On South Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Secretary treasury and last attorney general Republic of Texas. Secession Convention delegate 1861. Influential member Provisional Congress which drafted Confederate Constitution, mobilized manpower, set up financial structure, elected political . . . — — Map (db m93470) HM
On South Ash Street south of SE 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
A native of Iowa, George Morgan Perry (1862-1944) moved to the Texas Panhandle town of Ochiltree in 1886. Active in the formal organization of the county, he served as county clerk, district clerk, and county judge. A supporter of railroad building . . . — — Map (db m93471) HM
Settlers established Gray, Beaver Co., Okla., in the 1900s. Rev. J. W. Duff of Enid, Okla., organized a church in Jan. 1915 and became the first minister. Lumber came from Liberal, Kan., and the Ladies Aid Society raised funds to buy an organ, pews, . . . — — Map (db m93480) HM
On State Highway 70 1.8 miles south of State Highway 83, on the right when traveling south.
In 1902, Jim McLarty and J. V. Stump fenced off 90 acres for a cemetery in the town of Ochiltree. Soon afterwards, Jim was thrown from his horse and killed, and at age 21 became the first person buried in the cemetery. In 1927 the county acquired . . . — — Map (db m93619) HM
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Young & Bexar territories
Created, August 21, 1876
Organized, February 21, 1889
Named in honor of
William Beck Ochiltree, 1811-1867
Associate Justice, Supreme Court
of Texas, 1842; Secretary of the
Treasury, 1844; . . . — — Map (db m93481) HM
On State Highway 70 1.7 miles south of U.S. 83, on the left when traveling south.
This county was created in 1876 and named for noted Texas jurist William Beck Ochiltree (1811-1867). In 1876 it was attached for judicial purposes to Clay and later to Wheeler County. In 1886 pioneers began to settle in dugouts here on the prairies . . . — — Map (db m93621) HM
On South Cedar Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built about 1912 in Ochiltree. Designed by Mrs. John Blasingame; 19th century English, German influence. Constructed by Sam Whittaker; lumber and red brick hauled from Glazier. Luxurious home had attic, full basement. Heavy embossed picture . . . — — Map (db m93469) HM
Born near Washington-on-the-Brazos; moved 1901 to Ochiltree County. As sheriff, 1908-1944, he used free-wheeling methods and never carried a gun. It was said that generosities kept him poor. At retirement he held record for longer continuous . . . — — Map (db m93620) HM
On County Road U 1.6 miles east of U.S. 83, on the right when traveling east.
Established by C. E. Jones in 1874 on the Jones & Plummer Trail which extended from Dodge City, Kansas, to Mobeetie. Here food and cloth were traded to Indians for hides and later ranchmen purchased general supplies hauled from Dodge City. — — Map (db m93615) HM