The city of Franklin housed a library of 1,000 volumes in its City Hall before 1913. In February that year, Franklin Mayor R. M. Cole (1848-1931) applied to the Carnegie Corporation of New York for funds to build a new library. The Carnegie . . . — — Map (db m119605) HM
Settled by people from Tennessee under an 1822 contract held by Sterling Clack Robertson (1785-1842), who later signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Colony and county were named for him. County was created Dec. 14, 1837, organized March . . . — — Map (db m119604) HM
Erected in 1882 at a cost of $30,000, this white limestone building is the fourth to serve as Robertson County Courthouse.
In 1879 the county seat had been moved for the fifth time, to Morgan, on the International & Great Northern Railroad. But . . . — — Map (db m119606) HM
During the Second World War, Allied troops captured large numbers of Axis soldiers and transported them to prisoner of war camps established throughout the United States. More than 70 camps in Texas housed some 50,000 prisoners. In March 1942, Herne . . . — — Map (db m84665) HM
Founded by German, Prussian, and Swiss immigrants in 1881, New Baden was named for the German town of Baden-Baden. The immigrants built a central building known as the Colony House to provide lodging for families while homes were under construction. . . . — — Map (db m119603) HM