Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Putnam County Florida Historical Markers

 
Asa Philip Randolph Marker image, Touch for more information
By Angela Sanchez Tischler, April 27, 2007
Asa Philip Randolph Marker
Florida (Putnam County), Crescent City — F-564 — Asa Philip Randolph
Civic Rights Activist, Trade Union Leader, Crusader for Justice 1889–1979 “Salvation for a race, nation or class must come from within. Freedom is never granted; it is won. Justice is never given; it is exacted.” Asa Philip . . . — Map (db m5514) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Crescent City — Florida's First Bicentennial Park
Dedicated August 25, 1973 in honor of Thomas A. Dexter Crescent City Commission Bobby L. Wiltcher-Mayor Commissioners Jimmy Miller Dudley Sargent Jack Deacon Jerry Ellis — Map (db m102426) HM
Florida (Putnam County), East Palatka — F-7 — Rollestown
Site of the colony of Denys Rolle, English philanthropist. The settlement, composed of 200 indentured servants from the streets of London, was founded in 1767. It did not prosper and the settlers scattered. Negro slaves were imported to tend cattle, . . . — Map (db m56656) HM
Florida (Putnam County), East Palatka — William Bartram Trail — Deep South Region — Traced 1773 - 1777
William Bartram, botanist, artist, naturalist, explored St. Johns River area while headquartered near this site in 1774. Erected by Palatka Daily News in cooperation with Garden Club of Palatka, Tillandsia Wildflower Club and Florida Federation . . . — Map (db m56639) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Edgar — F-736 — The Edgar Post Office
During the 1870s, Scotsman Charles S. Edgar mined kaolin clay deposits for the Edgar Brothers Clay Company of Metuchen, New Jersey. This clay was used to make heat- resistant bricks and hearth tiles. As the company expanded, Edgar began searching . . . — Map (db m100893) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Interlachen — F-844 — Lincoln Lane Schoolhouse
The Lincoln Lane school is a historic reminder of segregation in Putnam County. Built in 1938 at a cost "not to exceed $600," the one-room schoolhouse served African American children from grades 1 through 6. Compared with white schools operating in . . . — Map (db m93081) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — F-678 — Melrose Cemetery
Formerly known as the "Banana burying grounds," the Melrose non-denominational cemetery was established in 1860 by the Eliam Baptist Church, founded in 1859. The farming community of Banana consisted of small farms, a post office / general store and . . . — Map (db m101755) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — F-894 — Melrose High School
Established to educate children of west Putnam County and surrounding communities, Melrose High School began in 1882 as a wooden building on Wynwood Street. In 1927, the school moved to this location when Putnam County constructed a new wooden . . . — Map (db m101754) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — Melrose Veterans Memorial
In Memory And Honor Of All Those Who Served The United States Of America In Times Of War And Peace — Map (db m108430) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — F-272 — Melrose Woman's Club
Since its beginning as the Literary and Debating Society in 1890, the Melrose Woman's Club has been a major contributor to community development. The formation of the Improvement Society for Melrose in 1891 was one of its first accomplishments. The . . . — Map (db m101760) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Basil C. Pearce Jr. USS Tang Memorial
First marker: Basil C. Pearce, Jr. USS Tang Memorial Dedicated by Richard H. O'Kane, Skipper August 17, 1943 - October 25, 1944 Elton Brubaker, USS Flier (SS250) Aug. 13, 1944 Constructed by Basil Pearce Chapter U.S. . . . — Map (db m77715) HM WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Battle At Horse Landing
At this site, on May 23rd, 1864, Captain John Jackson Dickison, with men from the 2nd Florida Cavalry and a battery from the Milton Light Artillery, disabled and captured the Federal gunboat, Columbine. At the time, Union forces controlled the land . . . — Map (db m101762) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-828 — Bronson-Mulholland House
The Bronson-Mulholland house was constructed for Isaac H. Bronson around 1853. A lawyer and United States congressman from New York, Bronson served as a member of the Committee on Territories in the late 1830s. He proposed the act for Florida . . . — Map (db m80742) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — City of Palatka Florida 9/11 Memorial
We will never forget September 11, 2001 — Map (db m78033) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-123 — Cross Florida Barge Canal Memorial
President Lyndon B. Johnson Dedicated the Start of Construction of the 185-Mile Long Canal at this Site on February 27, 1964 — Map (db m101763) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-51 — Fort Shannon
Established in May, 1838, this fort was one of the major quartermaster depots in Florida during the Second Seminole War. It operated under Gen. William J. Worth until he assumed command of the armies in Florida. Military facilities included a . . . — Map (db m94991) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Hotel James — “Historical & Architectural Treasure”
The Hotel James (aka James Hotel) was designed by Henry John Klutho, a nationally known architect of the Prairie School style from Jacksonville, Florida. Mr. Klutho designed two other buildings in Palatka. The recently restored Larimer Arts Center . . . — Map (db m113476) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Lt. J.K. (Kay) Larkin Memorial
Aug. 17, 1920 - June 8, 1942 In memory of Lt. J.K. (Kay) Larkin US Army Air Corps Putnam County's first casualty of WWII — Map (db m78034) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County Confederate Memorial
(front) "1861-Our Confederate heroes-1865" Although the flag they died to save floats not over any land or sea throughout eternal years shall wave the banner of their chivalry. (right) The principles for which they . . . — Map (db m78111) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County High School Band WWII Memorial
1941 1945 In memoriam Members of the Putnam County High School Band who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II James Bryant Solana, Jr. Elton Stanley Brubaker — Map (db m77941) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County Korean War Memorial
1950 1955 Erected to perpetuate the honored memory of these citizens Putnam County, Fla. who gave their lives in the Korean Conflict Pleze Anderson • Thomas L. Bell • Walter W. Downing • Connie W. Jones • Henry R. McGauley . . . — Map (db m78110) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County Persian Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm) Memorial
1990 — 1991 In appreciation and memory of all military service personnel from Putnam County, Florida for bravery and service to our country during the Persian Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm) Erected and dedicated by the . . . — Map (db m78109) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County Viet Nam Memorial
1964 1975 Erected to perpetuate the honored memory of these citizens Putnam County, Fla. who gave their lives in the Viet Nam conflict David E. Burney • Henry A. Deutsch • Walter Ellis • John L. Fortner • Edward B. Fulgham, . . . — Map (db m78108) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County WW I Memorial
1917 1919 Erected to perpetuate the honored memory of these citizens of Putnam County, Fla. who gave their lives in the World War Edward Abraham • Frederick E. Bailey • Edgar M. Baker • Burroughs Blackman • John Caine • Lucius . . . — Map (db m78138) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Putnam County WW II Memorial
1941 1945 Erected to perpetuate the honored memory of these citizens of Putnam County, Fla. who gave their lives in the World War II Thomas Archie Jr. • Amos J. Barber • William J. Barker • Phillip C. Bersch • Andrew B. . . . — Map (db m78139) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-84 — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Episcopal services in Palatka were first conducted in 1846 by the Rev. John F. Young, later Bishop of Florida (18767-1885). The parish was organized in 1853, and the church completed in 1854. During the Civil War, St. Mark's was used as a . . . — Map (db m77732) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — The Spirit of the American Doughboy
Palatka Memorial Bridge Visualized in 1921 at an estimated cost of $375,000, the Memorial Bridge spanning the St. John’s River was completed six years later. The bridge was considered at that time to represent the highest type of modern . . . — Map (db m78142) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Veterans Memorial Plaza
This memorial is raised not for the cause of war, nor for the prizes of victory: rather, it is dedicated in honor of the men who fought and died for freedom. While war is abhorrent to all civilized men, conflict is often necessary for the . . . — Map (db m77942) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
William Bartram, botanist, artist, naturalist, humanist, explored this area and headquartered near here in 1774. — Map (db m3248) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Woodmen of the World Vietnam Memorial
Erected in honor of all Vietnam veterans who patriotically and unselfishly served our country in defense of freedom. Their service to country, loyalty to mankind, dedication to liberty and personal sacrifices are an inspiration to all . . . — Map (db m77716) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Welaka — Mount Royal
Panel 1: Mount Royal Mount Royal is an ancient American Indian site that includes the burial mound beyond this display, as well a the remains of a Spanish mission and associated village. The mound was built around 1,000 years ago by . . . — Map (db m93077) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Welaka — F-411 — The Mount Royal Site
Mount Royal has been a favored location for people to live for thousands of years. Archaeological sites include a Native American burial mound, earthworks, village area, and evidence of a British plantation, as well as the remains of a Spanish . . . — Map (db m60469) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Welaka — F-299 — The Mount Royal Site
Indians constructed the mound and earthworks of this site between A.D. 1250 and 1500. They built the mound as a place to bury their dead, and it grew in phases. When Clarence B. Moore excavated portions of the mound in the 1890s, he discovered . . . — Map (db m93075) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.