Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Rankin County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
View from marker east towards the Gulde Cemetery and U.S. Highway 80. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 3, 2017
View from marker east towards the Gulde Cemetery and U.S. Highway 80.
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Centenary College — (1841-45)
Original site 2 mi. NW. Methodist College, opened Nov. 1, 1841, with the Rev. T.C. Thornton as president, followed by the Hon. D.O. Shattuck. Removed to Jackson, La. as Centenary College of La., 1845. — Map (db m111009) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Old Brandon Cemetery
Established in the early 1830s, the old Brandon cemetery contains more than 1,000 graves, including two Mississippi governors, Robert Lowry (1881-1889) and Anselm McLaurin (1896-1900). Also buried here is postmaster and surveyor Thomas Shaw, . . . — Map (db m50906) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Rankin County Confederate Monument
East face To those who wore the grey, “In legend and lay our heroes in grey, shall forever live over again for us.” “The epitaph of the soldier who falls with his country, is written in the hearts of those who love . . . — Map (db m111507) WM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Rankin County Courthouses
In 1829, Daniel and Mary Fore deeded forty acres for the county seat in Brandon. A two-story, frame structure was built in 1833. This and other buildings were used until 1853, when a new courthouse was built here. After it burned in 1924, the . . . — Map (db m111007) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Rankin County War Memorial
Freedom Is Not Free In memory of the gallant heroes from Rankin County who gave their lives that we may enjoy the blessings of liberty Far left panel World War I E. Hoy Barksdale, 1Lt USA

S. L. . . . — Map (db m111512) WM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Seminary Square
When Brandon was organized in 1828, part of the town, known as "Seminary Square," was set aside for educational purposes. The first school established here was in 1829. The Brandon Male and Female Academy, later named Brandon Female College, was on . . . — Map (db m50872) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Town Square
Incorporated in 1831, Brandon was named Gov. Gerard C. Brandon. The town was laid out around a public square, known as the "famous campground" by early settlers. The town plat was surveyed by Thomas S. Shaw. Erected in 1907, the Confederate monument . . . — Map (db m111005) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Flowood — 92 — The Gold Coast: Cross the River
~Front side~ This area of Rankin County, formerly called East Jackson and later the Gold Coast, was a hotbed for gambling, bootleg liquor, and live music for several decades up through the 1960s. Blues, jazz, and soul performers, including . . . — Map (db m81859) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Pearl — Pearl Methodist Church
In 1909, James Campbell, a student pastor, organized a new church in the Pearson Community. Services were held in the Pearson School until 1921, at which time the congregation moved to this site. An abandoned church building was moved here, and the . . . — Map (db m111004) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Pelahatchie — 61 — Rubin Lacy
Front Rubin Lacy was one of the most talented and influential artists in Mississippi blues during his short career as a secular performer. The grandson of a minister, Lacy was born in Pelahatchie on January 2, 1901. He was a well-known . . . — Map (db m111013) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Piney Woods — Martha Louise Morrow Foxx
Born in North Carolina, Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (1902-1985), was educated at the North Carolina School for the Blind and the Overbrook School for the Blind in Philadelphia. After the Mississippi State Commission for the Blind was created in 1928, . . . — Map (db m50896) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Piney Woods — 47 — Piney Woods School
The musical programs of the Piney Woods School have produced many fine artists over the decades, including bluesman Sam Myers, who sang in vocal groups while attending a school for the blind located here. The International Sweethearts of Rhythm, a . . . — Map (db m50905) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Piney Woods — The Piney Woods School
Founded in 1909, by Dr. Laurence Clifton Jones, who came to Mississippi to further the education of the African American community. The Piney Woods School wonce housed the Mississippi Colored School for the Blind. Dr. Jones presided over the school . . . — Map (db m50904) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Star — 30 — Faith Hill
(side 1) From the time of her childhood here in Star, Faith Hill demonstrated a zest for music and performing that took her to Nashville while still a teenager, and to stardom from the release of her first record in 1993. She became a . . . — Map (db m91738) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.