Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
Robeson County North Carolina Historical Markers
By J. J. Prats, March 1, 2017
Angus W. McLean and John Willis Markers
Governor, 1925–1929, Assistant Secretary of the United States Treasury, 1920–1921. Home is 1 mile south, grave 100 yards N.W. — — Map (db m102258) HM
Robeson County’s first Hebrew congregation was established on this site circa 1908. — — Map (db m5295) HM
In 1912 Robeson County established first rural health department in U.S. three blocks N. — — Map (db m5256) HM
Founder of Lumberton, captain in Revolution, later brigadier general; member of legislature, conventions of 1788, ’89. Plantation was here. — — Map (db m102264) HM
1787–1987. On August 14, 1787, John Willis deeded to the Lumberton Lottery Managers 170 acres of land, “being the well known as Red Bluff where the courts are held,” to be sold in lots for the creation of the Town of Lumberton. . . . — — Map (db m5230) HM
Est. 1881 for blacks by Lumber River Bapt. Assoc. Boarding school; trained teachers; named for A.H. Thompson. Succeeded here by public school in 1942. — — Map (db m102272) HM
Governor, 1925-1929, assistant secretary, U.S. Treasury, 1920-1921. His birthplace was 4 mi. N. — — Map (db m31314) HM
Operated by Methodist Church, 1911-1926. Site used by Presbyterian Jr. College, 1929-1960; Carolina Military Academy, 1962-1972. One block S. — — Map (db m31327) HM
One of earliest colleges for women in the South, 1841-78. Centre Presbyterian Church, formerly the college chapel, is 150 yards north. — — Map (db m31305) HM
Baptist churches serving Lumbee and other tribes. Association was formed in 1881 at Burnt Swamp Church, then 2½ mi. N. — — Map (db m102256) HM
Established in 1887 to educate teachers of Indian youth. It was the forerunner of UNC-Pembroke. Building was 2/10 mile east. — — Map (db m102210) HM
Indian. Champion of the poor. Declared outlaw, he eluded capture and dissapeared in swamps, circa 1872. House 3 miles northwest. — — Map (db m102211) HM
Sponsored legislation in 1885 establishing public schools for Indians of Robeson County. In 1887 he introduced legislation to establish Croatan Normal School — now Pembroke State University. — — Map (db m102253) HM
Established 1887 as the State Normal School for Indians. Since 1972 a campus of The University of North Carolina. — — Map (db m102216) HM
Presbyterian. Founded in 1896. Closed 1961. Merged to create St. Andrews College. Was located 1 mi. east. — — Map (db m31286) HM
After the Tory victory at McPhaul's Mill, the Whigs routed the Tories near here on Oct. 15, 1781, and broke their resistance in this area. — — Map (db m31294) HM
Union center of worship, originally 2½ miles N.W. Presbyterians withdrew in 1796 and organized their own church here. 1860 building, 300 yds. W. — — Map (db m70333) HM 17 markers matched your search criteria.
We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.