This house was built in 1925 as a joint project of a real estate development firm and the local evening newspaper. The Tudor revival style red brick dwelling has a steeply pitched cross gabled roof, massive chimney, low walled terrace and . . . — — Map (db m91540) HM
Land for this cemetery was given by T. B. and Hattie M. Clisbee in 1891, although a number of burials had already taken place by that time. The earliest known burial, that of Lillian Morrow, occurred in 1888. According to local legend, she was a . . . — — Map (db m91538) HM
Terry Thompson (1879-1948) began his career as an Amarillo businessman. He wed Georgie Sneed (1879-1972), daughter of prominent cattleman Joe Sneed, in 1908. He soon established Thompson Ranch in Moore County and also succeeded in real estate . . . — — Map (db m91541) HM
First city newspaper, the “Echo,” was printed 1889. The “Stayer” (1896), later renamed “Randall County News,” was predecessor of the “News.”
Clyde W. Warwick, editor 45 years, 1910-1955. Won . . . — — Map (db m117796) HM
A unique community venture at West Texas State Teachers College during the Great Depression produced an architectural landmark. The project began in 1933 and used student labor, community donations, and state and federal funding. Limestone, . . . — — Map (db m91476) HM
Charles Richard Burrow moved to Canyon city in 1899 to work for Eagle Hardware, and by 1919 he was able to buy the business and rename it Burrow Lumber Company. Burrow remained an active business and civic leader until his death in 1959. He served . . . — — Map (db m55998) HM
Prior to 1909, volunteers used buckets and homemade ladders to fight fires in Canyon and the surrounding area. The city addressed the need for fire protection by organizing a department and choosing 21 men for duty. The city also obtained a . . . — — Map (db m91395) HM
Site surveyed Christmas Day, 1887, by L. G. Conner, who also donated land for numerous civic improvements. Named for the colorful Palo Duro Canyon, 12 miles east.
Despite a harsh environment characterized by snow, sandstorms, and grasshopper . . . — — Map (db m91427) HM
Celebrated annually in Canyon 1900-1910, these reunions were a focal point of social life.
Each summer several thousand people arrived by horseback, train, buckboard, and covered wagon. Here they pitched tents and built fires to cook meals.
. . . — — Map (db m91355) HM
Iowa natives Grace Winkleman (1890-1973) and Clyde Warwick (1885-1957) came to Canyon City in 1908 and 1910, respectively, marrying in 1911. Clyde was editor of The Canyon News for 45 years, receiving state and national awards. He was also . . . — — Map (db m117795) HM
The 36th Division of the U.S. Army served with distinction in World War II. When mobilized, Company F of the Division's 142nd Infantry consisted primarily of Randall County soldiers, including ten sets of brothers, as well as a father and son. The . . . — — Map (db m55973) HM
The decade after 1865 was a time of transition for the U.S. Many citizens moved west, coming into conflict with Native American tribes living on the Great Plains. Settlers demanded the U.S. Army provide their protection. The Army responded by . . . — — Map (db m91490) HM
Originally named Canyon City Cemetery, this burial ground has served the nearby community since early in Canyon's history. In 1891, S.W. Kelley deeded property to Randall County for cemetery use. That same year, the first burials occurred, for . . . — — Map (db m91354) HM
Organized Dec. 21, 1890, with seven charter members: Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Conner, a Mr. and Mrs. Ingram, Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Pirtle, Mrs. F.M. Pope. First pastor was The Rev. Whatley. Congregation built Canyon's first church edifice, 1899. Present . . . — — Map (db m55977) HM
Earliest religious service in Canyon was in 1889. Leaders were the Revs. Jerome Harelson and Isaac Mills, of Panhandle District, Methodist Church. The Rev. B.F. Jackson organized this (city's first) church in Oct. 1889. Members: Mrs. Crain, Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m55975) HM
Organized Jan. 5, 1900, by L.T. Lester, S.F. Sullenberger, and 19 others. First bank in region immediately south of Amarillo. Was vital factor in developing city and county. Was involved continuously with civic programs. Lester served as chairman of . . . — — Map (db m55974) HM
In 1900, two years after the Santa Fe Railway extended its tracks from Amarillo to Canyon City, rancher and banker L.T. Lester established the Stockman's National bank; it became First National Bank of Canyon City in 1904. Lester commissioned St. . . . — — Map (db m55986) HM
Renowned artist Georgia Totto O'Keeffe (1887-1986) was born in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin to Francis and Ida (Totto) O'Keeffe. The family moved to Virginia, where O'Keeffe and her siblings attended school. She studied art at various schools before . . . — — Map (db m91475) HM
May 27, 1978
On this day, water from the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River
rose to the level indicated by the red line at this location.
For more information, contact:
National Weather Service Amarillo, TX . . . — — Map (db m117823) HM
Built 1904; mantel pieces for 4 fireplaces, 2 marble lavatories bought in Kansas City, Mo. Site of political, social, church gatherings.
Lester—buffalo hunter and cattleman—settled here, 1889; opened first bank, 1900. Active in . . . — — Map (db m56008) HM
Built in 1909 by Thomas P. Turk, this home was originally located at 402 Palo Duro Street. After the establishment of West Texas State University in 1910, it was moved here to serve as a residence for faculty and students. Mary E. Hudspeth . . . — — Map (db m55976) HM
Constructed in 1926 for Canyon's growing Presbyterian congregation, this church building is a fine example of classical revival architecture. After serving the Presbyterians for 48 years, it was purchased by the First United Pentecostal Church in . . . — — Map (db m55996) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar
Created, August 21, 1876
Organized, July 27, 1889
Named in honor of
A distinguished Confederate
officer who fell in battle at the
head of his brigade
Canyon, . . . — — Map (db m55978) HM
Created 1876; named for Confederate General Horace Randall. Settled 1877 by rancher Leigh Dyer, brother-in-law of Charles Goodnight, man who brought first cattle to Panhandle. Organized in 1889. County seat: Canyon, home of West Texas State . . . — — Map (db m91489) HM
Second for county created 1876, organized 1889. First, a frame house, was site first school in county. On its tin roof cowboys held dances. This building was erected in 1909, on eve of opening of West Texas State University.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m91392) HM
To those who offered their lives
in humanity's defense
in the War of the Nation
and in memory of those
of Randall County
who gave their last full measure
Archie Key Clifford Dooley Willie A. Floyd Randall Moreland . . . — — Map (db m55985) HM WM
Travis Shaw (1875-1946) was a local banker and civic leader who later served as secretary and business manager of West Texas State Normal College. He commissioned the Dallas firm of Lang and Witchell to design a one-story Craftsman style brick . . . — — Map (db m55997) HM
In the latter 1880's, when fencing was needed in the treeless Texas Panhandle, the solution proved to be barbed wire. Joseph F. Glidden of Illinois devised and by 1876 was manufacturing (with I.L. Ellwood) the first really practical barbed wire on . . . — — Map (db m55972) HM
First home in Canyon, a half-dugout, with windows at ground level. Built on survey located Christmas Day, 1887, by L. G. Conner. Location of Canyon's first post office; birthplace of Mamie Conner, first white child born in county. 1889 election to . . . — — Map (db m91384) HM
Ranchman's headquarters in town; slept in bedroll in his wagon or in room above the office. Cooked over campfire in yard.
Overnight charges: 10 ¢ a horse; 50 ¢ a man. Feed and coal were sold, water was free. Hands were hired, horses doctored . . . — — Map (db m91394) HM
German Americans from near Wisner, Nebraska, including Gustav Leseberg, Henry Meyer, and brothers John E., G. Henry and Ernest F. Albers, settled here in the 1900s. They were later joined by immigrants from around Bremen, Germany, and by 1909 the . . . — — Map (db m91492) HM
In fall 1877, Leigh and Walter Dyer and Samuel Coleman drove about 400 cattle to Spring Draw and built a two-room log cabin. The firm of Gunter, Munson & Summerfield bought their claim, and in 1880-81, cowboys built line camps and corrals and fenced . . . — — Map (db m91491) HM
Built by Leigh R. Dyer, 1877, of logs cut from Palo Duro Canyon. Oldest surviving house in Texas Panhandle.
Dyer did first Panhandle farming. Sold 1878, to Gunter, Summerfield and Munson. Became center of area ranching and development. . . . — — Map (db m91474) HM
The 47-foot, seven-ton cowboy statue, known as Tex Randall, is considered a Texas icon. Designer and builder Harry Wheeler created the cowboy in 1959 as a roadside phenomenon to welcome travelers to his corral curio shop on U.S. Highway 60 West to . . . — — Map (db m91429) HM
One of the most significant battles of 1874-75 Indian campaign; columns of troops converging from five directions harassed Indians on the Panhandle Plains for over six months.
The 4th Cavalry under Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie, moving north from Fort . . . — — Map (db m91528) HM
The highway from this museum to the Palo Duro State Park (12 miles east) approximates course used by Charles Goodnight, outstanding Texas cowman and trail blazer, when he trailed 1600 cattle from Colorado to found first ranch on the . . . — — Map (db m91473) HM
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a New Deal program developed under the administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt to provide jobs to the unemployed during the great depression of the 1930s. The program was initially designed to . . . — — Map (db m91527) HM
Canyon city Episcopalians began holding worship services in 1910. By 1928, plans were drawn for construction of a student center to meet the needs of a growing church congregation and student population at West Texas Normal College. Opened the next . . . — — Map (db m91396) HM
In 1876, veteran Texas cattleman, Charles Goodnight entered Palo Duro Canyon by way of an old Comanche Indian trail near here, to establish the first ranch in this area.
In 1877, Goodnight in partnership with Englishman John Adair moved farther . . . — — Map (db m91525) HM
J. Frank Smith constructed this commercial building in 1906, the year Canyon was incorporated as a town. Elected to the first city board of alderman, Smith operated a land company on the second floor. The ground floor was initially occupied by the . . . — — Map (db m55987) HM
In 1895, Civil War Veteran and farmer S.G. Umbarger established a wagon yard and sheds for travelers passing through this area. The area became known as Umbarger when the Pecos Valley Railroad, built in 1898, named a rail switch after him. By 1902, . . . — — Map (db m56009) HM
Native Texan, Civil War veteran (1861-65); settled here in 1887. Was first to farm area successfully.
Was elected first clerk when county organized 1889. Also, helped organize first Sunday School, 1890. Married Susan Roberts, September 1897.
. . . — — Map (db m91385) HM