Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pearl River County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Pearl River County - Area Confederate Companies Marker image, Touch for more information
May 6, 2017
Pearl River County - Area Confederate Companies Marker
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Picayune — Pearl River County - Area Confederate Companies
Pearl River County was formed after the Civil War from portions of Hancock and Marion Counties. The following Confederate military units were formed in those two parent counties of Pearl River County. Hancock County: Capt. Robards' Company (Co. G, . . . — Map (db m103258) HM WM
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Picayune — Picayune
Lumber and tung-oil center. Named for N.O. newspaper edited by former local resident, Eliza Jane Nicholson, famed as poet (Pearl Rivers) and pioneer in opening of journalism to women. — Map (db m103251) HM
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Picayune — Southern Railroad Logo
The Logo symbolizes the Southern Railroad which took over the rail system from New Orleans and Northeastern Railroads on or about 1915. The Logo was initially placed in Picayune in 1917 where it remained until it was damaged by construction in 2008. . . . — Map (db m103396) HM
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Picayune — Tank Car CROX 2027
Tank Car CROX 2027 was originally owned by Crosby Chemical Company, then sold to Arizona Chemical Company. When Arizona Chemical closed it was donated to the City of Picayune. The track on which it is located on is an original spur dating back to . . . — Map (db m103250) HM
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Picayune — The "Hancock Rebels"
Organized in March 1862 by Capt. D.B. Seal at Hobolochitto (now Picayune), the "Hancock Rebels" became Co. C, 38th Mississippi Infantry, C.S.A. Seeing action at Corinth, Iuka, and Vicksburg, the unit was mounted in 1864 and served under Nathan B. . . . — Map (db m49065) HM
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Poplarville — The Old Courthouse
The first courthouse for Pearl River County was built on this site in 1891-1892. It served the county until it was replaced by a new courthouse constructed across the street, in 1918. — Map (db m118386) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.