The white-painted steel structure in front of you is a sculpture representing the bow and stern of the six-mast schooner Wyoming, the largest wooden vessel built in the United States. The sculpture stands where the schooner was built in . . . — — Map (db m52033) HM
The white-painted steel structure in front of you is a sculpture representing the six-mast schooner Wyoming, the largest wooden vessel built in the United States. The sculpture stands where the schooner was built in 1909, but somewhat closer . . . — — Map (db m52038) HM
Known locally as "BIW" or "The Yard," Bath Iron Works has been building ships on the same site since 1890. Over 420 vessels have been built there, including cargo vessels, fishing vessels, yachts, tugs, barges, and naval vessels. Between 1984 and . . . — — Map (db m52032) HM
The Seth Thomas Clock Co. manufactured this timepiece in 1911 and only a few of their two-dial clocks remain. This clock retains its original mechanical operation.
In 1915, Fred Cox, owner of Hallet’s Drug Store, purchased the clock and moved it . . . — — Map (db m77085) HM
This marker has two plaques mounted on the same base
Family traditions built this city with blocks of charity.
The old city hall’s shortcomings had been obvious for years, but it took bequest of land and money by George Patten . . . — — Map (db m77084) HM
This marker has two plaques mounted on the same base The home of Kings once stood here.
In 1798 William King bought land in the new downtown, just starting on Shaw’s Point, and began to build a home close to the Kennebec River and . . . — — Map (db m77089) HM
In 1920, the Percy & Small shipyard did its last significant ship work. The steamer Winapie, built in New Hampshire during World War One, visited for conversion into a tank barge. The shipyard removed this three-compartment deckhouse, . . . — — Map (db m52056) HM
This major waterway, although in places still undeveloped, remains an important artery for water traffic. The river flows 164 miles from its source at Moosehead Lake to the Atlantic Ocean, 12 miles south of here at Popham. Kennebec is a Wabanaki . . . — — Map (db m52051) HM
Launching featured tradtion, ritual, spectators, and celebration. But it also brought technical challenge and danger to workers and vessel alike.
In preparation, a launching crew built a pair of sliding (or launching) ways beneath the . . . — — Map (db m52059) HM
This sturdy industrial building housed a sawmill for cutting and shaping ship timbers and planks, and a joiner shop for the finer woodworking that went into vessels' cabins, deckhouses, railings, and interiors.
In 1909, the shed addition on . . . — — Map (db m52084) HM
William T. Donnell married Henry P. Hitchcock's daughter Clara in 1860, and bought this house and shipyard from Clara's mother in 1869. The proximity of residence to workplace was unusual. From this house, W. T. Donnell overlooked his shipyard, . . . — — Map (db m52082) HM
The blacksmith shop was the first building constructed by Percy & Small after they purchased the old Blaisdell shipyard site from William Donnell in 1896. It was furnished with forges, bellows, and anvils for fabricating large quantities of . . . — — Map (db m52095) HM
Two building slips, or ways, were important features of the shipyard. The North Ways were prepared as a second building slip, on land purchased in a 1901 expansion. They measured at least 350' long by 50' wide - the largest wooden shipbuilding . . . — — Map (db m52053) HM
A good shipbuilding site has a natural 4° to 12° slope down to deep water.
Using this grade, building slips (ways) were constructed on cleared and graded areas. These were wooden foundations to accommodate the hull under construction and the . . . — — Map (db m52036) HM
This workshop was built in 1899 for Charles Oliver and his caulking gang. Here they stored their tools and some of the miles of oakum and cotton yard needed to make vessels' seams watertight. From the steps, Mr. Oliver could keep an eagle eye on . . . — — Map (db m52031) HM
At the fitting-out pier new vessels received their equipment and finishing work. This pier had a ramp built into its southern side, to land the large timbers and spars that were floated down the river from the railroad yards.
The original 1898 . . . — — Map (db m52048) HM
Design is the first step in shipbuilding, and it took place in a mould loft. Skilled modelers shaped the schooner's hull in miniature by carving a half-model. They scaled the model's lines full-size on the loft floor, then transferred these lines . . . — — Map (db m51988) HM
Caulkers used huge quantities of pitch to pay (or seal) the vessels' deck seams. In the kettles set into this freestanding brick oven, they melted crystallized pine resin over scrap-wood fires, which they carried in buckets to the decks of the . . . — — Map (db m52007) HM
The Percy & Small shipyard was electrified from its establishment in 1896. In 1909, the Sagadahoc Power & Light Company began delivering higher-voltage power to the shipyard on a separate industrial line. The transformer stepped down the voltage . . . — — Map (db m52083) HM
Eight soldiers were needed to fire each of the huge cannons that were once here, including a chief of detachment (who gave the commands), a gunner, and six cannoneers.
The steps in firing the cannon are shown here. The gunner is indicated by . . . — — Map (db m52117) HM
Since construction commenced in 1861, the entrance to the Kennebec River has been guarded by Fort Popham, a Civil War era fort that was built to protect the shipbuilding interests in the upriver City of Bath, as well as the state capital in . . . — — Map (db m52096) HM
Fort Popham is a Third System style granite fort built by the U.S. War Department beginning in 1862. Modifications were made and the fort was used again in the Spanish American War and in World War 1. Another fort, probably wooden, existed here and . . . — — Map (db m52097) HM
Since before Columbus discovered the New World, the Kennebec River has been the scene of settlement and conflict. While Fort Halifax represents the most northern military outpost in the region, it is only one of more than twenty forts that have . . . — — Map (db m52195) HM
Percival P. Baxter
Governor of Maine
who arranged for the purchase of this and other forts from the Federal Government.
Fort Popham, with 6,73 acres of land was valued at $6,600.
Fort Baldwin, with 45.13 acres of . . . — — Map (db m52196) HM
In Memory of Those Who Served
April 19, 1775 to September 3, 1783
April 12, 1861 to May 26, 1865
Spanish American War
April 25, 1898 to August 12, 1898
Phippsburg Honor Roll
Let it be . . . — — Map (db m52204) HM
1. Joseph Berry's Fort - West Bath; 2. Col. Noble's Fort - Pleasant Cove, built in 1734, a stockade with a guard house at each corner and another within the enclosure. "Without its protection the farmers did not dare work their fields."; 3. Clarke . . . — — Map (db m52199) HM
Like most other masonry forts built in the United States during the middle 1800s, Fort Popham is made up of a series of casemates. These are large enclosed spaces with high, arched ceilings and places for cannons to fire through wall openings. All . . . — — Map (db m52116) HM