Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Riverside County California Historical Markers

 
Jacob Bergman Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Kindig, September 11, 2010
Jacob Bergman Marker
California (Riverside County), Aguanga — 15 — Jacob Bergman1832 - 1894
Gracious Host Station Keeper Stage Driver U.S. Trooper "A house beside the road - A friend to man" — Map (db m78595) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — 63 — Hamilton School, Anza
Until the 1880s, James Hamilton was among the very first homesteaders in the Cahuilla Plains or Hamilton Plains, now Anza, and was a highly respected pioneer who overcame many obstacles in his life, including prejudice. The Hamilton School District . . . — Map (db m50709) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — 20 — Juan Diego Flats
In this valley a conflict between the culture of the Indian and the white man resulted in the death of Juan Diego (Alessandro of the play Romona) by the hands of Sam Temple. — Map (db m78591) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — CHL 103 — San Carlos Pass
On March 16, 1774, Juan Bautista de Anza, Indian fighter, explorer, and colonizer, led through this pass (named by him San Carlos) the first white explorers to cross the mountains into California. The party traveled from Tubac, Arizona, to Monterey, . . . — Map (db m101556) HM
California (Riverside County), Banning — 60 — Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse
Built in 1915, the Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse is a frame building in the classical revival style with a plain entablature, simple doric columns, and palladian windows, as well as providing a meeting place for the woman's club, the socal and . . . — Map (db m50710) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 73 — 390th Bomb Group (H)Activated at Blythe Army Air Base
Blythe Army Air Base was constructed during 1942 to train heavy bomber crews. 127 officers and men recevied orders in February 1943, to form 4 squadrons of the 390th Bombardment Group (H). The 390th B-17s joined the 8th Air Force in England . . . — Map (db m78572) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 948 — Blythe Intake
On July 17, 1877, Thomas Blythe, a San Francisco financier, filed the first legal claim for Colorado River water rights. Oliver Callaway planned a diversion dam and canal which opened in 1877 to irrigate the Palo Verde Valley. This made possible the . . . — Map (db m50678) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 127 — Desert Strike
In May 1964, U.S. Strike Command (STRICOM) launched the largest military war game since World War II. Known as Joint Exercise Desert Strike, this two-week training exercise simulated a nuclear air and ground battle between the mythical governments . . . — Map (db m78531) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 101 — Giant Desert Figures
Times of origin and meaning of these giant figures, the largest 167 feet long, smallest 95 feet, remains a mystery. There are three figures, two of animals and a coiled serpent, and some interesting lines. [Panel #1] Blythe . . . — Map (db m50992) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — Palo Verde Irrigation District Diversion Dam1957 – 2007
Dedicated to the many pioneers that recognized the potential and value to our Valley of a gravity irrigation system, and the sacrifices made obtaining it. In particular, to honor the following three persons, whose contributions uniquely . . . — Map (db m39444) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 49 — Taylor's Ferry
When Jim Taylor acquired his ferry in 1922, he had just completed his connecting, hand-made highway on both sides of the Colorado River. His plan to attract the Los Angeles to Phoenix traffic had faded with the continued success of the . . . — Map (db m78584) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 11 — Wiley Well
A.P. Wiley, storekeeper and postmaster at Palo Verde, financed miners to prospect this area early in the1900s. He also financed the first well, approximately 9 miles southerly of here, it was used and maintained for years by prospectors and . . . — Map (db m50671) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 33-barreled OrgansLeonardo da Vinci Weapons of War & Invention
The way Leonardo da Vinci saw it, the problem with cannons of the time was that they took far to long to load. His solution to that problem was to build multi-barreled guns that could be loaded and fired simultaneously. This idea forms the . . . — Map (db m99299) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — California-Arizona Maneuver AreaHeadquarters of General George Patton — 1942
Training troops in desert warfare in preparation for Operation "Torch." The invasion of German held North Africa. The world's largest military installation, training 60 divisions and more than one million soldiers. — Map (db m99284) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 106 — Camp Young AirstripCamp Young - Headquarters — Desert Training Center California-Arizona Maneuver Area
The Camp Young Airstrip was established at this site in March 1942 by order of General George S. Patton. It was used to provide Camp Young with supplies and other essential material. It supported air transportation for the command staff of the . . . — Map (db m78550) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — CannonsLeonardo da Vinci Weapons of War & Invention
It was in 1346 that the English first used cannons which, propelled by exploding gunpowder, fired stone balls. Despite this, progress in that area of military weaponry was not fast, and it was here Leonardo's particularly applied his thinking. This . . . — Map (db m99298) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — CatapultsLeonardo da Vinci Weapons of War & Invention
The basic design of the catapult had been in use for hundreds of years before da Vinci embarked on improving it. He actually came up with different models. This particular design used a double leaf spring to produce an enormous amount of energy in . . . — Map (db m99294) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — Coachella Valley RecipientsCongressional Medal of Honor Recipients — United States of America
“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty..” Colonel Mitchell Paige, U.S. Marine Corps, October 26, 1942 • Hospital Corpsman First Class Robert E. Bush, U.S. Navy, May 2, 1945 • . . . — Map (db m108612) WM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 985 — Desert Training CenterCalifornia Arizona Maneuver Area
The D.T.C was established by Major General George S. Patton Jr. in response to a need to train American combat troops for battle in North Africa during World War II. The camp, which began operation in 1942 covered 18,000 square miles. It was the . . . — Map (db m50700) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 94 — Desert Training CenterCalifornia-Arizona Maneuver Area — Veterans Memorial
This monument is dedicated to the men and women of the United States Army who were trained here at the Desert Training Center during World War II. — Map (db m78559) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — Romero PassBradshaw-Grant Pass
California-Arizona Route 1824 — Map (db m99274) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — Scythed ChariotsLeonardo da Vinci Weapons of War & Invention
There are several designs for horse-drawn scythed chariots among Leonardo's sketches. The first involved the use of four large scythes which were mounted in a manner similar to helicopter blades. Leonardo was a peaceable man who despised war, . . . — Map (db m99297) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 992 — Site of Contractors General Hospital
In 1933, Dr. Sidney R. Garfield opened Contractors General Hospital six miles west of here. His modest facility successfully delivered health care to Colorado River Aqueduct workers through a prepaid insurance plan. Later, in association with . . . — Map (db m81829) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 113 — The Chiriaco Family
Joseph L. Chiriaco came to California from Alabama in 1925. His work as a surveyor for the Los Angeles Bureau of Water and Power and later for the Metropolitan Water District on the Colorado River aqueduct, begun in 1931, brought him to the desert . . . — Map (db m78543) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — The Desert Training Center
[This is a four sided monument displaying three different markers:] Front - Facing West: Desert Training Center * Camp Young * Maj. Gen. George S. Patton Jr., U.S. Army, selected Camp Young as headquarters site for the Desert . . . — Map (db m32139) HM
California (Riverside County), Chuckwalla — 149 — 36th Evacuation Hospital (SM)
During the opening days of the World War II, more than 18,000 square miles of the Arizona and California desert were designated by the U.S. Army as a military training facility. The facility, conceived by General George Patton and referred to as the . . . — Map (db m78512) HM
California (Riverside County), Chuckwalla — 148 — Coxcomb Divisional CampCamp Coxcomb — Desert Training Center, California-Arizona Maneuver Area
Camp Coxcomb was established at this site in the Spring of 1942. It was one of fifteen such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. The Desert Training Center . . . — Map (db m78513) HM
California (Riverside County), Chuckwalla — 87 — Shaver's Well
Dedicated to the man behind the well John Shaver 1854 - 1935 — Map (db m78565) HM
California (Riverside County), Chuckwalla — 53 — Young Divisional CampCamp Young Headquarters Desert Training Center — California-Arizona Maneuver Area
Camp Young, named after Lt. Gen. S.B.M. Young, the 1st Army Chief of Staff, was established at this site in the Spring of 1942. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States Troops for service to . . . — Map (db m78581) HM
California (Riverside County), Coachella — Veterans Remembrance MemorialCoachella Valley Cemetery
Wall of Honor These Stars are Dedicated to the Veterans of Riverside County who were awarded the Medal of Honor by the President of the United States. These Recipients performed with Valor and Heroism “Above and Beyond” the . . . — Map (db m114707) WM
California (Riverside County), Coachella — Water Trough
This water trough was constructed on the Southern Pacific Railroad property along Cantaloup Avenue for watering teams of horses hauling cantaloupes and onions. It replaced a wooden trough on Front Street used in the early industry of shipping . . . — Map (db m113032) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 738 — Corona Founders
R. B. Taylor, George L. Joy, Samuel Merrill, A. S. Garretson, and Adolph Rimpau, having purchased lands of the La Sierra Rancho of Bernardo Yorba and the El Temescal Grant of Leandro Serrano on May 4, 1886, founded the citrus colony and town of . . . — Map (db m82151) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 12 — Corona Historic Preservation SocietyCorona Foothill Lemon Ranch — Historic Site #12
Established in 1911 by S.B. Hampton, this was the center of 2,000 acres of groves, the largest single lemon ranch in California. The remaining headquarters and surrounding buildings were converted to Corona Heritage Park & Museum Dec. 7, 2000 by a . . . — Map (db m105188) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 638 — Old Temescal Road
This route was used by Luiseño and Gabrieleño Indians, whose villages were nearby. Leandro Serrano established a home here in 1820. Jackson and Warner traveled the road in 1831, and Frémont in 1848. It was the southern emigrant road for gold seekers . . . — Map (db m82468) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 186 — Serrano Tanning Vats
Nearby, two vats were built in 1819 by the Luiseño Indians under the direction of Leandro Serrano, first non-Indian settler in what is now Riverside County. The vats were used in making leather from cow hides. In 1981 the vats were restored and . . . — Map (db m50643) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 188 — Site of Butterfield Stage Station
Where mail was delivered, horses changed and passengers given rest and a meal. First stage carrying overland mail left Tipton, Missouri on Sept. 15, 1858 and, passing through Temescal arrived in Los Angeles onOct. 7, 1858. First dedicated by . . . — Map (db m82155) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — CHL 185 — Site of First House in Riverside CountySerrano Boulder
Built about 1824 by Leandro Serrano — Map (db m56629) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 224 — Site of Third Serrano Adobe
Nearby, an adobe house was built about 1867. It was occupied until 1898 by Leandro Serrano's widow, Josefa. Under Spanish law, she owned the surrounding 20,000-acre Rancho Temescal; but her ownership was denied by the US Supreme Court. — Map (db m50645) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — Tanning Vat
Tanning Vat Built in 1819 by Leonardo Serrano Site Restored by TR 172 El Capitan Dist. BSA — Map (db m51463) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — Barren or BountifulJoshua Tree National Park
It seems to me that the strangest and wonder of existence are emphasized here, in the desert, by the comparative sparcity of the flora and fauna: life not crowded upon life…with a generous gift of space for each herb and bush and tree, each stem . . . — Map (db m92513) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — 14 — Corn Springs
Mortar holes and rock paintings mark this as a one time Indian habitation. Gold and silver prospectors found the spring flowing as late as the 1920s. One of them, Gus Lederer, gave up roving and became known as "Mayor of Corn Springs." He lived in a . . . — Map (db m63887) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — 41 — Eagle Mountain Iron
The Iron Chief, Black Eagle and other mines produced gold at Eagle Mountain between 1881 and 1900 from ores containing as much as 54 per cent iron. L.S. Barnes secured options and sold the mines to Southern Pacific Railroad in 1909. Kaiser Steel . . . — Map (db m63840) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — 11 — Gus Lederer 1868-1932
Prospector Burro Fancier Vegetable Gardener "Mayor of Corn Springs" — Map (db m78596) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — Where Are The Joshua Trees?Joshua Tree National Park
A common question asked by visitors entering Joshua Tree National Park through the southern entrance is “Where are the Joshua trees?” Sometime the Mojave yucca, a close relative is mistaken, for a Joshua tree. The reality is that Joshua . . . — Map (db m92514) HM
California (Riverside County), Fontana — 93 — Fontana Farms CompanyCamp No. 1, Foreman's Ranch House — In Operation, 1905-1941
Joe McKamie alerted Fontana Historical Society about Camp. Ora Scott provided interest free loan of $10,000 and City of Fontana gave down payment of $3,000 to save house. Society acquired ownership title to house on November 22, 1978. Restoration . . . — Map (db m50717) HM
California (Riverside County), Hemet — 1009 — "Ramona"
Within this valley was laid part of the scene, and here resided a number of the characters portrayed in Helen Hunt Jackson's historical novel, "Ramona", which depicted life and presented the status of the Indians of many great ranchos in early . . . — Map (db m50997) HM
California (Riverside County), Hemet — 557 — Hemet Maze Stone
This pictograph, representing a maze is an outstanding example of the work of prehistoric peoples. It, with 575 acres of land was donated to Riverside County as a county park on April 16, 1955 by Mr. and Mrs. Roger E. Miller. — Map (db m50993) HM
California (Riverside County), Hemet — 104 — Pochea Indian Village Site
Pochea was one of cluster of Indian villages forming the very large settlement of Pahsitna which extended along the ridge east and west of Ramona Bowl. Pahsitnah was thriving when the Spanish first passed by in 1774. A tragic story tells of the . . . — Map (db m50668) HM
California (Riverside County), Highgrove — 24 — Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant
The first commercially significant hydroelectric plant in California, designed and built by Gustavus Olivio Newman, went into service here in 1888. Utilizing the flow of the Riverside Water Company Canal to produce about 225 kilowatts of power used . . . — Map (db m50704) HM
California (Riverside County), Indian Wells — Dwight David EisenhowerOctober 14, 1890 - March 28, 1969 — Early Years
Dwight David Eisenhower, born on October 14, 1890, the third of six sons to a modest family in Denison, Texas, was raised in Abilene, Kansas. He excelled in baseball and football in high school. Eisenhower saw education as a way to better himself . . . — Map (db m82137) HM WM
California (Riverside County), Indian Wells — Eisenhower Mountain
Eisenhower Mountain towers 1,952 feet above Eldorado Country Club, the oldest residential country club in Indian Wells, and the desert home of President and Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower. "Ike" and Mamie spent many winters beneath the peak, . . . — Map (db m113069) HM
California (Riverside County), Indian Wells — Eisenhower Walk of HonorMedal of Honor Memorial
The Eisenhower Walk of Honor allows all of us to recall the debt of gratitude owed to ordinary people for extraordinary acts of patriotism and courage. Men and women doing their duty for their country, honorably and with integrity. This tribute . . . — Map (db m114773) HM WM
California (Riverside County), Indian Wells — Indian Wells
Honoring the memory of the early Cahuillan Indian Clans who dug the Indian well 400 feet back of this monument, and the pioneer settlers, prospectors and stage line passengers who camped at the county well, located 50 feet back of this monument. The . . . — Map (db m82466) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 131 — 1909 Indio Schoolhouse
This K-8 one room schoolhouse, once known as the Indio Public School, was the second school building to be erected in the area that is now Indio. Originally situated on the Southeast corner of Bliss and Fargo, it was later moved behind the original . . . — Map (db m78528) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 116 — Dr. June Robertson McCarroll
Dr. June Robertson McCarroll was born June 30, 1867 in the Adirondacks and began her medical career in Chicago. She left a promising practice for Indio in 1904. Becoming the sole practicing physician for the entire Coachella Valley. She traveled by . . . — Map (db m78540) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — History of Electricity in the Coachella Valley
The Coachella Valley's developing agricultural industry created a need for electric services. Substation were located next to cold storage houses, providing power to preserve the Valley's bountiful produce. In 1943, the Imperial Irrigation District . . . — Map (db m113068) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — Jimmy Swaggart's "Date"
On this date, Oct 11, 1991, Reverend Jimmy Swaggart picked up a "Date" at Clark's Travel Center. — Map (db m55139) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 65 — Smiley Place
In 1926 Smiley Place was built by Dr. Harry W. Smiley. It served as the first medical office in Indio, as well as a residence for he and his wife, Frances. The Smiley's made significant contributions to the social and medical development of the . . . — Map (db m50728) HM
California (Riverside County), March Air Reserve Base — United States of America Medal Of Honor Memorial
...For Conspicuous Gallantry and Intrepidity at the Risk of Life Above and Beyond the Call of Duty... — Map (db m72639) WM
California (Riverside County), Mecca — 84 — The Salton Sea
Once connected to the Gulf of California, waters within the Salton Basin extended nearly to Palm Springs. Because of deposits from the silt laden Colorado River, the north end of the gulf (now in Imperial County) was sealed off and Lake Cahuilla was . . . — Map (db m78567) HM
California (Riverside County), Mira Loma — 66 — Galleano Winery
The Galleano Winery is the oldest winemaking operation in Riverside County. In 1927 Domenico Galleano pruchased the ranch from Col. Esteban Cantu, Governor of Baja California (1915-1920), including this house which dates from the 1890s. The barn, . . . — Map (db m50714) HM
California (Riverside County), Mountain Center — 122 — Historic Lake Hemet Dam
Construction on Lake Hemet Dam began in 1891 and was completed four years later on October of 1895. It stood at 122.5 feet and was the largest solid masonry dam in the world. A title it held for sixteen years. Building of the dam itself was not . . . — Map (db m78534) HM
California (Riverside County), Mountain Center — 132 — Kenworthy
Lured by the promise of rich gold ore in the nearby Tahquitz Mining District, Harold Kenworthy arrived in Hemet Valley (now Garner Valley) in 1896 to establish the mining town he called Kenworthy. It was a thriving community with a store, hotel, . . . — Map (db m78527) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Desert — Palm Desert Historical Society Vietnam War Memorial
In Memoriam In Deep Appreciation of These Courageous Young Americans From the Coachella Valley Who Have Made the Supreme Sacrifice. Killed In Action Vietnam P.F.C. Dennis Read — Army Spl./4th Class, Edwarxd Angiano . . . — Map (db m113335) WM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — 044 — Desert Inn — County of Riverside Historical Marker No. 044
On this site in 1908, Nellie N. Coffman (1867-1950), husband Harry and two sons, George Roberson and Earl Coffman established a small health resort hotel, Desert Inn. Her ability, determination, and charm extended the resorts reputation and people . . . — Map (db m113078) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-29 — Dr. Smith / Dr. Peppers Office
This small Spanish Eclectic structure was the northernmost residence in the village of Palm Springs when it was built in the 1920s. As the city grew, there was an increasing need for community services, especially along "Main Street," and Dr. Smith . . . — Map (db m82141) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-7 — Frances S. Stevens School
Prescott T. Stevens, developer of the El Mirador Hotel, donated this site and the funds to build the Frances S. Stevens School, in memory of his wife and her interest in education. The first two rooms were completed in 1927. Katherine Finchy, who . . . — Map (db m82139) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-26 — General Telephone Building
This structure was built c. 1934 by the California Water & Telephone Company as a business office and switching center. It was purchased by General Telephone in 1967 and continued as a switching center until 1984. The structure is constructed of . . . — Map (db m52738) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-9 — Lykken’s Department Store
Desert pioneer, Carl Lykken, built the first general store in the village in 1914. For many years it contained the only telephone and the post office. The store was remodeled with the existing overhang and arches when sidewalks were installed in the . . . — Map (db m52734) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-5 — McCallum House
The McCallum Adobe, the oldest remaining building in Palm Springs was built in 1885 for John and Emily McCallum, the areas first white settlers. Originally constructed on the corner of Palm Canyon Drive and Tahquitz Way, and later a part of the . . . — Map (db m52731) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-10 — Oasis Hotel
The Oasis Hotel, constructed 1923-25, contained approximately 20 units and included the Tower Building, the only three story hotel building in Palms Springs for many years. The 40 foot tower, with its pyramidal roof, provided access to the . . . — Map (db m52742) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-22A — Plaza Theatre
The Plaza Theatre opened in December 1936 with a screening of "Camille", a tragic love story starring Robert Taylor and Greta Garbo; actor Ralph Bellamy served as master of ceremonies for this event which attracted about 40 Hollywood celebrities. . . . — Map (db m82142) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-11 — Site of First Community Church
This is the site of the first community church in Palm Springs. Welwood Murray donated the land in 1906 and the little church stood as a landmark in the village until 1934. The existing Carnell Building designed by Harold Williams was completed in . . . — Map (db m52736) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-8 — Street Marker
This is one of the original street markers used following the incorporation of the City of Palm Springs in 1938. Dr. J. J. Kocher and Philip Boyd, then secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, had renamed the streets in 1930 at which time Main Avenue . . . — Map (db m82140) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — 31 — The Cork'n Bottle BuildingBuilt 1935-36
A rare example of a Depression Era Art Modern style building in Palm Springs. The double and triple bands of horizontal 'streamline' moldings, flat unembellished blocky wall surfaces, and symmetrical façade are characteristics of the Art Modern . . . — Map (db m52737) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — The Hot Springs
The Kausik Cahuilla are the owners of one of California's most famous hot springs. This natural resource provided them with permanent, palatable mineral waters which were used for curing, drinking, and agriculture. It also was a direct access to . . . — Map (db m113072) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — RIV-025 — The Original Palm Springs
The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (Boiling Water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (Hot Water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians . . . — Map (db m113076) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPS-13 — Welwood Murray Memorial Library
In 1938 George Welwood Murray donated this land to provide for a library as a memorial to his father, Welwood Murray, pioneer hotel operator. Cornelia white donated an additional strip of property on the eastern end of the site. The existing . . . — Map (db m52732) HM
California (Riverside County), Pine Cove — 26 — Speed-of-Light Experiment
From this location instruments reflected light in 1926 to Mount Wilson, 82 miles northwest. The work was one of a series of experiments conducted by Nobel Prize-winning scientist Dr. Albert A Michelson to refine the value of the speed of light. . . . — Map (db m50697) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 787 — De Anza Crossing of the Santa Ana River1775 and 1776
On January 1, 1776, the first party of colonists to come overland to the Pacific Coast crossed the Santa Ana River south of this marker and camped between here and the river. Recruited in the presidios of Sonora, Mexico, and led by Lt. Col. Juan . . . — Map (db m50995) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 943 — Jensen-Alvarado Ranch
Danish sea captain Cornelius Jensen sailed to San Francisco during the Gold Rush to sell his cargo. In 1854 he settled in Agua Mansa, established a store, and married Mercedes Alvarado, a descendant of a pioneer Californio family. The Jensens . . . — Map (db m50685) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 761 — Mission Inn
Frank A. Miller (1857-1935) made adobe bricks for a small 12 room guest house which he opened in 1876. Over the years by successive building additions he fulfilled his dream by recreating this early California Mission style setting of a hotel. — Map (db m50994) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — No. 26 — Mount Rubidoux
With the backing of Southern Pacific Railroad magnate Henry E. Huntington, Mount Rubidoux was purchased by Frank Miller of the Mission Inn in 1906. In an attempt to beautify the mountain and to sell residential lots at its base, a road was built and . . . — Map (db m120431) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — National POW MIA Memorial
We honor here the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of Americans held prisoner of war, and those still listed as Missing In Action since the time of the American Revolution. Some died from disease and starvation, some perished in death marches, . . . — Map (db m54380) WM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 20 — Parent Washington Navel Orange Tree
To honor Mrs. Eliza Tibbets, and to commend her good work in planting at Riverside in 1873 The First Washington Navel Orange Trees in California, native to Bahia Brazil, proved the most valuable fruit introduction yet made . . . — Map (db m50991) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — The First Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California
To Commemorate the introduction of the first Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California, brought to Riverside from Lakeland, Florida in 1890 by Twogood and Cutter, pioneer nurserymen, and to honor J.E. Cutter who planted here one of those first trees. — Map (db m82144) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to eulogize the sacrifices of American Veterans. It is to commemorate them, their comrades, their personal and emotional sacrifices, and to acknowledge those Americans who have lost loved ones in the service . . . — Map (db m54379) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — War Dog Memorial
. . . — Map (db m54430) HM
California (Riverside County), Rubidoux — 51 — Robidoux Grist Mill Site
In 1846 the first grist mill in this region was built nearby by Louis Robidoux, owner of this section of Rancho Jurupa. The mill provided flour, a popular but scarce commodity, for settlers and American troops. The mill was washed away by a flood in . . . — Map (db m50677) HM
California (Riverside County), San Jacinto — 989 — Soviet Transpolar Landing Site
Three miles west of this site, on July 14, 1937, three Soviet aviators completed a transpolar flight from Moscow in 62 hours, 17 minutes, establishing a new world's nonstop distance record of 6,305 miles. The huge single-engine aircraft, an ANT-25 . . . — Map (db m50706) HM
California (Riverside County), San Jacinto — 43 — Transpolar Record Flight Site
Near this site on July 14, 1937, three Russian aviators completed a transpolar flight from Moscow in 62 hrs, 17 min establishing a new world's nonstop distance record of 6,305 miles. The huge single-engine aircraft, an ANT-25 military reconnaissance . . . — Map (db m50681) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — #3 — First National Bank
Built in 1912 by Eli Barnett. Completed in 1914, the Temecula bank was locally owned and known as the "Pawn Shop" by its rancher directors. The bank was robbed on August 13th, 1930. The robber was promptly captured by townspeople and the loot was . . . — Map (db m26202) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — 128 — Heart o' the Hills
[Upper Marker] Here, before his death in 1927, Murray Schloss collected 2500 acres for a utopian community E Clampus Vitus Billy Holcomb Chapter 1973 [Lower Marker] Re-Dedicated by The Billy Holcomb . . . — Map (db m78530) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — The Great Oak
This is the place of the Great Oak or Wi’ia$ha (We-awsh-ah). The great oak is a member of the wi’ia$al or Coast Live Oak Family (Quercus Agrifolia). Estimates range anywhere from 500 to 2000 years old. The Great Oak continues to attract people to . . . — Map (db m36210) HM
California (Riverside County), Thermal — Jacqueline CochranFirst Woman to Break the Sound Barrier
monument front: Jacqueline Cochran (1906-1980) Woman Pilot, Record Setter, WASP, Ninety-Nine First Woman to Break the Sound Barrier Charter Member of the Coachella Valley Chapter of Ninety-Nines Jackie Cochran . . . — Map (db m114556) HM
California (Riverside County), Thermal — RIV-042 — Martinez Indian Agency
Three structures here - a school, agency building and residence, are believed to be the oldest standing U.S. Indian Agency buildings in California. They were built about 1907 by the Martinez Agency, established in 1876. The first written record of . . . — Map (db m113028) HM
California (Riverside County), Whitewater — RIV-003 — Whitewater
Site of Cahuilla Indian Village of Wanapiapa, home of the Wanakik Lineage. Visited by Jose Romero Expedition exploring overland route from Sonora to California 1823. Eastern boundary of Rancho San Gorgonio. Adobe south of highway served as Stage . . . — Map (db m126302) HM

97 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.