Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Presidio County Texas Historical Markers

 
Blackwell School Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, October 22, 2012
Blackwell School Marker
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 16572 — Blackwell School
Education for local children of Mexican descent dates from 1889, when the former Methodist church became a schoolhouse. The school, named for longtime principal Jesse Blackwell, served hundreds of Hispanic children up to ninth grade. Students were . . . — Map (db m60796) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 13284 — Building 98, Fort D. A. Russell
Constructed in 1920, Building 98 housed the officers club and bachelor officers quarters for Fort D. A. Russell. During the latter years of the World War II, from 1943 to 1945, German prisoners of war from Field Marshal Erwin Rommel’s Afrika Korps . . . — Map (db m26356) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 1422 — El Paisano Hotel
Named for the nearby Paisano Mountain pass, this structure was completed in 1930. Gateway Hotel Company, owners of several area hotels, built it in anticipation of a local oil boom that never materialized. The architectural firm Trost and Trost of . . . — Map (db m53926) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 1978 — Fort D.A. Russell
Originally named Camp Marfa, this installation began as a supply post for U.S. Army border patrol stations in 1911. It was a cavalry camp during the years of the Mexican Revolution. Renamed for Civil War general David Allen Russell, it became a . . . — Map (db m56185) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 2597 — Humphris-Humphreys House
This was the home of rancher, merchant and community leader John Humphris and his wife Mary. Built in 1883 by local builder Saturnino Naborette, the house represents traditional building methods of early pioneer days in west Texas, with a central . . . — Map (db m60797) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 16579 — Hunter Gymnasium
In 1940, Marfa received a Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant of more than $15,000 to help build a new gymnasium named to honor athletic director Boren Hunter. The modified rectangular plan building features plastered adobe infill walls, a . . . — Map (db m60810) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 2715 — James Buchanan Gillett(Nov. 4, 1856 – June 11, 1937)
A very famous Texas Ranger. Born in Austin, son of Adjutant General of Texas. At 16 became cowboy on western frontier. At 19 joined Rangers; hunted down raiding Indians, rustlers, feuding settlers. After serving 1875-1881, became El Paso city . . . — Map (db m60795) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 3208 — Marfa Lights
The Marfa Lights, mysterious and unexplained lights that have been reported in the area for over one hundred years, have been the subject of many theories. The first recorded sighting of the lights was by rancher Robert Ellison in 1883. Variously . . . — Map (db m26358) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 3209 — Marfa Stockyards
Built in 1920 by the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railway Company, the Marfa stockyards provided a central shipping point for livestock raised in Presidio, Jeff Davis, and Brewster counties. As many as 70,000 head of cattle were shipped . . . — Map (db m60811) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 3391 — Milton Faver(ca. 1829 – December 1889)
The earliest large-scale cattleman to settle in the Big Bend, Milton (Don Meliton) Faver prospered against seemingly impossible odds to become the first cattle baron west of the Pecos. While operating a freighting business on the Chihuahua Trail, he . . . — Map (db m60847) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 3392 — Milton Faver Ranches
Milton Faver (ca.1822-1889), a native of the Midwest United States, moved to this area in the 1850s from Presidio del Norte, where he owned a general store and operated a freighting business on the Chihuahua Trail. By the 1880s, Faver controlled . . . — Map (db m60848) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 3951 — Paisano Pass
Legend recounts that two Spaniards meeting here greeted each other "Mi Paisano" (My Countryman). First known to history when Juan Dominguez de Mendoza camped here on January 3, 1684. Well known after 1850 as a point on the Chihuahua Trail, an . . . — Map (db m26360) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 8 — PresidioOldest Town in America
At confluence of Concho and Rio Grande Rivers. A settlement for over 10,000 years Site of first recorded wagon train crossing into Texas December 10, 1582 Headed by Antonio de Espejo — Map (db m60844) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 4116 — Presidio County
Formed from Bexar County Created January 3, 1850 Organized March 13, 1875 So named for the early "Fortress garrisoned by soldiers." Erected for the protection of the Big Bend missions. County seat Fort Davis, 1875 Marfa, . . . — Map (db m60843) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 4117 — Presidio County Courthouse
A landmark of the Big Bend. Large dome is visible for miles. Constructed of native stone and brick made at Marfa. Stucco added later. Built 1886 in this county's third seat of justice. First county seat was Fort Leaton, on the Rio Grande; . . . — Map (db m60809) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 13844 — Site of Marfa Army Air Field
During World War II, The U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF) established a significant number of training airfields across the state of Texas. The USAAF Western Flying Training Command selected Marfa as the site for an advanced multi-engine flying school . . . — Map (db m26477) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 12622 — William Edward Russell
Kentucky native William Edward Russell (1839-1890) came to Texas in the 1850s and worked his way to the Big Bend region, where he traded along the Chihuahua Trail and had a store at the Horsehead Crossing of the Pecos River. Russell became a . . . — Map (db m60794) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Presidio — 716 — Captain Henry SkillmanC.S.A.
Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas before 1846. Was a U. S. Army scout in Mexican War. Established the first mail service from San Antonio to El Paso in 1851. Drove first Butterfield Overland mail coach in 1858 through dangerous Comanche Indian . . . — Map (db m60854) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Presidio — 1416 — El Fortin de San Jose(The Little Fort of Saint Joseph)
About 1773, the Spanish garrison at Presidio del Norte, present Ojinaga, Mexico, established El Fortin de San Jose in this vicinity to protect local farmers. The settlement retained the name after the post was abandoned about 1810. After Ben Leaton . . . — Map (db m60855) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Presidio — 2525 — Home of Ben Leaton
First Anglo-American farmer in Presidio County In August 1848, Mr. Leaton acquired the building and it has since been known as Fort Leaton — Map (db m60860) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Presidio — 3403 — Mission del Apostol Santiago
Approximate site of Mission del Apostol Santiago One of nine missions established in the Big Bend country by Father Fray Nicolas Lopez, O.F.M., and Don Juan Dominguez de Mendoza in 1683-1684 Maintained by Franciscan missionaries . . . — Map (db m60858) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Presidio — 4118 — Presidio del Norte
Proximate site of Presidio del Norte de la Junta established by Captain Alonzo Rubin de Celis in 1759-1760. Name of post retained in part by the present town and county. In this vicinity the missions of San Antonio de los Puliques, San Francisco . . . — Map (db m60859) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Shafter — 521 — Brooks Cemetery
George H. Brooks (1833-1911) served in a California volunteer unit during the Civil War before settling in Presidio County in the 1860s. In 1878 he married Mexican native Ygnacia Reza. This cemetery began with the burial of their son, Albion E. . . . — Map (db m60851) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Shafter — 3390 — Milton Faver
Here Milton Faver established in the fifties the first Anglo-American owned ranch in the Big Bend Three quadrangular adobe fortresses situated at the Big Springs Cibolo, Cienaga and La Morita served as a defense against hostile . . . — Map (db m60852) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.