Several families settled here in 1886, establishing the community now known as Aripeka. It was named for the Aripeka Saw Mills Corporation which had adopted the name of an early 19th century Seminole leader. Originally located in Hernando County, . . . — — Map (db m67108) HM
Harrison and Martha Ann McKinney Slaughter acquired 120 acres in this area from Jessie Sumner, May 20, 1862. The settlement that developed here was first called Slaughter after this pioneer family. Over time it became known as Clay Sink for the clay . . . — — Map (db m93385) HM
It’s July 19, 1539…
Conquistador Hernando de Soto’s army has turned northward –
We have found several Indian villages in this area. Many are abandoned but stocked full of harvested corn.
”The next day they came to the . . . — — Map (db m126566) HM
Built in 1912 to replace an earlier frame structure located about 1/4 mile north, this depot was the first site in Pasco County to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The adjacent track is on the site of the first rail line to . . . — — Map (db m41387) HM
Oak Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery were established here in the early 1870s by Rev. R. E. Bell. Church minutes of 1877 describe the location as "Oak Grove, Florida." By 1886 it was referred to as "Dade City Baptist Church." In the early 1890s the . . . — — Map (db m10480) HM
Erected in 1926 as the Florida Land Boom ended, this Collegiate Gothic style building was financed by bonds of Special Tax School District No. 7. In 1934 it was conveyed to the Pasco County Board of Public Instruction.
Renamed in 1973 in memory . . . — — Map (db m67637) HM
This example of pioneer-style church architecture was constructed in 1915. The bell tower was added in 1920. The church served the St. Rita congregation until 1976 when the Dade City Garden Club moved it to the present site for renovation and use as . . . — — Map (db m67638) HM
Otis E. and Naomi Scott Jones moved to Dade City in the late 1930s and soon became prominent members of the community and St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, where they served as deacon and deaconess. Nearby Naomi Jones Pyracantha Park, which Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m67682) HM
The first bridge crossing the Withlacoochee River at this site was built in the 1850s by slaves belonging to James Lanier. Replaced several times during the following century, the bridge served lumber, turpentine and cattle operations along with . . . — — Map (db m66331) HM
Organized in the late 1800s at Lake Buddy, this congregation moved into Dade City and became known as Mount Zion AME Church. In 1903, with 29 members, a frame meeting house was built. It was later modified to serve as the parsonage. The present . . . — — Map (db m67654) HM
This sole remaining public landmark of the town of Pasadena was built in the 1880's and, like the nearby Lakeview Highlands Hotel, served as a social center in a citrus growing community noted for its wealth until the "Great Freeze" of 1895. The . . . — — Map (db m67635) HM
Pasco County was created from Hernando County on May 12, 1887. The area was first inhabited by Muscogee Indians and the first white men in the area came with Spanish explorer Panfilo de Narvaez in May, 1528. Narvaez fought the Indians near the . . . — — Map (db m41099) HM
Organized in 1896 with Rev. Henry Williams as pastor. This congregation built its first sanctuary on a nearby lot donated by W. I. Porter. That small wooden structure was dedicated August 12, 1896.
The congregation grew and the present brick . . . — — Map (db m41677) HM
The demands of World War II created a shortage of agricultural workers here at home. To alleviate the problem, the Prisoner of War Special Projects Division of the United States Army established some 500 camps with a total capacity of 378,000 . . . — — Map (db m10483) HM
Organized in 1891, St. Mary's originally served Anglican settlers at Lake Pasadena. Its first resident priest, the Rev. James Neville-Thompson, was ordained there in 1892. After the "Great Freeze" in 1895 the building fell into disuse, while . . . — — Map (db m67651) HM
Captain John Townsend and his wife, Nancy, brought their family and slaves to this area from North Florida in the late 1840's. The log home they built became the center of a pioneer community and a refuge from unfriendly Indians. After 1865 when the . . . — — Map (db m67631) HM
Whitehouse Road marks the south boundary of land settled about 1842 by James Gibbons under the Armed Occupation Act. The first Fort Dade Post Office was established there in 1845. In that year, Gibbons' widow, Mary, wed William Kendrick, Captain of . . . — — Map (db m10474) HM
This church was built in 1906 by Will Heacock and Tom Jordan on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Blocker. The pioneer congregation which worshipped at Mt. Olive Church on the Dowling Place about a mile away had decided it was too far from . . . — — Map (db m67692) HM
Near this spot, on May 14, 1856, a Seminole war party attacked the home of an early settler Capt. Robert Duke Bradley of the Florida Foot Volunteers. Two of the Bradley children were killed before the Indians withdrew. This was the last such attack . . . — — Map (db m37715) HM
Once an Indian hunting ground called "Alafia," this area was surveyed by Samuel Hope in the 1840's and was successively known as "Alfiers," "The Neck," "Sapling Woods," and "Elfers" -- a variation of the Indian name. Fishing, timber and citrus . . . — — Map (db m13672) HM
Built 1914 of limerock white brick faced with red clay brick, this oldest two-story building of such construction in western Pasco County has served generations of school children and was used for many area activities before its renovation in 1979 . . . — — Map (db m67095) HM
Samuel and Elizabeth Pinder Baker built this "Cracker" house in 1882. A sponge hooker of mariner lineage who owned land at Baillie's Bluff, he gave it a nautical touch as well as the traditional "Dog Trot" hall through the center. Vertical wall . . . — — Map (db m67101) HM
As part of the Baillie Settlement, a congregation of Methodists and Baptists established a Union Church and cemetery on this site, ca. 1876. In March 1877, the church conducted the first burial with the interment of Peter K. Baillie, pioneer settler . . . — — Map (db m67107) HM
This burial ground was established by the family of Isaac W. and Amanda Hudson who settled the Hudson community, originally know as Hudson's Landing. First burial was that of their daughter Melissa in 1878. This rugged pioneer family came to Florida . . . — — Map (db m67068) HM
A church and cemetery were established here in the 1880s. Stephen P. Douglas, who died in 1889, is the earliest marked burial. In 1890, Abraham and Susanna Bellamy donated the land to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in memory of her . . . — — Map (db m67069) HM
Once the intersection of two competing railroads, the South Florida Railroad (part of the Plant System, later Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, built in 1884-85) and the Florida Railway & Navigation Company (later the Florida Central & Peninsular . . . — — Map (db m41522) HM
Stagecoach Village takes its name from the coach road connecting Tampa Bay with the settlement at Chocochattee Hammock, near present-day Brooksville. The route - about 1 1/2 miles west of here - was sometimes called "Scott's Trail," having been . . . — — Map (db m61925) HM
Developed by Tampa Attorney J. Wm. Dupree, the gardens opened to the public on December 1, 1940. The attraction consisted of 900 acres of flowering trees and plants and included a lodge and a tearoom with gift shop. It also featured electric powered . . . — — Map (db m67646) HM
Ehren African American Community
The Ehren Pine Company sawmill employed a large number of local African Americans, many of whom lived in company housing. Others worked in agriculture and for the railroad.
Serving the spiritual needs . . . — — Map (db m67640) HM
Named by sawmill owners Frederick and Louis Muller, Ehren means "place of honor" in their native German language. Its post office opened Jan. 17, 1890 and closed in 1950. Burned and rebuilt several times, the post office was once listed in . . . — — Map (db m67650) HM
This cemetery was established about 1900 on land donated by A.O. Pierce. Marked burials date from 1912. A structure which served as church and public school has since disappeared. The surrounding community has been variously known as "Fivay . . . — — Map (db m67634) HM
The Gillett-Loyce Cemetery is named for David Gillett, the land owner, and the early nearby settlement, Loyce, in 1898. Mr. Gillett donated the one-acre site in memory of his dear wife, Rosa.
Among those buried here are veterans of the War Between . . . — — Map (db m67060) HM
This oldest cemetery in Pasco County has existed since before 1855. Thomas and Sarah Tucker settled in the area about 1842 and in 1845 planted the county's first orange grove. Family history records an earlier generation of Tuckers lived in the . . . — — Map (db m13677) HM
Located one mile east of this point on the south bank of the Withlacoochee River at the crossing of the Fort King Road. The Fort, built in 1837, named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade, served for many years as a depot and observation post in the . . . — — Map (db m41170) HM
Named for the color of the abundant mangroves, Green Key was originally known as Deer Island. It was homesteaded in the early 1900s by J.G. "Gip" and Cora Brown, who built a home at the tip of the key. In 1930, a limerock causeway was constructed . . . — — Map (db m101389) HM
This plat of land (Section 6, Township 26S, Range 17E) was surveyed in January 1847 for the newly formed state of Florida by Deputy Surveyor George Watson. In 1851 the state government created the Internal Improvement Board to encourage settlement, . . . — — Map (db m4665) HM
Development of this former 9,000 acre sportsman's paradise was begun in 1933 by Ed Haley's Moon Lake Company. It opened in 1937, complete with bridle paths, native and exotic trees, flowers and shrubs, and plenty of game and fish. The lodge, casino . . . — — Map (db m67620) HM
Constructed of native limerock in the early 1930s, this stone barn is one remaining structure of Ed Haley's Moon Lake Gardens and Dude Ranch. This barn served some thirty Kentucky bred horses for the guests' pleasure and is said to have housed the . . . — — Map (db m67625) HM
Formerly located on Washington Street, this first permanent home for the parish was dedicated on March 9, 1919, although Mass had been celebrated since 1913 in temporary locations by priests from Saint Leo Abbey. Father Felix Ullrich, OSB, was its . . . — — Map (db m67094) HM
This burial ground was established in 1916 by ladies of the New Port Richey Civic Club in a 2.2 acre site donated by George R. Sims. The first interment was that of Clifford E. Freels in 1917.
On September 26, 1917, the Pine Hill Cemetery . . . — — Map (db m67071) HM
Early residents of this area were Samuel H. Stevenson and his wife, Elizabeth, who believed in the therapeutic benefits of the mineral springs now known as Seven Springs. It became somewhat of a health resort after Stevenson created a pool by . . . — — Map (db m67645) HM
Originally named Enchantment Park, it was renamed December 16, 1924, to honor George R. Sims, early developer of New Port Richey and donor of the park and clubhouse. His wife, Marjorie, was the first Chasco Fiesta queen. The Civic Club, organized . . . — — Map (db m67072) HM
Odessa was named by Peter Demens, the developer of the Orange Belt Railway, in 1888. An emigrant from Russia, he named both this community and St. Petersburg for cities in his native land.
The town had approximately 2000 residents at the height . . . — — Map (db m67641) HM
This Indian mound is all that remains of a late Weeden Island period community, probably settled about A.D. 1000 and inhabited for several hundred years. Excavations conducted in 1879 by S.T. Walker for the Smithsonian Institution indicated this was . . . — — Map (db m67070) HM
On Feb. 15, 1881, Judge Edmund F. Dunne and captain Hugh Dunne, his cousin, came across this clear lake and named it for Saint Jovita whose feast day it was. Judge Dunne established San Antonio Catholic Colony on land he received for legal services . . . — — Map (db m37721) HM
Judge Edmund F. Dunne, ex-Chief Justice of Arizona, founded the Catholic Colony of San Antonio, Florida in 1881. Judge Dunne was a distinguished Catholic layman, a famous jurist, an editor, linguist, horticulturist, world traveler, and life long . . . — — Map (db m37720) HM
Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club incorporates the site of W.E. Currie's Lake Jovita Club of the 1920s and 30s. Gene Sarazen, a leading professional golfer of that era, considered the course-designed by Stiles & VanKleete-one of . . . — — Map (db m67629) HM
Once home to the Eufaula Indians, Prospect Community, also known as Gaskin Settlement, was west of Lake Buddy and Lake Pasadena.
In 1842, Jacob Wells was the first recorded settler in the area. His sister, Elizabeth Jane Osburn, and her . . . — — Map (db m67630) HM
In thanksgiving for a prayer answered, Judge Edmund F. Dunne began the Catholic Colony of San Antonio in 1882 and built its first church the following year at this site. Reminiscent of what he saw in Europe, the church (rather than a municipal . . . — — Map (db m40500) HM
Mrs. Cecelia Morse started the first school in San Antonio in 1883. The Benedectine Sisters assumed administration in 1889. This red brick schoolhouse was built in 1922 at a cost of 22,000 dollars eleven years after the adjacent church had been . . . — — Map (db m37532) HM
The St. Joseph community was founded by German Catholic immigrants who migrated to Florida from Minnesota. In March 1883, Andrew Barthle visited the area and in June 1883 his older brother, Bernard A. Barthle, established the first permanent . . . — — Map (db m37719) HM
Serving the community of Trilby--previously known as McLeod Settlement then Macon--the first burials in this cemetery were probably made not long after the McLeod family settled east of here in the 1870s. The earliest marked graves are in the . . . — — Map (db m67684) HM
Organized by the Rev. T.H. Sistrunk in 1897 and built by the 12 charter members a year later, this original frame church and steeple of pioneer design has long been a center of community activities. Moved from near the railroad coalchute to the . . . — — Map (db m67694) HM
By 1884 Mary Jane Godwin had applied for a Homestead Patent for 160 acres of land along present day S.R. 54. She received a two-acre parcel of this land on January 27, 1890, one acre for the cemetery and one acre for the church-Double Branch . . . — — Map (db m101055) HM
Donated by Julia Elizabeth Holton Benner in the 1880's, the cemetery's two acres were deeded to the Holton Cemetery Association by Mark H. and S. Louise Holton, on June 5, 1905 without benefit of a survey. When the adjacent property sold in 1961, it . . . — — Map (db m93391) HM
The pioneer Boyett(e), Gillett(e), Godwin, and Kersey families received land grants in the area in the 1840s. The real influx of settlers, however, began around the War Between the States when the Stanleys and Coopers arrived. . . . — — Map (db m67673) HM
It’s July 18, 1539…
Hernando de Soto’s army has crossed the nearby grasslands they call the green desert –
We could find no water in this lush green environment. Due to the intense summer sun, many of our men have succumbed to heat . . . — — Map (db m126573) HM
Union Civil War veterans and townspeople constructed this largest frame building in the county about 1910 as a meeting place for Garfield Post 39, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), and a community center. The city, as requested by Women's Relief . . . — — Map (db m93009) HM
The Hercules Powder Company Camp No. 39 was established on this site in September 1946. It was an eighty acre tract with sixty to seventy company built pre-fabricated homes rented to employees for four dollars per room per month; some employees . . . — — Map (db m93006) HM
Deeded by Zephyrhills Colony Co. to the Oakside Cemetery Association in November 1911 this hallowed tract is the burying ground of veterans of six wars in which the United States of America has been involved -- the Civil War, Spanish-American War, . . . — — Map (db m93007) HM
On November 23-26, 1909, an automobile road race was held to promote the need for “good roads” in Florida. “The Great Endurance Run,” as it was called, was sponsored by “The Tampa Daily Times” under the auspices . . . — — Map (db m3257) HM
Constructed as part of a group of state and WPA projects, major expansion of the airfield began in 1941 when it became home to U.S. Army Air Corps training facilities in preparation for WWII. It was in full operation by 1943, providing advanced . . . — — Map (db m93004) HM
The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot was built in 1927 and used for a passenger and freight services. This structure represents the architectural style of the early 1900s; large extended eaves, outdoor platforms, segregated waiting rooms.
This . . . — — Map (db m41501) HM
The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACLR) Depot was built in 1927 and was used as a station/depot for passenger service and for shipping citrus, produce and other goods, thereby stimulating economic development and residential settlement. Railroad . . . — — Map (db m41458) HM