Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pulaski County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Christian-Cloyd Chimney image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, April 2, 2011
Christian-Cloyd Chimney
Virginia (Pulaski County), Dublin — "Dunkard's Bottom"
This tablet commemorates the first white settlement west of New River, made in 1745 near here by "Dunkers". In 1756 they built a fort for protection against Indians. In 1771 Col. William Christian built a home on this site. The stones in this . . . — Map (db m41457) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Dublin — K-38 — Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain
In April 1864 Grant ordered Brig. Gen. George Crook to cut the Virginia & Tennessee RR in Southwest Virginia. Near Cloyd’s Mountain, five miles north of Dublin, on 9 May Crook battled Confederate defenders commanded by Brig. Gen. Albert G. Jenkins. . . . — Map (db m41409) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Dublin — KE-5 — Battle of Cloyd's Mountain
Just to the west took place the Battle of Cloyd's Mountain, May 9, 1864. The Union General Crook, raiding to destroy the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad (N.&W.), met and repulsed General A. G. Jenkins, who was mortally wounded. — Map (db m41410) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Dublin — Christian-Cloyd Chimney
This chimney, formerly to the home of William Christian, brother-in-law to Patrick Henry & frontier militia commander, was built about 1772 a mile down stream at a site now submerged by Claytor Lake. In 1808 it became the home of Thomas Cloyd from . . . — Map (db m41455) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Dublin — Colonel William Christian
This chimney marks the site of the home of Colonel William Christian Christiansburg, Va., was named for this Revolutionary War leader and Virginia patriot Chairman of the Fincastle Resolutions Committee and brother-in-law of . . . — Map (db m41454) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Dublin — K-284 — New River Ordnance Plant
Just south of here stood the New River Ordnance Plant, or Dublin Bagging Plant, a World War II facility established primarily for the bagging of propellant used for firing artillery shells. Construction of the plant, designed and operated by the . . . — Map (db m126020) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Fairlawn — Z-261 — Montgomery County / Pulaski CountyArea 401 Square Miles / Area 333 Square Miles
Montgomery County. Formed in 1776 from Fincastle, and named for General Richard Montgomery, killed at Quebec, 1775. The Virginia Polytechnic Institute is in this county. Pulaski County. Formed in 1839 from Wythe and Montgomery, and . . . — Map (db m50619) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Fairlawn — K-44 — Roads West
During the 1770s, Samuel Pepper established a ferry crossing nearby which opened a transportation, route during the late colonial and early national periods linking the resources of the West with the population centers in the East. A century . . . — Map (db m86261) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Newbern — First Court House
Erected 1964 On this corner stood the first courthouse of Pulaski County 1839-1893 To the back still stands the old county jail — Map (db m104646) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Newbern — Water Works — 1870
The original reservoir of the first Newbern water works 1870 Restored in 1965 by the Newbern community improvement club Above is a sample of the 1000 feet of original pipe line, which is still in use. — Map (db m104647) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — Confederate Soldiers Memorial
In memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Pulaski County 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m24133) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — K-40 — Draper's Valley
John Draper's wife, Bettie Robertson Draper, was captured by Shawnee at Draper's Meadow (Blacksburg) in 1755. Mrs. Draper was carried into the Ohio country along with her sister-in-law Mary Draper Ingles and five others. Six years later John Draper . . . — Map (db m23927) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — Lest We ForgetPOW - MIAs Of All Wars
O Lord who guides the stars and yet dost stoop to heal the broken heart. Thou, for whom no distance lies of time or space, shield all thy sons and daughters whom men call missing but whose place and circumstance are wholly known to thee. If they be . . . — Map (db m41482) WM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — K-41 — Pulaski
The town sprang up at the coming of the railroad and was first known as Martin's Tank. Governor John Floyd lived near by. The county seat was moved here from Newbern in 1894. The town, like the county, was named for Count Casimir Pulaski, killed in . . . — Map (db m23914) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — Pulaski County Courthouse
This native stone arch, built in 1907, was used as an entrance to the Pulaski County exhibit at the 1607-1907 Jamestown Exposition. When returned to Pulaski, it was erected here as a permanent entrance to the Pulaski County Courthouse, . . . — Map (db m41480) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — Pulaski County War Memorial
Dedicated to those who gave the last full measure and to those who marched beside them. — Map (db m41481) WM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Pulaski — World War I Memorial1914 - 1918
[North and South Faces)]: This memorial is dedicated to the honor and glory of all Pulaski County citizens who served our Country during World War I [East Face] Town of Pulaski Founded 1886 Jackson Park — Map (db m24132) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K-29 — First Settlement
About five miles southwest is Dunkard Bottom, where Dr. Thomas Walker found a settlement in 1750. The fort there was built about 1756 and was the first fort in Virginia west of New River. The first store and first mill were also there. — Map (db m23909) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — Z-80 — Montgomery County / Pulaski County
(Obverse) Montgomery County Area 401 square miles Formed in 1776 from Fincastle, and named for General Richard Montgomery, killed at Quebec, 1775. The Virginia Polytechnic Institute is in this county. (Reverse) Pulaski . . . — Map (db m41416) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K-45 — Page’s Meeting House
One mile to the north stood this Methodist Chapel, an early one in the New River area. It was built on land given in 1795 by Alexander Page. Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the chapel in 1802 and again in 1806. — Map (db m23906) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K-25 — The New River
Not “new” at all, the New River, the second oldest in the world, is more than 320 million years old. Only the Nile is older. The river received its original English name, Wood's River, perhaps from Colonel Abraham Wood who explored the . . . — Map (db m41417) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.