Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Perry County Alabama Historical Markers

 
The Alabama Baptist image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, November 8, 2013
The Alabama Baptist
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — The Alabama Baptist
The first issue of The Alabama Baptist was published in Marion, Alabama. General Edwin D. King, a Judson trustee, offered his office for use in printing and distributing the paper from 1843-1852. The building was owned by Milo P. Jewett, . . . — Map (db m70070) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Confederate Rest
During the War Between the States, Breckinridge Military Hospital was established at what is now Marion Military Institute. Soldiers who died were first buried behind MMI campus. After the war, Ladies Memorial Assoc. had remains exhumed and . . . — Map (db m70105) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — First Congregational Church of MarionEstablished 1869
Organized in Lincoln School by freed slaves and representatives of the American Missionary Association, an auxiliary of the Congregational Churches of America. Wherever a school was operated by the A.M.A. a church soon followed. Religion and . . . — Map (db m70087) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Judson College
Founded 1838 Milo P. Jewett, President Deeded in 1843 to The Alabama Baptist Convention One of the nation's first colleges to offer higher education for women, it has served, since its founding, as a liberal and fine arts . . . — Map (db m70071) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Lincoln Normal School
Side 1: On July 17, 1867, nine ex-slaves (James Childs, Alexander H. Curtis, Nicholas Dale, John Freeman, David Harris, Thomas Lee, Nathan Levert, Ivey Pharish and Thomas Speed) formed and incorporated the “Lincoln School of . . . — Map (db m70096) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Marion Military Institute
Founded in 1842 as Howard English & Classical School by the Alabama Baptist Convention, with Dr. S. S. Sherman as President, it later became Howard College. Lovelace Hall (Old South Barracks), built 1854, and the Chapel, built 1857, served the . . . — Map (db m70091) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Muckle's Ridge
Side 1: The site that became Marion was settled by Michael McElroy, traditionally known by his alias, Michael Muckle, around 1817. McElroy sold his property, which had become known as Muckle’s Ridge, to Anderson West in 1818. West and his . . . — Map (db m70089) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Nicola Marschall1829 - 1917
In honor of Nicola Marschall 1829 - 1917 Who designed at Marion Ala. The “Stars And Bars” First official flag adopted by “The Confederate States of America,” at Montgomery Ala., March 4, 1861; then . . . — Map (db m70100) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Perry County Veterans Memorial
In Honor of all Perry County Veterans of All Wars — Map (db m70103) WM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Siloam Baptist ChurchFounded 1822
Siloam was Alabama's most influential and important Baptist congregation and one of the strongest denominational centers in the South during the mid-19th century. The pastor and laymen were leaders in the organization of The Alabama Baptist State . . . — Map (db m70088) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Cemetery
From October 24, 1855 through December 17, 1877, the Parish records of St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Church states that people of color, both slave and free, were buried here in St. Wilfrid's cemetery. — Map (db m70067) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — The Marion Female Seminary
One of the earliest colleges for women in America. Founded in 1835, was the first of four colleges established in Marion,“The Athens of Alabama.” This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who . . . — Map (db m70068) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Uniontown — Church of the Holy Cross
Side 1: May 1844 - Episcopalians in Uniontown and Marengo County united to form Union Parish. The parish was admitted to the Diocese of Alabama on May 2, 1845. After the donation of this site in 1847, ladies of the congregation diligently . . . — Map (db m70065) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Uniontown — Green Gables1928-1983
Site of the road-house, Green Gables, built in 1928, which became the social center of the Black Belt. It was known for its lively but restrained atmosphere provided by a dance floor, juke box, and excellent T-bone steaks. Mr. Walter Kemp was the . . . — Map (db m70064) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement