On Fire Monument Road (State Highway 48) 0.2 miles east of Morris Avenue (County Road 140), on the left when traveling east.
This Monument is erected by The State of Minnesota under an Act of the Legislature Approved April 7th, A. D. 1899 To the Memory of Four Hundred and Eighteen Men Women and Children who perished in the Great Hinckley Forest Fire of September First A. . . . — — Map (db m2802) HM
Near Main Street North (County Highway 61) south of Northeast 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Plotted in 1869, was named from the Chippewa word "Chengwatana" City of Pines. It was a rough lumberjack town in the early days. From here, logs were floated down the Snake River into the St. Croix River to Stillwater. A rich deposit of copper was . . . — — Map (db m44032) HM
Near Interstate 35 at milepost 198, 2.3 miles north of State Highway 23, on the right when traveling north.
Lumbering first arrived in this area in the 1830s, logging the white and red pine stands along the St. Croix River. Sawmills were few and much of the pine lumber was floated down the St. Croix to the Mississippi River and on to other states. Logging . . . — — Map (db m5105) HM
Near Interstate 35 at milepost 208, 1.5 miles south of Laketown Road (County Road 46), on the right when traveling south.
In the 1880's, when General Christopher C. Andrews began urging the state to consider the future of its forested lands, most Minnesotans could not believe that there might ever be a shortage of timber. But by the time of his death in 1922 the vast . . . — — Map (db m5288) HM