Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Regional Municipality of Niagara Ontario Historical Markers

239 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 39
 
The Old Welland Canal Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
The Old Welland Canal Marker
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Allanburg — The Old Welland Canal
Originally conceived in 1818 by its promoter, William Hamilton Merritt, to divert trade from the Erie Canal and New York and built under private auspices, the canal was opened to traffic in 1829. After additional work in 1833, the canal with its 40 . . . — Map (db m75850) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Battle of Chippawa
[Text on the West Side]: Battle of Chippawa 5 July 1814 In memory of all those who fought on this ground, many of whom are buried nearby, and to commemorate the peace that has prevailed between Canada and the . . . — Map (db m49393) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 1Background to a Battle
On these fields and the surrounding woods 4,000 American, British, Canadian and Native forces fought the first major battle of the Niagara campaign of 1814. When the last shots died away on Samuel Street's farm, more than 800 lay dead and wounded. . . . — Map (db m49398) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 2Opening Strikes — July 5, 1814 3:00 p.m. —
At dawn 5 July 1814, parties of Canadian-Militia and British allied Native Warriors scouted the American camp. They began sniping from the bushes on the north side of Street's Creek and this continued throughout the morning. Around noon, General . . . — Map (db m49399) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 3Advance to Contact — July 5, 1814 3:30 p.m. —
Major General Phineas Riall, the British commander, had repaired the bridge over the Chippawa and ordered his own Regular light infantry, the local Canadians of the 2nd Lincoln Militia and a force of Native Warriors, to clear out the now scattered . . . — Map (db m49400) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 4Battle on the Plain — July 5, 1814 4:30 p.m. —
British General Riall was convinced that the greater part of Brown's army was still surrounding Fort Erie. He did not know the Fort had surrendered and he was facing the entire U.S. division. Still, the number of men deployed on both sides was . . . — Map (db m49402) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 5Final Stages — July 5, 1814 5:30 p.m. —
As the battle raged, more American artillery deployed to the middle of the plain between the 11th U.S. and the lone 25th U.S. company, less than 100 meters (109 yards) from the British line. General Brown then led Ripley's brigade across Street's . . . — Map (db m49403) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Chippawa Battlefield Panel 6The Aftermath
The Aftermath. In the days following the battle, General Brown's victorious troops advanced another 25 kilometers (18 miles) north to Fort George before retiring back to Niagara Falls when more British troops arrived in the area. They met the . . . — Map (db m49404) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Church of the Holy Trinity
A frame church was built here following the arrival in 1820 of an Anglican missionary, the Reverend William Leeming. It was burned on the night of September 12-13, 1839, by supporters of William Lyon Mackenzie who crossed the Niagara River from New . . . — Map (db m78869) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Fort Chippawa 1791
The fortifications which stood on this site were built in 1791 to protect the southern terminus of the Niagara portage road, and serve as a forwarding depot for government supplies. Known also as Fort Welland, the main structure consisted of a log . . . — Map (db m49164) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Navy IslandÎle Navy

The British used Navy Island from 1761 to 1764 as a shipyard in which to build the first British decked vessels to sail the upper lakes. These were essential in maintaining the supply lines westward during Pontiac's uprising, 1763-4. Thereafter . . . — Map (db m49052) HM

Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Niagara River Remedial Action Plan
Niagara's beauty has been an inspiration for today's environmental movement. Early conservationists such as George Catlin and Frederick Olmstead, who invented the concept of national parks, came to view its wonders. Nurtured by such visions and . . . — Map (db m64652) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813
At daybreak on July 5, 1813, a British and Canadian force, consisting of some 35 militia and a small detachment of the 49th Regiment, embarked in this vicinity to attack Fort Schlosser. This American depot (now within Niagara Falls, New York) was . . . — Map (db m49163) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — The Battle of ChippawaLa Bataille de Chippawa
Here, on 5 July 1814, an American army under Major-General Jacob Brown launched the last major invasion of Canada during the War of 1812. The Americans defeated a British and Canadian force commanded by Major-General Phineas Riall consisting of . . . — Map (db m49050) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — The Battle of Chippawa
On this site was fought The Battle of Chippawa July 5, 1814. Preservation of the Battleground was made possible by The Niagara Parks Commission with the cooperation of Frank and Mildred Branscombe, River Realty . . . — Map (db m49460) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — The Destruction of The Caroline, 1837
On the night of December 29-30, 1837, some 60 volunteers acting on the orders of Col. Allen Napier MacNab, and commanded by Capt. Andrew Drew, R.N., set out from Chippawa in small boats to capture the American steamer "Caroline". That vessel, which . . . — Map (db m64651) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Chippawa — The Founding of Chippawa
In 1792-94 a village grew up near Fort Chippawa on Chippawa Creek at the end of the new portage road from Queenston. In 1793 the creek was renamed the Welland River, but the village, where a post-office was opened before 1801, remained "Chippawa". . . . — Map (db m54124) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Crystal Beach — Capture of the "Somers" and "Ohio"
On the night of August 12, 1814 seventy seamen and marines, led by Captain Alexander T. Dobbs, R.N.,embarked in this vicinity to attempt the capture of three armed U.S. schooners lying off American-held Fort Erie. One of the six boats used had been . . . — Map (db m53441) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Bertie Street Ferry Landingc. 1796 - 1950
Over the centuries there have been many ferry landings along the Niagara River. Some were built by local merchants and some as government licenced landing points. The longest operating ferry dock was here, near the foot of present-day Bertie . . . — Map (db m75876) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Capture of the "Ohio" and "Somers"Prise des Goelettes "Ohio" et "Somers"
On the night of 12 August 1814, as a prelude to a British attack on Fort Erie, an expedition was mounted against three armed American schooners anchored off the fort. Captain Alexander Dobbs, R.N., embarked with 70 seamen and marines in six batteaux . . . — Map (db m48913) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Conestoga Wagon Trek
The border between Canada and the United States of America has witnessed many migrations of people. At two times, however, the migration was primarily from south to north. That was in the troubled days just prior to the American Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m75851) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Fort Erie
Three fortifications occupied this site. The first (1764-1779) and second (c. 1783-1803), located at lower levels, were abandoned when ice and water inundated the works. The third Fort Erie, built between 1805 and 1808, was repaired in January 1814 . . . — Map (db m48912) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Fort Erie Ferry Landings
Throughout the 1800s there were many ferry landings competing for business along the Niagara River. The map below is a compilation of some of these locations. Ferry leases were granted to: Col. John Warren Sr., John Warren Jr., Nelson . . . — Map (db m75877) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Fort Erie, Pro Patria Mori Cairn
[Text on the base of the Cairn]; Here are buried 150 British Officers and Men Who fell in the attack on Fort Erie On the 26th day of August, 1814, and three of the defenders, men of the United States Infantry, whose remains . . . — Map (db m54139) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Freedom Park
From around 1830 to 1860, thousands of freedom seekers used the Underground Railroad to reach sanctuary in Canada - the “promised land”. Many crossed the Niagara River from the United State to Fort Erie, including Josiah Henson and his . . . — Map (db m75878) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Fort Erie — Frenchman's Creek
In an effort to regain the initiative lost at Queenston, the Americans planned a general invasion for 28 November 1812. Before dawn advance parties crossed the Niagara River to cut communications between Fort Erie and Chippawa and to silence the . . . — Map (db m49049) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Grimsby — Engagement at the Forty
[English Text]: Engagement at the Forty Here at the Forty Mile Creek, on 8th June, 1813, American forces, retreating after the Battle of Stoney Creek, were bombarded by a British flotilla under Sir James Lucas Yeo. Indians and . . . — Map (db m56704) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Grimsby — Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial Flagpole
We dedicate this flagpole to the Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial peace garden in honour of the "Encounter at the Forty" at this site on June 8, 1813, a turning point in the War of 1812 by the United States and the British. Also, to celebrate 200 . . . — Map (db m56993) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Grimsby — Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial Gazebo
We dedicate this gazebo to the Grimsby 1812 Bicentennial Peace Garden and to the residents of Grimsby, In commemoration of 200 years of peace between Canada and the United States. The design of the gazebo was inspired by elements of Fort George . . . — Map (db m57034) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — About the year 1600 B.C. ...
About the year 1600 B.C., the Falls of Niagara was located at this point in the Niagara River. During the 12,000 year history of the Falls, it has receded from its initial breach of the escarpment at Queenston Height to is present location 3.66 km. . . . — Map (db m79652) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — American Withdrawal
After this fierce and bloody battle, General Brown ordered the American withdrawal southward. The American forces were not expelled from the position they won, but retired voluntarily. The British regained possession of the battlefield, but were in . . . — Map (db m139920) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Americans Withdraw
Around midnight, with both sides completely exhausted, the Americans withdrew to their camp at Chippawa. They left the British guns behind, allowing Drummond to reclaim them the following morning. “At the Falls of the Niagara we met the . . . — Map (db m139936) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battle Ground Hotel
Adam Fralick, a descendent of a United Empire Loyalist family, watched as the tourist industry grew around the War of 1812 battlefield at Lundy’s Lane. In 1836, he purchased this property and built the Battle Ground Hotel. Later, in 1850, Fralick . . . — Map (db m139940) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battle of Lundy's LaneBataille de Lundy's Lane
This was the site of the bloodiest battle of the War of 1812. On the afternoon of 25th July, 1814, Lieutenant-General Gordon Drummond with about 2800 men engaged the invading American army which had recently been victorious at Chippawa. The . . . — Map (db m49053) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battle Stages
The Battle of Lundy’s Lane was a turning Point in the War of 1812-14. While British reinforcements began arriving in North America following the defeat of Napoleon in Europe, the Americans were pushing to gain control of the Niagara Peninsula with . . . — Map (db m139921) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battlefield Tourism
Following the close of the War of 1812, because both sides claimed victory here, the battlefield became a popular tourist destination. For many decades, veterans of the battle were available to conduct personal tours. In 1845, the first of five . . . — Map (db m139943) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Bicentennial of the Battle of Lundy’s Lane
. . . — Map (db m139913) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Bridgewater Mills
In the late 1790's the river flowed swiftly around these islands. The Bridgewater Mills, a water powered saw and grist mill and an iron foundry, where the first bar iron was made in Canada, were located here. The Mills were burned by the retreating . . . — Map (db m53402) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — British Retreat
Following the capture of his artillery by the Americans, Lt. General Drummond and his troops retreated from their defensive position on the height of land in the cemetery to this area on the north side of the hill. Starting before 10 p.m. and . . . — Map (db m139914) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Burch’s Mill
In 1786 John Burch, a United Empire loyalist, constructed a water-powered grist and sawmill on this site. He was the first to use the waters on the west bank of the Niagara River for industrial purposes. The mills were burned by the retreating . . . — Map (db m79766) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Buried Railway Trestle and Buried Gorge
The cut stone markers are the ends of a buried steel trestle that carried the tracks of the Niagara Falls Park and River Railway. It spanned the ravine created by Bowman’s Creek which eroded the soft glacial debris of the buried gorge of a . . . — Map (db m79563) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Burr Lockhart Plato1833 - 1905
Born into slavery in Logan County in what is now West Virginia U.S.A., Plato and several friends used the Underground Railroad to reach Canada in 1856, settling in Niagara Falls. He became a popular and respected businessman, as well as an active . . . — Map (db m139961) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Cecil Bishopp
In memory of Lt. Col. Cecil Bishopp who died of wounds received during the raid on Black Rock, New York, July 11, 1813 during the War of 1812. He was buried in this cemetery on July 17, 1813. In 1846 Bishopp’s two sisters erected this memorial in . . . — Map (db m139969) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Charles Green1740 - 1827 — United Empire Loyalist —
“If the captain wants me, he may come himself and if he does I will shoot him.” With these words, Charles Green refused induction into the N. Jersey rebel militia. Imprisoned, he escaped and joined the “King’s Rangers” a . . . — Map (db m75879) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Churches Atop of Drummond Hill
As early as 1795, a small log church, used by a number of denominations, was on top of this hill. Destroyed during the Battle of Lundy’s Lane on July 25, 1814, it was not replaced until 1819 when a combination church and schoolhouse was constructed . . . — Map (db m139955) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Drummond Hill Cemetery
Drummond Hill Presbyterian Church Present during the Battle of Lundy’s Lane, a former church once sat at the north east end of the cemetery. Built in 1887 by A.J. Lowell, the current church was then modernized in 1961. Captain Abraham Hull & . . . — Map (db m139932) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Ebenezer Community
In 1852 this was the site of the Ebenezer religious community of 800 people. It had log houses, a wharf, store, blacksmith shop, sawmill, woolen mill, flour mill, cannery, cabinet shop and a communal dining hall. Their best known product was high . . . — Map (db m64653) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Edgeworth Ussher, Esq.November 16, 1838
Here rests, in the hope of a joyful resurrection, the mortal remains of Edgeworth Ussher, Esq., whose devotion to his sovereign and exertions in the cause of his country at a critical period of the history of Canada, marked him out as an object for . . . — Map (db m75852) HM WM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Facing the American Attack
In the centre the repeated and determined attacks of the enemy were met by the 89th Regiment, the detachments of the Royals and King’s and the Light Company of the 41st, with the most perfect steadiness and intrepid gallantry, and the . . . — Map (db m139922) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Floral ClockHistory
The Floral Clock at Queenston was built by Ontario Hydro in 1950. The idea to build the attraction came from Dr. Richard Lankaster Heam, Hydro’s General Manager and Chief Engineer at the time. While preparing for a business trip to England, Mr. . . . — Map (db m79106) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Holding the High Ground
Early on the morning of July 26th, 1814, Lieutenant-General Sir Gordon Drummond awaited another attack on the Lundy's Lane hill near Niagara Falls. Throughout the previous night, this hill had been taken and retaken in the bloodiest, most hard . . . — Map (db m49693) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — I’ll Try, Sir
On the evening of July 25, 1814, Col. James Miller, commander of the 21st US Infantry Regiment, was asked if his regiment could silence the seven British guns that had been holding the attacking American Army at bay for several hours. Miller replied . . . — Map (db m139956) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Indian Ossuary
200 yards north west of the highest point was situated the largest Indian Ossuary yet discovered in the Province. First discovered in 1828. Bones and sand removed in 1908. — Map (db m75853) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — International Rainbow Bridge CommemorationKing George VI and Queen Elizabeth — June 7, 1939 —
The adjacent stone monument commemorates the visit of their majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to view the site of the Rainbow Bridge on June 7, 1939. Originally laid at the base of the carillon tower, it was severely damaged by an . . . — Map (db m115417) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — José María Heredia(1803–1839) — Niágara —
Cuban poet and patriot who sang to Niagara and, as José Martí said, awakened “an ever-burning passion for freedom” in the hearts of all Cubans.                               Niagara                            (fragments) . . . — Map (db m78068) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Laura Secord
[Front Side of the Monument]: To perpetuate the name and fame of Laura Secord who walked alone nearly 20 miles by a circuitous difficult and perilous route, through woods and swamps and over miry . . . — Map (db m49694) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Louis Hennepin 1626 - c. 1705
{The west/city marker side, in English:} Born and educated in Belgium, Hennepin was ordained a Recollet (Franciscan) friar in France. He was an adventurer at heart and undertook priestly duties in several European countries before being . . . — Map (db m35487) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Lundy’s Lane Battlefield Gateway
Lundy’s Lane Battlefield Gateway Commemorated on July 25th, 2014 on the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Lundy’s Lane (1814 – 2014) The City of Niagara Falls acknowledges the generous contribution made by the following partners Government . . . — Map (db m139945) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Lundy's Lane Battlefield Commemorative WallCelebrating 100 Years — July 25, 2004 —
In celebration of the City of Niagara Falls Centennial, and the 190th Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane, fought on July 25, 1814. These limestone panels were created to pay tribute to those who lost their lives in the battle. Let us remember . . . — Map (db m49739) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Park and River Railway
The Niagara River Recreation Trail at this point is laid along the former double-track roadbed of the Niagara Falls Park and River Railway. From 1892 to 1932, before there was an auto route along the gorge, this electric railway carried millions of . . . — Map (db m79520) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse
The Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse, built on this site in 1892, was the first hydraulic powerhouse to use water from the Canadian side of the Niagara River. It generated 2100 hp of direct current electricity for the electric . . . — Map (db m66409) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara Glen
The Falls of Niagara were here about 7000 to 8000 years ago, three separate cataracts, about .8 kilometres (.5 miles) apart, fed by drainage from Lake Erie. Then suddenly, other lakes began to pour into Lake Erie, thereby increasing the outflow to . . . — Map (db m34806) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara Park Greenhouses
These greenhouses were erected in the year 1946 as a part of the design of the Niagara Parks Commission to develop the natural magnificence of this historic district and to display its charms for the benefit not only of those who are residents of . . . — Map (db m66411) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara Portage Road
Following the cession of the east bank of the Niagara River to the United States in 1783, the British authorities felt compelled to transfer the portage road around Niagara Falls to the west bank of the river. Opened in 1789 by a group of private . . . — Map (db m75854) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara River Recreation Trail
This trail is provided and maintained through the earnings of The Niagara Parks Commission. The Commission is a self-funding agency of the Ontario Government dedicated to preserving and enhancing the beauty of the lands adjacent to the Niagara River . . . — Map (db m79579) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Niagara Spanish Aero Car
Leonardo Torres Quevedo (1852–1936) was an ingenious Spanish engineer. Among his creations were algebraic machines, remote control devices, dirigibles and the world’s first computer. The Niagara Spanish Aero Car was designed by Leonardo . . . — Map (db m79427) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Nikola TeslaJuly 10, 1856 - January 7, 1943
Nikola Tesla was born to a Serbian family in the village of Smiljan, Croatia. He was a brilliant child who when only 12 years old, upon seeing a lithograph of Niagara Falls declared that one day he would put a wheel under it and “power the . . . — Map (db m115358) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Nikola TeslaAbout This Monument
Speaking about this monument, Canadian sculptor Les Drysdale says: “Tesla is as he would have appeared in 1896, age 39, about the time his inventions were being used to create hydroelectric power at Niagara Falls. As the story goes, . . . — Map (db m115368) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Nikola TeslaInventor — 1856-1943 —
The St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, Niagara Falls, in partnership with the Niagara Parks Commission, have erected this monument to Nikola Tesla. Physicist, inventor, electrical engineer. Tesla developed the world's first hydroelectric system . . . — Map (db m115369) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — One Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane
This Memorial – is – Erected to Commemorate the celebration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane Held here July 25th 1914 Under the Auspices – of – The . . . — Map (db m54045) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Rainbow Bridge
The Rainbow Bridge, owned and operated by the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, was built in 1940-41 to replace the Upper Steel Arch Bridge. Its abutments are 15.1m (50 ft.) above the level of river ice jams. When it was built its 286m (950 ft.) arch . . . — Map (db m64661) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Ruth Redmond1903 - 1999
Ruth Redmond was a teacher at nearby Stamford Collegiate from 1926 to 1967. In 1954, Miss Redmond began purchasing properties that were adjacent to her home here on the north side of Lundy's Lane. This valuable land was part of the Lundy's Lane . . . — Map (db m57035) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Sir Casimir S. Gzowski 1813-1898
First chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission (1885-93) Gzowski was born in Russia of Polish parents. Forced to emigrate, following participation in the Polish Rising of 1830, he came to Canada in 1841. An exceptionally able engineer, he first . . . — Map (db m37119) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Site of Redan Battery
Near this spot Lieut-Col. John MacDonnell Attorney General of Upper Canada was mortally wounded 13th October 1812. — Map (db m75855) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Soldier's MonumentLundy's Lane
[Front Side of Monument]: Erected by the Canadian Parliament in honour of the victory gained by the British & Canadian Forces on this field on the 25th day of July, 1814 and in grateful remembrance . . . — Map (db m49790) WM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Stamford Cottage
200 yards north east of this point stood "Stamford Cottage" later known as "Stamford Park" the home of Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada from 1818 to 1828. The property was purchased in 1822 . . . — Map (db m75856) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Stranded Scow
On August 6, 1918, this dumping scow broke loose from its towing tug about 1.6 kilometres (1 mile) upriver, with Gustav F. Lofberg and James N. Harris aboard. The men opened the bottom dumping doors and the scow grounded in the shallow rapids. They . . . — Map (db m79781) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Table Rock
This is the site of the historic landmark, Table Rock, a shelf of bare rock 61 metres (200 feet) long, 18.3 metres (60 feet) wide. Once part of the crest of the Horseshoe Falls it was left isolated when the Falls receded. Rock falls in 1818, 1828, . . . — Map (db m64668) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Table Rock HouseErected 1853. — Demolished 1926.
The first Table Rock House stood 150 yards north of here. Erected in the year 1853, it occupied a site opposite the historical landmark of Table Rock, an overhanging limestone ledge which fell into the Niagara Gorge in the year 1850. — Map (db m78088) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Aftermath of Battle
British and American forces suffered heavy losses at the Battle of Lundy’s Lane on July 25, 1814 and these were severe in proportion to the number of combatants. The casualty rates were nearly equal, as each side recorded around 800 casualties, . . . — Map (db m139918) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Americans Attack
Scott’s brigade approached from the south along the Portage Road. Shortly after 7pm on July 25, 1814, they emerged from the woods that covered the area south of this cemetery along present day Barker Street. Ahead, they saw the height of land at . . . — Map (db m139926) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Americans Capture the British Guns
The Americans surged forward, attempting to take the British position. This and repeated attempts failed and they endured heavy losses. Later, under cover of darkness, the American 21st Infantry made its way up the southeast slope of the hill. In a . . . — Map (db m139931) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Battle of Lundy’s LaneWar of 1812
The Battle of Lundy’s Lane was a turning point in the War of 1812-14. While British Reinforcements began arriving in North America following the defeat of Napoleon in Europe, the Americans were pushing to gain control of the Niagara Peninsula. In . . . — Map (db m139907) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Boundary Waters Treaty
"It is further agreed that the waters herein defined as boundary waters and waters flowing across the boundary shall not be polluted on either side to the injury of health or property of the other." Widely regarded as the first . . . — Map (db m64648) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The British DefenseThe Battle of Lundy’s Lane
In the early evening of July 25th, 1814, the British commander, Lt. General Drummond stood on this hilltop. Having just received intelligence that an American force was marching northward in this direction along the Portage Road, he realized that . . . — Map (db m139912) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — 3 — The Capture of the Redan and the Death of Brock
On the river banks below here, the Americans were trapped. To the right the Americans scaled the river cliff and seized the Heights above. To the left the British held the Village of Queenston. A British 18-pounder cannon situated here within an . . . — Map (db m75875) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Inukshuk

The inukshuk (pronounced IN-OOK-SHOOK) means “in the image of man.” These magnificent lifelike figures of stone erected by the Inuit people are unique to the Canadian Arctic.

The traditional purpose of an . . . — Map (db m79021) HM

Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara
In 1885, the Province of Ontario established The Niagara Parks Commission as part of an international effort to preserve the natural scenery around Niagara Falls. Originally, the Commission included Colonel Casimir Gzowski, Chairman, John W. . . . — Map (db m116093) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Thomas Baker McQuestenK.C., M.L.A. — 1882 – 1945 —
Thomas Baker McQuesten was born in Hespeler, Ontario June 30, 1882. In 1934 he was appointed Minister of Highways and Public Works for the Province of Ontario and Chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission. He served in both positions for ten years. . . . — Map (db m78489) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Thompson Point
This depression was the site in the early 1800’s where John Thompson quarried the exposed limestone ridge at the edge of the gorge, and processed it into agricultural lime. There were two lime kilns and a water-powered sawmill on the site which . . . — Map (db m79421) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Tightrope Walker Nik WallendaOn June 15, 2012 — Niagara Parks —
On June 15, 2012, the world watched as professional tightrope walker Nik Wallenda crossed the Niagara Gorge on a wire. Table Rock complex marked the Canadian end point for this high wire walk, which began at Terrapin Point, directly across the Gorge . . . — Map (db m64660) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — To the Memory of Burrell Hecock
To the memory of Burrell Hecock of Cleveland Ohio Aged 17 Years Who lost his life in an heroic attempt to rescue Mr and Mrs Eldridge Stanton of Toronto Ontario when the ice bridge in the gorge immediately below . . . — Map (db m35065) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — To the Memory of the Pioneersand the Red Meeting House — 1817-1869 —
Genesee Methodist Conference met here July 1820. — Map (db m75880) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Toronto Power Generating StationLa centrale Électrique de la Toronto Power
Opened in 1906 to supply the Toronto market, this generating station was the first wholly Canadian-owned hydro-electric facility at Niagara Falls. Engineers adapted advanced European and American technologies to a difficult site in a bold and . . . — Map (db m79737) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — U.S. Infantry TrenchJuly 23, 1814
This Monument erected July 25, 1991 by the American Legion, Niagara County Committee & Dept. of New York In memory of the U.S. Officers & Soldiers who died at the Battle of Lundy's Lane Connecticut 25th; New York 23rd; Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m49695) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Upper Steel Arch Bridge
An abutment of the Upper Steel Arch Bridge built on this site 1897-98, is visible on the U.S. shore of the river. Also known as the Falls View Bridge and the Honeymoon Bridge, it stood until January 27, 1938, when an ice jam pushed the bridge off . . . — Map (db m79521) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Upper Suspension Bridge
This plaque marks the entrance to the Upper Suspension Bridge, opened in July 1869, then the longest suspension bridge in the world. The iron cables were hung from timber towers. In 1884-87, this wooden bridge was changed to steel. In 1898, this . . . — Map (db m64670) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — War of 1812
The Napoleonic Wars raged in Europe from 1803 to 1815 and had a global impact. Wishing to remain neutral and assert its independence, the United States continued to trade with both Britain and France. Nevertheless, diplomatic relations between the . . . — Map (db m139911) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Whirlpool Rapids Gorge
An ancient river pre-dating the Wisconsin Glacier flowed through the channel of the Whirlpool Rapids and the Whirlpool draining glacial Lake Erie. After the retreat of the glacier when the present river broke through the rock barriers at Thompson . . . — Map (db m79581) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Wm. B. RankineOperating Station of Canadian Niagara Power Company, Limited
Built in 1901-05, it was the first Powerhouse on the Canadian side to produce electrical energy for commercial use and sale outside Niagara Falls. Its location takes advantage of the natural flow of the river which formerly entered here to flow . . . — Map (db m116098) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Zimmerman Fountain Pond
This beautiful fountain takes its name from Samuel Zimmerman who came to Canada from Pennsylvania in 1842. He amassed a fortune through a series of lucrative contracts involving the building of the second Welland Canal and various Railway Lines, . . . — Map (db m75881) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Fort EvolvesFort Mississauga
The Tower By 1813, the British were planning to build "a tower in small redoubt to command the entrance of the River...at Mississauga Point." Begun in the Spring of 1814, this tower rests on the remains of the first Capital of . . . — Map (db m52200) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Strategic Location
A Strategic Location You are standing at Mississauga Point where the Niagara River flows into Lake Ontario. Long ago the lakes and rivers were military supply and transportation routes and forts were built to protect them. . . . — Map (db m52610) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Strategic Site
Fort Niagara was only 1200 metres from Fort George, well within artillery range. In May, 1813, combined artillery fire from Fort Niagara, its detached batteries, and American warships at the river's mouth completely destroyed Fort George and forced . . . — Map (db m53604) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Strategic Site
The Niagara River was extremely important from a strategic perspective. It was part of the St. Lawrence – Great Lakes system, one of the main transportation routes on either side of the border. Those who controlled the waterways would . . . — Map (db m140087) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Action at Butler's FarmEngagement a Butler's Farm
On the 8th of July, 1813, an outpost of the invading force, encamped near Fort George, was defeated by a band of Six Nations and Western Indians led by Chiefs John Norton and Blackbird and interpreters Michel Brisebois, Louis Langlade and Barnet . . . — Map (db m48747) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Bicentennial of First Parliament
This plaque, erected by the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, commemorates the Bicentennial of the first Parliament of Upper Canada held at Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) near this site on September 17th, 1792, which marked the beginning of . . . — Map (db m140020) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Brown's Point
Brown's Inn was located here. Both the Canadian York Militia and the American Army bivouacked near here on separate occasions during the War of 1812. Adam Brown later added a store to his inn, and built a wharf on the river shore below, where . . . — Map (db m49166) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Brown's Point
Brown's Point Here Gen. Sir Isaac Brock called out on his way to Queenston Heights 13th October 1812 "Push On York Volunteers." — Map (db m49482) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Butler's Rangers
In 1777 John Butler of New York raised a force of Rangers who, with their Iroquois allies, raided the frontiers of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey throughout the American Revolutionary War. From their base at Fort Niagara they successfully . . . — Map (db m75857) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Capture of Fort Niagara 1813
In the early morning of December 19th, 1813, a force under Colonel John Murray, consisting of detachments of the 100th and 41st Regiments. Royal Scots, Royal Artillery and Canadian Militia embarked in bateaux at the foot of this ravine. Crossing . . . — Map (db m49158) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Chloe Cooley and the 1793 Act to Limit Slavery in Upper Canada
On March 14, 1793 Chloe Cooley, an enslaved Black woman in Queenston, was bound, thrown in a boat and sold across the river to a new owner in the United States. Her screams and violent resistance were brought to the attention of Lieutenant Governor . . . — Map (db m75858) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — First Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada
The first session of the Legislative Assembly held at Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) from 17 September to 15 October 1792, introduced a limited form of representative government to the newly created colony of Upper Canada. The elected assembly formed . . . — Map (db m140021) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort GeorgeLe Fort George
Constructed by order of Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe 1796-99, Fort George served as the headquarters for Major-General Brock in 1812. In May, 1813, it was bombarded and captured by the Americans who constructed fortifications of their own on the site. . . . — Map (db m48743) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort MississaugaLe Fort Mississauga
This tower and earthwork are all that survive of the barracks, guardroom, and cells of Fort Mississauga. Built between 1814 and 1816 to replace Fort George as the counterpoise to the American Fort Niagara immediately opposite, it was garrisoned . . . — Map (db m48745) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Mississauga is a National Historic Sitean impotant part of Canada's story!
• Mississauga Point was the location of a Neutral First Nation fishing settlement by the 15th century. • The area was under the control of the Seneca Nation during the late 17th century, and it became home to the Mississauga Nation by the . . . — Map (db m52236) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Mississauga TrailSentier du fort Mississauga
Explore a part of our heritage - visit a fort almost 200 years old and discover part of the Lake Ontario shoreline. Explorez un volet de notre patrimoine - visitez un fort qui a presque 200 ans d'histoire et decouvrez une partie du rivage du . . . — Map (db m48632) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Niagara
Across the Niagara River is the imposing American stronghold, Fort Niagara. Originally built by the French, then occupied by the British, and finally by the Americans, this fort for nearly 150 years stood guard over the traditional supply route to . . . — Map (db m53630) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Niagara
Only 1200 metres across the Niagara River is the imposing American stronghold, Fort Niagara. Originally built by the French, then occupied by the British, and finally the Americans, this fort for nearly 150 years stood guard over the traditional . . . — Map (db m140089) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Guns Gins and Devil Carts
Garrison guns were heavy and awkward to move. To be transported, the barrel had to be taken off the carriage with the help of a tripod hoist or gun gin. The gin was equipped with a pulley system that made it possible for two men to lift the barrel. . . . — Map (db m54006) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Janet Carnochan 1839 - 1926
For more than thirty years Janet Carnochan, a native of Stamford, Ontario, taught elementary and secondary school at Niagara-on-the Lake, but she made her greatest contribution to the community as a historian rather than as an educator. A . . . — Map (db m75859) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — John Graves SimcoeFirst Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada 1791-1796
Here at Niagara on September 17, 1792 he presided over the first representative assembly of this province. His genius foresaw the greatness of this country and he threw himself into its building with ardour and enthusiasm. . . . — Map (db m49475) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — John Graves Simcoe1752-1806
Simcoe was born in Northamptonshire and educated at Oxford. He joined the British army in 1771, and from 1777-81 commanded the Queen's Rangers, a Loyalist corps in America. After the Loyalist influx had led to the creation of a separate province of . . . — Map (db m75860) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — John Graves SimcoeThe first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada
With the generous support of the Ministry of Canadian Heritage, the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Heritage Fund and the Henry N.R. Jackson Foundation. Sculptor Roy Charles Asplin Unveiled July 1999 — Map (db m140011) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Joseph-Geneviere, Comte de Puisaye
Soldier, politician, diplomatist and colonizer, de Puisaye was born at Mortagne-en-Perche, France, about 1755 and enlisted in the French Army at 18. Elected to the States General in 1789, he supported reform but, alarmed by the course of the . . . — Map (db m49159) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Later YearsInoculation at Old Navy Hall, Niagara Camp
[Text on Marker]: Immediately after the War of 1812, a new wooden storehouse was built on this site. It was converted into barracks for British troops during the border troubles of 1838. The building remained in use until the 20th . . . — Map (db m49478) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Lieutenant-Colonel John Butler 1725-1796
Born in New London, Connecticut, Butler settled in the Mohawk Valley, New York, in 1742. Commissioned in the British Indian Department in 1755, he served in the Seven Years War. At the outbreak of the American Revolution , he was compelled to leave . . . — Map (db m49165) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Locomotive Turntable
For 103 years, beginning in 1854, a train powered by a steam locomotive pulled into the Niagara Dock. At first it only came from Chippawa via Niagara Falls and Queenston but by 1863 the line had been extended as far as Fort Erie and Buffalo. The . . . — Map (db m54079) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — McFarland House 1800
This Georgian style house was built in 1800 by John McFarland (1757-1815) and his sons, on land granted by the Crown. It is one of the oldest surviving structures in the Niagara district. During the War of 1812 it was used as a hospital by both . . . — Map (db m49480) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Memorial Hall, 1906
This building, the first in Ontario to be constructed for use solely as an historical museum, was begun in 1906 and completed the following year. Its erection was due largely to the dedicated efforts of Miss Janet Carnochan, founder, and for thirty . . . — Map (db m75861) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Navy Hall
The facilities of this strategic location have served British and later Canadian troops stationed at Niagara from 1765 to the 1920's. — Map (db m49477) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Negro Burial Ground1830
Here stood a Baptist church erected in 1830 through the exertions of a former British soldier. John Oakley, who although white, became pastor of a predominantly negro congregation. In 1793 Upper Canada had passed an act forbidding further . . . — Map (db m75862) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Agricultural Society1792 - 1805
The first organization devoted to the improvement of agriculture in Ontario was founded at Niagara. Its original name, the Agricultural Society of Upper Canada, reflected Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe’s hope that it would become a . . . — Map (db m139985) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara ApothecaryLa Pharmacie De Niagara
Acquired by the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969, the Niagara Apothecary is a fine example of a Confederation era commercial establishment and pharmacy. Although the building probably dates to the 1820's. It was extensively renovated in 1866 when . . . — Map (db m24609) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Harbour and Dock Company
Formed by local businessmen in 1831, the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company created a shipping basin here on the Niagara River by hiring hundreds of labourers to excavate a riverside marsh. By the late 1830s the company employed close to 400 workers . . . — Map (db m54049) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Historical Society1895 - 1995
On December 12th, 1895, a group of dedicated persons founded the Niagara Historical Society. This tree was planted in 1995 to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Society. — Map (db m140025) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Land Purchases
To obtain land on which to settle Loyalists and dispossessed members of the Six Nations of the Iroquois, Guy Johnson in May 1781 and John Butler in May 1784 negotiated treaties with representatives of the Mississauga and Chippewa of this region. The . . . — Map (db m75863) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara National Historic Sites
Brock's Monument and Queenston Heights: This striking commemoration and final resting place of Major General Brock marks the site of the Battle of Queenston Heights. Visitors can climb the 235 stairs to take in spectacular views, or . . . — Map (db m54037) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara on the Lake Historical District
(Left side is in English) In 1778, Loyalist refugees began crossing from Fort Niagara to settle the west bank of the Niagara River. A town was laid out in a grid pattern of four-acre blocks and grew quickly, gaining prominence as the first . . . — Map (db m24585) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Point Mississauga LighthouseLe Phare de Point Mississauga
The first lighthouse on the Great Lakes was built of stone at Point Mississauga in 1804 by John Symington, under orders from Lieutenant-Governor Peter Hunter. Demolished in 1814 to make room for this fort, its materials with debris from the ruined . . . — Map (db m48746) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Polish Soldier’s Burial Plot1917 – 1919
This burial plot commemorates the Polish soldiers who trained in this community from 1917 – 1919 at Camp Kosciuszko and subsequently made the supreme sacrifice – They personified the Polish soldiers’ motto: “For Your Freedom and . . . — Map (db m140019) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Sir Isaac Brock's First Burial Site
Placed Here by the Niagara Historical Society This Marks The Spot Where Gen. Sir Isaac Brock, was buried from 1812 To 1824 — Map (db m53535) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Six Pounder Field Gun
Field artillery was designed for mobility. Cannons mounted on carriages with large wheels could be moved quickly, even over rough terrain. This six pounder has a limber to carry ammunition and supplies and would be harnessed to a team of horses. . . . — Map (db m54000) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Southern Terminus of The Bruce Trail
This cairn marks the southern terminus of the Bruce Trail, a cross-country foot trail established along or adjacent to the Niagara Escarpment extending from Tobermory on Georgian Bay in the north to this southern terminus at Queenston Heights. . . . — Map (db m79046) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — St. Mark’s Church
One of the earliest Anglican churches in the province, St. Mark’s was begun in 1804 to serve a congregation organized twelve years earlier. Its first rector, the Reverend Robert Addison, chaplain of Upper Canada’s first Legislative Assembly, . . . — Map (db m139894) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1835
The Parish of St. Vincent de Paul is the direct successor of the many and often interrupted endeavors in the Niagara area since 1626. At first concerned with native peoples, later French and then English-speaking priests came as chaplains for the . . . — Map (db m37237) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Battle of Fort GeorgeLa Bataille de Fort George
On the 25th May, 1813, the American Fleet and the Batteries at Fort Niagara across the river began a devastating two-day bombardment of Fort George. On the 27th a large American force was landed and after a brief engagement in which his outnumbered . . . — Map (db m48628) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Battle of Fort George
In May of 1813, combined artillery fire from Fort Niagara and detached batteries destroyed Fort George paving the way for invasion. On May 27th, a large American force defeated a much smaller number of British regulars, militia and First Nations . . . — Map (db m140092) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Burning of St. Davids 1814
On July 18th, 1814, during the final American campaign on the Niagara frontier, Major-General Peter B. Porter sent a detachment of militia from the United States encampment at Queenston to attack St. Davids. This force, commanded by . . . — Map (db m58172) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Canada Constellation1799-1800
On July 20, 1799, the first edition of the "Canada Constellation", Upper Canada's earliest independent newspaper, was published at Niagara by Gideon and Silvester Tiffany, two brothers who had come from the United States. Gideon had at first held . . . — Map (db m75864) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Early Years
[Text on Marker]: Navy Hall originally consisted of a small shipyard, storehouses, residences and docks which served as a depot for local supplies; it also served as a trans-shipment point for the posts on the upper Great Lakes. From . . . — Map (db m49476) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Field House
One of the oldest brick houses in Ontario, this handsome Georgian structure was built about 1800. Originally a farm house, it was the home of Gilbert Field (1765-1815), a United Empire Loyalist who was in possesion of the land by 1790. During the . . . — Map (db m56718) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The First Provincial Parliament   1792
On September 17, 1792, Colonel John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, opened in this community, then the capital, the first provincial parliament. The legislature consisted of an appointed Legislative Council and an elected . . . — Map (db m139893) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Fortified Mouth of the Niagara River
The St.Lawrence and Great Lakes system was the most efficient route to the interior of the continent of North America. Large waterways allowed for substantial sailing vessels to trade and maintain contact with Native allies from Montreal to the . . . — Map (db m53624) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Remains of Three Soldiers
Here was found in August 1899 The remains of three Soldiers who fell on 27th May 1813 In defense of our country — Map (db m48629) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Upper Canadian Act Against Slavery (1793)
Inspired by the abolitionist sentiment emerging in the late 18th century, Lieutenant-Governor J.G. Simcoe made Upper Canada the first British territory to legislate against slavery, which had defined the conditions of life for most people of African . . . — Map (db m75865) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Thomas Moore(1779 - 1852)
One of Ireland's best loved and renowned poets and lyricists, Thomas Moore visited Niagara during July 1804. Captivated by the scenic splendour of the area and as guest of Col. Isaac Brock, Commander at Fort George, Moore frequently found rest and . . . — Map (db m49481) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Town of Niagara
Known at various times as Butlersburg, West Niagara and Newark, its first permanent settlers, including Butler’s Rangers and other Loyalists, arrived about 1780. The first five sessions of Upper Canada’s legislature met here under . . . — Map (db m139988) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Township of Niagara War Memorial
This monument was erected in memory of the men of Niagara Township who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the Great War 1914 – 1918 And in World War II 1939 – 1945 Whose names are here recorded and in honour of those who . . . — Map (db m140123) WM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Ubique
Everywhere Artillery was vitally important to the defense of Upper Canada. Due to a shortage of heavy cannons available in the province, there were only five garrison guns mounted inside Fort George in May of 1813. . . . — Map (db m53989) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Upper Canada Gazette, or American OracleThursday, April 18, 1793
Ontario’s first newspaper, Upper Canada Gazette, or American Oracle was published in Niagara-on-the-Lake by Louis Roy, King’s Printer to John Graves Simcoe, founding Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. The first edition of four pages . . . — Map (db m140013) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Vrooman's BatteryLa Batterie Vrooman
Manned by Captain Samuel Hatt's 5th Lincoln (Militia) Regiment and a small party of the Lincoln Militia Artillery under Lieutenant John Ball, and consisting of one 24-pounder cannon mounted within a crescent-shaped earthwork, this Battery was . . . — Map (db m48750) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Welcome to Fort George
Built in 1796, Fort George was the scene of fierce engagements during the War of 1812. It was captured and destroyed then refortified by the Americans in 1813. It was re-taken by the British later that same year. The fort was abandoned in the . . . — Map (db m54038) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — William Kirby1817-1906
In English: Born in England, Kirby came to Canada in 1839 and began work as a tanner in the vicinity of Niagara-on-the-Lake. There he developed his literary talents and soon after moving into the town in 1848 embarked on a long and . . . — Map (db m34915) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — 'Alfred'
Early in the morning of October 13, 1812, after galloping seven miles from Fort George, General Brock tethered his gray horse ‘Alfred’ here in the Village of Queenston in order to lead a charge on foot to repel the invading enemy. Brock was killed . . . — Map (db m49167) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — 1 — AttackThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 1 of the 5-stop walking tour —
If you go to the lookout behind the Laura Secord monument you will see across the river and slightly to your right the area where a huge American force assembled for the invasion of Canada. In the early hours of October 13, 1812, six hundred . . . — Map (db m55029) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Brock Dead HouseThe first of five places where Sir Isaac Brock's body rested after the Battle of Queenston Heights
During the War of 1812, the Brock Dead House was owned by Patrick McCabe. The façade was oriented in an easterly direction, facing the Niagara River. Courtesy Brock University Library, Special Collections and Archives Brock Dead House . . . — Map (db m75882) HM WM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Brock's Cenotaph
[Text on North Side of Marker]: Near the spot Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, K.C.B. Provisional Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada fell on 13 - October, 1812 while advancing to repel the invading enemy. [Text . . . — Map (db m49483) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Brock's Monument
Upper Canada has dedicated this monument to the memory of the late Major-General Sir Issac Brock K.B. Provisional Lieut.Governor and commander of the forces in this province whose remains are deposited in the vault . . . — Map (db m49926) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Brock's MonumentQueenston Heights Battlefield
The monument towering above you is a memorial to Major-General Sir Isaac Brock commander of British forces in Upper Canada at the beginning of the War of 1812. Brock died on the slopes below Queenston Heights on October 13, 1812, during an . . . — Map (db m52137) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Fort Drummond
[English Text]: Fort Drummond This small redoubt, or square fortification, and the U-shaped advance battery, named in honour of Sir Gordon Drummond, were built in the late spring of 1814 to defend the main portage road from Chippawa . . . — Map (db m56658) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Home of Laura Ingersoll Secord
[Text inscribed on stone monument]: Home of Laura Ingersoll Secord. [Text on lower plaque]: This stone marker was placed in 1901 by the Women's Literary Club of St. Catharines to honour Laura Secord and was re- . . . — Map (db m51612) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Indians at Queenston HeightsOctober 13, 1812
Warriors of the Six Nations of Iroquois (Mohawks, Oniedas Onondagos, Cayugas, Senecas, Tuscaroras), mainly from the Grand River, fought as allies of the British in this historic battle with the Americans. Speaking distinctive dialects and with . . . — Map (db m49168) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Laura Ingersoll Secord
[Front side of Monument]: This monument has been erected by the Government of Canada to Laura Ingersoll Secord who saved her husband's life in the battle on these heights, October 13th, 1812, and who . . . — Map (db m75866) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Laura Ingersoll Secord 1775-1868
Born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, Laura Ingersoll came to Upper Canada with her father in 1795, and settled in this area. About two years later she married James Secord, a United Empire Loyalist, and within seven years they had moved to this . . . — Map (db m49160) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Laura Secord (1775-1868)
[English text]: The celebrated heroine of the war of 1812 is a renowned figure in Canadian History. Determined to warn the British of an impending attack on Beaver Dams, Secord set out from her home on June 22, 1813, on a dangerous . . . — Map (db m51613) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Major John Richardson1796-1852
This pioneer historian, author and soldier was born in Queenston. His family moved to Amherstburg about 1802, and at the outbreak of the War of 1812 Richardson joined the British army. Retired on half pay in 1818 in London, England, he published the . . . — Map (db m54135) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Queenston United Church of Canadaformerly The Old Historic Methodist Church — 1786 – 1997 —
A devout Wesleyan Methodist and a Major in the British Army throughout the War of Independence, George Neal left the United States in pursuit of religious freedom and civil security. Landing in Queenston in 1786, Major Neal determined to spread the . . . — Map (db m139905) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Roy TerraceBirthplace of the Falls
Roy Terrace here and Eldridge Terrace, the niche visible on the U.S. side at the same height, mark the level of glacial Lake Iroquois (Lake Ontario). When the Wisconsin glacier receded about 12,000 years ago, the Falls of Niagara were born here, . . . — Map (db m139994) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Sheaffe's Path to Victory
Sheaffe's Path to Victory October 13th 1812 — Map (db m53530) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Sir Isaac Brock(1769 – 1812)
This British officer, “the hero of Upper Canada,” led the successful defense of the province early in the War of 1812. Appointed commander of military forces in 1810, he organized the militia and prepared the colony for possible war with . . . — Map (db m140079) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Sir Roger Hale Sheaffe1763 - 1851
On October 13, 1812, following Isaac Brock's death in a preceding assault, Major-General Sheaffe assumed command and led a successful attack which dislodged an invading American force from Queenston Heights. Born in Boston, Mass., Sheaffe was . . . — Map (db m49161) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — The "Colored Corps" 1812 - 1815
[Side of Marker Using English Text]: When the War of 1812 began, people of African descent in the Niagara peninsular feared an American invasion. They were anxious to preserve their freedom and prove their loyalty to Britain. Many joined . . . — Map (db m49162) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — The Battle of Queenston HeightsLa Batatille des Hauteurs de Queenston
In the early morning of 13 October 1812, American troops under Major-General Stephen Van Rensellaer crossed the Niagara River and took possession of Queenston Heights. Major-General Isaac Brock hurried from Fort George to lead a small force against . . . — Map (db m48908) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — The Battle of Queenston HeightsThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour
The Battle of Queenston Heights The village below you and the heights on which you are standing were the stage for the famous Battle of Queenston Heights. It took place during the Anglo-American conflict 1812-1815 known as the . . . — Map (db m51682) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — 4 — The Counter-Offensive Takes ShapeThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 4 of the 5-Stop Walking Tour —
The Niagara escarpment rises above you. The British reinforcements arriving here from Fort George, in battle dress and exhausted from a "double quick march", struggled up this slope some distance to your right. While the Americans controlled . . . — Map (db m55533) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — 5 — The Decisive BattleThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 5 of the 5-stop walking tour —
On the plateau before you, the British and Americans met for battle. The British formed a line to your right, the Americans to your left. General Sheaffe formed a British counter-offensive force of nine hundred men in a line shoulder to shoulder. . . . — Map (db m55028) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — The Founding of Queenston
Following the loss, after the American Revolution of the Niagara River's east bank, a new portage around Niagara Falls was established in the 1780s' with Queenston its northern terminous. Wharves, storehouses and a block-house were built. Robert . . . — Map (db m51621) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — The Niagara Escarpment
Queenston Heights is part of the Niagara escarpment. A height of land which extends 725 kilometers across Ontario from Niagara Falls to Manitoulin Island. Over 430 million years ago, a shallow tropical sea covered most of central North America. . . . — Map (db m51623) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — The Queenston Baptist Church
By 1808 the Rev. Elkanah Holmes, a missionary from the United States, had organized the first Baptist congregation in Queenston. Following the war of 1812 the congregation declined, was reorganized in 1831 and between 1842 and 1845 erected the . . . — Map (db m51627) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — 2 — The Treacherous River CliffThe Battle of Queenston Heights Walking Tour — Stop 2 of the 5-stop walking tour —
"An unguarded trail up this steep cliff was the only route which the Americans had to the heights of Queenston. The trail was to your right but does not exist any longer. Trapped on the river shore by unrelenting gunfire, the Americans contemplated . . . — Map (db m55030) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Anglican Church, St. Catharines(1795 - 1836)
On this site stood the Anglican chapel, St. Catharines (1795 - 1836), the first public building in the community. The name St. Catharines became associated with the community and the church. By 1797 a log school house was situated just east of this . . . — Map (db m76085) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — BME ChurchNational Historic Site
[Text on left side of marker]: The Salem Chapel, British Methodist Episcopal Church was the first Black church in St. Catharines. Originally known as the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the name was changed to reflect their loyalty . . . — Map (db m75867) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Bollard
Bollards, used to secure ropes from a ship, are found all along the canal. Most were plain and serviceable. This bollard, made from polished carved limestone and placed on a base, was a prototype for possible use along the present canal. Though . . . — Map (db m76086) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Bollards & FairleadsMooring
Bollards and Fairleads are used to control the lines (rope and cables) used to tie up a ship. Bollards are steel or concrete posts, on land and on a ship, used to secure a vessel. Vessels travelling through the Welland Canal are tied up in each . . . — Map (db m76088) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Cannon Barrel
In 1960, the Lincoln Historical Society (now the St. Catharines Historical Society) recovered this cannon barrel from the banks of Twelve Mile Creek, formerly the route of the First and Second Welland Canals. It had been buried in the area under the . . . — Map (db m76089) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — City Hall 1937St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
Built on the site of the previous City Hall, this building was officially opened in August 1937 and was a hallmark of what was hailed as the dawn of a new era. The previous building, known as Benson House, was a former home that had been used as a . . . — Map (db m76295) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Early Welland Canals
The modern Welland Canal is actually the fourth version to be built since 1829. Unlike the later government-operated canals, the First Welland Canal was built by a private company. The outline on the ground represents a typical lock from the . . . — Map (db m76090) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Harriet Ross Tubman c. 1820-1913
A legendary conductor on the Underground Railroad, Harriet Tubman became known as the "Moses" of her people. Tubman was born into slavery on a Maryland plantation and suffered brutal treatment from numerous owners before escaping in 1849. Over the . . . — Map (db m75868) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), St. Catharines — Harriet Tubman
After the passing of the USA 1850 Fugitive Slave Law she said, "I wouldn't trust Uncle Sam with my people no longer: I brought them all clear off to Canada." — Map (db m75869) HM

239 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 39
Paid Advertisement