Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint Clair County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Christopher Columbus Smith / Garfield A. "Gar" Wood Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, September 22, 2018
Christopher Columbus Smith / Garfield A. "Gar" Wood Marker
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — Christopher Columbus Smith / Garfield A. "Gar" Wood
Christopher Columbus Smith 1861 - 1939 created the sport of motor-boating in 1893 by installing a motor in a wooden boat and launching it in the St. Clair River at Algonac — three years before Henry Ford installed one in the first . . . — Map (db m123945) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — L711 — Clay Township Library
This Greek Revival home was built by Charles H. Beers around 1849. In 1914 it became the home and office of Dr. Walter E. Bostwick, who died in 1943. His widow, Cordella Sheill Bostwick, lived in the house until her death in 1948. In 1949 the . . . — Map (db m123876) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — S124 — Saint Andrew's Parish / Saint Andrew's Church
Saint Andrew's Parish Beginning in 1845 the Reverend Andrew Jamieson, an Anglican missionary, served Saint John the Baptist Church on nearby Walpole Island, Ontario. In the early 1860s, Jamieson (1814-1885) established a mission in Algonac. . . . — Map (db m123873) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — St. Clair River Habitat RestorationMarine City Drain Habitat Restoration
The St. Clair River is part of the connecting channels between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. It is a 40 mile strait that flows south from Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair. The river serves as a navigational passage as well as an ecosystem for a great . . . — Map (db m124058) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — St. Clair River Habitat RestorationCottrellville Township Shoreline
The St. Clair River is part of the connecting channels between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. It is a 40 mile strait that flows south from Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair. The river serves as a navigational passage as well as an ecosystem for a great . . . — Map (db m124059) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Algonac — S537 — Water Speed Capital
For more than a century, Algonac has played a leading role in ship building, from sailing cargo ships to large pleasure craft, racing boats and World War II landing craft. Between 1921 and 1932 Christopher Smith and Gar Wood built ten Miss . . . — Map (db m123847) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Fort Gratiot — L2219 — Lake Huron Water Supply Project/Tunnel Explosion
Lake Huron Water Supply Project In 1968, to serve the water needs of a growing population, the Detroit Metro Water Department began work on the Lake Huron Water Supply Project. This massive feat involved erecting a submerged intake crib . . . — Map (db m88947) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Fort Gratiot — The 1971 Water Tunnel Explosion Memorial

Side 1
This Memorial is dedicated in the memory of:
Manuel AbastaRomualdo Alvarez
James BeesleyRoswell Brown
Keith VernerGerald . . . — Map (db m91765)
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — L2197 — David and Laura Lester House
This house was likely built in stages between around 1855 and 1885 and reflects the prominence of David and Laura Rice Lester. David Lester (1823-1890), a shipbuilder, a ship owner, and a salt producer, played a key role in Marine City's economic . . . — Map (db m41189) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — L1833 — East China Fractional School District No. 2 School
East China Township was set off from China Township in 1859. In 1868 Harriet J. Comstock, an heir of pioneer Andrew J. Westbrook, sold a parcel of land to School District No. 2. A frame school, built on the site prior to 1853, was replaced by this . . . — Map (db m123723) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — Heritage Square Historic District
City Hall of Marine City was built in 1884 designed by the firm of George Dewitt Mason and Zachariah Rice, Detroit. Mason, principal designer, chose to reflect a style popularized by the Boston architect Henry Hobson Richardson and now known as . . . — Map (db m123788) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — L0546 — Holy Cross Parish
Father Gabriel Richard received this triangular plot of land by way of a grant from President John Quincy Adams on April 1, 1825. This area, known as Catholic Point, contains, among other buildings a church, a rectory, a convent, the former high . . . — Map (db m41196) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — L461 — Marine City
Built in 1884 at a cost of $12,300, this edifice has served continuously as the seat of local government. Marine City was incorporated as the village of Marine in 1865. It became Marine City in 1867. The first village president was David Lester, a . . . — Map (db m123786) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — L0683 — Newport Academy
Emily Ward established the Newport Academy about 1845 to provide educational opportunities for area children. Miss Ward was a niece of Samuel Ward, the founder of Newport (now Marine City), and the sister of Eber Brock Ward, a shipping magnate and . . . — Map (db m41199) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Marine City — Pêche Island Rear Range Lightc. 1905 - decommissioned 1982
This range light was originally located in American Waters, east of the mouth of the Detroit River, just north of the international border and north east of Pêche Island, Ontario, Canada It was brought to Marine City in 1982 through the . . . — Map (db m123840) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — S0404 — Huron Lightship
Commissioned in 1921, the Huron began service as a relief vessel for other Great Lakes lightships. She is ninety-seven feet long, twenty-four feet in beam, and carried a crew of eleven. On clear nights her beacon could be seen for fourteen miles. . . . — Map (db m41197) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — All Aboard!
This is the Fort Gratiot Station. It welcomed immigrants, settlers, military and other travelers to Port Huron during the late 19th century. The Grand Trunk Railway built this depot in 1858 and launched daily passenger service to Detroit the . . . — Map (db m76020) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Bridging the Blue Waters
People first crossed the St. Clair River using logs, rafts and canoes. Steam-powered ferries began carrying freight and people in the 1840s. The river current pushed tethered swing ferries from shore to shore. Later other ferries were used, and . . . — Map (db m76014) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Civil War Memorial
This boulder and tablet were placed here by The Department of Michigan Woman's Relief Corps in memory of and dedicated to The Civil War Veterans. 1861 - 1865 "They are sleeping in the valleys, They are sleeping 'neath the . . . — Map (db m76102) WM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Customhouse
October 6, 1988 This structure, which has served as the Port Huron, Michigan Customhouse since 1874, was dedicated as a Historic Bicentennial Customhouse in honor and recognition of U.S. Customs steadfast and vigilant service to the . . . — Map (db m76103) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Edison Homesite
Thomas Alva Edison was seven years old in 1854 when he and his family moved to Port Huron. They moved into a house on the Fort Gratiot Military Reservation, a short distance south of here. This is where young "Al" conducted his first experiments . . . — Map (db m76049) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — S0332 — Fort Gratiot Light
This lighthouse, oldest in Michigan, was built in 1829 to replace a tower destroyed by a storm. Lucius Lyon, the builder, was Deputy Surveyor General of the Northwest Territory and later a United States senator from Michigan. In the 1860s workers . . . — Map (db m41191) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Fort Gratiot Light
In 1825, A lighthouse was established near the mouth of the St. Clair River, at the southern end of Lake Huron. It sat just north of Fort Gratiot, a military outpost that would give the lighthouse its name. That light, of poor construction and . . . — Map (db m76077) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — S0080 — Fort Saint Joseph
Built near here in 1686 by the French explorer Duluth, this fort was the second white settlement in lower Michigan. This post guarded the upper end of the vital waterway joining Lake Erie and Lake Huron. Designed to bar English traders from the . . . — Map (db m41194) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Great Storm of 1913 and Sailors Memorial
[Side A] On November 7-10, 1913, two major storms collided over the Great Lakes. This created hurricane like winds that lasted over 16 hours, producing waves over forty feet tall. As the storm intensified, temperatures dropped below . . . — Map (db m76068) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Hammond American Legion Post 8 Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of all the departed Post 8 Legionnaires, Auxiliary and Sons of the Legion members — Map (db m76107) WM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — 970 — Harrington Hotel
The Harrington Hotel opened amid much fanfare in 1896. A unique blend of Romanesque, Classical and Queen Anne architecture, the hotel thrived for many years. As business declined due to the popularity of automobile travel, expressways and . . . — Map (db m76104) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Immigration
Many people coming to the United States from other lands entered through this depot. By 1881, more than 77,000 immigrants first stepped foot on American soil here. Port Huron folks gathered here to see and hear the new arrivals, fascinated by . . . — Map (db m79067) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Intersection of Military Road and Indian Reservation
This tablet marks the intersection of the eastern line of the Indian Reservation surveyed in 1810 provided by the treaty made Nov. 17, 1807 between the U.S. Government and the Chippewa, Ottawa, Pottawattamie [sic], and Wyandotte Indians with the . . . — Map (db m76101) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Keepers Duties
Daily Duties of a Keeper...... • Hand carry fuel up to the lantern room and fueling the lamp. • Trimming the wicks (later, replacing the mantles and pumping up the oil vaporizer). • Regularly cleaning and polishing (with jeweler's . . . — Map (db m76100) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Learning from Lake Huron
Lake Huron's basin was formed by glacier movement over 20,000 years ago. The lake was created when melting ice filled the basin gouged by the glaciers. Lake Huron took its present shape around 3,000 years ago. Lake Huron is the second largest . . . — Map (db m76081) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Making Tracks
The Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada opened the first track between here and Detroit in 1859. As years passed, other railroads reached Port Huron. A line to Flint opened in 1871. Another extended into the Thumb in 1879. In 1886, the Port . . . — Map (db m76046) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — L1506 — Methodist Episcopal Church
(Side A) This congregation dates from 1849, when people worshipped in log barracks within Fort Gratiot. Known as the Mission of Fort Gratiot, it was served by circuit riders until 1859 when the Reverend Samuel Clemens began his tenure. The . . . — Map (db m41198) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Native Americans
Archaeologists found evidence of a native village (circa 1000 A.D.) located one block north of where you are standing. These prehistoric people fished the waters of Lake Huron and the St. Clair River, hunted game and gathered foods in nearby . . . — Map (db m76016) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — 2160 — Port Huron Public Library
In 1902 the city of Port Huron secured money from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to erect a municipal library. Two years later, this grand, Beaux-Arts-style building was completed at a cost of $45,000. Chicago architects Patton and Miller . . . — Map (db m76105) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Seeing the Light
Evolution of Lighting the Way It has long been documented that the first shoreline lights were wood burning fires set on hillsides. Later, these wood fires were moved to the top of man-made towers. Wood however proved to be inefficient, as . . . — Map (db m76076) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Sending a Signal
Dense fog on Lake Huron could spell disaster to vessels filled with passengers and valuable cargo. When fog was present and visibility was poor, mariners were forced to rely on sound to navigate their way into the St. Clair River. Early fog . . . — Map (db m76083) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Ships on the St. Clair
The St. Clair River has always been an important part of the Great Lakes system. For centuries native people traveled throughout the region in canoes, as did the early French fur traders. In 1679, LaSalle's Griffon was the first sailing . . . — Map (db m76015) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — The "John S. Martin"
On August 4, 1900, the "Fontana" sank while in these narrows. Several weeks later, on September 25, 1900, the "Martin", a 225 foot schooner with a load of iron ore, was being towed downbound from Lake Huron by the steamer "Grover". In attempting to . . . — Map (db m41203) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — The Storm
The Great Storm of 1913 lasted from November 7th through the 11th. It is often referred to as the "Big Blow", the "Freshwater Fury" or the "White Hurricane". The storm hit four of the five Great Lakes, and was particularly ferocious in Lake . . . — Map (db m76080) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Thomas Alva Edison
[Bas relief panels highlight significant events in Edison's life, including] Edison the railroad entrepreneur Edison the young scientist Edison inventions — Map (db m76067) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — 283 — Tom Edison at Grand Trunk
The Grand Trunk Railroad depot to the right is where 12-year-old Tom Edison departed daily on the Port Huron-Detroit run. In 1859, the railroad's first year of operation. Tom persuaded the company to let him sell newspapers and confections on . . . — Map (db m76017) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Underground Railroad
Prior to the Civil War, African American slaves, in brave and desperate attempts to flee from slave owners in the Southern states, passed through Port Huron via the Underground Railroad. It was not a real railroad but a system of routes where . . . — Map (db m76050) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Wilderness Outpost
Fort Gratiot was built by the U.S. Army in 1814 to guard the strategic junction of Lake Huron and the St. Clair River. Troops stood ready to defend Michigan and the U.S. against British forces in Canada. As settlement moved westward, the fort . . . — Map (db m76048) HM

44 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.