 the Gleaner Society raised . . . — Map (db m109980) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical Site — Presbyterian Church
This marker is placed on this site in recognition of many years of continuous use as a place of worship. In the year of 1852 this site was donated by Ezekiel Hutton to the congregation. Their first building was moved to the site. Ten years . . . — Map (db m110103) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — S0223 — Lawrence Institute of Technology
Lawrence Tech was chartered in 1932 by the Lawrence brothers, Russell E. and E. George. The college was located in Highland Park on Woodward Avenue until 1955, when the first building opened on this campus. Lawrence Tech, founded as an undergraduate . . . — Map (db m34596) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Mary Thompson Farm
The land upon which you stand was generously donated by a very remarkable woman, Miss Mary Elizabeth Thompson. Her great-grandparents and grandparents were pioneer settlers of Southfield Township. During a time when it was rare for a woman to . . . — Map (db m110137) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L2074 — Mary Thompson House
Educator Mary E. Thompson (1871-1967) grew up in this house, which was built sometime between 1842 and 1864. She was considered "a woman of superior native ability" by the dean of pedagogy at New York University where she received a doctorate in . . . — Map (db m110177) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Memorial Marker — In honor of Mary Thompson — 1871 - 1967
So that all citizens of the City of Southfield will remember, this plaque is placed in memory of Mary Thompson, for her unselfish dedicated service to this community, for her decision to sell the land to the city where now stands our most beautiful . . . — Map (db m110263) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1476 — Pioneer Cemetery
Upon the death of his daughter in 1832, John Thomas donated part of his farm to the township to form a public burying ground. He gave an adjacent parcel to the Presbyterians who built a church there in 1837. Although nonsectarian, the cemetery . . . — Map (db m110047) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1477 — Southfield Cemetery
Thaddeus Griswold sold several parcels of his farm to settlers who used the land for burial grounds. In 1847 these "proprietors" donated the land to the board of health which established a township cemetery. The most heroic figure memorialized here . . . — Map (db m110012) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Southfield Center — 1837 - 1880
and Southfield Burgh. At the intersection of 10-1/2 mile road and Berg Road there existed a business and residential center during much of the nineteenth century. It was the first important community center in what is now the City of Southfield. . . . — Map (db m110002) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1893 — Southfield Centre
The Territorial Road (present-day 10-1/2 Mile Road) east of the Rouge River was Southfield Township's economic hub during the mid-nineteenth century. In 1831 Archibald Green, one of the township's earliest settlers, opened a blacksmith shop. In 1837 . . . — Map (db m109939) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1709 — Southfield Town Hall
The Southfield Town Hall was built between 1872 and 1873 to house the government of Southfield Centre, also known at the Burgh. The hall was the site of elections, public meetings and social events. Township officials continued to conduct business . . . — Map (db m110009) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Southfield Township Site
Southfield Township purchased this site in 1872 and a frame building was erected shortly thereafter which was used for township meetings and community functions. After remodeling in 1934, it was used as the township business office until 1958. The . . . — Map (db m110007) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Southfield Township Volunteer Fire Department
This hall was built in 1942 for the Southfield Township Volunteer Fire Department. It served as hall, office and sleeping quarters for the two engineers, Charles Hooper, Sr. and Paul Ignash who worked twenty four hours on and twenty four hours . . . — Map (db m110004) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L2026 — Southfield United Presbyterian Church
In 1850 seventeen Irish immigrants met in the home of Matthew Erwin Sr. and organized what became the Southfield United Presbyterian Church. Two years later they relocated a vacant church building to this site and met there until the present Greek . . . — Map (db m110056) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — L507 — Barn Church
Built by William Lakie as a dairy barn in 1912, this structure is now a church. At one time the electric interurban railway ran past this barn and picked up milk cans gathered from surrounding farms. After the Presbyterian Church purchased the . . . — Map (db m95558) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — 762 — Historic Green
The city of Troy has set aside this area for historic structures. Located here is the 1832 Greek Revival home of pioneer Solomon Caswell, moved from its original site. Nearby is Troy's 1927 township hall. This building is a replica of a Dutch . . . — Map (db m42177) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — S425 — S.S. Kresge Company
Sebastion Spering Kresge founded the firm in 1899 in Detroit. His guidance during its formative years was responsible for its initial success. By 1916, when it was incorporated in Michigan, the company numbered 150 units. Innovative and careful . . . — Map (db m68167) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — S426 — The Kresge Foundation
Sebastion Spering Kresge established this foundation in 1924 on the 25th anniversary of the company he organized in Detroit. The foundation's sole donor, he remained chairman of the board until retiring in 1966, shortly before his death. Grants of . . . — Map (db m68201) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — L1516C — The Polar Bears — Monument and Burial Site
In the summer of 1918, President Woodrow Wilson, at the urging of Britain and France, sent an infantry regiment to north Russia to fight the Bolsheviks in hopes of persuading Russia to rejoin the war against Germany. The 339th Infantry Regiment, . . . — Map (db m91096) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — L71 — Troy Corners
The city of Troy was an unclaimed wilderness when Johnson Niles moved here with his family from New York in 1821. As a farmer, carpenter, innkeeper, and merchant, Niles did much to develop the area, offering advice and encouragement to the settlers . . . — Map (db m102018) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — L1878 — Troy Township
In 1827 the Michigan Territorial Legislative Council created Troy Township. Stephen V.R. Trowbridge and Riley Crooks were elected supervisor and clerk. Township meetings were held in houses and barns until 1848 when a frame hall was built on this . . . — Map (db m91413) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — L522 — Wattles House
Harry Bennett Wattles purchased this house in 1876 about thirty years after its construction and added a veranda and a second story in 1909. Settling in Troy around 1837, the Wattles Family has been active in civic and social affairs. Here on this . . . — Map (db m91377) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Waterford — L61 — Four Towns Methodist Church
Four Towns received its name because it is near the point where the townships of West Bloomfield, Commerce, Waterford, and White Lake meet. In 1866 a frame schoolhouse was built here, on land donated by Nathan R. Colvin. From that year until 1930 . . . — Map (db m46645) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — "Motoring" to Pine Lake — with the Automobile Club of Detroit
It was a time of exciting change, as the first automobiles tangled with horses and trolley cars in the streets and countryside. On June 23, 1902 a group of leading businessmen and industrialists came together at the Detroit . . . — Map (db m105226) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — A Lake and a Trolley — Put Keego Harbor on the Map
Cass Lake was the quiet pleasure of farmers and merchants until the first trolley rail system was built through the area in 1895, bringing "weekenders" from Pontiac and Detroit to the area. In 1912 real estate developer Joseph . . . — Map (db m105182) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — Gateway to Nature — at the Orchard Lake Beach Trolley Stop
Many Detroiters escaped to nature on the trolleys of the Detroit United Railway (DUR) in the early 1900s. The Orchard Lake Beach stop was located here, where the parallel Grand Trunk Railroad and DUR trolley tracks crossed . . . — Map (db m105107) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — Go in Peace
A former railroad corridor, the West Bloomfield Trail Network stretches 4.25 miles through West Bloomfield, Orchard Lake, Keego Harbor and Sylvan Lake. The West Bloomfield Parks and Recreation Commission bought it from the Grand Trunk . . . — Map (db m105288) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — In Good Company — at Pine Lake Country Club
The sparkling lake has been a gift to the generations Pine Lake Country Club began as a treasured rustic destination for Automobile Club of Detroit road tours in the early 1900s. By 1910, the clubhouse on Pine Lake had become a . . . — Map (db m105200) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — Lakes and Attractions — at the Orchard Lake Trolley Stop
The heart of the lake country was well-served by the trolleys in the early 1900s. No stop in the entire Detroit United Railway (DUR) trolley system was more popular than the Orchard Lake stop located here, where the parallel . . . — Map (db m105135) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — Settling the Dust — The Countryside Improvement Association
The lakes and landscape of Oakland County weren't ready for the automobile in the early 1900s. Weekend visitors, in noisy "self-propelled" vehicles, churned up dust on unpaved roads and trespassed on private property. To . . . — Map (db m105049) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — The Great Blues
Great blue herons are the official bird of West Bloomfield and it's easy to see why with their majestic appearance, great size and frequent sightings within our township. Also, for several years, the nature preserve you are now standing in . . . — Map (db m105289) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Edsel Ford's Leadership — and His "Nerve Retreat" at Haven Hill
He was a man of vision and achievement, and he called Haven Hill his "nerve retreat," his restful refuge. The only child of Henry and Clara Ford, Edsel Ford was born in 1893 and became the youngest president of Ford Motor Company in 1919. . . . — Map (db m99082) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Genevieve Gillette — and the Treasures of Nature
Michigan state parks welcomed the newly-mobile drivers of automobiles in the early 1900s. Genevieve Gillette made it her life's work to preserve precious natural settings and make them available to the travelling public. In 1920 she began . . . — Map (db m99055) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Haven Hill Carriage House — The Lodge's "Little Brother"
It was a garage and a playhouse. The Carriage House was planned to be the chauffeur's home and to shelter Ford family vehicles. But the chauffeur moved into the Lodge, and the Carriage House became a playhouse for the Ford children — . . . — Map (db m99117) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Haven Hill Farm — Exploring a New World of Agriculture
An expression of deep respect for the land, this complex was called the Farm Group Buildings. Edsel Ford learned from his father Henry Ford who wrote in 1932 that "with one foot in industry and another foot in the land, human society is . . . — Map (db m99131) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Haven Hill Gatehouse — Crossing the Threshold to the Estate
The Gatehouse was the formal entryway into the 2,422 acre Haven Hill Estate, Edsel Ford's chosen "weekend getaway." While Edsel gathered property for his country estate in the 1920s, Packard Motor Car Company and General Motors bought large . . . — Map (db m99066) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Haven Hill Lodge — Finding a Retreat in the Countryside
It was an expression of new wealth and mobility created by the early automobile industry. Twenty years after his father founded Ford Motor Company in 1903, Edsel Ford began buying the hilly property that became his family's rural retreat . . . — Map (db m99106) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — The Haven Hill Getaway — Celebrities Come to Visit
They came from around the world. In the early 1920s, "weekend jaunts" in automobiles and on new roads brought day travelers to this countryside like never before, and also brought prominent people from around the world. The world of Edsel . . . — Map (db m99075) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — L2106 — White Lake Township Hall
White Lake Township's first white settler, Harley Olmstead, came here from New York State in 1830. The township was set off in 1836. Beginning around 1837 daily stagecoaches and wagons hauling lumber traveled along the old White Lake Road, part of . . . — Map (db m94793) HM

174 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.