This, the fifth largest lake in the world, was the first of the Great Lakes seen by white men. By following the Ottawa River route, Samuel de Champlain in 1615 came to the “Freshwater Sea.” It was half a century before the French fully . . . — — Map (db m120725) HM
Frederick Burnham settled in Michigan in the 1840s. In 1850 he married Julia Clark in Ann Arbor. Beginning in the 1850s, the Burnhams acquired large tracts of Presque Isle County's rich timberlands. Among their holdings was the land purchased in . . . — — Map (db m66627) HM
side 1: John Kauffman
In 1858, German immigrant John C. Kauffman (1833-1913) left Buffalo bound for Chicago aboard a ship that later ran aground near Bell Bay. John walked ashore and made his way to Burnhams Landing at Presque Isle . . . — — Map (db m120786) HM
Presque Isle Harbor is one of Lake Huron's safest harbors of refuge. Its name comes from this peninsula which, translating from the French, is "almost and island." Indians and Frenchmen portaged across the peninsula to avoid several miles of open . . . — — Map (db m40149) HM
In 1869 the U.S. Congress appropriated $7,500 to build two range lights marking the channel into Presque Isle Harbor. Orlando M. Poe submitted plans in May 1870, and by August the range lights were in operation as seafarers aligned the lights to . . . — — Map (db m120784) HM
This lighthouse, built in 1870 by Orlando M. Poe, is one of three Great Lakes towers built from the same plans. It replaced the smaller 1840 harbor light. The conical brick tower rises 113 feet from a limestone foundation. The Third Order Fresnel . . . — — Map (db m40062) HM
Newell Avery Eddy Jr., who built the Presque Isle Lodge, was born in Bay City in 1880 to a lumbering family that had relocated from Maine to Michigan's Saginaw Valley in the early 1850s. In addition to the Eddy Brothers and Company lumber operation, . . . — — Map (db m120788) HM
An emergency steering wheel like this would have been found on steam-powered freighters operated by the Rogers City-based Bradley Transportation Line, which carried limestone from the Port of Calcite to locations throughout the Great Lakes from . . . — — Map (db m123700) HM
This two-story building was constructed in 1885 by brothers James and Ed Erskine. They ran a general store on the ground floor and lived upstairs. Over the years, it has also been a dry goods store, saloon, and clothing store. The photo shows the . . . — — Map (db m123980) HM
side 1: Forty Mile Point Lighthouse
During the late 1800s, the U.S. Lighthouse Board created a system of coastal lights along Lake Huron's Michigan shore so that mariners would always be within sight of at least one.
With a light . . . — — Map (db m126066) HM
This building was constructed in 1878 for Frederick Denny Larke and his wife Augusta. Larke was one of the founders of Rogers City, and an unparalleled advocate of community development. Originally a general store, it was converted to a drug store . . . — — Map (db m123692) HM
This is the oldest surviving commercial building in Rogers City. It was built in 1873 to house Herman Hoeft & Son's general store, the second store in the fledgling Village. The Hoefts were in competition with the “company store” . . . — — Map (db m123695) HM
The maritime professionals who sail the ships on the Great Lakes are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their fraternal organization, the I. M. S. A. whose purpose is stated in the Association's constitution, "The purpose of this association's . . . — — Map (db m121891) HM
For many decades, the “Calcite Light” greeted ships entering the harbor at Rogers City's Port of Calcite, the world's largest limestone quarry. Although the early history of this light is unknown, when it was manufactured in the early . . . — — Map (db m123701) HM
The center portion of this building, with its gabled roof, was built in 1899 for Charles Osgood, proprietor of the first bank in the county—the Presque Isle County Bank. The original building is shown in this 1907 photo. Charles Osgood is on . . . — — Map (db m123693) HM
Presque Isle County was organized in 1871. The County's original courthouse was built on this site in 1872. The property was donated to the County by William Rogers, namesake of Rogers City. The community's first cemetery and a tennis court also . . . — — Map (db m123691) HM
Rogers City's art deco-style Post Office was built in 1940 at a cost of $60,365. The photo shows the building shortly after it opened in 1940. Both the exterior and interior have changed little during the intervening years.
One of the highlights . . . — — Map (db m123754) HM
On this site stood the three-story, red brick Bertram Building shown in the photo. When it was completed in 1887, Third Street was only a rough path through the woods. F. E. Bertram, a sawmill operator and store owner, had the bricks brought in from . . . — — Map (db m123697) HM
Emil and Lizzie Poch purchased this property in 1890. The following year they had a building erected, in which they operated a hardware store. They later also sold dry goods and groceries.
In 1925, the owners of Lee's Hardware in Alpena leased . . . — — Map (db m123981) HM
This parcel of property is historically important for several reasons. The home of Frederick Denny Larke was located along the Third Street side of the lot. Larke was one of the founders of Rogers City and a successful businessman with diverse . . . — — Map (db m123982) HM
From 1897 until 2006, this corner lot at the center of Rogers City's business district was occupied by the imposing two-story, frame building shown in the photo. Originally a furniture store operated by Julius Gumm, the building was purchased in . . . — — Map (db m123699) HM
From 1910 until 1964, this site was occupied by the copper-domed Presque Isle County Savings Bank shown in the photo. Construction of the building was supervised by local lumberman and business owner Paul H. Hoeft, who had the structure placed on a . . . — — Map (db m123696) HM
The earliest building on this site seems to have been Rogers City's first flour mill, where wheat grown locally was ground into flour. That mill was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1913.
Sometime after that, David McKenzie operated an auto . . . — — Map (db m123698) HM
The Calcite Pilot House was saved and retired to Rogers City where it was installed as a tourist attraction at Harbor View overlooking the Calcite Plant. Over the years, she was visited by thousands of people. Eventually, the Pilot House was . . . — — Map (db m122335) HM
This structure was the first to be built in 1896. It was used to house the laborers that erected the lighthouse. After the house was complete, it was used by the workers that were contracted to do maintenance work such as boiler inspection, etc.
. . . — — Map (db m122171) HM
The Glawe (Glove) School was established in the 1880s. It was built on Ocqueoc Road in Ocqueoc Township. On land that was donated by Christian Glawe.
The school was in continuous use until 1960. After that it was used for church functions until . . . — — Map (db m122182) HM