Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Prince George's County Maryland Historical Markers

365 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 165
 
Calvert Manor Marker image, Touch for more information
By F. Robby, December 1, 2004
Calvert Manor Marker
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Calvert Manor
Originally a grant of 3,000 acres by Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, to his nephew, William Calvert, 1662. The area was visited by Captain John Smith, 1608, by Captain Henry Fleet, 1629, and by Governor Leonard Calvert and Father Andrew White, . . . — Map (db m3566) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Cherished HomelandCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail — Piscataway National Park
This place has been the heart of the Piscataway people’s homeland for many centuries. Their leader’s town, Moyaone, was located here when John Smith and his crew visited in June 1608.

Smith did not write much about the Piscataway, except that . . . — Map (db m96416) HM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Christ Episcopal Church Accokeek
Erected in 1745 when it was declared by the General Assembly of Maryland to be the "lower chapel of ease" for King George's (Piscatoway) Parish, Christ Church was the outgrowth of a chapel established about 1698 by private contributions. In 1823 it . . . — Map (db m3567) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Ecosystem FarmPiscataway Park Accokeek Creek
The Robert Ware Straus Ecosystem Farm gives a look into the possible future of farming. Sustainable and organic farming practices allow the Farm to attain high quality produce with minimal impact on the environment.

The Robert Ware Straus . . . — Map (db m96422) HM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — First People of the PotomacPiscataway Park
When Europeans first arrived on the shores of North America, they found a continent inhabited by perhaps tens of millions of people! These people had arrived more than 10,000 years earlier, and through many generations had created complex societies, . . . — Map (db m8560) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Fishing the Potomac RiverThe National Colonial Farm — Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
In 1759, George Washington wrote that the Potomac River was “…well-stocked with various kinds of fish at all seasons of the year, and in the spring with shad, herrings, bass, carp, perch, sturgeon, etc. in great abundance.” Fisherman . . . — Map (db m70613) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — John Smith Explores the ChesapeakeCaptain John Smith National Historic Trail — Piscataway National Park
Captain John Smith explored the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1600s seeking precious metals and a passage to Asia. He traveled the James, Chickahominy, and York rivers in 1607, and led two major expeditions from Jamestown in 1608. Smith and his crew . . . — Map (db m96417) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Join the AdventureCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail — Piscataway National Park
Explore the places Englishman John Smith traveled in the early 1600s. Learn about the thriving American Indian communities he encountered and imagine the bountiful Chesapeake he observed. Experience the natural and cultural richness that exists in . . . — Map (db m96418) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Land Shaping PeopleAccokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
Outdoor Activities Welcome to the Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park. Here, everyone can learn about the past, the present, and the future of peoples’ relationship to the land in southern Maryland. You can learn about history, nature and . . . — Map (db m96421) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Leaf, Land, and PeopleThe National Colonial Farm — Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
Worldwide demand for tobacco encouraged European colonists to grow the crop almost exclusively. Planters sold it to Europe and bought goods in exchange. Life in colonial Prince George’s County revolved around growing tobacco. Tobacco brought . . . — Map (db m70621) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Marshall Hall
Marshall Hall, patented as “Mistake” in 1728 by Thomas Marshall, was the estate of the Marshall family from sometime after 1728 until 1857. Thomas Marshall (1694-1759), the first owner, is buried in the family cemetery on the property. . . . — Map (db m71115) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — People Shaping the LandThe National Colonial Farm — Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
The National Colonial Farm offers a glimpse into the farming and social lives of Marylanders between 1760 and 1775. The National Colonial Farm was one of the Accokeek Foundation’s first endeavors. It offers a view into the life of a small, . . . — Map (db m70610) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Potomac HeritageThe National Colonial Farm — Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
Before you flows the great Potomac River, a 390 mile stretch of water, forests, fields and wetlands that tells the story of ten thousand years of human habitation. The river begins as a spring at the Fairfax Stone in West Virginia, evolves to a . . . — Map (db m70615) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Science and History TogetherThe National Colonial Farm — Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
Here at the National Colonial Farm, you will see a realistic portrait of everyday life in Prince George’s County 250 years ago. Welcome to the National Colonial Farm, one of the Accokeek Foundation’s first educational programs. Created in 1958, . . . — Map (db m70620) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — The National Colonial FarmAccokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
Hundreds of thousands of people have visited The National Colonial Farm since it was founded in 1958. The farm was created to show how the ordinary farm family lived in colonial times prior to the American Revolution and has served as an important . . . — Map (db m70619) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Traveling on the Potomac RiverThe National Colonial Farm — Accokeek Foundation at Piscataway Park
For more than 10,000 years, the Potomac River has been a key to prosperity for people living within its watershed---providing water, food, recreational opportunities, and a means of transportation. Native Americans in birch bark and dugout canoes . . . — Map (db m70612) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Welcome to the Visitor CenterPiscataway National Park
The Visitor Center can be a starting point for your visit. Inside, exhibits describe the people who have inhabited this part of Prince George’s County. You can learn about why Piscataway Park exists today and how the Accokeek Foundation preserves . . . — Map (db m96420) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Adelphi — Adelphi Mill
This old grist mill built in the summer of 1796, probably by two brothers Issacher adn Mahlon Scofield. In 1811 the mill was also used for wool carding. The miller's cottage is of the same period. — Map (db m3628) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Adelphi — Mother Jones“Grand Old Champion of Labor”
Mary Harris “Mother” Jones, the legendary labor organizer, spent a life fighting for unions and the rights of workers. She died at the Burgess Farm near here on November 30, 1930, aged 100 years. — Map (db m61188) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Andrews Air Force Base — U.S. Air Force Special Air Missions
This Lockheed Jetstar is the original 4-engine prototype first flown on 3 April 1958. Its descendant, the C-140B has flown over half of all Special Air Missions [SAM] since joining the 89th Military Airlift Wing in 1963. The workhorse of the SAM . . . — Map (db m40695) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Aquasco — Alarming SightStar-Spangled Banner Historic Trail
Amid rumors of a large British force on the Patuxent, Secretary of State James Monroe scouted the situation. From heights near Aquasco Mills August 20, 1814, he spotted the enemy vessels landing at Benedict. Alarmed, Monroe positioned . . . — Map (db m75347) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Aquasco — Brig Gen Leonard Covington1768 - 1813
Brig Gen Leonard Covington 1768-1813 War of 1812 hero born at nearby Covington Farm, Aquasco. Covington served in the Maryland Senate (1802, 1807-1809) and U.S. House of Representatives (1805-1807). Mortally wounded on November 11, 1813, at . . . — Map (db m79348) HM WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Aquasco — Woodville School
Constructed in 1934 to serve area African-American children, with labor furnished by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration and materials purchased by the county board of Education. Larger better equipped than the typical rural schools of the . . . — Map (db m79909) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Ammendale Normal Institute
This is the site of Ammendale Normal Institute, built to house the novitiate and school of the Christian Brothers, a teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church. It is located in an area known as Ammendale, after Admiral Daniel Ammen, inventor, . . . — Map (db m2984) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Beltsville Agricultural Research Center - West
The American Society for Horticultural Science hereby recognizes the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center - West as an ASHS Horticultural Landmark for an outstanding history of research that has benefited the science of horticultural research in . . . — Map (db m19183) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Brown’s Tavern
This plaque and garden commemorate the site of Brown’s Tavern, a Prince George’s County Historic Site that served travelers on the former Baltimore-Washington turnpike from the early 1830’s to the early 1990’s. It was constructed and owned by the . . . — Map (db m2983) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Ebenezer Meeting HouseFirst Methodist Episcopal Church in Beltsville, Maryland
In 1836, trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church puchased one acre of land at this location from Evan Shaw, a Plantation Owner, at a cost of ten dollars. Ebenezer Meeting House was built on this location and was in use until about 1861. A . . . — Map (db m98944) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Queen’s Chapel Methodist Church, Established 1868
Site of the original Queen's Chapel Church, founded just after the Civil War by Thomas Queen and other Trustees. The church was build at the location of an early African-American burying ground, and became an important meeting place for the black . . . — Map (db m61021) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Site of Rhodes’ Tavern
Lieutenant-General George Washington “dined at Rhodes” December 18, 1798, on his last journey from Philadelphia to Mount Vernon. — Map (db m2982) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Site of Van Horn's Tavern
An important stopping place in colonial days. Mentioned by Washington, Lafayette and other noted men after the Revolution. Count de Rochambeau's troops camped here in June 1782 on the return march from the victory at Yorktown. — Map (db m3574) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Van Horn’s Tavern
On Vansville Hill, Prince George's County, Maryland. President George Washington stopped there on July 19, August 7, and September 12, 1795. — Map (db m355) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Carrington Avenue
General Edward C. Carrington (1825-1892) purchased the Yarrow land tract consisting of 150 acres and the home called Sportland for $59,000 on 9 September 1869.

In 1846, he organized Captain Carrington’s Company, 1st Regiment Virginia . . . — Map (db m50403) HM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Washington, Spa Spring & Gretta Railroad
The Washington Spa Spring & Gretta Railroad (WSSGRR) was a streetcar that served Berwyn Heights, 1912 – 1921. Incorporated in Maryland in 1905, WSSGRR started running from 15th and H Street, NE to Bladensburg in 1910. An extension to Riverdale . . . — Map (db m95141) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Bladensburg Floods (1742-1954)
Floods were practically a way of life in Bladensburg until the late 1950s, when an intensive flood control project was completed. Noted attorney and author William Wirt, who was born in Bladensburg in 1772, makes mention of the floods at Bladensburg . . . — Map (db m8218) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Bladensburg MonumentsHonoring their Service — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
This crossroads has become a place for communities to commemorate their residents in service and death. Among the memorials dedicated here is the "Undaunted in Battle" Monument to those who served and died in the War of 1812 and the Battle of . . . — Map (db m78149) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Bostwick
Built in 1746 by Christopher Lowndes. Home of Benjamin Stoddert First Secretary of the U.S. Navy 1798 -- 1801. — Map (db m61929) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Bostwick
Bostwick Built in 1746 by Christopher Lowndes Merchant -- Ship Builder First Postmaster Prominent Citizen of Blandensburg Home of Benjamin Stoddert First Secretary U.S. Navy 1789-1801 On National Register of Historical . . . — Map (db m65829) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — BostwickStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — Preserving the Past
Bostwick House is an important, but fragile, historic resource with many community, local, and statewide partners engaged in collaborative planning to restore this significant structure. One of the first efforts at preservation was in 1936 when the . . . — Map (db m95992) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — BostwickStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — A Workplace of Many Generations
Although never part of an extensive agricultural plantation, the Bostwick House property was the workplace of many people over the centuries. The earliest residents, the Piscataway Indians, left some evidence that the area was used for hunting and . . . — Map (db m96004) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — BostwickStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — An Evolving Landscape
The 7.7 acres that comprise the landscape of Bostwick House provide a welcome respite of open space from the surrounding dense urban environment. The most prominent manmade feature of the land is the wide west lawn that is divided into four broad . . . — Map (db m96005) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — British AdvanceStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
This house from the days when Bladensburg was a busy port town where George Washington stopped as he traveled the Old Post Road. On August 24, 1814, the British established an artillery position nearby and fired cannon and rockets at American . . . — Map (db m61081) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — British StopoverStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — Bostwick House
British officers stopped at Bostwick House on August 24, 1814, then home of prisoner of war agent Col. Thomas Barclay. From Lowndes Hill, behind the house, British commander Robert Ross observed the American defensive lines.

Bostwick House . . . — Map (db m95991) HM WM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Casualties of WarStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Hilleary-Magruder House was likely one of many sites in town where more than 200 British and American soldiers wounded in the Battle of Bladensburg were taken for treatment and convalescence. Built in 1742 by William Hilleary, later the home of . . . — Map (db m61106) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Colonial Ropemaking
One of the maritime industries that was present in the colonial port of Bladensburg was the making of rope and various other types of cordage. In colonial and nineteenth century America, this activity took place in a manufacturing facility known as . . . — Map (db m8222) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Dinosaur Alley
Bladensburg lies in the geologic region known as "Dinosaur Alley." It is the area on the East Coast of the United States were the greatest number of dinosaur bones have been found. Dinosaur Alley runs along the Route 1 corridor between Baltimore and . . . — Map (db m33227) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Duels and the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds
The Bladensburg dueling grounds were the scene of at least 26 recorded duels during the nineteenth century. Although the location of these duels was considered part of the Bladensburg area when they were fought, today the dueling grounds lie within . . . — Map (db m8177) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Encampment of Coxey's Army (1894)
In the wake of the economic "Panic of 1893", social reformer Jacob Coxey and his "Army of the Commonwealth," consisting of approximately 500 unemployed workers, marched from Ohio to Washington, D.C., to demonstrate at the Capitol for unemployment . . . — Map (db m6070) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — First Unmanned Balloon Ascension (1784)
On June 17, 1784, the first documented balloon ascension in America took place in a field near the town of Bladensburg. The man responsible for this remarkable event was an enterprising Prince George's County innkeeper and lawyer named Peter Carnes. . . . — Map (db m49633) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — George Washington House(Circa 1752)
The George Washington House, often referred to as the Indian Queen Tavern, was built by tavern keeper Jacob Wirt. Prior to the Revolution, when Bladensburg was a thriving port town, this building was rented out to Cunningham and Company, a Scottish . . . — Map (db m3575) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Hilleary-Magruder HouseBladensburg Archaeology — Star-Spangled Banner Historic Trail
The Hilleary-Magruder House was constructed circa 1742 and is the oldest building in Bladensburg, In 1763, Scottish merchant Richard Henderson bought the property . He lived here with his family and more than two dozen enslaved African . . . — Map (db m75993) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Historic Bladensburg Waterfront Park - Port Town HistoryThe Ports of Bladensburg and Beall Town
In 1742, the town of Bladensburg was created on the banks of the Anacostia River (also known as the Eastern Branch of the Potomac river) through an act of the Maryland General Assembly for the purpose of promoting trade and commerce. The act stated . . . — Map (db m8220) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Indian Queen TavernBladensburg Archaeology — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Around 1763, Jacob and Henrietta Wirt constructed a two story wooden tavern here. During the 18th century, taverns offered dinner, drink, and a comfortable bed to weary travelers. A decade later, Jacob died and left his property, including . . . — Map (db m78189) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Joshua Barney's Barge and the Chesapeake Flotilla
Joshua Barney's Barge is a 4/5 scale, authentic working replica of an American warship of the Chesapeake Flotilla from the War of 1812. This barge was built as a project of the Prince George's County tricentennial in 1996 by The Maryland-National . . . — Map (db m8219) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Peace Cross“This Memorial Cross”
1917–1918. This memorial cross dedicated to the heroes of Prince George’s County, Maryland, who lost their lives in the Great War for the liberty of the world. Albert N. Baden, Henry H. Boswell, Herman E. Burgess, Clarence Butler, . . . — Map (db m5187) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Railroad History in Bladensburg
In its infancy in America, the railroad came to Bladensburg. In 1833, construction began in Baltimore on the 32-mile-long Washington line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. It originally passed directly through Bladensburg, however, the main line . . . — Map (db m8221) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The Battle of Bladensburg (1814)The War of 1812
On August 24, 1814, British forces broke camp at Melwood Park and moved northwest to Bladensburg. The Baltimore militia, under the command of General Tobias Sansbury, was positioned west of the Anacostia River along the Bladensburg-Washington Road . . . — Map (db m6069) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The First Telegraph Line (1844)
In 1844, the first magnetic telegraph line was being constructed between Washington and Baltimore by its inventor, Samuel F. B. Morse. The line followed the railroad tracks from Washington, through Bladensburg, and on to Baltimore. Congress had . . . — Map (db m6072) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The Incidental Cause of the Star-Spangled Banner (1814)
Following the Battle of Bladensburg and the sacking and burning of Washington, D.C., during the war of 1812, British troops reentered the town of Upper Marlboro on August 26, 1814. It was at this point that some stragglers were arrested and . . . — Map (db m33226) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The Market Square & Stone HouseBladensburg Archaeology — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Christopher Lowndes, a prominent English merchant, constructed a small stone building here around 1760. Although he lived at Bostwick on the hill to the east, this property stayed in the Lowndes family until 1883. Over the past 250 years, . . . — Map (db m75902) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m78230) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Undaunted In BattleThe Battle of Bladensburg — August 24, 1814
Undaunted War of 1812 This Monument Stands as A Tribute to the American Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines who fought and Died here defending their Nation's Capital This monument depicts Commodore Joshua Barney of the U.S. Navy a . . . — Map (db m78136) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Veterans Memorial
Korea June 1950 - July 1953 Vietnam July 1959 - May 1975 DUTY - HONOR - COURAGE — Map (db m5188) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — World War II Honor Roll
Honor Roll In memory of the men and women of Prince George's County who made the supreme sacrifice that freedom might live. Prince George's County World War II — Map (db m5189) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Archaeology at the Brick Quarters
Constructed in the 1840s, this 22 by 40 foot brick slave quarters housed two families. It was divided into two living areas by a central wall and chimney. Each side has an entryway and fireplace with a loft above. Later, a shed was added to the . . . — Map (db m69272) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Archaeology at the Frame Quarters
Osborn Sprigg, Jr. lived at Northampton from 1775-1814/1815. The 1798 Federal Direct Tax of Northampton lists his property as consisting of: ...a Framd (sic) Dwelling House 60 by 40 with hip roof Kitchen 36 by 26 with hip roof, Wash house 30 by . . . — Map (db m69273) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Belair
Governor Samuel Ogle (1692-1752) owned Belair, built circa 1745. The Georgian Palladian style house stands on a tobacco plantation that included gardens, a vineyard, deer park, horse stables and numerous dependencies. Ogle's son, Benjamin . . . — Map (db m66434) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Belair Mansion
Belair was built circa 1740 by Samuel Ogle, Governor of Maryland. Through the years the mansion became known as the "House of Governors" because governors Thomas Bladen, Benjamin Tasker Sr., Benjamin Ogle I, Oden Bowie and Christopher Lowndes were . . . — Map (db m66436) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Belair on the Home FrontSouthern Sympathizers
When the Civil War began, Prince George's County was full of Southern sympathizers. To keep Maryland in the Union, President Abraham Lincoln imposed martial law, and as the Prince George's Planters' Advocate on May 8, 1861, noted, "Maryland is thus . . . — Map (db m66432) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Belair Stable
In 1747 Maryland's Provincial Governor Samuel Ogle (1692-1752) brought to Belair the first documented breeding pair of thoroughbred horses, Spark and Queen Mab. Hailed as the Cradle of American Thoroughbred Racing, Belair's legacy continued with . . . — Map (db m66430) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Blacksox Park
The Washington Blacksox In 1961, William "Doffey" Jones, owner and manager of the Washington Blacksox team built a sandlot baseball stadium on this site. They played on this field until ca. 1971. The Blacksox team was established in 1928 and . . . — Map (db m78752) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Bowie Railroad Station Museum
The Baltimore and Potomac Railroad, chartered in 1853, inaugurated train service on July 2, 1872 with a line to Washington, and on January 1, 1873 opened the Pope's Creek line to southern Maryland. At the junction of the two lines the town of Bowie . . . — Map (db m646) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Bowie State University
Oldest historically black institution of higher education in Maryland. Established in 1865 in Baltimore as a school for freed slaves. In 1867 became Baltimore Normal School for the education of colored teachers. Relocated in 1911 to Prince George’s . . . — Map (db m96371) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — From Huntington to Bowie - The History
Originally called Huntington, Bowie developed as a result of the railroad junction at this location and is now a thriving city. In 1853, Col. Wm. D. Bowie convinced the Maryland legislature to charter the Baltimore & Potomac Railroad Company. . . . — Map (db m71902) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Hall Station
Abolition of slavery after the Civil War brought change to labor practices and subdivision of tobacco plantations, such as 108-acre “Collington Meadows”. R.C. Duval built a general store and post office ca. 1877 on part of the former . . . — Map (db m95821) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Holy Trinity Church
The original house of worship on this site, part of "Martha's Choice", was a chapel of ease. It was donated by the Queen Anne's Parish by the Reverend Jacob Henderson and his wife Mary, widow of Mareen Duvall, Esq. In 1844 it became Holy Trinity . . . — Map (db m3582) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Melford and CemeteryBowie, Maryland
Built in 1840s, Melford is a two-and-one-half-story brick plantation house of side-hall and double parlor plan. It is distinguished by a two-story semi-circular bay and a parapetted double chimney at one gable end. It was built for Richard Duckett . . . — Map (db m61614) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Northampton Slave Quarters and Archaeological Park
In 1673, Charles Calvert, the Third Lord Baltimore, granted 1000-acres of land to Thomas Sprigg. Sprigg named the property Northampton, located in what later became Prince George's County, and was home to the Sprigg family and their slaves and . . . — Map (db m69274) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh(Formerly St. Francis Borgia)
Sacred Heart Chapel was built about 1741 by Jesuit Priests on the property known as White Marsh. The priests turned their 2,000 acre bequest into a thriving plantation. During the 1780's the American clergy met several times at White Marsh, and here . . . — Map (db m31215) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Seeking Freedom
"Billy", who went by William Whitington, and "Clem", also known as Clem Hill, escaped together on June 21, 1815, as shown in the ad printed in the Washington, D.C. newspaper, Daily National Intelligencer on June 26, 1815 It appears that . . . — Map (db m69277) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Belair Stud FarmCradle of American Racing
Colonial Manor where breeding for the turf was carried on for three centuries. Laying the foundation of American thoroughbred racing. Samuel Ogle original owner, imported the stallion "Spark", the filly "Queen Mab" and other prize horses. His . . . — Map (db m64743) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Bowie Caboose
A caboose was the accustomed conclusion to any freight train, and served many roles. It allowed crewmen to keep a lookout for how the freight cars were functioning as the train moved along. It provided a place to rest and eat for the crew working on . . . — Map (db m65393) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Bowie Caboose
This is the former Norfolk and Western Railroad's CF Class Caboose #518-303. It was built at the N&W East End Shops in Roanoke, Virginia, in April 1922. The N&W did not serve Bowie but did enter Maryland at Hagerstown. After nearly fifty years of . . . — Map (db m65394) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Weary WarriorsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Exhausted from marching, battling at Bladensburg, and invading Washington, British soldiers stopped to rest. Many slept on Northampton Plantation property on August 26, 1814, before resuming their march to Upper Marlboro. By August 30, after the . . . — Map (db m78146) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — William Levitt and Sons, Belair-at-Bowie
The Levitt family revolutionized the building industry beginning in the 1920s. During World War II they created an efficient production-line assembly of houses establishing the post-war look of American suburbs. The first Levittown of Long Island . . . — Map (db m64777) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brandywine — John Wilkes Boothand his companion David Herold
Entered Charles County near this spot after assassinating President Abraham Lincoln in Washington on April 14, 1965. — Map (db m24211) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brandywine — St. Paul's Episcopal ChurchBaden
Parish Church of St. Paul's Parish, one of the thirty original parishes established in 1692 in the Province of Maryland. The present structure was built in 1733 to replace the earlier church at Mt. Calvert that was in existence prior to 1692. . . . — Map (db m3568) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brandywine — Up in FlamesStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Tobacco was a target along the Patuxent in 1814. The British raided places stocked with hogsheads of tobacco ready for shipment. Filled with dried tobacco leaves, the wooden barrels burned easily. Imagine the spectacle on June 17 when 1,100 . . . — Map (db m75418) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Barney Monument
This is the site of the Battle of Bladensburg . It was here that Commodore Barney and his marines were defeated in the war of 1812. The British moved on to burn the Capitol and White House. — Map (db m61435) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Dueling Grounds
Near this site, more than fifty duels were fought during the first half of the 19th century. This is where gentlemen of Washington settled their political and personal differences, on what became known as "The Dark and Bloody Grounds". One of the . . . — Map (db m73141) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Fort Lincoln Mausoleum
The finest Community Mausoleum in the world, Embellished with cathedral -type, art stained glass windows of breath-taking beauty. A great memorial dedicated and perpetually endowed for all those entombed within its marble halls. Its interior . . . — Map (db m69730) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Little Church of Fort Lincoln
This church considered a gem of design and construction, won the architectural award presented by the Washington Board of Trade, in competition with over 400 other buildings in the Washington area, the year it was built. It is laid out in the form . . . — Map (db m69270) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Living Sculpture
This unusual feature was created by the famous sculptor, Enrico Cerrachio. Should you walk across the arm of the cross, formed by the walkway, you will observe the that the eyes and entire head appear to turn and look directly at the beholder at all . . . — Map (db m69515) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Original Federal Boundary Stone Northeast 7
Placed in 1791-1792, this is one of forty Aquia Creek sandstone markers outlining the original boundaries of the Federal District as commissioned by President Washington. In 1916, The District of Columbia Daughters of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m69426) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Capitol Heights — MiseryStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
In the stifling heat on August 24, 1814, British soldiers struggled to keep up their march. They rested at Addison Chapel prior to that afternoon’s battle at Bladensburg.

Despite an altered roofline, chapel resembles the 1809 structure seen by . . . — Map (db m80059) HM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Chapel Hill — Chapel Hill
A post-Civil War African American farming community established on former plantation land. Named for the Digges family chapel. A Freedman's Bureau School established in 1868 and a meetinghouse of ca. 1880 became focal points of the community. A . . . — Map (db m79942) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Cheltenham — Cheltenham United Methodist Church(Formerly Westwood Methodist Episcopal Church)
Founded in 1873 at Westwood Farm, home of Julius H. Pyles. The cornerstone was laid on October 30, 1879 and the church constructed by the congregation. Enoch Pratt, Baltimore City philanthropist, attended the dedication. The pupit was handmade from . . . — Map (db m3608) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Cheltenham — Church of the Atonement, 1875St. Thomas' Episcopal Parish
Here a "Carpenter Gothic" church was consecrate July 1875 by Bishop William Pinkney of Maryland. Built on land purchased by Enoch Pratt, formerly Thomas F. Bowie's estate "Cheltenham" and William Talbert's "Finches Discovery". Bell tower constructed . . . — Map (db m17427) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Cheverly — The Magruder Spring(The Cheverly Spring)
According to tradition, the Magruder Spring was used by British troops marching along the river road toward Washington, D.C. on August 24, 1814 before the battle of Bladensburg. The Spring is located about 500 yard south of Mount Hope, the Fielder . . . — Map (db m61019) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — Crucifix
Erected by friends and relatives of Reverend Father Horstkamp to commemorate the tragic death of his mother Mary Eve Horstkamp on August 28, 1931. — Map (db m6235) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — His Lordship’s Kindness
Name derives from 7000-acre grant by Lord Baltimore in 1703. Although present house, known as Poplar Hill for many years, may date from latter part of 18th century, it was believed built c. 1728 for Anne Talbot, niece of 14th Earl of Shrewsbury upon . . . — Map (db m72052) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — John Wilkes Booth
The assassin of Lincoln stopped here at the house of Mrs. Surratt to secure ammunition on the night of April 14, 1865. He rode on to "T.B." and then to Dr. Mudd's who set his broken leg. — Map (db m3612) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — John Wilkes BoothEscape of an Assassin — War on the Chesapeake
Divided loyalties and ironies tore at Marylanders’ hearts throughout the Civil War: enslaved African-Americans and free United States Colored Troops; spies and smugglers; civilians imprisoned without trial to protect freedom; neighbors and families . . . — Map (db m60164) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — Slaves’ Infirmary [on His Lordship’s Kindness]
The brick portion of this building, probably constructed in the early 1800s, is believed to have served as an infirmary for the enslaved population. Here, African-American women often served as midwives and healers, delivering babies or attending to . . . — Map (db m4166) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — Surratt TavernConfederate Safe House — John Wilkes Booth - Escape of an Assassin
Owned and operated by the ardently pro-Southern Surratt family, this building was used by Confederate agents as a safe house during the Civil War. Built in 1852, the structure was a tavern, hostelry and post office. Surratt's son, John, Jr., a . . . — Map (db m4188) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — Thrift School1884-1909
One of the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouses in Prince George’s County, Thrift School was built in 1884. It replaced an earlier school from 1869 located on the same site. The School Commissioners, having acquired the one-acre tract from the . . . — Map (db m6084) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — "From Stagecoach to Streetcar to Subway: A College Town Emerges"City of College Park — Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
College Park was incorporated by referendum in 1945. However, the city’s origin goes back much further. During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, College Park began to emerge from farmland both as a transportation hub and as a center for . . . — Map (db m71860) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — "May Peace Prevail on Earth" — University of Maryland
Spoken in the many languages of the University of Maryland, this was our collective prayer on September 12, 2001 when thousands gathered with flowers on McKeldin Mall to mourn the loss of innocent lives at the Pentagon, the World Trade Center, and . . . — Map (db m65179) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — "The University of Maryland Is Deeply Rooted in History"City of College Park — Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
From its pre-Civil War roots as the state’s first agricultural college and one of America’s original land grant institutions, the University of Maryland has emerged as a public research university of national stature, highly regarded for its broad . . . — Map (db m13160) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — “On the Shoulders of Giants”
This memorial garden was commissioned the 14th of April, 1998 and is dedicated to our African American ancestors who have constructed, educated, served and contributed to the University of Maryland. African Americans – both enslaved and . . . — Map (db m55043) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Calvert Hills: A National Register Historic DistrictCity of College Park“ATHA” Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
The Calvert Hills neighborhood, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December of 2003, is an example of the residential development that occurred on the outskirts of Washington, D.C. during the early 20th Century. Calvert . . . — Map (db m71859) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College
The College Park Campus began on this hilltop. In 1856, Charles Benedict Calvert of Riversdale gave 420 acres for the founding of Maryland Agricultural College. The original College building was the Barracks, a beautiful six-story gothic structure . . . — Map (db m9772) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Blair Lee III(1916-1985)
Acting Governor, State of Maryland, 1977-1979 Member of the University of Maryland Board of Regents, 1980-1985 A public servant of unrivaled integrity, dedication, and sound judgment, Blair Lee III served the people of the State of Maryland . . . — Map (db m48145) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Calvert Hall
In honor of Charles B. Calvert Born August 20, 1808 Died May 12, 1864 through whose efforts was established the Maryland Agricultural College, the first college in America chartered expressly for agricultural experimentation and . . . — Map (db m14610) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — City of College Park
Welcome to the City of College Park The city is perhaps best known as home to the flagship campus of the University of Maryland. More surprising is that a significant chapter in early aviation history began here in 1909 at the world's oldest . . . — Map (db m5740) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Clarence Mitchell, Jr.(1911 - 1984) — Member of the University of Maryland Board of Regents 1982-1984
Affectionately known as the "101st Senator" of the United States of America, Clarence Mitchell, Jr. was an effective proponent of civil rights. A shrewd political strategist and an artful orator and parliamentarian. His contributions to the state . . . — Map (db m23360) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — College Park AirportFirst Military Airport In The United States
The following notable events occurred on this airfield 1909 - Wilbur Wright instructed first flying officers of Signal Corps, U. S. Army 1911 - First Army flying school established here First bombsite tested from an aircraft 1912 - . . . — Map (db m70823) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — College Park Airport: “Oldest Continually Operated in the World” — First Military Airfield in the United States
The following notable events occurred on this airfield: • 1907 – Early aeronautical experiments by Rex Smith and others • 1908 – Oct. 8, Wilbur Wright instructed first flying officers of the Signal Corps, U.S. Army • 1909 – . . . — Map (db m61870) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — College Park War Memorial
Panel 1: This memorial is dedicated to the men and women of the United States of America - Veterans and Volunteers - who gave of themselves so that the principles of Justice, Freedom, and Democracy might be preserved 30 May 1993 . . . — Map (db m65665) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Dervey Augusta Lomax1925 – 2008 — [Lake Artemesia - Lakeland]
On this site was the boyhood home of Dervey Augusta Lomax, first Mayor of African American ancestry in the City of College Park from 1973-1975. This site was part of the residential/business Lakeland community prior to the creation of Lake . . . — Map (db m52305) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Engineering 100Maryland Engineers - Designing Tomorrow Today: 1894-1994 — University of Maryland at College Park
[south face:] Engineering 100 Maryland Engineers - Designing Tomorrow Today: 1894-1994 University of Maryland at College Park [east face:] Important Milestones 1894 – 1944 1894 - Mechanical Engineering . . . — Map (db m44928) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Founders’ Gateway
(Right Tablet) Erected in honor of those through whose contributions was established The Maryland Agricultural College (list of names) (Left Tablet) The University of Maryland The Maryland Agricultural College was founded on this campus . . . — Map (db m167) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Juan Ramón Jiménez — (1881-1958)
Spanish Poet, 1956 Nobel Laureate Member of the former Department of Foreign Languages of the University of Maryland (1943-1951) “This is my liberty: smelling the rose, Cutting the cold water with my crazy hand, . . . — Map (db m61308) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Leo Van Munching
Leo Van Munching, Jr. was born on April 7, 1926 in Rotterdam, Holland. Following his military career from 1944-1946, Mr. Van Munching enrolled at the University of Maryland at College Park, and graduated in 1950 from the College of Business and . . . — Map (db m54385) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Millard E. Tydings1890 - 1961
This Building is Named in Memory of Millard E. Tydings 1890 - 1961 Distinguished Public Servant and Friend of Education Alumnus of the University Decorated Officer, World War I Speaker of the House of Delegates State Senator Member of the House . . . — Map (db m37315) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Morrill HallUniversity of Maryland
Built in 1898, Morrill Hall is named for Senator Justin Morrill who introduced legislation (in 1861) leading to the creation of a system of land grant colleges, of which the University of Maryland is a member. The building survived a devastating . . . — Map (db m21915) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — R. Lee Hornbake Library — Hornbake Plaza
Panel 1: R. Lee Hornbake Library Professor of Industrial Education 1947-1979 Dean of the Faculty 1957-1960 Vice President for Academic Affairs 1960–1979 Our American tradition of freedom and justice, of respect for . . . — Map (db m72027) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Site of Maryland's First State Tree Nursery, 1914-1950
In 1914, the University of Maryland, originally the Maryland Agricultural College, donated this land to establish the first state nursery. Fred W. Bosley, student of Gifford Pinchot (father of American Forestry), brought tree nursery science to . . . — Map (db m61020) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — The Rossborough Inn
Erected in 1798 in the infancy of the nation and a few years before the founding of the University of Maryland. The Rossborough Inn stands as one of the landmarks of the nation's and of the University's growth. This historic structure has been . . . — Map (db m66433) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — The Terrapin Memorial"Testudo" — McKeldin Library, University of Maryland
Gift of the Class of 1933. Official mascot of the University of Maryland at College Park Presented on Class Day, May 1933 Base presented by the 1933 Student Government Association and the 1933 Reveille Student Yearbook Aristide B. Cianfarani, . . . — Map (db m64887) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — University of Maryland Memorial Chapel
Erected as a memorial and dedicated October 12, 1952 to those University of Maryland men and women who gave their lives in the service of their country — Map (db m6622) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Welcome to the Luther Goldman Birding Trail
The Luther Goldman Birding Trail is dedicated to the memory of Luther Chase Goldman (1909 - 2005), a noted Prince Georges County Resident, field biologist, pioneer national wildlife refuge manager, renowned wildlife photographer, and nature tour . . . — Map (db m7870) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — A Valiant StandStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
After penetrating two lines of defense, the British rushed toward the third line. Commodore Joshua Barney and Captain Samuel Miller with 400 flotillamen, 114 U.S. Marines, and some militia made a stand with five big guns across Bladensburg . . . — Map (db m97386) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Abraham Lincoln
This statue of the Great Emancipator portrays in his last days the thin, tired, war-worn president in thoughtful and deep meditation and is considered one of the finest bronze statues ever made of President Lincoln. It was created by one of . . . — Map (db m17479) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Battle of Bladensburg
This is the site of the Battle of Bladensburg which took place in the War of 1812. Commodore Joshua Barney and his 500 Marines were greatly outnumbered by the British Expeditionary Force of 4,500 trained regulars. The battle raged for four hours but . . . — Map (db m70037) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Bladensburg Dueling GroundsBattle of Bladensburg — Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Throughout much of the nineteenth century, the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds were well-known as a place to settle differences. The site was a secluded location, close to taverns, and fell outside of Washington D.C.'s boundaries, where dueling . . . — Map (db m73130) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Clearing the Way to Washington
The Battle of Bladensburg on August 24, 1814, ended in defeat for the United States and allowed the British to invade Washington, D.C. Once the Americans realized the British route of advance, there was little time to prepare. They hastily . . . — Map (db m61550) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Crossroads of Trade and TravelBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Standing here, where the 120-foot long wooden bridge would have carried the road between Bladensburg and Washington D.C., a traveler in 1814 would have experienced all manner of travel in and out of the popular community. Established in the . . . — Map (db m75905) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Dueling Grounds
On this site, now part of Anacostia River Park, more than 50 duels were fought during the first half of the 19th century. Here, on what became known as "the dark and bloody grounds", gentleman of Washington settled their political and personal . . . — Map (db m3613) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Famous FootstepsBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
As the militia – local citizens—defended this road, then known as the Bladensburg or Washington turnpike, from approaching British troops in 1814, three historical figures stood in the thick of the battle at or near this point: . . . — Map (db m73241) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Fort Lincoln
These earthworks are a portion of the original fortifications which made up Fort Lincoln. This fort was built during the summer of 1861 to serve as an outer defense of the city of Washington. It was named in honor of President Lincoln by General . . . — Map (db m46714) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Historic Fort Lincoln Cemetery
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres. Here, at Fort Lincoln Cemetery, masterworks of marble, granite and bronze stand in solemn dignity and provides a tranquil . . . — Map (db m3614) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Marines & FlotillamenStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — Battle of Bladensburg
U.S. Marines, under Captain Samuel Miller, joined Commodore Joshua Barney’s flotillamen at the third line near here. Colonel William Thornton of the British Light Brigade led a charge and ran directly into the cannons under Barney’s command. A . . . — Map (db m97388) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Old Spring House
This venerable building dates back to the year 1683, when one of the early colonists built his home on the overlooking hillside. The spring still feeds cool water to the trough inside the spring house. This was the only method available in those . . . — Map (db m5070) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Second Line FallsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Second of three defensive lines blocking the British advance on Washington stretched along here. It was located on the first set of hills overlooking the river. The American militia was unprepared to face seasoned war veterans. Holding firm . . . — Map (db m69353) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Second Line FallsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Second of three defensive lines blocking the British advance on Washington stretched along here. It was located on the first set of hills overlooking the river. The American militia was unprepared to face seasoned war veterans. Holding firm . . . — Map (db m73131) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Storming the BridgeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
A wooden bridge just upriver became the focal point on August 24, 1814, when American and British forces clashed in the Battle of Bladensburg. The British approached from the east, clarifying their intent -- to invade Washington. The Americans . . . — Map (db m61108) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Lincoln Oak
This gnarled and ringed stump, attesting to its age, is all that remains of the majestic oak tree that once shaded the old Spring House. Steeped in history, it was put to rest by the forces of nature. Its passing will never be forgotten and its . . . — Map (db m5071) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m73190) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m75958) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m77080) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitolStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — Battle of Bladensburg
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg.

While the American militia were unable to hold back the British . . . — Map (db m97389) WM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — African-Americans at Mount Calvert
A Tobacco-based Ecomony For more than 200 years, slave-based tobacco plantations dominated the economy of Prince George's County. After the county seat moved from Mount Calvert to Upper Marlboro in 1721, Mount Calvert was the center of a large . . . — Map (db m68289) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Aviation HistoryColumbia Air Center
In 1941, aviation history was made when the first Black owned and operated airfield licensed in America opened on this site. Mr. John W. Greene, Jr., a pioneer in Black aviation, was instrumental in developing the airfield, originally called . . . — Map (db m6394) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — BellefieldsFormerly Sim's Delight
Built after 1720 by Dr. Patrick Sim, who fled Scotland after the 1715 Rebellion to settle in this country. He married Mary, daughter of Thomas and Barbara Dent Brooke of nearby Brookefield Manor. c. 1728. Colonel Joseph Sim, their oldest son, . . . — Map (db m69387) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Billingsley's Point
At Billingsley's Point, just north of Mount Calvert, archaeologists have recovered thousands of artifacts from both the American Indian and colonial periods. American Indian Legacy American Indians inhabited Billingsley for at least 8,000 . . . — Map (db m68290) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Blown to AtomsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
A series of explosions rocked the Patuxent on August 22, 1814. Commodore Joshua Barney’s armed barges had eluded the British until their escape ended in the shallows of the river. His orders were clear: destroy the flotilla to keep it from enemy . . . — Map (db m61398) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Charles Town
Near this place the first courthouse in Prince George's County was erected in 1698, which served as the center of county government until 1721, when the county seat was moved to Upper Marlborough. The village of Charles Town was built on a tract of . . . — Map (db m68085) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Chesapeake Beach Railway
A Day at the Beach In the late 1800s, the expansion of railroad and steamboat lines made it possible for middle-class Americans to being enjoying summer excursions. During the period of segregation, Calvert County's Chesapeake Beach was a . . . — Map (db m68292) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Croom
Christopher Rousby patented Croome in 1671. Home of Thomas John Claggett (1743-1816). First Episcopal Bishop of Maryland (1792), First Protestant Bishop consecrated in the United States, And first Chaplain of the US Senate. In August 1814 British . . . — Map (db m79930) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Enemy BluffStar-Spangled Banner Historic Trail
On August 22, 1814, American Brigadier General William Winder Spotted the enemy invasion force approaching this church, then called Page Chapel. The British marched west toward Bellefields, Woodyard, and Fort Washington, then doubled back . . . — Map (db m75349) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — First Americans at Mount Calvert
Melting Ice, Rising Seas American Indians arrived in this region at the end of the last Ice Age (12000-15000 years ago). As the earth warmed and the ice melted, sea levels rose dramatically. By 5,000 years ago, ancient lands and rivers once . . . — Map (db m68294) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Man and the RiverFootprints Along the Shore
The shores of the Patuxent River bear evidence of human habitation dating back more than 8,000 years. Along the River many tribes of Indians practiced primitive farming, pottery making, and hunting with bow and arrow. The New World colonists . . . — Map (db m6613) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary
The Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1970 here along the Patuxent River in Prince George's County. It is named for Edgar Merkle who owned a large part of the land and who originated a breeding plan to re-introduce gees to this part of . . . — Map (db m68082) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Mount Calvert Federal Period Plantation House
The house you see before you was the home of several plantation owners. John Brown built the Federal-style house in the 1780s. Later, John Brooks and Samuel Berry lived here with their families. Each owner left his imprint by making changes to the . . . — Map (db m68297) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park
A Confluence of Three Cultures Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park overlooks the confluence of the Patuxent River and the Western Branch. A series of interpretive panels, describes the archaeological and historical resources from . . . — Map (db m68298) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park
A Confluence of Three Cultures Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park overlooks the confluence of the Patuxent River and the Western Branch. A series of interpretive panels, describes the archaeological and historical resources from . . . — Map (db m68299) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Mount Calvert Manor
1000 Acres in Mount Calvert Hundred Patented 17 February 1658 to Philip Calvert, Esq. Youngest son of George, 1st Baron of Baltimore, who was granted a lordship with seignorial rights of a Court Baron with all Royalties and Privileges Most Usually . . . — Map (db m68300) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Mount Calvert, Early Town
Colonial Settlement It is hard to imagine, but Mount Calvert was once a busy port town of a frontier community. After the Colony of Maryland was created in 1634, colonists began seeking land grants along the Upper Patuxent River. In 1658 . . . — Map (db m68301) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — St. Simon's Episcopal Mission
One of three Episcopal congregations in southern Maryland created after the Civil War for African Americans. Founded ca. 1892 as a Sunday school by Rev. Francis P. Willes and his sisters. Later became a mission of the Episcopal Diocese of . . . — Map (db m3619) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — St. Simon's Mission, 1896St. Thomas' Episcopal Parish
Here met St. Simon's Mission for African-Americans 1902-1964. Begun 1896 by the Willes family, church building moved here in 1902. Land, once part of John Eversfield's estate Hackthorne Heath, purchased by Susan Willes from the Hooe family. Pauli . . . — Map (db m68478) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — St. Thomas' Parish Church
Side A Successor to the 17th century Anglican Church at Mount Calvert, this cruciform, brick church was authorized in 1732 and completed in 1745 during the rectorate of John Eversfield, 1728-1780. Built by Daniel Page it served as chapel of . . . — Map (db m3620) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The Blacksmith Shop
Blacksmithing is an ancient profession which began over six thousand years ago. It is the craft of forging and shaping iron with a hammer and anvil. The work of the blacksmith allowed for advances in transportation and industry by providing the . . . — Map (db m80576) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The Duckett Cabin
This hand hewn log cabin was built in Aquasco, Maryland around 1880 as a farm tenant house. This one up and one down design with one room and a loft was typically used for slave cabins during the early 1800s. By the late 1800s, it was the standard . . . — Map (db m6096) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The Nottingham Schoolhouse
One-room schoolhouses were common in small towns and rural areas during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. Children from all grad levels were taught in a single room. Eventually one-room schoolhouses disappeared leaving only a few examples like . . . — Map (db m68074) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The Sears House
It Came in the Mail! Sears Roebuck and Co. Mail order Homes. Simplex Sectional Cottages. The mail-order home in front of you was purchased by Mr. Lowe Steed from Sears, Roebuck and Company in 1923 for $400. It is a quaint, three room, no-bath . . . — Map (db m6327) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The Town of Nottingham
The 1608 records of Captain John Smith's exploration of the Chesapeake Bay and its rivers indicate that the town of Nottingham was located near the former site of an American Indian village called Wosameus. formerly known as Mattapany . . . — Map (db m68077) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The War of 1812
During the War of 1812, Nottingham served as the home port for the Chesapeake Flotilla, which consisted of 17 gun-boats under the command of Joshua Barney. In the summer of 1814, the British fleet landed at Benedict in Charles County, then camped in . . . — Map (db m68079) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — The War of 1812 and the Chesapeake Flotilla
British Attacks on the Patuxent During the War of 1812, the British entered the Chesapeake Bay and threatened towns, plantations, and the cities of Washington and Baltimore. To counter this threat, Congress ordered the creation of the . . . — Map (db m68302) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Woodland Indians
Woodland Indians on the Patuxent American Indians established rear-round settlements along the Patuxent River 3,000 years ago during the Woodland Period (1000 BC-1600 AD). At first, their villages were small and scattered. Over time, large . . . — Map (db m68303) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), District Heights — Ridgeley Rosenwald School
The Ridgeley School was opened in 1927 as Colored School No.1 in Election District 13 in the African American community known as Ridgeley*. Named for a prominent local African American family, the Ridgeley School along with a church and society . . . — Map (db m91958) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), District Heights — Tragedy Strikes Trooper 2
Panel 1: On September 27th, 2008, Maryland State Police Medevac Helicopter Trooper 2 responded to Waldorf, Maryland to assist the Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department with a serious motor vehicle crash. Working alongside first responders, . . . — Map (db m91033) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Edmonston — Adam F. Plummer1819-1905
Adam Francis Plummer Founder of Present Day Edmonston Born into slavery to the powerful Calvert Family, literate and educated Adam Francis Plummer rose to become the foreman for Charles Benedict Calvert (founder of the University of Maryland and . . . — Map (db m68092) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Edmonston — Edmonston Veterans Park
This park is dedicated to the men and women of the armed forces who have served our nation with heartfelt thanks from the residents of Edmonston, MD. [Logo]: Edmonston, Maryland, est. 1924. — Map (db m68109) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Edmonston — The Remarkable Plummer FamilyFrom Riversdale to Mount Rose — Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
Near this spot at Ingraham Street and 46th Avenue in the town of Edmonston, Adam Francis Plummer a former slave at Riversdale, moved his family to the house he built, Mount Rose, in 1870. The ten acre property adjoining Riversdale became a family . . . — Map (db m68108) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmont Heights — In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II
[The four plaques containing the text of this marker are missing] Map (db m8272) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — “Coach” James W. Crawford1938 - 1992 — In Memoriam
Friendly’s first football coach 1971-1991. His teams won three Md. State championships and compiled a record of 166-46-1. Crawford was a “man for all seasons.” Erected in gratitude by the Class of 1993 and Redskin Robert Green ’88. — Map (db m14791) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — “Warburton Manor”Patented 1661
Home of the Digges Family (descendants of Edward Digges, governor of Virginia, 1652–1668). The most intimate friend of George and Martha Washington in Prince George’s County, where they visited many times. Washington spent his forty-third . . . — Map (db m3663) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — 15-inch Rodman Smoothbore
Among the largest cannon used in the Civil War Monumental in size, these two immense guns remain as sentinels ready to repel an attack on the Nation's capital. With their extended range and commanding location above the river, they were the key . . . — Map (db m7636) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Battery Decatur and Disappearing Guns
American coastal defenses were modernized from the 1890s to 1910 with the development of the Endicott System. Emphasis in military tactics shifted the masonry fortifications to more effective weapons based on rifled steel guns, improved . . . — Map (db m7955) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Capital GuardianFort Washington
Building the Second Fort On September 8, 1814, only 12 days after the destruction of Fort Warburton, Pierre L'Enfant was commissioned by the Government to reestablish a fortification here. Work began that October but increasing friction between . . . — Map (db m7963) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Capital GuardianThe First Fort
Troubles with Britain caused Congress in 1807 to authorize an improved system of forts along the Atlantic Coast to guard harbors, rivers, and seaports. The first fort, Fort Warburton, was completed in 1809. Located near the river in front of the . . . — Map (db m7980) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Capital GuardianThe Endicott System
Coastal fortifications moved into the 20th century with the development of the Endicott System. At Fort Washington, eight reinforced concrete batteries were constructed near the old fort to mount modern artillery. Many support buildings were erected . . . — Map (db m46176) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Caponiere
During the 1840s improvements were made to this wall, defensively the weakest part of the fort. The parapet was raised and an outer work, called a caponiere, was added. The protected passageway on your left will lead you to the outerwork that . . . — Map (db m8075) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Counterscarp Battery
Along the outer wall of the ditch you see the counterscarp battery, named for its location on the "counterscarp," or outer wall, of the dry ditch. This structure sheltered troops who could direct musketry toward the river or into the ditch itself. . . . — Map (db m8068) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Firepower on the PotomacFort Washington Park
(Left Panel): Three pair of these large 10-inch caliber disappearing guns were the key feature of the 1890s river defense system. Each weapon could direct its 650-pound projectile at enemy ships within a seven-mile range. Battery Humphries is . . . — Map (db m8083) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Fort FooteProtecting the Nation’s Capital
High on a bluff, a hundred feet above the Potomac River, twelve heavy guns commanded the approach to the city. Smaller cannon were placed to protect Fort Foote from landward attack. Numerous buildings were constructed to house and support the large . . . — Map (db m41414) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Fort FooteCivil War Defenses of Washington — 1861-1865
Follow this path to the earthworks of Forte Foote. Fort Foot was named after Flag Officer Andrew Hull Foote, a Union naval hero mortally wounded at Fort Donelson, Tennessee, on February 14, 1862. — Map (db m68659) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Fort Washington Park
Fort Washington Park is the site of the first permanent fort constructed between 1814-1824 to guard the Potomac River approach to our Nation's Capital. Today the park offers many recreational opportunities and programs. Explore the historic sites . . . — Map (db m4554) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — King's Depression Carriage
Capt. Rufus King, Jr. devised a counterweight system and front-pintle mount that would allow the 49,000 pdr. Rodman Gun to depress during loading. Except for the brief periods of exposure to enemy fire during the aiming and firing of the gun, the . . . — Map (db m7625) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Main Gateway
Two sets of gates protected the main entrance, or sally port. During the improvements made in the 1840s the drawbridge was added to make the approach to the gates more difficult. The drawbridge, operated by a unique system of iron counterweights . . . — Map (db m7982) HM

365 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 165
Paid Advertisement